Poll: Will JRich wear a Mavs jersey in November
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
8.89%
4 8.89%
No
91.11%
41 91.11%
Total 45 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will JRich be a Maverick in November
Lets continue with the fan favorite. What do you think Mavs will do?
Like Reply
JRich had a tough season. Came with great expectations for fan favorite Curry and didn't deliver. He has an 11 mil player option and two weeks left to decide. So his future with Mavs depends on what he wants (take the option or not) and what Mavs will do - trade him or not. 

JRich is at the start of his prime so there is plenty years left for another solid contract. I think it is very likely Mavs don't see him as part of next season rotation. So if he stays with Mavs he can collect his paycheck but his market value might even further reduce. So JRich can opt out and choose his next team, even if on a one year prove it deal, to raise his value and sign another long term deal. 

If JRich decides to stay with Mavs, there is of course an option to trade him. But repeating Wright story with paying assets just to get rid of him might not be the smartest way to go. 

I think JRich will not take his option and go somewhere where he will have big minutes to ramp up his market value.
Like Reply
I don’t think he will be here, but I’m not sure on the how.  This is a Duffy guy, so we can’t just send him to Siberia.  Parking him on the bench for a year isn’t the best strategy either from an agent relations standpoint.   It would be nice if he were to opt out as we’d have a clean slate to work with.  But you can also leverage his salary if he opts in and you find the right situation.

He could actually opt in before the draft to facilitate a draft day deal if he approved the destination.  Otherwise, he’d just wait until after the draft.  He has to decide by at least 8/1 and Dallas could trade him before free agency starts if they had a deal they liked.

If he opts in, the most useful he could be is in signing a FA away from a team with hard cap issues that needs to fill the slot and can’t use the MLE or a S&T.  We can agree to sign someone for up to $16.6 and then work out the S&T as JRich is a straight trade, not a S&T.  You don’t get the leverage if you sign a higher dollar player, but you still get to spend all of your $34mm.  I’ve long thought he might end up in Chicago largely because Duffy has so much leverage there.
Like Reply
I think there is a chance that if he opts in, they’ll take the KP strategy with him. “Let’s see how he responds to Kidd wrapping his arms around him.”

I’ve thrown out the thought that he might be a better player the more comfortable he is with his team and teammates, similar to Conley in Utah. 

If he has no trade value at $11M, why would he opt out to get less money? New philosophy/coaching but more familiarity to teammates might give him a bounce-back season. I put the odds at 60/40 he goes.
Like Reply
So far 14 no and 0 yes... Big Grin
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I think it is safe bet he isn't staying.
I think most likely scenario is that he opts in and we will work with his agent to find a decent trade for him.
Like Reply
I would have said no before Carlisle quit but now I'd say it is a coin toss.
Like Reply
No.

Richardson was Donnie Nelson’s move. Absolutely mucked up Bob’s great Curry contract.

Donnie was pantsed by Daryl, no other way around it. Donnie also made the loss on Delon Wright much worse - follow the lineage of assets on that one, train wreck.

Luka did not even know about Bob until Donnie started whining about it to Duffy. Sabotage. And then Donnie sends his loyalists to whisper to media, rather than being transparent and honest with his boss. An absolutely deserved firing.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:11 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Bob

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Bob knows about the offseason plans. You can’t let him go until the major transaction period is over, come on.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:15 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: Bob knows about the offseason plans. You can’t let him go until the major transaction period is over, come on.

Haha.....I am talking about your schtick!
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Haha.....I am talking about your schtick!

I wish this was about personal attention. This is all played out before our eyes, sadly - roster construction and on-court events.

The eyes and the numbers said Richardson was ass. Why was Green not given a real shot at those minutes? It went well in Miami…
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:28 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: This is all played out before our eyes, sadly - roster construction and on-court events.

The eyes and the numbers said Richardson was ass. Why was Green not given a real shot at those minutes?

FOR SURE. I 100% agree with your take on JRich and the failures surrounding that. And I actually think Voulgaris probably is a voice worth listening to on most occasions.
Like Reply
JRich's time here I think has come to an end. I feel like Richardson's performance here was less about the coaching staff putting him in a subpar position, but rather he just lacks the skillset to succeed next to Luka. He's a poor 3pt shooter. He doesn't really create his own shot. His defense at times was lackluster.

So if he can't shoot, defend, or pass, he doesn't really deserve a spot here. Trading for him was unfortunately a massive mistake.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:52 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: JRich's time here I think has come to an end. I feel like Richardson's performance here was less about the coaching staff putting him in a subpar position, but rather he just lacks the skillset to succeed next to Luka. He's a poor 3pt shooter. He doesn't really create his own shot. His defense at times was lackluster.

So if he can't shoot, defend, or pass, he doesn't really deserve a spot here. Trading for him was unfortunately a massive mistake.

I think the biggest problem was that he did not try hard. Not sure why, because this was a contract year and he was given more leash than almost anybody else. Maybe the lack of veteran accountability was the problem.

Obviously whether he gets traded depends on the trade. I don´t see another Delon Wright scenario, meaning giving up future assets just for the sake of trading him away for capspace. They´ll probably rather try to see whether a new coach and system can make him a valuable player. If he gets traded it will be to match salaries in a biggger move or to acquire an "equally bad" player on a similar contract.
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:28 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I wish this was about personal attention. 

[Image: InsignificantDazzlingAmurstarfish-size_restricted.gif]
Like Reply
(07-18-2021, 01:28 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I wish this was about personal attention. This is all played out before our eyes, sadly - roster construction and on-court events.

The eyes and the numbers said Richardson was ass. Why was Green not given a real shot at those minutes? It went well in Miami…

He isn't just the board's biggest troll, but its most intelligent as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
Doubt it. He retired in 2015 citing health concerns and is in his 40s now.
Like Reply
Richardson was an unreliable scorer. He made THJ look like the gold standard. 
Defensively never lived up to billing. Ball handling was always an adventure. 

He had what? One good season in Miami, but hasn't been able to get back to that level since?

He's had his chance here. Time to move on, even if that means trading him after the opt in.
Like Reply
If he opts in it might be better to hold onto him until the deadline rather than give him away for a crappy pick and a TPE or someone elses garbage.
Like Reply