• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: JJ Redick + Nicolo Melli to DAL | JJ + Iwundu + 2021 2nd + cash to NOP
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1375174276249219075
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...5895985167
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mjk2341/status/13751...75108?s=20
Like Reply
I think there is real value in new JJ's veteran presence and playoff experience.  There will be times he looks like an old man but he will have a few moments where he goes nuclear from 3 and hopefully those time out as well as possible for the Mavs.

I think Melli is here to hold a spot in the event the Mavs get real interest from one of the potential buyouts.  Mavs have the Luka gravity and will also have real minutes available at the backup 4.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 02:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: at least a different approach than what sucked so much about how the team built around Dirk for all those years.

It´s the same approach they used every single year for the last 11 years. Different name or a youger franchise player won´t change that.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 02:58 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: I think there is real value in new JJ's veteran presence and playoff experience.  There will be times he looks like an old man but he will have a few moments where he goes nuclear from 3 and hopefully those time out as well as possible for the Mavs.

I think Melli is here to hold a spot in the event the Mavs get real interest from one of the potential buyouts.  Mavs have the Luka gravity and will also have real minutes available at the backup 4.

I agree with both thoughts.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 02:54 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: People keep equating cap space with plan powder. It's not all about getting max free agents although I'm sure they'll try to a certain extent.

I don't think most people leery of cap space are worried about max free agents.  Quality free agents would be a huge step in the right direction for the MBT.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 02:54 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Keeping cap space why trying to figure out how to build the team around Luka is smart. Unless you have a good reason to get rid of the cap space.

People keep equating cap space with plan powder. It's not all about getting max free agents although I'm sure they'll try to a certain extent.

I agree. 

And I keep saying this, though nobody wants to deal with it. I'm really getting skeptical that Cuban is willing to pay the luxury tax. Even if he is willing, it's super clear that he wants to avoid it as long as possible. I think Donnie is having to be MUCH more careful this time around, and while there have been some misses, you can't argue that the team is improving. 

As I've been saying since I found this board, I will BURN THE MBT TO THE GROUND if they don't find at least an off the wall double of a move to finish this roster (the first version of it, anyway) by the time Luka signs his extension next summer. I'm just choosing to roll with them (and their fiscally responsible approach) until then. The goal is to have the right flexibility at the right time, and it might not work! But I'm going to let them see it through before I crucify them.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mjk2341/status/1375173989404975108
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 02:54 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Keeping cap space why trying to figure out how to build the team around Luka is smart. Unless you have a good reason to get rid of the cap space.

Good reasons like Luka´s max extension or the opportunity to stay over the cap with resigned THJ7JRick and a better trade return.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...2542035974
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1375175836161208328
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 03:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: the team is improving. 

The team or Luka? I would argue that it is more about Luka getting better and better. Don´t think the supporting cast is any better or worse compared to last season.
That´s the thing with all time great talents. Dirk carried mediocre rosters to deep playoff runs and 50 win seasons. Luka can probably do the same. One big hit in the draft can secure a GMs job for the next 10-20 years but in the end the bad decisions from the same mentioned GM/owner prevent the all time great talent from winning more.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 03:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I agree. 

And I keep saying this, though nobody wants to deal with it. I'm really getting skeptical that Cuban is willing to pay the luxury tax. Even if he is willing, it's super clear that he wants to avoid it as long as possible. I think Donnie is having to be MUCH more careful this time around, and while there have been some misses, you can't argue that the team is improving. 

As I've been saying since I found this board, I will BURN THE MBT TO THE GROUND if they don't find at least an off the wall double of a move to finish this roster (the first version of it, anyway) by the time Luka signs his extension next summer. I'm just choosing to roll with them (and their fiscally responsible approach) until then. The goal is to have the right flexibility at the right time, and it might not work! But I'm going to let them see it through before I crucify them.

Oh Yeah I 100% agree. 

once you go over the cap and start paying the tax it makes things super difficult for roster building. And mavs know they got work to do there.
they are clearly methodically approaching this and not rushing into it. 

I think Mark will pay the tax however much when we are legit contenders. 

Regardless of the pipe dream scenarios... We need another legit star unless KP takes a big step up with his consistency/health.

(03-25-2021, 03:01 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Good reasons like Luka´s max extension or the opportunity to stay over the cap with resigned THJ7JRick and a better trade return.

Hate to break it to you but Mavs are clearly setting up for 2022 cap space. It can't be more obvious they are going to wait to sign Luka's extension till that FA.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 03:05 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Hate to break it to you but Mavs are clearly setting up for 2022 cap space. It can't be more obvious they are going to wait to sign Luka's extension till that FA.

Already included the excuse for this years free agency blunder. All about 2022. Just like it was all about 2021 last year. And all about 2020 the year before. Love it.
Like Reply
(03-25-2021, 03:05 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Hate to break it to you but Mavs are clearly setting up for 2022 cap space. It can't be more obvious they are going to wait to sign Luka's extension till that FA.

If this is true, I won't be happy about it. That will be the first thing that pisses me off. Going on record right now. The Luka extension should be offered the absolute SECOND it is legal to do so, and if you have to dump KP's ass five minutes after that in order to open the window a crack more, you do it. 

Not shooting you, the messenger, just hoping the Mavs can get this done THIS SUMMER.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...1851384832
Like Reply
Well at least it was this year's 2nd rounder....so much for the draft this year....
Like Reply
Big fat "meh" on the JJ deal.  Mavs did need shooting, but he's not going to move the needle in the playoffs.  Wouldn't actually be surprised if he's just injured for most of his time here.  I know he was a former Texas resident at one time and had a house in the Austin area.   Who knows, maybe he hits it off with Cubes and Bob Voulgaris talking about crypto or something and decides to stay in Dallas and ends up in the Mavs front office.  

As far as the Mavs are concerned, I'm glad they didn't do anything overly dumb just to "do something", and I liked that Lonzo didn't get traded to someone who would have immediately locked him up.
Like Reply
It’s the 2021 2nd outgoing. So, once the draft is over this summer we will have all but one 1st and all but one 2nd available for trade(if needed we could release the protections on the piCk to NYK) . Powell becomes nearly expiring(last year partial guarantee) this summer. Plenty of good young talent already on the roster(not sure why everyone wants to trade Maxi and DFS). Now is not the time to go all in. Not sure why everyone was expecting big moves. Luka is just now figuring things out. Too much uncertainty with KP........We will be good every year for 10+ years. No need to rush things like we did in some of the Dirk years
Like Reply