Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 105, Clippers 100
(06-03-2021, 07:06 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: some players have been ice cold including THJ so far in this series but he did his job last night which was needed

More like the last two games. Overall the Mavs are still on an incredible hot streak. Especially from 3.

THJ 48.6%
Kleber 47.1%
Brunson 45.5%
Doncic 42.9%
DFS 39.1%
Richardson 37.5%
KP 36.8%
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 06:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Officiating of inside vs perimeter players has reached rock bottom. Even foul drawing machines like Embiid, Zion or AD aren´t getting them in the post. Face up/drive or pump fake/jumpshot. Classic back to the basket bigs cannot get a call. Jokic is getting hammered every single game and can be happy if he finishes the game with 5+ FTs.
And it´s not only a problem for bigs. Smaller guards (Young, Morant) are drawing touch fouls.  Bigger wings like Luka or LBJ are getting punished because they can finish through contact.
Yeah, the most frustrating aspect as an 'old school' guy watching the new school NBA is the way certain fouls are called and others are not called.  
On top of everything you noted its also way too selective where certain players can get away with things that other players cannot.  Kawhi, who is an amazing player, also has the luxury many times of simply driving straight into a defender, knocking him out of position then taking the space to drain his shot. 
Some other player tries anything close to that and the charge is called every time.  Confused     

(06-03-2021, 06:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Two items I have been pondering --

1. One of the main problems in this game and series has been that the non-Luka units are getting absolutely destroyed. One doesn't expect them to build a lead, but they should be able to at least come close to holding their own, and instead they are hemorrhaging points. The adjustment in this game was to slash those minutes to the bone, with Luka getting only 6 minutes of rest, and THJ only three (!). I'm not sure how long they can keep that up, with only a day of rest between games. Any adjustments, or are they just stuck with the situation?

2.  Luka and Timmy were the only Mavs in double figures. Kenny Smith made the observation that if the Mavs had had five guys in double figures, they might well have lost. The thought being that they made the right decision to give most of the shots to their best scorers. (Tim and Luka combined for 56 of Dallas' 89 shot attempts.) Is he right about this?

High Usage Star Player Dependency Syndrome.  Cry 

Seriously it has to do with the fact that a team is built around a guy that dominates the offense so they often don't get to really develop much of a way to play without that guy.  
Tobias Harris talked about how they lost game 4 in Washington because they had to suddenly adjust to playing without Embiid.  It happened during the game so they had to adjust on the fly and couldn't quite get it done.  By game 5 they had a plan and knew how they wanted to play.  Ended up with a win and not a close one. 

What is the pecking order when Luka is out?  Who is the 2nd star exactly and the 3rd option?  
I think the Mavs on paper have guys that can play well without Luka, but they don't have that identity down at all or at least not well enough to adjust to it on the fly.
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 07:17 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: More like the last two games. Overall the Mavs are still on an incredible hot streak. Especially from 3.

THJ 48.6%
Kleber 47.1%
Brunson 45.5%
Doncic 42.9%
DFS 39.1%
Richardson 37.5%
KP 36.8%

True is should have said recently...my mistake...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 07:33 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: High Usage Star Player Dependency Syndrome.  Cry 

Seriously it has to do with the fact that a team is built around a guy that dominates the offense so they often don't get to really develop much of a way to play without that guy.  
Tobias Harris talked about how they lost game 4 in Washington because they had to suddenly adjust to playing without Embiid.  It happened during the game so they had to adjust on the fly and couldn't quite get it done.  By game 5 they had a plan and knew how they wanted to play.  Ended up with a win and not a close one. 

What is the pecking order when Luka is out?  Who is the 2nd star exactly and the 3rd option?  
I think the Mavs on paper have guys that can play well without Luka, but they don't have that identity down at all or at least not well enough to adjust to it on the fly.
Thanks for your thoughts. I would add some nuance to that. I think the Mavs did have a well-crafted plan for playing without Luka during the season, as they had to run those units out every game. Rick occasionally commented on their running a different offense with Luka off the court than with him. 

I think the plan involved having Brunson, KP, and Hardaway keep those units afloat. For whatever reason, in this series, Brunson has not been able to be effective without Luka (size reasons?), and KP has disappeared. So, when they are out there, they indeed look like they just don't know what to do. 

I think it would be worth trying to shore those units up a bit, in order to gain a little more breathing room for Luka and Tim. In the fourth quarter of this match, Luka was totally gassed, and his performance showed it.

If there indeed is a way to shore them up. Maybe there just isn't. I can't say I have any bright ideas.
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 07:46 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks for your thoughts. I would add some nuance to that. I think the Mavs did have a well-crafted plan for playing without Luka during the season, as they had to run those units out every game. Rick occasionally commented on their running a different offense with Luka off the court than with him. 

I think the plan involved having Brunson, KP, and Hardaway keep those units afloat. For whatever reason, in this series, Brunson has not been able to be effective without Luka (size reasons?), and KP has disappeared. So, when they are out there, they indeed look like they just don't know what to do. 

I think it would be worth trying to shore those units up a bit, in order to gain a little more breathing room for Luka and Tim. In the fourth quarter of this match, Luka was totally gassed, and his performance showed it.

If there indeed is a way to shore them up. Maybe there just isn't. I can't say I have any bright ideas.

Yes, those 3 guys are the ones I would expect to lead non-Luka rotations and seems like they did some of that at least couple times very well this season? 

This is also why I said they either don't have the identity or don't have it down.  Without KP that identity is not there or doesn't work and for whatever reason star level let alone Unicorn level KP hasn't been around.  KP has been pretty much just a guy lately. No real explosions that might complement a couple of quality guards while Luka is out.    Without KP that's just Brunson and THJ creating the lead offense versus an elite playoff team.  

It doesn't work against the playoff quality opponent as you simply don't have a KP level replacement player. 
Ok, well I could say something about Boban here, but I won't  Wink
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 06:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Two items I have been pondering --

1. One of the main problems in this game and series has been that the non-Luka units are getting absolutely destroyed. One doesn't expect them to build a lead, but they should be able to at least come close to holding their own, and instead they are hemorrhaging points. The adjustment in this game was to slash those minutes to the bone, with Luka getting only 6 minutes of rest, and THJ only three (!). I'm not sure how long they can keep that up, with only a day of rest between games. Any adjustments, or are they just stuck with the situation?

2.  Luka and Timmy were the only Mavs in double figures. Kenny Smith made the observation that if the Mavs had had five guys in double figures, they might well have lost. The thought being that they made the right decision to give most of the shots to their best scorers. (Tim and Luka combined for 56 of Dallas' 89 shot attempts.) Is he right about this?

Great questions! 

There have been times past where we were able to build successful non Luka lineups with KP, but it doesn't seem like this season's KP is that guy. Ideally Brunson should be able to run a successful non Luka lineup, but it looks like not vs the Clips and in his first playoff run.

One thing our second unit failures in this series say to me is that the Clipper's D really is very good. Pundits watch Luka carve them up and say "I thought KL, PG and crew were supposed to be a great defense." The answer to me is that they are. And that Luka can still do what he wants.
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 09:46 PM)fifteenth Wrote: One thing our second unit failures in this series say to me is that the Clipper's D really is very good. Pundits watch Luka carve them up and say "I thought KL, PG and crew were supposed to be a great defense." The answer to me is that they are. And that Luka can still do what he wants.

Bingo. 

Luka has been transcendent good against VERY GOOD defense.
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 09:52 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka has been transcendent good against VERY GOOD defense.

Totally. And even HE has struggled a bit in the 4th quarters, when they really start playing as hard as they can. I don't know if LAC is capable of defending that hard for 48 minutes or not, but I'll be worried that they are until this series is over.
Like Reply
THJ is starting and not coming off the bench and you guys are questioning what happened? Even when Luka goes to the bench, KP is not the focal point of the offense and there is a question why we’re hemorrhaging points? I think it’s clear as day.
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 09:57 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: THJ is starting and not coming off the bench and you guys are questioning what happened? Even when Luka goes to the bench, KP is not the focal point of the offense and there is a question why we’re hemorrhaging points? I think it’s clear as day.

Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you're saying. 

1. THJ would be performing better in the Luka-less units if he were not also starting. 

2.  KP would be performing better in the Luka-less units if he were the focal point of the offense in them. 

3. Both 1 and 2 apply. 

4. No, I meant something else.
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 10:13 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Sorry, I don't understand exactly what you're saying. 

1. THJ would be performing better in the Luka-less units if he were not also starting. 

2.  KP would be performing better in the Luka-less units if he were the focal point of the offense in them. 

3. Both 1 and 2 apply. 

4. No, I meant something else.
I think our bench sucks and we’re losing huge when Luka goes out cause we don’t have a more fresh THJ in the game when Luka goes out. When KP isn’t the focal point on the offense as Luka goes out, there is no question in my mind why we’re losing out. Especially when JB isn’t producing as well. Less THJ, less KP and less JB, where is the scoring coming from?
Like Reply
I think IGT is just trying to say...

Duh! Obviously!
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 10:37 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I think IGT is just trying to say...

Duh! Obviously!
I’m sorry, I did say that, but don’t mean it. Sometimes I type without thinking.
Like Reply
(06-03-2021, 06:52 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: 1. One of the main problems in this game and series has been that the non-Luka units are getting absolutely destroyed. One doesn't expect them to build a lead, but they should be able to at least come close to holding their own, and instead they are hemorrhaging points. The adjustment in this game was to slash those minutes to the bone, with Luka getting only 6 minutes of rest, and THJ only three (!). I'm not sure how long they can keep that up, with only a day of rest between games. Any adjustments, or are they just stuck with the situation?
I hope they only have to keep it up for one more game in this series. But usually minutes go up as the rotation shortens during the playoffs.

The bench is getting destroyed, but I think it goes back to the earlier observation that LAC's strength is a team of big, mobile wings. When Luka's out, then that plays right into the LAC strength because none of the DAL bench players (thinking JB, JRich in particular) are going to have the same success as Luka because of the size differences. Might be interesting to give Green some burn to see what happens. Tell him to not worry about scoring, just make life miserable for whoever he's guarding. Not holding my breath for a rookie appearance unless there's a 20 point difference with 2 minutes to go.
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 10:01 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I hope they only have to keep it up for one more game in this series. But usually minutes go up as the rotation shortens during the playoffs.

The bench is getting destroyed, but I think it goes back to the earlier observation that LAC's strength is a team of big, mobile wings. When Luka's out, then that plays right into the LAC strength because none of the DAL bench players (thinking JB, JRich in particular) are going to have the same success as Luka because of the size differences. Might be interesting to give Green some burn to see what happens. Tell him to not worry about scoring, just make life miserable for whoever he's guarding. Not holding my breath for a rookie appearance unless there's a 20 point difference with 2 minutes to go.
Thanks for your observations. 

I don't think we can fairly expect any of the players to have the same success as Luka, and that includes all the Mavs, all the Clippers, and most of the players in the league, large or small, tall or short.  Big Grin 

I think maybe what you are saying is that Brunson and Richardson are too small to compete with the Clippers, and it is inevitable that they will get overwhelmed. I tend to agree with that, especially in the case of Brunson. By this point, I don't think JB is even really trying to run the offense, mostly just looking for a driving lane or taking a jump shot. Since the Mavs don't have another playmaker or distributor, the game tends to dissolve into a pick-up game style affair against a team with a plan. 

I don't see much of a solution, was hoping someone did. Maybe Carlisle will push the Josh Green button if he has to. I have a tendency to shudder at the thought of asking a rookie who hasn't played much all season to come in and be a savior, but tbh I somewhat shuddered at Boban starting, so what do I know, lol?
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 10:19 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Thanks for your observations. 

I don't think we can fairly expect any of the players to have the same success as Luka, and that includes all the Mavs, all the Clippers, and most of the players in the league, large or small, tall or short.  Big Grin 

I think maybe what you are saying is that Brunson and Richardson are too small to compete with the Clippers, and it is inevitable that they will get overwhelmed. I tend to agree with that, especially in the case of Brunson. By this point, I don't think JB is even really trying to run the offense, mostly just looking for a driving lane or taking a jump shot. Since the Mavs don't have another playmaker or distributor, the game tends to dissolve into a pick-up game style affair against a team with a plan. 

I don't see much of a solution, was hoping someone did. Maybe Carlisle will push the Josh Green button if he has to. I have a tendency to shudder at the thought of asking a rookie who hasn't played much all season to come in and be a savior, but tbh I somewhat shuddered at Boban starting, so what do I know, lol?

All in with you on Luka ML, however I will point out that Luka actually wasn't great in the 4th quarter.  He got into a a little too much hero ball which is understandable since he had been an absolute hero for 3 quarters so why not?  He did say he made mistakes in his post game interview and I don't think it was false humility.  Bad shooting in the 4th quarter from Wonderboy almost let the Clips come back and steal that game if not for a  couple of missed bunnies at the end (I credit the fatigue factor a lot here). 

As spectacular as Luka's overall game was, that was a team win. At winning time, in the end Dallas does not win that game without the rest of those Mavs making some key plays including DFS and the much maligned Kristaps Porzingis on a clutch 3 pointer. 

On my man Boban.  Even Rick Carlisle saw the light enough to play the Boban card which I admit I found shocking too but I definitely didn't shudder.   Shy 
Why would Rick Carlisle or anyone else continue to do the same thing and expect a different result?  The Mavs were spanked in Dallas as badly or worse than they had spanked the Clippers in LA.  It was desperation they forced Coach C. to make the right move, finally. 

Its harder for people out here in couch coach land like me to acknowledge the key role a guy like Boban can play but to his credit Carlisle and his coaching staff woke up and understood that if you can't match up all the time with your opponent then try and force them to match up to you.  The question then becomes where do you have an advantage that your opponent might struggle to match? 
KP + Boban was brilliant. 

Let me say again one of the reasons why this move makes sense. 
I"ve said before Boban has gravity in the paint, offensive gravity more than any player on the Mavs except for Luka.  KP has gravity outside the paint.  He may not shoot the best % from 3 but at his length you have to stay very close attached to have a chance to block his shot or else you are conceding what amounts to almost a wide open 3 point look.  He's good enough to be a threat out there.  

Gravity inside + Gravity outside = driving lanes and space for the midrange, agreed?  Luka can take. 

Is it bullet proof?  Of course not, but what it did do is it forced Ty Lue and his staff to make adjustments because they could not play those 2 guys off the floor with their small ball strategy and in fact they were falling behind. They had to do something different because there was rebounding, defensive length and both an inside and outside offensive threat on the floor with those 2 BIGS that wasn't out there before. 

Now after Lue adjusts, Carlise adjusts again and is able bring his fresh troops.  Move / counter move wash and repeat.  Great stuff and this time our Mavs came out on top.
Like Reply
Just want to give some respect to Boban. We all think he's a great guy and happy to have him around. But he was ready to operate when called upon, despite all the DP/CDs this season. Did not shy away from the opportunity and definitely changed the feel of the game.

If they go that way again, I hope he has a little more attitude. Get some of Luka's "You're too small" going and get everyone, including the crowd, pumped.
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 10:01 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I hope they only have to keep it up for one more game in this series. But usually minutes go up as the rotation shortens during the playoffs.

I wasn't going to do it but what I would do here is simple.  Go back and get some KP+Boban minutes into the mix BUT let them become offensive focal points. 
Not a shot here and there but run your offense off these guys with Jalen Brunson in place of Luka.  

The problem with JB is size but offensively what I've noticed is that Brunson knows how to utilize Boban as well as KP and he knows how to take the driving lanes and to score in the midrange space when its out there.   He and THJ or any other outside threat needs a major offensive threat to play off of when Luka is not on the floor. 
Boban rarely shoots less than 50% and he makes free throws so if fed consistently the main thing is to coach him to avoid turnovers and either pass it out for a good look or get his shot up. 
KP, is a shooting threat all the way out as well as a threat in close even though he's not been shooting well  Undecided overall.  He's still your guy as a scoring threat. 
You even have the KP feed into Boban available to you.   We're talking about offense here without Luka.  You have options IF you actually use them in your sets and play calling.

(06-04-2021, 11:39 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Just want to give some respect to Boban. We all think he's a great guy and happy to have him around. But he was ready to operate when called upon, despite all the DP/CDs this season. Did not shy away from the opportunity and definitely changed the feel of the game.

If they go that way again, I hope he has a little more attitude. Get some of Luka's "You're too small" going and get everyone, including the crowd, pumped.

Yeah, Boban is often just too nice a guy. Sometimes you need a guy that will knock a Kawhi, a Paul George or a Marcus Morris on his behind with a strong contest. He hasn't been that guy enough on defense. That's where you like a Kleber or WCS or a Powell.
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 11:42 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: You even have the KP feed into Boban available to you.
And the Boban to KP pass out. Was thinking about that when I was reading your post. Luka (edit: any player can be in place of Luka here honestly) to Boban to KP. The angle of that pass from Boban couldn't be touched by the much shorter players guarding KP.
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 11:21 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: I will point out that Luka actually wasn't great in the 4th quarter.  

As spectacular as Luka's overall game was, that was a team win. At winning time, in the end Dallas does not win that game without the rest of those Mavs making some key plays including DFS and the much maligned Kristaps Porzingis on a clutch 3 pointer.

Even Rick Carlisle saw the light enough to play the Boban card which I admit I found shocking too but I definitely didn't shudder.   Shy 

Why would Rick Carlisle or anyone else continue to do the same thing and expect a different result?  It was desperation they forced Coach C. to make the right move, finally.  
I actually thought Luka was pretty terrible in the fourth quarter, by his amazing standards. Believe that was the adjective he himself used to describe his play in that segment. I attribute that to his running on fumes at that point. 

That is one thing that got me concerned about this drastic drop-off with these bench units. I don't love the solution of playing Tim and Luka almost the whole 48. We see what abysmal performance it leads to in the fourth quarter when those guys are exhausted. 

Did not mean to slight Boban when I used the term "shudder," lol. It was not so much that I thought it wasn't a good idea in the abstract, as that they had rarely used that strategy in-season, and it struck me as a desperation move, as you pointed out. I guess there's a reason Carlisle gets paid the big bucks, and I applaud his moxie. 

Also no intention to slight the rest of the team, although I think few of them played their best. Doe-Doe was awesome defensively, and KP did hit that timely three. However, I'm sorry, but the reserve units were horrible, as usual. Maybe there's just nothing to be done, but I wish there were. I know, if wishes were horses,. . . .

The good side of some of the team not playing well is that there is plenty of room for improvement tonight!
Like Reply