Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimmicks
If you have to rely on gimmicks to win a series, you are not good enough. 

I love Boban but the Boban experiment is what it is. We won an extra game and nearly pulled off the upset with this move. Carlisle pulling rabbits out of hats is something of an advantage for us,  but we can’t expect every move Carlisle makes to be a magic move. If Carlisle has good enough players, he can win another championship as our coach. 
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 06:39 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: If you have to rely on gimmicks to win a series, you are not good enough. 

I love Boban but the Boban experiment is what it is. We won an extra game and nearly pulled off the upset with this move. Carlisle pulling rabbits out of hats is something of an advantage for us,  but we can’t expect every move Carlisle makes to be a magic move. If Carlisle has good enough players, he can win another championship as our coach. 

I thought KP and DFS did okay playing that 3--2 zone but it sure does make you miss the days of Kidd, Tyson, and Matrix.
Like Reply
I concur.
Like Reply
KP is a gimmick.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 06:39 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: If you have to rely on gimmicks to win a series, you are not good enough. 

What tha?! You mean like starting 6' 8" Marcus Morris at center? 

The Clippers were the ones who junked up this series with small ball. 

Sure, Mavs had no good answer, so Boban. It was worth a shot and sure looked like he gave them the best chance of winning. But it's not like Dallas wanted to start him.
Like Reply
When the Mavs were up 2-0, I made a point to talk about how the Mavs knew several different ways to play using only their best players, and that LAC was struggling to identify who their top players even were. That was true, then.

Since then, however, the Clippers made some moves, particularly in the front court, but also in the backcourt, to identify a way to play THEIR best players that somehow forced Carlisle to play freaking Boban and Burke. That's when I knew the series was over. 

Lue chose Jackson over Beverley, and he chose Morris over Ibaka/Zubac. Other that some spot minutes for Zubac here and there, all those dudes completely exited the series early. Kennard played a bit in the last two games in an effort to bust the Mavs' zone, but other than that they basically shortened their rotation to the tightest possible version of it. 

How did Carlisle respond? Boban. A gimmick. I get that KP wasn't giving the team what it needed to exploit the small ball lineup, but for $30 million, I would've gone down letting him try. It was the only chance this roster had, imo. If anything, I would've mixed in more Powell.
Like Reply
(06-07-2021, 11:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: the Clippers made some moves, particularly in the front court, but also in the backcourt, to identify a way to play THEIR best players that somehow forced Carlisle to play freaking Boban and Burke. That's when I knew the series was over. 

Nailed it.

If you told me the Mavs would have to start Bobi, and he would play 32 minutes, I'd guess the Mavs would lose by 30.
Like Reply