Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-18-2021, 01:55 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: @"KillerLeft"

Agree that we are likely to move toward more analytics and not less. 

- The wave is already strong and Cuban has been riding it.
- Cuban is a progressive at heart and believes whole heartedly in this sort of thing.
- Cuban might even have his ego tied to it.

My take on analytics is basically they help you see the things your eyes/brain might ignore/forget/not see. Making decisions that are obvious is most important, but making decisions that are not obvious is 2nd most important. Carlisle I think had a good feel for that. I wonder if the analytics told him to rest Luka at 6min.

Yeah, I have no problem with analytics at all. Using data (provided you understand it) to overcome human bias can and should be a positive thing. 

I have a slight problem with the idea that mathematics offer a bridge to absolute truth about something like basketball, to the point where a lifetime of experience in basketball is no longer relevant. I could be talked into the concept that such an understanding is possible, but I don't think we're within a century of being smart enough to truly think that way effectively. Right now, it's just a part of the puzzle. Putting the puzzle together should be the goal, not the method. 

I don't want to believe that Carlisle went against his own judgment as coach and deferred to someone in situations where he didn't agree. I really don't. That would cause me to lose some respect for him. And yet, that thought is out there, and it is something I can imagine. Gross. 

Regarding Porzingis, I just don't connect the dots in such a way that leads me to believe he was held back by some "old school coach." It seems very likely that regardless of who was most responsible, the analytics guys or the coach (who has become an analytics guy, according to many), it was the analytics that decided KP post ups were bad, not someone's gut feeling. 

Unless we think the next coach will be less "modern" than Carlisle, I find any prediction that KP will be more involved quite curious. My guess would be less involved, at least in the way KP's most ardent fans envision.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by Tyler - 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by omahen - 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM
RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - by KillerLeft - 06-18-2021, 02:16 PM