Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-18-2021, 07:21 PM)Mak Wrote: It’s kind of an odd thing to report, no? I imagine WOJ starting a text group labeled “persons of stature” and frantically asking them what conditions they’d need to work for the Mavs.

Nah, it's Woj. I imagine he has open, ongoing conversations with almost every person of stature in the entire NBA scene.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:23 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nah, it's Woj. I imagine he has open, ongoing conversations with almost ever person of stature in the entire NBA scene.

Right.  He's just talked to enough people around the league to know that Voulgaris' reputation is so bad that it would be a deal breaker for anyone who has enough clout in the league that they can pick their job.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [Image: 7LEE.gif]
I actually think the difference was a whole point of Woj's report. Mark knows if he hires a person with enough stature to realistically negotiate on terms of this sort, he can't keep Bob in the fold. But that's one reason in favor of hiring a Mosley, for example, or someone with less stature, who couldn't make him change his ways. 

He understands the choice, and it is not at all certain what direction he'll head.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:21 PM)Mak Wrote: It’s kind of an odd thing to report, no? I imagine WOJ starting a text group labeled “persons of stature” and frantically asking them what conditions they’d need to work for the Mavs.

I would be surprised if it isn't a veiled reference directly referring to one Mr Ujiri.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:30 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I actually think the difference was a whole point of his report. He knows if he hires a person with enough stature to realistically negotiate on terms of this sort, he can't keep Bob in the fold. But that's one reason in favor of hiring a Mosley, for example, or someone with less stature, who couldn't make him change his ways. 

So it was reference to COACH and not GM?
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So it was reference to COACH and not GM?

Oops. I meant Finley. Thanks for the sharp eyes.
Like Reply
https://discord.gg/S8Bm2QeK
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply

Did you get a text? I didn't! :-(
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:34 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://discord.gg/S8Bm2QeK

What is the significance of posting this link now, today? You guys chatting during playoff games or something?
Like Reply
Obviously the internal dysfunction is the primary cause but I think the pressure from seeing Atlanta and Phoenix, two franchises who passed on Luka for lesser players, still going deep in the playoffs while the Mavs lost in the 1st round again, definitely played a role in expediting Donnie's firing.

The quality of their supporting casts compared to Luka's is just such an immense and almost immeasurable gap.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:18 PM)Branduil Wrote: Obviously the internal dysfunction is the primary cause but I think the pressure from seeing Atlanta and Phoenix, two franchises who passed on Luka for lesser players, still going deep in the playoffs while the Mavs lost in the 1st round again, definitely played a role in expediting Donnie's firing.

The quality of their supporting casts compared to Luka's is just such an immense and almost immeasurable gap.

I agree that it's painful to see. 

Since it doesn't seem like Donnie was in charge of putting the team together these past couple of years, it seems like a bad reason to fire him, if true.
Like Reply
To alleviate traffic here and also seems some keep missing this option...each post gets several new Discord users to sign up...the news is also breaking faster over there and folks are chatting about the current events now...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree that it's painful to see. 

Since it doesn't seem like Donnie was in charge of putting the team together these past couple of years, it seems like a bad reason to fire him, if true.
I mean it sounds like no one was in charge except the capricious god, Mark.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:22 PM)Branduil Wrote: I mean it sounds like no one was in charge except the capricious god, Mark.

And we don't even know THAT for sure, but that's how it seems to me, too. 

Look, I'm not going to cry over Donnie. He collected a ton of money here over many very comfortable years, during which he was either not great at his job or willing to take crap from us over someone else being not great at it. 

But let's not celebrate until there's actually something GOOD taking over from here, right?
Like Reply
All I know is whoever approved the Seth/JRich trade should never be allowed to make NBA decisions again
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:52 PM)Branduil Wrote: All I know is whoever approved the Seth/JRich trade should never be allowed to make NBA decisions again

Agreed. I'm ashamed to admit I drank the kool aid on that one, but I did. One of my most embarrassing takes ever, and there have been many.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agreed. I'm ashamed to admit I drank the kool aid on that one, but I did. One of my most embarrassing takes ever, and there have been many.

Me too. Seth was never good enough on defense to start here (he's of course saving the Sixers bacon as I type), so I was glad to see us getting a starter and a pick for him. Turns out the "starter" is far worse at basketball than he is. Stupid me.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agreed. I'm ashamed to admit I drank the kool aid on that one, but I did. One of my most embarrassing takes ever, and there have been many.
A lot of us did. Of course the difference is we're not being paid to make these decisions for a living.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:58 PM)Branduil Wrote: A lot of us did. Of course the difference is we're not being paid to make these decisions for a living.

Well-said.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What is the significance of posting this link now, today? You guys chatting during playoff games or something?

We always chatting.... I love the discord. It's mainly me and StepbackJay talking KP tonight tho. We talk all sorts of things tho. Usually talk during the other playoff games too.
Like Reply