Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thread for fathers
So, my son is nearly seven years old, and I’ve been bombarding him with Mavs and basketball since birth, but this is the first season he’s been able to really follow it.

We got him an NBA book at the start of last season, with all the rosters and players stats, etc, and he’s been pouring over it recently, asking lots of questions about all the players.

We live in Japan, so his first language is Japanese, but his English is just about native level, and over the last few months he’s been obsessively watching the NBA top plays every day, and he’s even started watching “Shaqtin’ a fool”, and although a lot of it goes over his head, it’s nice to see. 

I think it was game one of this series, without my knowing (I work nights), he woke up, by himself, at 5AM and watched the scoreboard of the game live on YouTube, but then, in a flash of inspiration, managed to turn on the laptop, get to the league pass page and pull up the game and watch it live, and that’s how my wife found him at 06.30 AM; watching the game live by himself. It was a really proud moment.

Because of my work schedule we haven’t managed to watch a live Mavs playoff game this series, but tomorrow is my day, so we can finally do it. Hope it’s a good one.

I was just wondering if any other dads had similar experiences; watching their small children become Mavs fans as they grow up?
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 08:05 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: So, my son is nearly seven years old, and I’ve been bombarding him with Mavs and basketball since birth, but this is the first season he’s been able to really follow it.

We got him an NBA book at the start of last season, with all the rosters and players stats, etc, and he’s been pouring over it recently, asking lots of questions about all the players.

We live in Japan, so his first language is Japanese, but his English is just about native level, and over the last few months he’s been obsessively watching the NBA top plays every day, and he’s even started watching “Shaqtin’ a fool”, and although a lot of it goes over his head, it’s nice to see. 

I think it was game one of this series, without my knowing (I work nights), he woke up, by himself, at 5AM and watched the scoreboard of the game live on YouTube, but then, in a flash of inspiration, managed to turn on the laptop, get to the league pass page and pull up the game and watch it live, and that’s how my wife found him at 06.30 AM; watching the game live by himself. It was a really proud moment.

Because of my work schedule we haven’t managed to watch a live Mavs playoff game this series, but tomorrow is my day, so we can finally do it. Hope it’s a good one.

I was just wondering if any other dads had similar experiences; watching their small children become Mavs fans as they grow up?
My 9 yo (only child) hasn't been interested in basketball until about a month ago he spent the night with his cousins and they played NBA Live all night. He came home and said he wanted to learn how to play. I told him, OK, this summer we're gonna go to his uncle's house and his uncle and I will teach him how to play on his sport court. 

My wife is on a church girls camp this week and right before game 5 he came in and asked if he could watch the game with me. I told him I was fine with it even though it would go past his bed time. I spent much of the game answering questions about rules and players and teams. Great moment!
Like Reply
My son grew up playing basketball and watching Mavs games. He's a bigger fan than I am, he's always coming up with crazy one-sided trades for the Mavs and texting me 10-29 times every game (the most common text is LUKA!)
Like Reply
Nice topic.  My son and I where talking earlier this this year about Mavs memories.  When he asked what ever happened to that Popeye fellow.
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 09:41 AM)MFFL Wrote: My son grew up playing basketball and watching Mavs games. He's a bigger fan than I am, he's always coming up with crazy one-sided trades for the Mavs and texting me 10-29 times every game (the most common text is LUKA!)

I like your son!
Like Reply
My boys are 4.5 and almost 3, so they’re still a bit young to really care, but this Christmas I got them both jerseys. Now for some of the games that start a little earlier, I’ll get them to put them on and they will at least show interest in which color jerseys the Mavericks are wearing and know that we want them to win. Hoping that they’ll naturally grow into it as they get older and can stay up later to watch more games with me.
Like Reply
The little fella is setting his alarm for 5am this morning so he can watch the game before he goes to school.

Got to admire the commitment to the cause. Hope he can leave the house with a smile on his face.
Like Reply
(06-06-2021, 08:50 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: The little fella is setting his alarm for 5am this morning so he can watch the game before he goes to school.

Got to admire the commitment to the cause. Hope he can leave the house with a smile on his face.

レッツ-ゴー-マヴス

Let's Go Mavs
Like Reply
Heartwarming story Gasol bro! Early happy father’s day to you. Sound like a great dad!
Like Reply
I love reading these stories. I’m about to have my 1st daughter in August. I’m thrilled! I hope to turn her into a basketball fan, Mavs fan just like my dad did to me when I was a kid. I can’t wait for those special bonding moments watching Mavs games. Happy early Father’s Day to everyone here.
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 08:05 AM)Paul Gasol Wrote: So, my son is nearly seven years old, and I’ve been bombarding him with Mavs and basketball since birth, but this is the first season he’s been able to really follow it.

Thank you for sharing. Good shit.
Like Reply
Just found this thread...
My oldest played basketball through high school and is currently working at a youth camp after his 2nd year in college. He doesn't get much time with his phone during the day, but he called me every day to talk him through each game of the series....

He didn't call today.
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 08:53 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Just found this thread...
My oldest played basketball through high school and is currently working at a youth camp after his 2nd year in college. He doesn't get much time with his phone during the day, but he called me every day to talk him through each game of the series....

He didn't call today.
A sad day indeed Sad
Like Reply