Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-23-2021, 07:37 PM)F Gump Wrote: Mavsluvr Wrote: "The Mavs aren't going to let Luka walk if he insists on a 3+1 instead of a 4+1, especially if they see the business sense in it. Maybe they'll surprise me and make him take the QO instead, who knows, but that would be really self-destructive, imho."

I'm surprised you are defaulting to a strawman featuring the most negative extreme of what could happen (something so extreme, it has never happened in NBA history) as your talking point for the alternative that will happen if the Mavs don't cave to Luka's wildest whim.

You say "Duffy will ask for the 3+1, and if the Mavs don't give it, they're stuck with him signing the QO." Two alternatives. C'mon, you know better. That's not how it works, not even close.

Nor is it where these max player extension negotiations end up.

No player has ever turned down a max-max rookie extension to play it out. The alternative is awful. It entails TWO YEARS of no additional guarantee, risk is all on him, and eventually in two years he can sign for LESS than he was offered in the first place (in the best case scenario).

Instead they take the big money before year 4 even begins. Mavs know that. Duffy knows that. It's in Luka's best interest to get life-changing money GUARANTEED and locked in before anything changes the equation. The agent wins too, by doing the big deal now. In addition, it's in the player's best interest to lock in with a team he likes, and wants to see them rise, assuming he likes where he is.

So they always take that deal if offered. Always.

Your approach in defaulting past all sorts of compromise possibilities, to the most extreme negative (one that's so very very very very unlikely), makes me ask --

What's the deal? Usually you are more rational and don't push wildly unlikely, wildly negative answers.

Perhaps you think the Mavs are that inept as negotiators?
Or that they are such a mess right now, that they are weak and will be bluffed into something crazy?

You may be right, of course. But I really don't think they are that broken. This is easy stuff for front offices.
Thanks for your thoughts, F Gump. I appreciate your taking the time to write them out. 

However, since we are being honest with each other here, I am surprised that you are devoting this much energy to insisting that Luka will take a long deal, since neither one of us can know what will happen, and it is almost sure  to be 3+1, 4+1, or 5. In response to what I was trying to say, it seems like a lot of quibbling, tbh. 

The point wasn't that Luka is certain to take one length deal rather than another. The point was that the team does not necessarily have five or six years to get their contending roster together. 
Some people seemed to be assuming that they would have five years in addition to this coming season, and I was just pointing out that that is not necessarily the case, and citing a more knowledgeable source than myself for the idea. 

Peace out, bro. I enjoy reading your stuff. You raise some good points, they just didn't seem responsive to me, and they seemed to be delivered in an antagonistic manner, to my surprise. Please do not take this reply as dismissive or disrespectful in any way.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by Tyler - 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by omahen - 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM
RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - by mavsluvr - 06-23-2021, 08:21 PM