Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-23-2021, 02:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: "And for the record, just because I loathe the way Cuban has chosen to operate doesn't mean that every move will automatically be the wrong one! "

I think this is a smart view. And I think it applies to analyzing the past as well as the future.

The fact is, Cuban has been (and will continue to be, by all reports and indications), the sole decision-maker for the Mavs' basketball operations. He takes the input of various others (as well as his own counsel), weighs what that tells him, and then makes a decision. As a result, since everything filters through him, the Mavs are limited by his own abilities, biases, and willingness to listen.

It's understandable that he wants to hire more voices and add opinions before he makes a decision on additional hires.

My criticism of this approach isn't that he never can get it right, but that he just doesn't have the personal skills (or perhaps willingness to defer) to run a superior roster-building operation at the highest level in the NBA. Every decision and weakness impacts the value of everything else you do. It's a very competitive business, and the differences are at the margins. Others seem to have way better ability to work the cap, evaluate, negotiate contracts, and attract talent. With the same guy continuing to lead the way, I'm not sure how they'll fix those deficiencies.

I have no idea how quick or long it takes to turn a roster around...but...assuming Luka signs his rookie Max...if Mark doesnt turn things around with what...2 or 3 years left on his contract?...that Luka and Duffy will force Mark to change his ways or force him to get the guys they want.

I assume Luka is already pretty involved given that he is MJ/Lebron territory...but it seems pretty reasonable that Cubes has a couple of years to figure this out or Luka and Duffy will.  Or am I waaaay off base?  Mark will let Luka walk?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by Tyler - 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by omahen - 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM
RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - by dynamicalVoid - 06-23-2021, 02:11 PM