Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mavs 113, Clippers 103
I actually thought that Kawhi guarding KP was a smart move. Completly takes away the Luka-KP pick and roll/pop. Gives the Clippers a quick help defender that can roam around the court and still recover in time. RC made the right adjustment in the 4th quarter and parked KP in the corner. That´s the best way to limit Kawhi´s defensive impact. He cannot help off KP and is not involved on defense. Obviously not great for KP but if him being a decoy wins the Mavs the series this is the way to go.
The chess game will continue. I don´t think having Kawhi on Luka helps them. Mavs will continue to set screens and find the weak link. He cannot get over every single screen. Not to mention that Luka is nearly unstoppable in a more traditional pick and roll. If Luka gets a step and the inside position with the defender on his back it is game over for the opposing defense. Layup/floater if the big stays with the roll man. Pass to the roll man if the big steps up. Pass to the corner if the defense collapses and a third/fourth guy tries to help.

I wonder if the Clippers will go small again. They finished the last game with both Ibaka and Zubac on the bench. Would be huge if the Mavs could force them to do it again. KP was completly outmatched in the first half but in the last few minutes of the game he actually made some plays against an undersized Clippers front court (Batum/Morris).
Like Reply
Zubac was featured at media availability this afternoon. He said you have to pick your poison with Luka, and they kinda have to live with Luka's step-back threes "with a late contest." 

Hahahahahaha. 

I rather think these guys are just pulling our legs, but if not, the Mavs are definitely in their heads.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 06:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I actually thought that Kawhi guarding KP was a smart move. Completly takes away the Luka-KP pick and roll/pop. Gives the Clippers a quick help defender that can roam around the court and still recover in time. RC made the right adjustment in the 4th quarter and parked KP in the corner. That´s the best way to limit Kawhi´s defensive impact. He cannot help off KP and is not involved on defense. Obviously not great for KP but if him being a decoy wins the Mavs the series this is the way to go.
The chess game will continue. I don´t think having Kawhi on Luka helps them. Mavs will continue to set screens and find the weak link. He cannot get over every single screen. Not to mention that Luka is nearly unstoppable in a more traditional pick and roll. If Luka gets a step and the inside position with the defender on his back it is game over for the opposing defense. Layup/floater if the big stays with the roll man. Pass to the roll man if the big steps up. Pass to the corner if the defense collapses and a third/fourth guy tries to help.

I wonder if the Clippers will go small again. They finished the last game with both Ibaka and Zubac on the bench. Would be huge if the Mavs could force them to do it again. KP was completly outmatched in the first half but in the last few minutes of the game he actually made some plays against an undersized Clippers front court (Batum/Morris).

Excellent points. 

I think the Clippers usually close with a small lineup. Depending on how the game is going, I could see them thinking they need to try something different.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:00 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Zubac was featured at media availability this afternoon. He said you have to pick your poison with Luka, and they kinda have to live with Luka's step-back threes "with a late contest." 

Well a lot does ride on his outside shooting. He's great no matter what but if he is hitting 3s then he's almost unstoppable. I am sure they can still try some different stuff altho they tried a lot of looks game 1 and none of them really worked.

I honestly think if they want to bother Luka they should pick him up full court all game just to irritate him. He either has to expend energy getting the ball up the court of pass it up ahead and then get it back. Doing the latter wastes a little bit of time. I don't think this strategy works on a lot of quicker guards but it could work on Luka.

I saw some stat the Mavs didn't convert well when Luka got blitzed on the PnR so I expect to see more of that. I will say the irony of the Clippers is that tho they look like a Luka-stopping team on paper, in reality they don't really have a guy that can guard Luka.

Luka has guys that bother him. Simmons, Brooks, Bridges. This guys are really good at disrupting what he wants to do. PG just doesn't bother Luka at all. Maybe more Kawhi on Luka will make a difference I don't know. Seems like Luka will figure it out though.
Like Reply
I like the physicality Mavs showed, both physical and mental. Clearly a lesson from last year when the team was "bullied" by Clippers, and that made the team much more passive than in regular season. Now, Luka literally bullying Beverley out of the court, and yelling he is "too small". I love it. I think Mavs players mentally held their composure under pressure, and were not at a single point of game out of balance. Completely opposite than last season playoffs. Reminds me a bit of how Bulls with MJ were bullied by Pistons for some years, and then the roles reversed. What I most love about Lukas game is his ability to adapt. He is continuously a different, improved, adapted player, harbouring more weapons. Still some weakness in his game, but his ability to adapt I think so far reminds that of the all time greats.

EDIT: Its obviously one game, and I hope the conclusion also stays when the series are over. Need to keep that up. It is this mental aspect that will perhaps be the most crucial in deciding who wins this series.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:07 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Excellent points. 

I think the Clippers usually close with a small lineup. Depending on how the game is going, I could see them thinking they need to try something different.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Clips could go small with Morris, Batum being pretty good defensively. IF they can't play Zubac, noted Mavs killer then that is a win for Mavs as they won't be giving up easy offense to him and more notably rebounds. Clippers could probably get more open shots but then they will be giving up the glass to KP who will have an easier time + tough rebounders in DFS and Luka. Zubac is really good at crowding out KP so if Clips have to play Zubac less then for sure KP will have an advantage.

I think if I am the Clips that's the way I go so that I can switch everything on defense and have space on offense. Clips will give up rebounds but Clips are a great outside shooting team. Zubac can still get minutes but maybe its more when Luka is sitting. Could definitely see that strategy employed.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:12 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Well a lot does ride on his outside shooting. He's great no matter what but if he is hitting 3s then he's almost unstoppable. I am sure they can still try some different stuff altho they tried a lot of looks game 1 and none of them really worked.

I honestly think if they want to bother Luka they should pick him up full court all game just to irritate him. He either has to expend energy getting the ball up the court of pass it up ahead and then get it back. Doing the latter wastes a little bit of time. I don't think this strategy works on a lot of quicker guards but it could work on Luka.

I saw some stat the Mavs didn't convert well when Luka got blitzed on the PnR so I expect to see more of that. I will say the irony of the Clippers is that tho they look like a Luka-stopping team on paper, in reality they don't really have a guy that can guard Luka.

Luka has guys that bother him. Simmons, Brooks, Bridges. This guys are really good at disrupting what he wants to do. PG just doesn't bother Luka at all. Maybe more Kawhi on Luka will make a difference I don't know. Seems like Luka will figure it out though.

Yeah, I was mostly laughing at Zubac pretending that he was actually doing much of anything to contest Luka's threes, even late. As well as the idea that an opposing team can live with Luka shooting step-back threes, lol. 

Thanks for pointing out the irony of the Clips seeming to be a Luka-stopping steam on paper and having no one who can guard him. Really makes you stop and reflect on how much Luka has improved this season and just how incredibly good he is. There is no stopping the greats, no matter what the defensive scheme is. 

Having said that, I agree that the Clippers will continue to try, and I also agree that Luka is likely to face double-teams for more of the game. Double-teaming Luka is a risky strategy, as KP and/or the role players are perfectly capable of making you pay. But I think they would rather take that chance than live with Luka beating them. 

I also think the first game might have involved the Clippers not taking the Mavs all that seriously, and they will be wiser in Game Two. Wouldn't be surprised if they come out much more focused tomorrow.
Like Reply
So you guys are totally going to ignore Ibaka?  He still can be a factor with his shot blocking and 3pt shooting as well as his playoff experience.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I was going to say the exact same thing. Clips could go small with Morris, Batum being pretty good defensively. IF they can't play Zubac, noted Mavs killer then that is a win for Mavs as they won't be giving up easy offense to him and more notably rebounds. Clippers could probably get more open shots but then they will be giving up the glass to KP who will have an easier time + tough rebounders in DFS and Luka. Zubac is really good at crowding out KP so if Clips have to play Zubac less then for sure KP will have an advantage.

I think if I am the Clips that's the way I go so that I can switch everything on defense and have space on offense. Clips will give up rebounds but Clips are a great outside shooting team. Zubac can still get minutes but maybe its more when Luka is sitting. Could definitely see that strategy employed.

Agree. Can even imagine a scenario that forces the Mavs to go small. Hot shooting from Batum and Morris forcing RC to bench KP and go with Maxi or Melli at center. That´s the beauty of playoff basketball. Both teams trying to get the upper hand with different schemes, adjustments and counters. Who knows...maybe even Boban will get an opportunity.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:26 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: So you guys are totally going to ignore Ibaka?  He still can be a factor with his shot blocking and 3pt shooting as well as his playoff experience.

Good point. They may well start relying more on Serge.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:26 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: So you guys are totally going to ignore Ibaka?  He still can be a factor with his shot blocking and 3pt shooting as well as his playoff experience.

He'll soon have another kid named Luka to go with his other kid named Dirk...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
The onus is clearly on the Clippers to make adjustments. 

But watching how Carlisle operates, it would be surprising if he didn't come out with a few new tricks, as well. 

Anyone have any predictions on how the Mavs might tweak their strategy?
Like Reply
Watched the game again.  I noticed Luka yelling at RC after Luka picked up his 3rd foul and RC sat him.  This was not as he was walking off but as he was sitting on the bench, "this is the "effing" playoffs man".  Then he added "you're too short" Smile  (I added that last part)

I don't want Luka to be unhappy but I agree with RC there.  Luka hates sitting out and time outs, I am pretty sure that is exactly what his parents used on him growing up.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:49 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Watched the game again.  I noticed Luka yelling at RC after Luka picked up his 3rd foul and RC sat him.  This was not as he was walking off but as he was sitting on the bench, "this is the "effing" playoffs man".  Then he added "you're too short" Smile  (I added that last part)

I don't want Luka to be unhappy but I agree with RC there.  Luka hates sitting out and time outs, I am pretty sure that is exactly what his parents used on him growing up.

Yeah, Luka actually sulked on the bench with his head in his hands after that one, lol. 

There was some emotional reaction pro and con to this incident. 

I viewed it as a strong message from Rick to Luka. Luka had just fouled (Kawhi, I think) mid-court to stop a fast break. That type of foul is evidently something the coaching staff encourages, as it happens quite a bit. But Luka can't be getting cheap fouls like that. I think Rick was reminding Luka that the fouling-to-stop-a-fast-break tactic applies to everyone else, not to him. Dirk had similar do-not-foul rules that applied only to him. 

Hopefully, lesson learned, as I don't think Luka had any more fouls in the game.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:59 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yeah, Luka actually sulked on the bench with his head in his hands after that one, lol. 

There was some emotional reaction pro and con to this incident. 

I viewed it as a strong message from Rick to Luka. Luka had just fouled (Kawhi, I think) mid-court to stop a fast break. That type of foul is evidently something the coaching staff encourages, as it happens quite a bit. But Luka can't be getting cheap fouls like that. I think Rick was reminding Luka that the fouling-to-stop-a-fast-break tactic applies to everyone else, not to him. Dirk had similar do-not-foul rules that applied only to him. 

Hopefully, lesson learned, as I don't think Luka had any more fouls in the game.

He did, but that's when Rick used his challenge and got it overturned.
Like Reply
[Image: e1axfwwa56171.jpg]
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 08:39 PM)mvossman Wrote: He did, but that's when Rick used his challenge and got it overturned.

That is indeed true. (You don't expect me to count fake fouls, do you?)
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 07:37 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Who knows...maybe even Boban will get an opportunity.

Last season ... playoffs ... versus Clippers ...

Boban, 6 games, 82 minutes (eighth-most on team), 41 points (seventh-most), 35 rebounds (third-most).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...s.html#DAL
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 09:18 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: Last season ... playoffs ... versus Clippers ...

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pla...ppers.html

Game 1:  Clippers (.342 3P%) beat Mavs (.349 3P%) by 8 points.

Game 2:  Mavs (.448 3P%) beat Clippers (.294 3P%) by 13 points.

Game 3:  Clippers (.412 3P%) beat Mavs (.395 3P%) by 8 points.

Game 4:  Mavs (.361 3P%) beat Clippers (.368 3P%) by 2 points (in overtime).

Game 5:  Clippers (.629 3P%) beat Mavs (.324 3P%) by 43 points.

Game 6:  Clippers (.379 3P%) beat Mavs (.297 3P%) by 11 points.

Clippers' 3P% was less than .375 in three games, and it was greater than .375 in the other three games.  That was good enough to win four games while losing only two.
Like Reply
(05-24-2021, 06:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The chess game will continue. I don´t think having Kawhi on Luka helps them. Mavs will continue to set screens and find the weak link. He cannot get over every single screen.
Heard some discussion of the Kawhi-countered-with-screens idea on one of the pods. They were speculating that this might be a case of Lue's having confidence in Kawhi's being able to stick with Luka, due to some scouting that the Mavs set such bad screens.
Like Reply