Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-16-2021, 04:21 PM)omahen Wrote: I think Mavs need a new GM within a week or max two, if they are making changes this offseason. Otherwise it will likely be run it back with a MLE guy and perhaps a minor trade or two and do the big move next offseason.

Don't disagree.  But that isn't the MO here:

His proponents believe he can communicate with owners in a way that helps them properly diagnose their weaknesses, and that, unlike his competition in the headhunting field, he’s eager to do so. Forde, for example, boasts about the fact that his searches last twice as long as the average GM hunt. “Mike’s a lot more thorough and strategic,” said a second executive, who’s dealt with Forde and other headhunters.

Forde’s process is fairly consistent. Someone reaches out and hires Sportsology (which has about 25 full-time employees) for a fee (Forde declined to disclose the amount). Pre-pandemic, Forde and his colleagues would spend around a week on-site, meeting with various individuals in and around the team, both at the ownership level but also lower down on the food chain. “People who have been in organizations and maybe not been heard,”  

Forde said he stays away from X’s and O’s. “We’re more interested in the process of decision-making. How did you come to the outcome and if you properly used your organization’s resources.”

The goals for all the meetings and conversations are twofold. It’s about understanding the specific nuances of that organization—and more specifically its ownership group. Then, Forde essentially reverse engineers a list of candidates. “An ownership’s way of working is probably set,” he said. “The key is to find the people who are the best match.” 

(06-16-2021, 04:26 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Whoever is best at surrounding Luka with actual NBA level starters and star is the one who should be hired...

What are you thinking if you are Tim Hardaway right now?
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:27 PM)Tyler Wrote: It has been claimed that Luka is not happy about the move and will have a statement tomorrow. We'll see soon enough if that's true. ESPN also did its normal clickbait thing by cherry picking a simple statement about extension talks not happening yet in a way that implies there's some sort of drama around it. But nobody has claimed he will not sign the extension.

The funniest thing to me is that we shouldn't even be expecting those talks to have started yet.  It was such a weird soundbite and kind of felt like it came out of nowhere.  

Plus his name isn't "Donsick" so I'm not going to trust anyone who is claiming to have sources close to a guy who's name he can't say correctly.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Don't disagree.  But that isn't the MO here:

His proponents believe he can communicate with owners in a way that helps them properly diagnose their weaknesses, and that, unlike his competition in the headhunting field, he’s eager to do so. Forde, for example, boasts about the fact that his searches last twice as long as the average GM hunt. “Mike’s a lot more thorough and strategic,” said a second executive, who’s dealt with Forde and other headhunters.

Forde’s process is fairly consistent. Someone reaches out and hires Sportsology (which has about 25 full-time employees) for a fee (Forde declined to disclose the amount). Pre-pandemic, Forde and his colleagues would spend around a week on-site, meeting with various individuals in and around the team, both at the ownership level but also lower down on the food chain. “People who have been in organizations and maybe not been heard,”  

Forde said he stays away from X’s and O’s. “We’re more interested in the process of decision-making. How did you come to the outcome and if you properly used your organization’s resources.”

The goals for all the meetings and conversations are twofold. It’s about understanding the specific nuances of that organization—and more specifically its ownership group. Then, Forde essentially reverse engineers a list of candidates. “An ownership’s way of working is probably set,” he said. “The key is to find the people who are the best match.” 

https://media.giphy.com/media/2jtFalxmya.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I assume Mark has someone ready to work.   I dont think this was some hair brain idea to fire Nelson.   Mark has a plan.   We might not like it or it might not work out...but there is a plan I believe
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Don't disagree.  But that isn't the MO here:

I said there are options. If the search will take 2 months, than I don't expect anything big this offseason, at least not from a new GM. If you are a serious new GM - would you come to a situation where part time GM locked your hands with moves in the critical offseason ? I wouldn't. This would be an absolute disaster. If I am a top GM, I want time to prepare for this offseason or I want a support for a long term plan to turn this thing around in 3-4 years.

I would hope the decision was not emotional in a moment but a well thought process which would already include preparation for next GM.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:30 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: What are you thinking if you are Tim Hardaway right now?

Porzingis, too. Donnie seems to have been his top defender in the front office, even going so far as coming to his defense in a way that was perceived as taking a shot at Luka. I think the odds of him being traded as part of a bigger shakeup with new management just went up. 

This summer could be pretty wild, and a lot of the moves we took for granted could be back up in the air. 

Cuban could realistically approach a top GM candidate and say here's a team with Luka, a few past deal conversations we can fill you in on to trade KP, and the ability to let THJ go if you want to work with big cap space. Want to make a name for yourself and build a team around a superstar? Here's the ultimate opportunity.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 03:22 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/stat...30120?s=20

Spears doesn't know anything about the Mavs and never has. 

I challenge anyone to point to 1 piece of news that Spears made about the Mavs BEFORE it was widely reported. 

Don't forget this doozy. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2825...y-pelicans
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:39 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I dont think this was some hair brain idea to fire Nelson.   Mark has a plan.   We might not like it or it might not work out...but there is a plan I believe

I bet Forde has already been searching for a new GM for a week or so. Would be shocked if not.
Like Reply

What’s weird to me is Cuban says you don’t fire a coach unless you have a plan to replace them with someone better. But he’s willing to fire a president with no one in mind to replace him. 

Makes me worried that Vulgar Bob is the new GM and Forde’s job is just to do due diligence
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:42 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: What’s weird to me is Cuban says you don’t fire a coach unless you have a plan to replace them with someone better. But he’s willing to fire a president with no one in mind to replace him. 

Who says there is no plan? I mean we don't know, but it would be really stupid to not have one
Like Reply
https://discord.gg/S8Bm2QeK
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:42 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: But he’s willing to fire a president with no one in mind to replace him. 

I bet Cuban already has a pretty good idea who will be GM and Forde has already been working....
Like Reply
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/content/dam/ctvn...1481122317
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:43 PM)omahen Wrote: Who says there is no plan? I mean we don't know, but it would be really stupid to not have one

If you need to hire a scouting firm to find your next hire that says to me you don’t have anyone. Though I could be wrong. Maybe he knows he has his own biases and he needs the consultants to help him through that. Or maybe he wants the consultants to take a look at himself. 

Ujiri is the obvious choice.

Like I said Ainge might be considered.

I’m afraid Vulgar Bob already has the job.
Thank you Donnie.
Like Reply
I think the Luka stuff is overblown.  He seems like he'd be a ride or die person for anyone on his team.  Ask him about Melli and I'm sure he'll heap praise.  But the kid is ready to win so if you upgrade the roster, which seems like a really low bar to clear, he'll have no ill will toward the franchise and can still be friends with Donnie.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I bet Cuban already has a pretty good idea who will be GM and Forde has already been working....

Its too obvious (at least to me) who the next guy should be:
[Image: image.png]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:48 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: If you need to hire a scouting department to find your next hire that says to me you don’t have anyone.

We don't know when it was hired. It can also just be a show.

(06-16-2021, 04:48 PM)DallasBasketball Wrote: I’m afraid Vulgar Bob already has the job.

Why? I mean, this directly contradicts your previous statements, as it would mean Cuban already has a plan (no one said plan is good, we hope it is). If he has a plan, why bother hiring the agency? See answer above. If he has a plan, why is the only option this plan is Bob?
Like Reply
I wish we had draft picks this year.  I'd be really excited for once.
Like Reply
I dont know if the Twitter handle title change thing is legit or not...its childish if true...

But I dont have any sort of problem with Voulgaris at this point.   Until someone gives me facts on what decisions he made and what worked and didnt work...I see no problem with having a "supposedly" bright numbers guy chiming in on things. 

What has he done that is so bad?  Why does he have a Billionaires ear?   I assume Billionaires have bright people pitching ideas to them all the time.   Voulgaris must be pretty bright or have some really good ideas that he brings to the table for Mark to have anything to do with him.
Like Reply
(06-16-2021, 04:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Its too obvious (at least to me) who the next guy should be

Definitely. It takes two to tango, but Ujiri was certainly throwing spears at Raptors, as in they are not in a position to succeed. As an optimist I would hope Mark already has an agreement with him. I don't know when exactly his contract expires and perhaps that firm is hired just to mask a process and the fact that choice was already made, before Ujiri could actually even be allowed to talk about it publicly.
Like Reply