Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
NEWS: RC out | Kidd hired as head coach & assembling staff
(06-18-2021, 01:33 PM)Mak Wrote: I’m worried about the impact these changes could have on KP too. The NBA might not be ready for it. The league can barely handle the Mavs with him being a side piece spacer next to Luka. Imagine how they’ll react when he’s actually more involved!

It's interesting to me that you believe Carlisle is the reason for KP's lack of involvement.

People who want to see KP "more involved" have always blamed analytics for this. They've blamed Carlisle for being too analytics-driven. 

Now, we learn that an analytics guy has been meddling recently (pretty much the exact window KP has been here) and that it reached a point where some Mavericks players believed HE was determining the coaching strategies and rotations. Probably way overblown, but that thought is out there, and there's no question that Carlisle has used more and more analytics as the years have progressed. 

Clearly, the analytics say KP should just space the floor. His efficiency has actually improved in Dallas, even if his impact hasn't. 

My read between the lines is that Donnie was the dude who wanted KP here, and that Carlisle sided (on that issue) with the analytics guy(s). 

Donnie clearly wanted more ball-sharing, based on his comments. KP was a big part of that thinking, because those quotes were generated by questions about him, specifically. In the past, Carlisle has valued multiple ball-handlers playing simultaneously, pretty much right up until the point where this Bob guy came into the picture. I don't know that there's correlation there - might be just coincidence

Are you saying you expect the next coach to be MORE old-school than Carlisle? I mean, I'm sure Stan Van Gundy would get KP "more involved." Just one example. 

My guess is that this might be trending more towards analytics, not further away, and that it might be a worse situation for KP in some ways, but that the upheaval, or more accurately the timing of it, might ensure that he's back here to experience the discomfort of it.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by Tyler - 06-17-2021, 03:25 PM
RE: NEWS: RC has stepped down in DAL - by omahen - 06-17-2021, 03:31 PM
RE: NEWS: RC out in DAL | Mosley favorite? | new GM before coach hire - by KillerLeft - 06-18-2021, 01:46 PM