Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP
(03-30-2021, 08:42 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Luka already showing more chemistry with Melli than he ever did with KP  Big Grin

Not true.  He and KP did that same type of stuff in the beginning on the court.  They were stuffing KP in a tiny car on video and doing crazy stuff.  You guys have short memories.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Like Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/CNF1QkaBh2I/
Like Reply
"Mavs twitter you can calm the f*** down..."
"Will be with the team this week in NY...still rehabing"
Like Reply
FThings that stuck out...

- "Dallas Twitter, you need to calm the f*** down." - JJ Redick
-  Their video guy for the podcast is a huge Dallas Mavs fan, and Tommy Alter, his co-host with was telling him the day before --"Man, Mavs Twitter is super nervous.  I think you need to put something out rather quick."
- He didn't go to the Twitter because he has a podcast where he can say what he actually wants to say in full without letting everyone interpret his Twitter the way he wants.
-  He does have a ZOOM with the press at the end of practice Thursday.
-  I am rehabbing an injury, not laying out.  
- He had in injection in his heel, has been on the court, and wants to be back and intends to be back with Dallas soon as he can, doesn't know when.
- He will be with the team on Friday in New York (he's in NY right now).
- If what he says is true, he's got all the respect for Dallas, their organization and is excited to play here, but he was totally not expecting it and it was jarring, because of what NO front office had told him to his face, and he feels he can't trust them again.
-  He said that he met with them and asked for a trade in November, because of the COVID protocols, his son's preschool would not really make it feasible for him and his wife to come down to visit, because if you travel, you automatically quarantine for a week, so they couldn't come on weekends and see him and they couldn't ask their 4 YO not to tell anyone he say his dad that weekend.
-  He said that David Griffin told him to come down for a month and if after a month he didn't want to be there, they would get him somewhere he would be happy with and sign off with.
-  He said he was very forthcoming in about 4 conversations with the FO about his reasoning stated above, and he was completely convinced that when he was not traded by the aggregate date that he was definitely getting a buyout and he would return to Brooklyn then...so since the first of February, that's what he was expecting....and that was just about being able to see his family on days off and when he was in town, not signing with Brooklyn.
-  He was tactfully very critical of the NO front office, based on what they said to him, and said he couldn't trust those guys again, and he didn't feel that what happened to him was an isolated incident.  He called himself "naive" because he felt that his status as a veteran of 15 years and the way he's done something that they would honor what they said. 
- He said that he called "Mark" and told him had nothing but praise, but told him the situation that "in any other year, he'd be thrilled to be traded there", but because of all the stuff above, it was hard.  He did say that because of the parameters he was looking for, he was trying to get somewhere within driving distance, and Dallas is actually farther away from Brooklyn than NO.  
-  he was very complementary of Dallas, the front office, of Mark, Carlisle and all the players, naming almost the entire roster by name, and said they were a "good team", it was a "great basketball situation", he called Luka and KP "transcendent young talents" and he looked forward to being on the court with them soon bringing leadership and shooting and was very thankful for being able to play with so many great players in his career and talked about how he'd look back on this in 10 or 20 years and just be so thankful to say "I got to play with this guy and that guy" and it was really great. 

I have no worries.  I do wish it hadn't gone down this way.  Personally, the way he said all that, I don't think for a minute he's not coming to play, play hard and do his best.  I doubt seriously he'll be here after the season is over for sure.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Mainly the thing that sticks out about the JJ Redick interview is that this will continue to be an LA/NY dominated league, because that's where the players want to live and do their side hustles (you can probably throw in Golden State and Miami in there too .. though maybe to a lesser degree).   The league is going to have to figure out a way in the new CBA to help the small and mid-market teams over-compensate players financially to get them to play for them without punitive cap ramifications if they ever want to have anything remotely resembling competitive parity.  Otherwise it's just going to be NY vs. LA super team of mercenaries in the finals every year every year (which it very likely will be this year). 

Other than that, it sticks out how he knew ahead of time that Jrue getting traded would be bad for his playing time, because JVG is obsessed with one on one matchups and the loss of Jrue's defensive versatility meant there would be less opportunities for Redick to play.  Have to think that philosophy didn't help Melli's case for playing time either.   Who would be the defensive wing minded wing who would counter balance Melli?  Certainly not Zion or Ingram.
Like Reply
JJ I think is pissed that he wasn't bought out. He says "traded" but of course his kid is in Brooklyn and they are the title favorites so he was probably 90% sure he was going to be on his way home any day now.

He's had multiple opportunities to sign in the NE but of course was happy to take New Orleans' money which coincidentally is nowhere near his home. Now he's upset that 1 year into a 26 mil dollar contract he wasn't traded to his preferred destination. Not a good look for him trashing that FO that handed him a lot of money at like age 34.
Like Reply
It is what it is.  I can certainly understand his frustration.   JJ has been doing this long enough though.  He knows for all the great things playing in the NBA gives you, one of the negatives is being traded to who knows where at any time.   I get it though....especially in the COVID restrictions of having his kids visit.   

Hearing him talk, it certainly appears this was a last minute deal by Dallas.  They didn't talk to JJ's agent it appears, didn't know the severity of his injury, etc.   I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were working on different deals, but you would think that just a checkin with the agent would have been the smart move if this type of move was anywhere on the radar.    I hope it was just a last minute deal and not a story of Dallas being sloppy.
Like Reply
Listened to the pod on an empty stomach, now I am sooo hungry for that taco.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 12:41 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

For those who are unfamiliar with this pod, he pulls the curtain back and reveals behind the scenes things like this in almost every episode, and somehow he gets his guests to do so, too. Since many of his guests are teammates, recording with him on road trips, we're almost guaranteed to get to know some of our Mavs in deeper way over the coming weeks. I'm pretty excited about that, personally. 

There's also a lot of X's and O's talk that isn't dumbed down at all. He talks a lot about things like footwork, scheme terminology and other stuff you really can't get anywhere else. The best episodes are when he and some other NBA player start talking shop and pretty much forget they're being recorded. I highly recommend people check out a few full length episodes of this. I'd start with the Jimmy Butler episode - they go WAY behind the scenes in that one.

What stood out to me in this snippet is that he seemed PISSED at David Griffin and the New Orleans front office, and he's old enough not to care about burning any bridges. I agree with others that he's not going to re-sign here after this season, but that he seems excited to give the rest of this one his best.
Like Reply
The thing I am most surprised is that player is not involved in trade discussions at all. I certainly wouldn't do it without talking to a player.

Cubes would actually look like best owner ever, if he would let Redick go. Not sure it would help Dallas long term, but it would certainly look great
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 01:26 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is what it is.  I can certainly understand his frustration.   JJ has been doing this long enough though.  He knows for all the great things playing in the NBA gives you, one of the negatives is being traded to who knows where at any time.   I get it though....especially in the COVID restrictions of having his kids visit.   

Hearing him talk, it certainly appears this was a last minute deal by Dallas.  They didn't talk to JJ's agent it appears, didn't know the severity of his injury, etc.   I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they were working on different deals, but you would think that just a checkin with the agent would have been the smart move if this type of move was anywhere on the radar.    I hope it was just a last minute deal and not a story of Dallas being sloppy.

Honestly I think this has been Dallas' backup deal for a while now. Remember there was a report of their interest like weeks ago. They aren't allowed to talk to agents about players on other teams so it would be up to NO to give Reddick's agent a heads up. I am surprised they didn't do that, not sure why that is.

I am pretty sure Mavs first option was something else maybe tied to the Lowry-non trade.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 01:00 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: FThings that stuck out...

- "Dallas Twitter, you need to calm the f*** down." - JJ Redick
-  Their video guy for the podcast is a huge Dallas Mavs fan, and Tommy Alter, his co-host with was telling him the day before --"Man, Mavs Twitter is super nervous.  I think you need to put something out rather quick."
- He didn't go to the Twitter because he has a podcast where he can say what he actually wants to say in full without letting everyone interpret his Twitter the way he wants.
-  He does have a ZOOM with the press at the end of practice today.
-  I am rehabbing an injury, not laying out.  
- He had in injection in his heel, has been on the court, and wants to be back and intends to be back with Dallas soon as he can, doesn't know when.
- He will be with the team on Friday in New York (he's in NY right now).
- If what he says is true, he's got all the respect for Dallas, their organization and is excited to play here, but he was totally not expecting it and it was jarring, because of what NO front office had told him to his face, and he feels he can't trust them again.
-  He said that he met with them and asked for a trade in November, because of the COVID protocols, his son's preschool would not really make it feasible for him and his wife to come down to visit, because if you travel, you automatically quarantine for a week, so they couldn't come on weekends and see him and they couldn't ask their 4 YO not to tell anyone he say his dad that weekend.
-  He said that David Griffin told him to come down for a month and if after a month he didn't want to be there, they would get him somewhere he would be happy with and sign off with.
-  He said he was very forthcoming in about 4 conversations with the FO about his reasoning stated above, and he was completely convinced that when he was not traded by the aggregate date that he was definitely getting a buyout and he would return to Brooklyn then...so since the first of February, that's what he was expecting....and that was just about being able to see his family on days off and when he was in town, not signing with Brooklyn.
-  He was tactfully very critical of the NO front office, based on what they said to him, and said he couldn't trust those guys again, and he didn't feel that what happened to him was an isolated incident.  He called himself "naive" because he felt that his status as a veteran of 15 years and the way he's done something that they would honor what they said. 
- He said that he called "Mark" and told him had nothing but praise, but told him the situation that "in any other year, he'd be thrilled to be traded there", but because of all the stuff above, it was hard.  He did say that because of the parameters he was looking for, he was trying to get somewhere within driving distance, and Dallas is actually farther away from Brooklyn than NO.  
-  he was very complementary of Dallas, the front office, of Mark, Carlisle and all the players, naming almost the entire roster by name, and said they were a "good team", it was a "great basketball situation", he called Luka and KP "transcendent young talents" and he looked forward to being on the court with them soon bringing leadership and shooting and was very thankful for being able to play with so many great players in his career and talked about how he'd look back on this in 10 or 20 years and just be so thankful to say "I got to play with this guy and that guy" and it was really great. 

I have no worries.  I do wish it hadn't gone down this way.  Personally, the way he said all that, I don't think for a minute he's not coming to play, play hard and do his best.  I doubt seriously he'll be here after the season is over for sure.
Thanks for the summary, Bama.
Like Reply
Yup looking like a rental for a few months and that's it. He will want to sign with the Nets in the offseason to be closer to home.
Like Reply
Everything JJ said is understandable, but this is a ramification of all the players making their homes and side hustles based in LA and NY.   They can always (legitimately) say they want to force a deal to the NY/LA clubs to be closer to home and family.   And, oh, it just so happens that you can chase a ring there because so many Superstars also forced trades to those markets to be "closer to home" is a nice added bonus.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 03:15 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Everything JJ said is understandable, but this is a ramification of all the players making their homes and side hustles based in LA and NY.   They can always (legitimately) say they want to force a deal to the NY/LA clubs to be closer to home and family.   And, oh, it just so happens that you can chase a ring there because so many Superstars also forced trades to those markets to be "closer to home" is a nice added bonus.

If he wanted to be in Brooklyn than he should have signed a contract there.  All of these players are forcing their way to NY and LA and making the league a fake wrestling show.  We all know its Lakers Nets in the finals and thats why Cuban is reluctant to go all out with this team.  JJ should either void his contract and not get paid or STFU and be a professional.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 03:47 PM)haveitall Wrote: JJ should either void his contract and not get paid or STFU and be a professional.

JJ is pissed because they PROMISED to trade him to the East coast or release him.
Like Reply
JJ throwing massive shade at NOPBT.  Seems like we are a less than ideal situation for him personally but he's excited from a basketball standpoint.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 01:15 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: JJ I think is pissed that he wasn't bought out. He says "traded" but of course his kid is in Brooklyn and they are the title favorites so he was probably 90% sure he was going to be on his way home any day now.

He's had multiple opportunities to sign in the NE but of course was happy to take New Orleans' money which coincidentally is nowhere near his home. Now he's upset that 1 year into a 26 mil dollar contract he wasn't traded to his preferred destination. Not a good look for him trashing that FO that handed him a lot of money at like age 34.

He explained it better in the podcast. 

His child registered to school (Kindergarten) in September, when they thought the NBA will start in March (basically thought most of school time he will be in Brooklyn). With NBA deciding to start early, it changed the situation for him and now neither him or his family can visit each other. (school mandate the kid one week quarantine if he leaves the state) 

In addition, Jrue was traded and he knows Van Gundy and his defensive system and knew with Jrue out it means JJ will get less playing time. Said that Jrue was actually the reason he went there (though he states they offered him best contract). 

My guess is that he thought with change of situation (coach and player) he wasn't going to have a role there so asked for a trade in order to be closer to his own family.

The one thing he complained about is that he got promise they will send him where he wants to go.
He said he understands they looked for their best interest, and looked he was naïve to think his status as 15 years veteran would give him some sort of "respect" to his trade request. But main problem is that he won't trust Griffin and NO organization words.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 01:05 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Mainly the thing that sticks out about the JJ Redick interview is that this will continue to be an LA/NY dominated league, because that's where the players want to live and do their side hustles (you can probably throw in Golden State and Miami in there too .. though maybe to a lesser degree).   The league is going to have to figure out a way in the new CBA to help the small and mid-market teams over-compensate players financially to get them to play for them without punitive cap ramifications if they ever want to have anything remotely resembling competitive parity.  Otherwise it's just going to be NY vs. LA super team of mercenaries in the finals every year every year (which it very likely will be this year). 

Other than that, it sticks out how he knew ahead of time that Jrue getting traded would be bad for his playing time, because JVG is obsessed with one on one matchups and the loss of Jrue's defensive versatility meant there would be less opportunities for Redick to play.  Have to think that philosophy didn't help Melli's case for playing time either.   Who would be the defensive wing minded wing who would counter balance Melli?  Certainly not Zion or Ingram.

A hard cap is the only way to fix it.  And that would be a tough negotiation with the union.  Don't see them giving that up.
Like Reply