Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
I'm still holding out my verdict on the Curry trade. I may be about the only one left tho haha. 

Bey is still very intriguing  to me as a prospect. I think he still may wind up being a very solid player. He got 71 minutes all in garbage time this year. I liked what I saw in the G League. 

But if Richardson opts out and we have cap space and make a major signing? We still win that trade in the long run. The player via cap space may be better than Curry. Tho you can argue that value wasn't good enough for Curry even so...

We don't make that trade and Donnie is still here probably if you want to look at it that angle too.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:11 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Bey is still very intriguing  to me as a prospect

I'm still excited about Bey, too. And that did play a part in my excitement over the trade on draft night. 

But in hindsight I just think there were likely other ways to get him. Drafting him instead of Terry, for one, but there were probably other ways to get both, even.
Like Reply
One more thing on Donnie...

He wasn't exactly qualified to be the GM when he came here. And we've heard reports of how sloppy the front office has been with planning, etc.

Perhaps an outside hire with a proper organizational structure background and process/experience might resolve the Cuban issues. Like Cuban has never known anything but disfunction in the FO that he's been able to abuse. 

It's like giving a druggie drugs and telling them not to do them lol.

(06-18-2021, 09:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm still excited about Bey, too. And that did play a part in my excitement over the trade on draft night. 

But in hindsight I just think there were likely other ways to get him. Drafting him instead of Terry, for one, but there were probably other ways to get both, even.

Maybe so... Really to make it a good move in hindsight... Terry and Bey both have to be good players, and you have to make a signing in FA. That could still happen but that's a very narrow path.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agreed. I'm ashamed to admit I drank the kool aid on that one, but I did. One of my most embarrassing takes ever, and there have been many.

I bit on that one too. Thought it was a great move. ugh.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 10:52 AM)chaparral Wrote: Duffy's riff is w/Rick and how he handled Duffy clients.

No.

Cuban + Duffy = awful for a very long time
Donnie + Duffy = very good; Donnie was the one who eventually was able to opens doors again with Duffy, and who dealt with him
RC + Duffy = didn't care whose feathers he ruffled, so rocky in some situations, but tolerable in others

The one with the worst relationship with Duffy is (a) the only one still here, and (b) the one who will be speaking (and speaking and speaking and speaking) for the Mavs going forward.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:31 PM)F Gump Wrote: No.

Cuban + Duffy = awful for a very long time
Donnie + Duffy = very good; Donnie was the one who eventually was able to opens doors again with Duffy, and who dealt with him
RC + Duffy = didn't care whose feathers he ruffled, so rocky in some situations, but tolerable in others

The one with the worst relationship with Duffy is (a) the only one still here, and (b) the one who will be speaking (and speaking and speaking and speaking) for the Mavs going forward.

Hopefully a large amount of Benjamins heading his way (and a good, professional GM, and a players' coach who is also good at x's and o's) will change Duffy's likes and dislikes.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:18 PM)Branduil Wrote: Obviously the internal dysfunction is the primary cause but I think the pressure from seeing Atlanta and Phoenix, two franchises who passed on Luka for lesser players, still going deep in the playoffs while the Mavs lost in the 1st round again, definitely played a role in expediting Donnie's firing.

The quality of their supporting casts compared to Luka's is just such an immense and almost immeasurable gap.

I keep seeing this take. I don’t get it. Do you all really think the Hawks could compete with the Mavs in a 7 game series? I think we would have killed them.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 10:11 PM)Jommybone Wrote: I keep seeing this take. I don’t get it. Do you all really think the Hawks could compete with the Mavs in a 7 game series? I think we would have killed them.
Set aside Trae and Luka. Which Mavs players would you put above ANY of their starters?
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:56 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Hopefully a large amount of Benjamins heading his way (and a good, professional GM, and a players' coach who is also good at x's and o's) will change Duffy's likes and dislikes.

I wish. But I doubt. Nothing in Cuban's track record suggests he has the personal skills to negotiate and work with sharks like Duffy without getting pantsed and then sulking and burning bridges, nor does he appear to have the willingness to admit his personal weaknesses and completely hire-delegate to someone who has the crucial skills he lacks.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 10:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: I wish. But I doubt. Nothing in Cuban's track record suggests he has the personal skills to negotiate and work with sharks like Duffy without getting pantsed and then sulking and burning bridges, nor does he appear to have the willingness to admit his personal weaknesses and completely hire-delegate to someone who has the crucial skills he lacks.

Yeah Cuban has no negotiation skills. Watch him on Shark tank. He just outbids everyone when he really wants something lol...And if he wants something he doesn't walk away from deals very often which means the other side has the advantage.

I realize Shark tank is a show but there is some realness to it too.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 10:24 PM)F Gump Wrote: I wish. But I doubt. Nothing in Cuban's track record suggests he has the personal skills to negotiate and work with sharks like Duffy without getting pantsed and then sulking and burning bridges, nor does he appear to have the willingness to admit his personal weaknesses and completely hire-delegate to someone who has the crucial skills he lacks.

Well, then, it would seem there is no possibility whatsoever of us keeping Luka longterm, which then raises the question - why are you still here? To rant, or to gloat?
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 10:22 PM)Branduil Wrote: Set aside Trae and Luka. Which Mavs players would you put above ANY of their starters?

Seriously? I wish we played the Hawks every game. In the two matchups this year:

THJ: 14/25 (8/15 from 3) 38 pts (19 per)
JB: 14/26 (2/6) 33 (16.5)
DFS: 8/16 (5/11) 21 (10.5)
MK: 5/9 (4/7) 14 (7)

Role players: 53.9% (48.7% from 3) 53 pts/game
Like Reply

Mr. Gump, everytime you talk about Cuban any hope that has begun to return just goes away! 

You think Dirk would tell him to hire a pro and get out of the way?
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:18 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Well, then, it would seem there is no possibility whatsoever of us keeping Luka longterm, which then raises the question - why are you still here? To rant, or to gloat?

haha

Yes I've long regarded Cuban as a cousin of Jerry Jones, in his desire to be the Mavs "basketball guy" who makes the decisions, despite lacking the skills and finesse needed to be the league's best at those things. Hiring Bob, and empowering him to make draft decisions, and dictate coaching decisions to RC, and even instruct Luka mid-game, is a great example (but merely the latest in a very long line) of how Cuban meddles with and interferes in the work of his front office, because he thinks he has a "better" idea. Sadly, they rarely are.

I hope he does the right thing at this crossroads. What the Mavs need is an experienced expert who can create and execute an expert game plan for the franchise as they try to build around Luka. Ujiri would be great. But I'm guessing Cuban thinks he's already got that guy (himself) who merely needs a few new helpers to offer some input from time to time. I fear he'll come to decide he just needs some "fresh" ideas from guys who are unpredictable - because they are learning on the job.

So I am very pessimistic right now. He could certainly hire someone like Ujiri and surprise me. However, from what I have seen in the past, I just don't think Cuban is smart enough to let go of his ego (that, ironically, he has because he sees himself as smarter at everything) and fire the guy who has been the cause of one fireable disaster after another.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:46 PM)F Gump Wrote: haha

Yes I've long regarded Cuban as a cousin of Jerry Jones, in his desire to be the Mavs "basketball guy" who makes the decisions, despite lacking the skills and finesse needed...

Cry
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:38 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Mr. Gump, everytime you talk about Cuban any hope that has begun to return just goes away! 

You think Dirk would tell him to hire a pro and get out of the way?

Dirk is not the answer at all. The question isn't what Dirk would say. It's how Cuban would respond to it.

Cuban needs a GM who he sees as smarter than himself on everything GM related. So smart and respected by Cuban that he will step aside, defer, and shut up. The Mavs ceiling has been Cuban. It can only be raised if he will bring in others smarter than him, and defer to them.

So with Dirk etc ....

Ex-players like Finley and Dirk give Cuban feel-good vibes with Mav fans. But isn't he hiring his inferiors, not his superiors, in GM-ing (at least in his own eyes)? What in their ability to shoot or rebound a basketball has prepared them to negotiate for players against other GMs, scout raw players to know which will becomes top NBAers and which won't, work the draft, schmooze with other GMs to find opportunities for deals, find sweet spots and advantages in the cap, know how to juggle current contracts, figure out how to build a top team around Luka within the cap limits?

I'm not saying they can't get those skills after a lot of work. But they are babes in such things, and the Luka clock is ticking. And if Cuban is their smartest guy calling the shots, Cuban has proven way too many times he is NOT the guy the Mavs should be hitching the next few years to.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:22 AM)F Gump Wrote: Dirk is not the answer at all...

I agree with all that. I don't think I asked the question clearly. I don't see Dirk as a GM candidate. I was just wondering if Dirk had the relationship with Mark to say, "Mark, you really need to hire the best GM you can get,  and then get out of the way. "
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:27 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I was just wondering if Dirk had the relationship with Mark to say, "Mark, you really need to hire the best GM you can get,  and then get out of the way. "

I think the point is that whether or not Dirk would say that (or even think it) is kind of irrelevant, since Cuban's history seems to suggest that he won't take it seriously. My addition to this take is that to me, Cuban seems like the type to meet such a suggestion with even more resolve to do it his way than he had beforehand. I have a bad feeling all this "Woj said" stuff is sealing our coffin right now.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think the point is that whether or not Dirk would say that (or even think it) is kind of irrelevant, since Cuban's history seems to suggest that he won't take it seriously. My addition to this take is that to me, Cuban seems like the type to meet such a suggestion with even more resolve to do it his way than he had beforehand. I have a bad feeling all this "Woj said" stuff is sealing our coffin right now.

Yeah,  probably so. For some reason I was thinking that if Mark would listen to anyone, maybe it would be Ditk. I'm sure you and that Gump fellow are right though.
Like Reply
(06-19-2021, 12:35 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Yeah,  probably so. For some reason I was thinking that if Mark would listen to anyone, maybe it would be Ditk. I'm sure you and that Gump fellow are right though.

Geez pal, I sure hope we're wrong. I want nothing more than for the Mavs to win like 5 championships with Luka so that I can hold my head high around my Laker/Warrior/Celtic/Spurs fan friends.
Like Reply