Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
2021-2022 MAVS NEWS: 4th in West | WCF loss [ARCHIVED]
(05-16-2022, 11:59 AM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The way I see it, we have 6 guys right now that I really trust to play big minutes in the playoffs: Luka, Brunson, Dinwiddie, Finney-Smith, Bullock, and Maxi. That is our core and they allow us to play with the identity we have created for ourselves. Thus, we should not be moving any of those guys right now. We should only be looking to add to that core at this point.

Where we should be looking for upgrades is over guys like Powell, Bertans, Green and Ntilikina. Hopefully Green and Ntilikina can improve naturally and negate the need to upgrade them, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look around. I would like to find a regular season rotation big in the Steven Adams mold to upgrade Powell and I would really love another DFS/Bullock type wing to lessen the reliance on Bertans, Green, and Frank.

I completely agree with about 98% of this. Mostly in the distinction as to who is the core, and who might be expendable.

I would be glad to upgrade Powell to a better rim-protecting C if we could, but wouldn't target Adams or someone who is big and bulky. Powell is limited in his utility, of course, but alternatives are likely to be as well.

As for another 3-and-D guy, I think it will be hard to land one in free agency or trade given the limits of our usable assets, but I'm optimistic that either Green, Franky, or both have the potential to get there, and would probably be the best way to invest backup minutes.
Like Reply
(05-16-2022, 11:59 AM)sterlingmallory Wrote: The way I see it, we have 6 guys right now that I really trust to play big minutes in the playoffs: Luka, Brunson, Dinwiddie, Finney-Smith, Bullock, and Maxi. That is our core and they allow us to play with the identity we have created for ourselves. Thus, we should not be moving any of those guys right now. We should only be looking to add to that core at this point.

Where we should be looking for upgrades is over guys like Powell, Bertans, Green and Ntilikina. Hopefully Green and Ntilikina can improve naturally and negate the need to upgrade them, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look around. I would like to find a regular season rotation big in the Steven Adams mold to upgrade Powell and I would really love another DFS/Bullock type wing to lessen the reliance on Bertans, Green, and Frank.
I think THJ is a little bit of an unknown. We know he plays hard, is a streaky shooter and a good team mate. We don't know if he can perform at a level to keep the defense effective. Or if Kidd feels he would contribute to the rotation.

But if he comes back strong, then he may provide more 3-D depth in a rotation with Bullock/Brunson/Dinwiddie. THJ is known as a sharpshooter, but he has some ability to go downhill, especially if the opponent over-commits to Luka. 

If we can keep JB and THJ helps with wing depth then the only improvement to focus on is finding depth at the 4/5. Which shouldn't be someone playing on a max contract.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • Jommybone, Mapka
Like Reply
(05-16-2022, 08:44 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: That would be quite the development. Most of the time he looks lost on the court. I agree he has the athleticism, he has to want it though and that's why he has bounced around the league.

If I counted years right, at Chriss’s age (24), Maxi wasn’t even in the league yet. So bouncing around places Chriss a wee bit ahead on the development path, no?
Like Reply
(05-16-2022, 08:47 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Simmons/Rusillo both think Looney won't even play much in this series. We'll see, but nobody is saying that about Kleber.

Amigo, you’re making my point for me, right? Kleber is an important cog for us and would put a team like GSW over the top. We’d have no chance if he played for the other team. The idea that we should auction him off this summer is nutso.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply

Like your philosophy. Agree with Gump that Josh and Frank are real possibilities for upgrading within. Perhaps I’m alone in seeing the same in Chriss. (I think Frank will be a significant asset a year from now, Josh in 2 years, and Chriss in 3.)

Would love to have Adams on the bench in the Boban role. He could really help in the 10 or so regular-season games in which we’re getting physically abused without any whistles. But that’s a vet min role and not a Powell replacement. To get consistent burn here, you need a 3-ball and the ability to defend the perimeter. Powell will be the last Maverick ever, I suspect, to get PT without this dual skill set.
Like Reply
(05-16-2022, 09:53 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Nobody needs to agree with the logic, but "smoking crack" is dismissive of the fact that there are real reasons to trade Maxi this offseason:

1) Asset management. Sell high for once. 
2) He is shooting an unsustainable 49.2% from three in the playoffs.
3) He is turning 31 toward the beginning of next season.
4) You cannot rely on him to give you much more than 20-25 mins.
5) He has long term durability issues with his back. 
6) He has been fantastic in the playoffs (GREAT!) and yet the Mavs have been outscored when he has been on the court over the 13 games combined.

Again, nobody is being the "thought police" here (think what you want and disagree) but I think disparaging the opinions of others (as "crack smoking") isn't helpful to discourse and realizing roster decisions are complex and difficult.

Sorry, sir. Didn’t mean it as an insult. I thought (perhaps wrongly) that “smoking crack” was a playful, fun way to express strong disagreement. That’s all. 

I know you’re a smart dude. And I applaud you sticking to your opinions in the face of pretty forceful opposition here. Looks like we’ve talked you (some of us) off the trade-Brunson wagon of late. But not the Maxi one. I plan to keep trying. Hopefully my efforts will not come off as anything but respectful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 12:45 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Amigo, you’re making my point for me, right? Kleber is an important cog for us and would put a team like GSW over the top. We’d have no chance if he played for the other team. The idea that we should auction him off this summer is nutso.

That was my point, yes.
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 12:41 AM)Jommybone Wrote: If I counted years right, at Chriss’s age (24), Maxi wasn’t even in the league yet. So bouncing around places Chriss a wee bit ahead on the development path, no?

I'm not against holding onto Chriss at the minimum for long term development, but I think it needs to be looked at as a long term project (and one that probably wont hit).  Green and Frank are different in that they already have a useful NBA skill (defense).  Chriss is not particularly good defensively while being just as lost offensively as the other two.
Like Reply

All love from RC.  With extra praise for "his" home grown guys. Maxi, DFS, Brunson and Powell.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-16-2022, 02:01 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I think THJ is a little bit of an unknown. We know he plays hard, is a streaky shooter and a good team mate. We don't know if he can perform at a level to keep the defense effective. Or if Kidd feels he would contribute to the rotation.

But if he comes back strong, then he may provide more 3-D depth in a rotation with Bullock/Brunson/Dinwiddie. THJ is known as a sharpshooter, but he has some ability to go downhill, especially if the opponent over-commits to Luka. 

If we can keep JB and THJ helps with wing depth then the only improvement to focus on is finding depth at the 4/5. Which shouldn't be someone playing on a max contract.

I'm kinda surprised how "good" Bertans fit into this defense.

I think we are at a point where real improving might need a worldbeater, but we just don't have the role or salary slot for that.
Like Reply
Very Mavs-centric listen. I highly recommend.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0561687430
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Hypermav, SleepingHero, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 12:41 AM)Jommybone Wrote: If I counted years right, at Chriss’s age (24), Maxi wasn’t even in the league yet. So bouncing around places Chriss a wee bit ahead on the development path, no?

No. But if that's how you see it, fair enough. He's 24 was drafted by the Kings, traded to the Suns, then traded to the Rockets, then traded to the Cavs, waived, then signed a 2 way with the Dubs, waived, then brought back, then traded to the Spurs, waived, then signed 2 ten day deals with the Mavs before signing a 2 year deal.  How is he going to develop after all that? Maybe the Mavs try to. He's a NBA gypsy at 24 yrs old. And why is Maxi's name mentioned?
[-] The following 2 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • ballsrchr, MFFL
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 03:36 AM)Mapka Wrote: I'm kinda surprised how "good" Bertans fit into this defense.

I think we are at a point where real improving might need a worldbeater, but we just don't have the role or salary slot for that.

Bertans has been good as a 10 minute spark of offense off the bench at the 4 spot.  

What we need is somebody who can play legit playoff minutes at the 5 spot.  I don't see Bertans impacting that need at all.
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 09:10 AM)mvossman Wrote: Bertans has been good as a 10 minute spark of offense off the bench at the 4 spot.  

What we need is somebody who can play legit playoff minutes at the 5 spot.  I don't see Bertans impacting that need at all.

To me the players to play "legit playoff minutes at the 5 spot" for us come down to like Bam, Jokic, Maxi and Luka, maybe D.Green or Robert Williams. Everybody else is at least a risk or a project.

I don´t say Bertans is perfect or a good solution. But to be better than him in the third big role isn´t that easy either. Would still love to have Aquaman. lol.
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 10:10 AM)Mapka Wrote: To me the players to play "legit playoff minutes at the 5 spot" for us come down to like Bam, Jokic, Maxi and Luka, maybe D.Green or Robert Williams. Everybody else is at least a risk or a project.

I don´t say Bertans is perfect or a good solution. But to be better than him in the third big role isn´t that easy either. Would still love to have Aquaman. lol.

This post is confusing to me.  I could probably easily list 30 guys I would rather getting playoff minutes at the 5 than Powell.  The number is probably a lot higher than that, and that is before we talk about depth concerns.  It would not be nearly as hard as you are making it out to be to improve that position.

Also don't know why we are talking about Bertans in regards to center minutes.  The number of guys I would rather getting center minutes than Bertans is probably double the Powell number.
Like Reply

I'm of the opinion that if Golden State lets you go then you aren't going to develop to be anything other than end of the bench fodder
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 09:01 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: No. But if that's how you see it, fair enough. He's 24 was drafted by the Kings, traded to the Suns, then traded to the Rockets, then traded to the Cavs, waived, then signed a 2 way with the Dubs, waived, then brought back, then traded to the Spurs, waived, then signed 2 ten day deals with the Mavs before signing a 2 year deal.  How is he going to develop after all that? Maybe the Mavs try to. He's a NBA gypsy at 24 yrs old. And why is Maxi's name mentioned?

We were discussing the need to find “another Maxi,” and I was saying Chriss has a chance to develop into one. That’s why Maxi’s name is mentioned. 

At Chriss’s age, Maxi hadn’t yet made an NBA squad. 

I know trusting the ole Mavs’ Brain Trust is a relic of Fish’s board and far out of fashion these days. But I always thought they were onto something in saying centers develop more slowly and don’t usually come into their own till around age 30. Chriss’s talent and contract are serious pluses for him. We’ve all seen flashes on the court. I’d try hard to keep him around another 2-3 years, as long as he’s working at it. Could very well be a pot of gold at the end of his rainbow.
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 04:22 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Very Mavs-centric listen. I highly recommend.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/th...0561687430

Ben Taylor is just the absolute pinnacle of high-level in-depth basketball discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekU6-AMcU6M

He also just released a video summarizing his thoughts from the podcast with examples!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 6 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Hypermav, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic, loki, MFFL, VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 07:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He also just released a video summarizing his thoughts from the podcast with examples!

My takeaway watching the video:

Not only is the scheme well designed, the players have been coached-the-hell-up! It is wild watching how attentive everyone is on the defensive end, communicating, and in-sync with their rotations and movements. Such a thing of beauty. Amazing buy in from players that in their own right aren't all-world defenders.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • Hypermav, KillerLeft, LifeAquatic
Like Reply
(05-17-2022, 08:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Amazing buy in from players that in their own right aren't all-world defenders

Yes, amazing buy-in from all of those guys, AND from Dorian Finney-Smith, TOO!!!

Great job this season by coach Kidd. Not only did he do a great job, but he also built a great staff and was smart enough to bring Gurgich back recently. I was wrong to be worried about him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply