Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-17-2021, 06:57 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Nice call...

I was starting to think last night about how much the Donnie firing changes everything. Like we have no idea the type of player the new gm will want, they have no loyalty to anyone here, etc. 

And I also thought that might extend to the coach. I certainly didn't think Rick would resign right away tho. 

I don't think it's Rick not wanting to wait around tho. I think it's more of he knows he doesn't have any protection from the GM now. Things are changing for better or worse. He's butting heads with the star player. He knows the seat is going to start to get warm. 

And quite frankly it's a good time for him to be enter the coaching market again.

Good thoughts.  I am not happy with Carlisle leaving but do think there is an opp for the Mavs.  

I really hope this went down civil and Mark and Rick spoke and Mark said he couldn't guarantee anything in the future and the new GM would be making these decisions.   I don't Rick's job would be in jeopardy now in all likelihood, but he could definitely could be in an odd position in which he wasn't protected.   If the conversation with Mark and Rick went this way than I would call it acceptable.  Rick needs to look out for himself and a change is probably good for him.  IF he decided to jump because things are really rotten here, than that is really bad news.
Like Reply
I'm just curious how accelerated the GM search becomes with Carlisle out and some many open chairs around the league.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:03 PM)cow Wrote: I'm just curious how accelerated the GM search becomes with Carlisle out and some many open chairs around the league.

If there isn't a sense of urgency after today then I don't think Cuban will ever find something to act urgently on.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:03 PM)cow Wrote: I'm just curious how accelerated the GM search becomes with Carlisle out and some many open chairs around the league.

We better get a GM quick.  The last thing I want to see is Cuban start his excel spreadsheet tinkering again before free agency.   We will probably wind up with Howard Eisely again.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 06:57 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Nice call...

I was starting to think last night about how much the Donnie firing changes everything. Like we have no idea the type of player the new gm will want, they have no loyalty to anyone here, etc. 

And I also thought that might extend to the coach. I certainly didn't think Rick would resign right away tho. 

I don't think it's Rick not wanting to wait around tho. I think it's more of he knows he doesn't have any protection from the GM now. Things are changing for better or worse. He's butting heads with the star player. He knows the seat is going to start to get warm. 

And quite frankly it's a good time for him to be enter the coaching market again.

It is very common in sports where the GM gets fired with the head coach. Getting a new GM with Carlisle would have made the latter a lame duck coach (which also happens in sports). That is RARELY ever good, especially if you're trying to entice quality players to come to DAL, and could hinder team morale as well. 

It was time for change for all parties. IMO, the Mavs are the biggest winners in this. Big things ahead boys, big things ahead. *JET Larry O'Brien Tattoo Emoji*
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:07 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: It is very common in sports where the GM gets fired with the head coach. Getting a new GM with Carlisle would have made the latter a lame duck coach (which also happens in sports). That is RARELY ever good, especially if you're trying to entice quality players to come to DAL, and could hinder team morale as well. 

It was time for change for all parties. IMO, the Mavs are the biggest winners in this. Big things ahead boys, big things ahead. *JET Larry O'Brien Tattoo Emoji*

First order of business for the new GM is to get an irrational confidence guy next to Luka. We need someone who will tattoo the Larry O’Brien and then back it up. Whose it gonna be?
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 06:57 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: And quite frankly it's a good time for him to be enter the coaching market again.

Got his pick of 5 other jobs, most likely.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 07:02 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Good thoughts.  I am not happy with Carlisle leaving but do think there is an opp for the Mavs.  

I really hope this went down civil and Mark and Rick spoke and Mark said he couldn't guarantee anything in the future and the new GM would be making these decisions.   I don't Rick's job would be in jeopardy now in all likelihood, but he could definitely could be in an odd position in which he wasn't protected.   If the conversation with Mark and Rick went this way than I would call it acceptable.  Rick needs to look out for himself and a change is probably good for him.  IF he decided to jump because things are really rotten here, than that is really bad news.

I seriously doubt it went down this way with the body of evidence presented so far. But I hope it did. No guarantee should be made to Carlisle from Mark. It should be up to the basketball guy to make the decisions..

(06-17-2021, 08:44 PM)embellisher Wrote: Got his pick of 5 other jobs, most likely.

Yep.. That Boston job looks juicy with Tatum and Brown. I'm surprised Ainge was out... But it was time for a change there too. So many misses despite alot of good moves.
Like Reply
MacMahon Nugget (from Lowe Podcast):

Donnie was in fact FIRED by Cuban for the power struggle he was in.
Like Reply
(06-17-2021, 09:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: MacMahon Nugget (from Lowe Podcast):

Donnie was in fact FIRED by Cuban for the power struggle he was in.

https://media.giphy.com/media/BYhoMtJMQsYVy/giphy.gif
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 02:26 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: The Rick Carlisle question to me is the most impactful thing to watch for as a possible domino effect. 

A few points to consider. 

1) Carlisle was questioned in the post game 7 loss press conference about how the way things went (in a somewhat negative direction) might affect his own future with Dallas.  His answer was essentially you'd have ask Mark Cuban that question and then in so many words from my perspective I'm not thinking in terms of going anywhere

So how much did this catch Rick by surprise?  Was he part of the decision, doesn't seem likely but who knows?). 

2) Carlisle has a long standing rep among many in the media and in the league, and in general as one of the very top coaches in the league.  Many would probably say top 5?   At the same time, Dallas hasn't been back to that area as a team for a decade now.   So how does Cuban see it?  

Brad Stevens case is interesting here.  It appears by most accounts that bumping him up to the front office was an alternative firing the highly regarded coach.  Is Carlisle in that position?  
Would a new GM want to come in without changing coaches in this situation? 

3) The Luka influence.  This being the Lebron player empowerment era, doesn't what Luka want have a major impact now?  Its not the old days where this was sort of above the players control level. 

Who is Luka's "team" and who do they like for GM and who do they like for Coach?  
Did Luka hint anything of his feelings about how the roster and coaching was being handled after the disappointing loss to the Clippers? 

Huh

Bump. Some thought that Carlisle would not necessarily be affected, at least not soon but was on probably on the clock. 
The clock was in fact almost immediate. 

In fact this was my 1st thought on subject when the news came out that Donnie was out.  

New day in Dallas basketball.  
Now who is next in?  Mavs assistant?  
What about this guy? 

[Image: 800px-Jason_Kidd_Nets_coach_cropped.jpg]
Like Reply
Mavs GM Jeff Schwartz 

Mavs Head Coach Jason Kidd
Like Reply
A few random thoughts...

I can't say that I'm glad Donnie and Carlisle are gone.  I like both and the grass isn't always greener.  However, the level of dysfunction and the resulting insubordination within the organization were untenable.  Something had to give.  I don't know enough to take sides, but the status quo was the worst of all worlds.

It does appear Donnie was fired and Rick quit.

The Carlisle thing was't a surprise to me.  Some weeks back I posted about Hollinger making an odd statement that he "wouldn't be surprised" if Carlisle moved on.  It was so odd the way he said it.  It was kind of like he knew something and didn't intend to let it slip.  My antennae has been up ever sense.  I'm not sure MacMahon is the best source for all things Dallas.  But, the picture he painted of the Luka/Carlisle relationship on the Lowe Post yesterday was frightening.  

I think TX Bama is at least partially right.  Luka has some growing up to do.  A lot has been placed on his 22 year old shoulders and the story isn't written yet.  But, there is a future version of him that is easy to embrace.  I can also see a future version of him that isn't as mature, likeable and coachable as I'd like.

I like that Cuban is (apparently) conducting a professional search for the POBO/GM and waiting to let the new guy hire the coach.  I have my fears.  Does he go after a big name guy pretending he will take a step back (even Jerry hired Bill Parcels once upon a time).  Does he hire someone who is happy to have the job and willing to "share" control with Mark (which will be perceived by most here as a puppet, but with fewer skins on the wall than Donnie).  What does the middle of the fairway look like on this?  

Who is having trade/draft and FA conversations on behalf of the Mavs in the meantime?

I think the damn broke on this at the TDL.  Pretty clearly we've seen that decision making has been a mess.  Whether it be the 2020 draft or most clearly the Miami fiasco at the beginning of free agency in 2019.  Cato said yesterday he's been working this since February and hinted the chorus got louder at the TDL.   I imagine the Donnie loyalists (according to Cato there were quite a few), couldn't let whatever happened or didn't happen at the TDL happen again during this off season.

I think we will look back on the last two years wondering what could have been.  Kind of two summers of lost opportunities like missing out on Giannis in the 2013 draft.  Who was Donnie et al trying to get at the TDL and why didn't it happen.  Who was holding onto space for Giannis (when the world should have known he would re-up).  What might have we done the last two years if we weren't trying to take yet another big swing for the fences?  What might have been if either version of the Miami deal had gone through.  BTW, just because Bob is apparently an acerbic egotistical prick, it doesn't mean he's wrong about every single player evaluation.  I'm still optimistic about Josh Green and pleased to know there was some basis for his selection besides just adding another continent to the roster for PR purposes Down Under.

Speaking of Analytics, has anyone ever heard Bob V. talk about KP?  

No wonder tea leaf reading has been so difficult.  We've been dealing with two sets of leaves.  Like I said Wednesday, literally everything we think we know about preferences and relationships and the basis upon which decisions are made (based on history) are all out the window now.  Literally anything could happen from a personnel standpoint this summer.  I think we can stop with the posts about Duffy clients coming here.  The Duffy relationship with Mark has always been poor.  It was the Duffy relationship with Donnie that overcame the history with Cuban.  I suspect Duffy takes a wait and see attitude rather than pushing any more of his guys this direction (its not like the JRich thing turned out like he hoped).
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Who is having trade/draft and FA conversations on behalf of the Mavs in the meantime?
This is my biggest question right now.   From what I gather this search firm likes to take their time and does not rush things.  Are we looking at 2 weeks?  A month?  Quite frankly Dallas does not have that much time to spare.    The plans have to be well in progress right now and connections also need to be happening.   I don't think it is possible to bring someone in 3 weeks from now and have him hire a coach, develop an offseason plan, and execute the plan in that short time period.  In honesty, it probably leads to a big mess if they wait 3-4 weeks to hire someone.   Also, with all the leaks recently, I imagine there will be plenty of scouts and front office people who will continue to leak stuff this summer.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is my biggest question right now.   From what I gather this search firm likes to take their time and does not rush things.  Are we looking at 2 weeks?  A month?  Quite frankly Dallas does not have that much time to spare.    The plans have to be well in progress right now and connections also need to be happening.   I don't think it is possible to bring someone in 3 weeks from now and have him hire a coach, develop an offseason plan, and execute the plan in that short time period.  In honesty, it probably leads to a big mess if they wait 3-4 weeks to hire someone.   Also, with all the leaks recently, I imagine there will be plenty of scouts and front office people who will continue to leak stuff this summer.

Totally agree. New guy needs time. If Cuban or anyone intermediate (like Finley) does the draft and FA, no smart GM would come in to take responsibility for the mess. I hope Mavs hire GM in a week or so.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: A few random thoughts...

No wonder tea leaf reading has been so difficult.  We've been dealing with two sets of leaves.  Like I said Wednesday, literally everything we think we know about preferences and relationships and the basis upon which decisions are made (based on history) are all out the window now.  Literally anything could happen from a personnel standpoint this summer.  I think we can stop with the posts about Duffy clients coming here.  The Duffy relationship with Mark has always been poor.  It was the Duffy relationship with Donnie that overcame the history with Cuban.  I suspect Duffy takes a wait and see attitude rather than pushing any more of his guys this direction (its not like the JRich thing turned out like he hoped).

To me it sounds like the main problem was between Carlisle and Duffy. Rondo, Collison, Richardson and Doncic were all acquired by Cuban (and Donnie) and ended up having huge problems with Carlisle. It´s almost like every time Carlisle doesn´t approve of a decision, he´ll punish the poor player for it. I don´t want Rondo. I don´t want raw rookies.

Therefore it´s plausible Duffy tried to keep his clients away from the Mavs in free agency, because Carlisle killed the value of so many of his clients. Who knows how many other agents felt the same way about Carlisle´s behaviour and people skills.

In retrospect, we probably had no shot at Lavine in free agency as long as Carlisle was here. Now it may be different. Obviously it would still depend on the new GM/headcoach, but I feel the biggest obstacle has been removed.
Like Reply
Today is fire the gambler day.  If Luka does not like him, he has to go.  

You can find an evil math genius all sorts of places but there is only one Luka. 

The head collector will be collected.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:57 AM)omahen Wrote: Totally agree. New guy needs time. If Cuban or anyone intermediate (like Finley) does the draft and FA, no smart GM would come in to take responsibility for the mess. I hope Mavs hire GM in a week or so.

I say they have 3-4 weeks easily, because I expect a new GM to come fully prepared to the interviews with a 2-3 year plan how to build a title contender around Luka. I expect that person to have a staff that already know everything about the free agents and the draft. Obviously Mark will hire somebody, who has similar visions and ideas. The NBA draft is on July 29th. So they´ll have two weeks to work out the details of the plan and hire a headcoach before free agency.

Though I don´t think it´s a drama, if the head coach is not in place on August 1st. Ultimately the head coach is just the extended arm of the GM´s philosophy.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: This is my biggest question right now.   From what I gather this search firm likes to take their time and does not rush things.  Are we looking at 2 weeks?  A month?  Quite frankly Dallas does not have that much time to spare.    The plans have to be well in progress right now and connections also need to be happening.   I don't think it is possible to bring someone in 3 weeks from now and have him hire a coach, develop an offseason plan, and execute the plan in that short time period.  In honesty, it probably leads to a big mess if they wait 3-4 weeks to hire someone.   Also, with all the leaks recently, I imagine there will be plenty of scouts and front office people who will continue to leak stuff this summer.

The correct answer is still that you don't do *anything* regarding free agency/the draft/trades until the new guy comes in. He needs a blank slate. But you all are correct - the hire needs to take place within 6 days (the one week clock started yesterday) and we are progressively screwed with any days beyond that that the hiring process takes.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think we can stop with the posts about Duffy clients coming here.  The Duffy relationship with Mark has always been poor.  It was the Duffy relationship with Donnie that overcame the history with Cuban.  I suspect Duffy takes a wait and see attitude rather than pushing any more of his guys this direction (its not like the JRich thing turned out like he hoped).

Dan, you have been our most valuable poster over the past year or so. I think you left out the biggest piece by far of the Cuban/Duffy concern. If your comments here are germane, it would seem that the single biggest reason for Mavs fans to panic ought to be climbing into the orange if not the red.
Like Reply