Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 105, Clippers 100
(06-04-2021, 11:42 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:  Go back and get some KP+Boban minutes into the mix BUT let them become offensive focal points. 
Not a shot here and there but run your offense off these guys with Jalen Brunson in place of Luka.  

The problem with JB is size but offensively what I've noticed is that Brunson knows how to utilize Boban as well as KP and he knows how to take the driving lanes and to score in the midrange space when its out there.   He and THJ or any other outside threat needs a major offensive threat to play off of when Luka is not on the floor. 

Boban rarely shoots less than 50% and he makes free throws so if fed consistently the main thing is to coach him to avoid turnovers and either pass it out for a good look or get his shot up. 
KP, is a shooting threat all the way out as well as a threat in close even though he's not been shooting well  Undecided overall.  He's still your guy as a scoring threat. 
You even have the KP feed into Boban available to you.   We're talking about offense here without Luka.  You have options IF you actually use them in your sets and play calling.

Ah, you have suggested a solution! Brunson-Bobi-KP lineups. 

I really detest those lineups when neither Luka nor KP is on the floor. Not really sure why they're even running those in the playoffs, tbh. 

I think the Clippers' big bodies and long arms are affecting Brunson to the point where he is hardly even passing any more. I think he knows how to work with Bobi, just not sure if he can execute that in this series. And, except for Luka, this team doesn't seem to be very great at entry passes. 

I noticed several times when they were making an effort to go through Boban where either the pass into him was substantially off, or where he couldn't hold on to the ball. He has a tendency to get stripped if multiple defenders come at him, so it would be great if the passes were accurate enough that he isn't forced to bring the ball down before shooting or passing, and so that he could shoot or pass quickly before he gets swarmed. 

I wouldn't be averse to giving it a try at this point, although I will be a little bit surprised if Rick actually goes to that. But I've already been surprised, so there's that.  

Kudos for offering a positive suggestion!
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 11:39 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Just want to give some respect to Boban. We all think he's a great guy and happy to have him around. But he was ready to operate when called upon, despite all the DP/CDs this season. Did not shy away from the opportunity and definitely changed the feel of the game.

If they go that way again, I hope he has a little more attitude. Get some of Luka's "You're too small" going and get everyone, including the crowd, pumped.

(06-04-2021, 12:36 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Ah, you have suggested a solution! Brunson-Bobi-KP lineups. 

I really detest those lineups when neither Luka nor KP is on the floor. Not really sure why they're even running those in the playoffs, tbh. 

I think the Clippers' big bodies and long arms are affecting Brunson to the point where he is hardly even passing any more. I think he knows how to work with Bobi, just not sure if he can execute that in this series. And, except for Luka, this team doesn't seem to be very great at entry passes. 

I noticed several times when they were making an effort to go through Boban where either the pass into him was substantially off, or where he couldn't hold on to the ball. He has a tendency to get stripped if multiple defenders come at him, so it would be great if the passes were accurate enough that he isn't forced to bring the ball down before shooting or passing, and so that he could shoot or pass quickly before he gets swarmed. 

I wouldn't be averse to giving it a try at this point, although I will be a little bit surprised if Rick actually goes to that. But I've already been surprised, so there's that.  

Kudos for offering a positive suggestion!

Great insights ML, really.  I forget sometimes that not everyone can make great entry passes.  Cry 
You're right also that those big wings from LA aren't sitting around watching JB make good passes. 

Bobi is definitely more turnover prone than I'd like against the hacking reaching defenders hence nothing here is bullet proof. 
Coach him up, keep the ball high, don't hesitate long, put it up strong or pass it out to one of your many shooters. 

I do think all 3 of JB, KP, Bobi are proven capable scoring threats able to get off a shot with a good chance of converting consistently. 
On the wings you have a choice of guys that can shoot depending on just who you need to rest beside Luka, but I'm with you, KP should not be one of them. 
This guy is either going to be your 2nd star or you're going to need to make a move before you can contend.  

Ride or Die. Now with your sharp insights into the game I'm thinking its time to send a messenger from the Press Box down to the bench with some of this winning strategy. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 01:01 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Bobi is definitely more turnover prone than I'd like against the hacking reaching defenders hence nothing here is bullet proof. 
I hate talking about refs, but one thing about Bobi is the disgraceful way the zebras just turn their heads when he is grabbed, pulled on, and generally mauled. It's like if a guy is huge, that constitutes a license for other players to batter him at will.

(06-04-2021, 01:01 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: I'm thinking its time to send a messenger from the Press Box down to the bench with some of this winning strategy
lol
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 01:50 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I hate talking about refs, but one thing about Bobi is the disgraceful way the zebras just turn their heads when he is grabbed, pulled on, and generally mauled. It's like if a guy is huge, that constitutes a license for other players to batter him at will.

[Image: Dzp5DeAU8AEIVVj.jpg]
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 01:59 PM)fifteenth Wrote: [Image: Dzp5DeAU8AEIVVj.jpg]

hahahaha
Like Reply
Zebras gonna zebra. That’s the NBA. If we get just a wee bit o home cooking from em tonight, Brunson will be good again. If not, well, it’s all up to Luka then.
Like Reply
Calls like this is really something NBA has to change. First of all Mann was clearly hanging on Bobi hand trying to prevent the pass, which is not a legal NBA move. But I guess smaller players are allowed everthing against big and strong ones. Secondly it is not Bobi fault that Mann is two feet shorter than him. All he did was turn around, there was no intentional elbow, I don't even think he pushed him away. Not his fault he is so big that his arm is on the level of Mann head. He didn't lift arm to hit him in the head or push him away. Just turned around. In my opinion, there is no way that was a foul. Basketball is a contact game and not every contact is a foul. If it would be, Mann would have to get foul for that hanging on the arm.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=588&GameID=0042000175&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=Marjanovic%20OFF.Foul%20(P3)%20(J.Goble)&sct=plot
Like Reply
(06-04-2021, 02:39 PM)omahen Wrote: Calls like this is really something NBA has to change. First of all Mann was clearly hanging on Bobi hand trying to prevent the pass, which is not a legal NBA move. But I guess smaller players are allowed everthing against big and strong ones.

Secondly it is not Bobi fault that Mann is two feet shorter than him. All he did was turn around, there was no intentional elbow, I don't even think he pushed him away. Not his fault he is so big that his arm is on the level of Mann head. He didn't lift arm to hit him in the head or push him away. Just turned around. In my opinion, there is no way that was a foul. Basketball is a contact game and not every contact is a foul. If it would be, Mann would have to get foul for that hanging on the arm.

https://www.nba.com/stats/events/?GameEventID=588&GameID=0042000175&Season=2020-21&flag=1&title=Marjanovic%20OFF.Foul%20(P3)%20(J.Goble)&sct=plot

That was a blatantly bad call. It's also a part of the modern gamesmanship that is a big part of the winning and losing results in todays NBA. 
Putting aside what is a fair or even correct call, the game within the game includes the acting and playing to the refs.  

Boban has to be basketball smart there, recognize that the tiny player is up in his space at elbows level then take his time with the play. 
If he knows the guy has positioned his head at his elbows Bobi has raise up take his time and turn to the easy soft shot or even better pivot into the monster dunk. 

I've seen Porzingis face the same gamesmanship when he has a "little guy" on him close to the basket. 
Its not at all fair or correct but it is what it is. 

Coach him up RC or who exactly is the Big man coach on this staff?
Like Reply
Based on Game 5 and the previous games, it is my distinct impression that the Clippers, for all their loaded roster, are a far cry from a well-oiled machine. If the Mavs can somehow prevent their two stars from going off, as the Mavs did in Game 5, can the other Clips gel enough to sustain the battle if the Mavs play well tonight? (I am not taking it as a given that the Mavs will bring their "A" game, just supposing.)
Like Reply