Poll: How should we set up the gamethread & Dirkie poll?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Separate gamethread, post-gamethread, and Dirkie poll.
14.29%
4 14.29%
Separate gamethread and Dirkie poll.
53.57%
15 53.57%
Combine gamethread and Dirkie poll (adding poll AFTER the game).
32.14%
9 32.14%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How should we set up gamethread & Dirkie poll?
Question 
We want to see what the community thinks about how we set up the gamethread and the Dirkie poll.... So please share your thoughts!
Like Reply
My only gripe was the Dirkie being up before the game seemed to confuse posters and skewed the poll...I voted for the 2nd but the 3rd is also good...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I like them split but whatever you decide is fine.  Like Clutch said, maybe wait on the poll until the game is over.
Like Reply
I like the thread of the game and then another one for the dirkie. That way, everyone can share their postgame comments while also voting.
Like Reply
Either a post-game Dirkie thread or a poll being added to the gametthread afterwards sound good to me. 

A gamethread + post game thread + Dirkie thread seems like too much.
Like Reply
I loved the old way of having a game thread as its own and a Dirkie as its own personally. Seemed really simple and was a way for more post game talk as well without having to jump back into the old game thread.
Like Reply
Don't know about how the Dirkie poll should be set up, but I'm not big on a Dirkie poll anyway. It's always going to be Luka or KP, unless they both threw up dogs of games and we lost, in which case there isn't a Dirkie. I would far rather have a post-game poll of the JET - who was the best of the other guys on roster on that particular night. We have such an interesting and sizeable stable of pretty-good guys next to Luka and KP; it will be interesting to see who helps the most.
Like Reply
I like the idea of a postgame thread with the Dirkie poll, because it spurs more discussion of the game and cleanly separates the conversation during and after the game.

But adding the poll after the game is just as good too.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-24-2019, 04:20 PM)Mak Wrote: Either a post-game Dirkie thread or a poll being added to the gametthread afterwards sound good to me.

that's what I'd like. Discussion can smoothly move over from in-game to post game without an inorganic break between threads and adding the poll after game will avoid all the premature votes we currently see.
Like Reply
(10-24-2019, 09:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Don't know about how the Dirkie poll should be set up, but I'm not big on a Dirkie poll anyway. It's always going to be Luka or KP, unless they both threw up dogs of games and we lost, in which case there isn't a Dirkie. I would far rather have a post-game poll of the JET - who was the best of the other guys on roster on that particular night. We have such an interesting and sizeable stable of pretty-good guys next to Luka and KP; it will be interesting to see who helps the most.

I like that. For what its worth, the original “Dirkie” was actually meant to recognize exactly the type of player you’re describing — the most underrated / overperforming player of the night.

Dirk would almost always be the ‘player of the game’ and he was obviously the clear-cut #1 player over the course of the season for the team — so the Dirk-ie was created to recognize whoever stepped up to be Dirk’s “Dirkie” on any given night, which would be a different player all the time. At some point tho people just started voting for the best player overall tho. 

It sounds kinda weird now that I type it all out but it made perfect sense at the time lol. 

If we resume goin by that standard, I’d only vote for Luka or KP if they have an outstanding performance relative to their own expectation.
Like Reply
The Dirkie poll/post can serve as a post game poll. Like that.
Like Reply
Ok here is what I am getting from this:

1) We have a separate gamethread and Dirkie thread. I will take the gamethread. Clutch you want to man the Dirkie thread?

2) The Dirkie is for the best supporting player of the game (Luka & KP are not eligible). 

Am I missing anything?
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 10:29 AM)Mak Wrote: I like that. For what its worth, the original “Dirkie” was actually meant to recognize exactly the type of player you’re describing — the most underrated / overperforming player of the night.

Dirk would almost always be the ‘player of the game’ and he was obviously the clear-cut #1 player over the course of the season for the team — so the Dirk-ie was created to recognize whoever stepped up to be Dirk’s “Dirkie” on any given night, which would be a different player all the time. At some point tho people just started voting for the best player overall tho. 

It sounds kinda weird now that I type it all out but it made perfect sense at the time lol. 

If we resume goin by that standard, I’d only vote for Luka or KP if they have an outstanding performance relative to their own expectation.

THANK YOU! Precisely! 

I have always loved the Dirkie, but this is why i have. The purpose of the award was NOT to go to the actual Dirk of the team(or Luka/Porzingis in this new era) you would give the award to the JETs or the Marions of that game. The guys who were the X-Factor and were the best reason we won, outside of our star/s.

Once in a blue moon Dirk would shine so hard, we would give it to him. This was always known to be an exception to the rule, not the standard. 

So 90-95% of the time Luka and Porzingis should not be awarded the Dirkie. It should be the Curry/Wright/THJ/JJB/Brunson/Powell/Jacksons/DFS of the crew.

Then only if the rest of the team stunk but Luka and/or Porzingis stepped it up so much that we absolutely shouldn't be giving it to anyone else? That is the only time Luka or Porz should get it.
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 02:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Ok here is what I am getting from this:

1) We have a separate gamethread and Dirkie thread. I will take the gamethread. Clutch you want to man the Dirkie thread?

2) The Dirkie is for the best supporting player of the game (Luka & KP are not eligible). 

Am I missing anything?

I think that's reasonable. In general I like distinct threads as they are easier to navigate. If we edit threads to accommodate new information I think the titel should state the page where the new relevant information starts.
I'm rather annoyed having to search for it. Furthermore when a title changes I might confuse it with a new topic.
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 02:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Ok here is what I am getting from this:

Am I missing anything?
I would not be able to do it consistently...maybe someone else could do it...any volunteers who would be able to do it at least most nights or every game?...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I voted for 3 but am fine with 2. I like the emphasis on the best star for the night of the not so usual suspects. I also like the ability to give it to Luka or KP when they are incredible or hit a huge game winner etc. 

Am I crazy or did we used to only have a Dirkie when we win. We are trying to make the playoffs. Wins matter!

Flip side: If we are going for who did best out of players 3-12, I would be great with voting for that every night.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(10-25-2019, 06:45 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Am I crazy or did we used to only have a Dirkie when we win. We are trying to make the playoffs. Wins matter!

Yep. On previous boards, we only had a Dirkie after a win.
Like Reply