Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.5 pt RAPTOR dogs & 1.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
72.22%
13 72.22%
Suns
27.78%
5 27.78%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1: DAL (0-1) @ PHX (1-0) | 102-106 loss
(12-24-2020, 09:22 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Phoenix shouldn't be able to clog the lane AND take away the 3.  There wasn't much room for the driver or the roll man last night.  Actually this was the case in preseason also.  I agree Powell doesn't have all of his lift back yet.  But, I can't tell how much because I've yet to see him get a clean look.  In the pre-season we at least made people pay with good outside shooting.  Last night...not so much.

They do clog the lane, because the guy covering Powell is not following him, he is just staying in the paint. This is why Powell will have problems staying in, not because of his alleged lack of athleticism. They basically followed same strategy with Kleber, who took 7 three pointers and had a possibility to fire a couple more but was indecisive. This will change totally when KP returns.

(12-24-2020, 09:22 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Something you've been preaching...DFS at SF...worked pretty well last night.  Lineups that featured that were a very good +10.  This was DFS and Johnson with either Maxi or WCS.  Of course, it is hard to know if it was because this grouping was good or THJ was bad.

Or it is perhaps just a small sample size Smile I rewatched the third quarter and among it part with first WCS stint where I think he was +7. I can safely say it is not because he was so special, it was just that a couple of shots fell in those couple of minutes.
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 04:34 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow, the overreactions after one lost game... I will rather focus on the positive. 

Our star player had 32 points and everyone complains what a bad game he had. Nice place to be in...

Defense was good.

Mavs shot 24 % from three yet stayed in the game. I guess their shooting levelized to the normal percentage after 3 extremely hot shooting preseason games. Shooting will improve. It also had to be said Phoenix played very good defense.

Mavs were without number 2 yet still in play.
32 points on 26 shots with 10 points coming at the free throw line isn't exactly stellar stuff.
Like Reply
My knee is a jerk and therefore, I hate OPJ!!!
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 10:33 AM)Playmaker Wrote: 32 points on 26 shots with 10 points coming at the free throw line isn't exactly stellar stuff.

He also had third highest percentage on the team, trailing only Brunson and Richardson.
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 04:36 AM)Thukydides Wrote: Luka looks brutal. Can´t get by anyone.

The man had 32 points are we kidding ourselves? He started the game 0/6. Brutal start I agree. He ended the first quarter 2/9. 

Everyone couldn't buy a damn bucket. You know what Luka shot the next 3 quarters? 3/6, 3/5, 3/6. 9/17 overall. 53%

The only real issue was that he couldn't hit a single three, which isn't surprising because everyone was colder than ice. 

Luka didn't have a game to his standards, but thats just because our standards of him are of ridiculous proportions. He started cold but played the rest of the game slightly positive. Luka wasn't the reason why we lost the game.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Basketball is still an inside-out game. Move the ball, get penetration and find the open shooter on a kick out pass. That´s good offense with a high 3-point volume. Against the Suns we saw a team that couldn´t get in the paint. Passed the ball around on the perimeter and forced bad 3s.
The Mavs desperately need to create more scoring opportunities in the paint. Against the Suns they only had 4pts in the paint from the three bigman. No easy baskets out of the pick and roll, no post ups. Luka, Brunson and Burke struggling to beat the defense of the dribble. Not enough off ball movement. I only remember one cut from Josh Green leading to a layup in the 2nd quarter.

Part of the problem is certainly Luka not being at his best. Right now he lacks some quickness but in the 2nd half he at least made some adjustments and started to play bully ball in the paint. In the post he had no problem with Bridges and easily backed him down for a layup.
Bigger problem is the center position. Powell is not moving like he used to. Maxi is not a good pick and roll player (basically a pure stretch 4/5 at this point). Boban is a liability on defense. Looking at the small sample size of three preseason and one regular season game WCS might be the best option.
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 11:41 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Basketball is still an inside-out game. Move the ball, get penetration and find the open shooter on a kick out pass. That´s good offense with a high 3-point volume. Against the Suns we saw a team that couldn´t get in the paint. Passed the ball around on the perimeter and forced bad 3s.
The Mavs desperately need to create more scoring opportunities in the paint. Against the Suns they only had 4pts in the paint from the three bigman. No easy baskets out of the pick and roll, no post ups. Luka, Brunson and Burke struggling to beat the defense of the dribble. Not enough off ball movement. I only remember one cut from Josh Green leading to a layup in the 2nd quarter.

Part of the problem is certainly Luka not being at his best. Right now he lacks some quickness but in the 2nd half he at least made some adjustments and started to play bully ball in the paint. In the post he had no problem with Bridges and easily backed him down for a layup.
Bigger problem is the center position. Powell is not moving like he used to. Maxi is not a good pick and roll player (basically a pure stretch 4/5 at this point). Boban is a liability on defense. Looking at the small sample size of three preseason and one regular season game WCS might be the best option.
[Image: 499315.jpg]

I´m so curious whether the Mavs even tried to trade to construct a trade around Powell for Batum. That looked like a golden opportunity to get rid of him, cause we need those $11M to upgrade the spot between Porzingis and Kleber.
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 11:41 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Basketball is still an inside-out game. Move the ball, get penetration and find the open shooter on a kick out pass. That´s good offense with a high 3-point volume. Against the Suns we saw a team that couldn´t get in the paint. Passed the ball around on the perimeter and forced bad 3s.

Great post. This generalization was my takeaway, too. 

Like others have said, I hate when THJ tries to create shots for himself, and there were other things that drove me crazy too, but the cause of all the issues was that the team simply couldn’t generate any penetration.
Like Reply
We saw a lot of different lineup looks. I don't know all the stats or anything but I like the energy Johnson brings out there. WCS looked good at times. Powell had a rough night. He cannot get up for rebounds and physically he just doesn't have the body to be a center. He is best served off the bench next to Maxi. I hope Rick will try some different starting lineups.

That Ayton is really good. I think that's the type of big you want in today's NBA. His defense was really good on Luka. Luka's usually moves near the basket were not working on Ayton. Phoenix would have run away with this thing if they hadn't turned the ball over so much.
Like Reply
Tactical substitution error with 3:38 to go.

Game was tied at 96 and went to timeout. Carlisle pulled WCS - who was having a great impact on the game - and replaced him with Kleber. 

Dallas forced a miss but couldn't corral the rebound. That was Willy's rebound. Kleber fouled Ayton who sank both 98-96. Carlisle should've left WCS in the game for that key defensive possession.

Next possession was the JRich turnover + foul. CP3 made 1 of 2. 99-96. 

I realize the Mavs tied it up at 100 with 1:56 left but they should've gone ahead. The sequence above was too much to overcome.
Like Reply
Totally agree with the other posters, center is a problem, especially with DFS at PF.  Porzingis when he returns should not be the lonely center either, wish he had a real PF next to him, a thick Zion Williamson type that would eat space.  Also I find this team to be really easy to root for, just check the reaction to the ball spinning after Richardson's shot, that's a team right there.

(12-24-2020, 01:38 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Tactical substitution error with 3:38 to go.

Game was tied at 96 and went to timeout. Carlisle pulled WCS - who was having a great impact on the game - and replaced him with Kleber. 

Dallas forced a miss but couldn't corral the rebound. That was Willy's rebound. Kleber fouled Ayton who sank both 98-96. Carlisle should've left WCS in the game for that key defensive possession.

Next possession was the JRich turnover + foul. CP3 made 1 of 2. 99-96. 

I realize the Mavs tied it up at 100 with 1:56 left but they should've gone ahead. The sequence above was too much to overcome.
Agreed WCS played really well.  He was the best big out there.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1342185648938225666
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 09:22 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Something you've been preaching...DFS at SF...worked pretty well last night.  Lineups that featured that were a very good +10.  This was DFS and Johnson with either Maxi or WCS.  Of course, it is hard to know if it was because this grouping was good or THJ was bad.

Speaking of THJ.  He played 40 seconds of the final 13:10.  Hmmm.

Interesting choice of Dorian to be the starter who went out early and played with the subs last night.  35 minutes at +11.  He didn't hit his shots, but 11/8 with three assists and two steals is a nice line for him.

People who constantly harp on Powell's shortcomings can't let Maxi off the hook for last night.  -19?  He was -18 in the last bubble game against Phoenix (the Suns are his cryptonite?).  Ayton pinned him down low three different times for super easy shots (he didn't do that to Powell even once).  I joked about Ayton scoring 40 on Powell, but he actually only scored 3 on Powell and 10 on Maxi.  When Maxi had another big with him the team was +6.  When he didn't the team was -25.  Maxi is no more the answer at C with no PF help than Powell is.

Phoenix shouldn't be able to clog the lane AND take away the 3.  There wasn't much room for the driver or the roll man last night.  Actually this was the case in preseason also.  I agree Powell doesn't have all of his lift back yet.  But, I can't tell how much because I've yet to see him get a clean look.  In the pre-season we at least made people pay with good outside shooting.  Last night...not so much.

Free Willie!

Great stuff!

My birds-eye take going back to the last couple years....

All three of DP, Maxi, and DFS need to be in a TWO big lineup to be most effective. Any time Maxi or DP is the sole big they really struggle. Anytime DFS is asked to be the 2nd big he really struggles. 

I really think WCS needs to be plugged in while KP is out or the Mavs are going to have all three of DFS, DP, and Maxi struggling which will lead to this team playing under 0.500 ball.
Like Reply
I will say this...

Without the defensive effort and energy by the Mavs in the first half, they would have been down by 22.  Last year...they would have been down by 22 at half.  I appreciated that welcome sight.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
An issue is that most of Mavs rotation guards are hunting for their own shot. THJ, Brunson, Burke are all trying to score. We need a facilitator. I think J Rich is less selfish in terms of getting his shots but still isn't going to give you a lot of passing either. Luka is the only guard that looks to pass first.
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 03:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Great stuff!

My birds-eye take going back to the last couple years....

All three of DP, Maxi, and DFS need to be in a TWO big lineup to be most effective. Any time Maxi or DP is the sole big they really struggle. Anytime DFS is asked to be the 2nd big he really struggles. 

I really think WCS needs to be plugged in while KP is out or the Mavs are going to have all three of DFS, DP, and Maxi struggling which will lead to this team playing under 0.500 ball.

I am with Kamm on this. I don't know why you have WCS on this team if he isn't the guy you go to when KP is out or sitting. Powell needs to be with another big no question. Powell just isn't good as your center.

Not sure what the lineup will be against the Lakers. They will start I guess Schroder, KCP, Lebron, AD, Gasol which is a very big lineup. You would have to think Mavs go big here. I'd rather start DFS and sit THJ but I doubt Rick does that.

Schroder - J Rich?
KCP - THJ?
Lebron - Doncic?
AD - Maxi?
Gasol - Powell?
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 09:35 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Man what a frustrating game and Mavs still almost won if we could have hit a wide open 3 or two. These games are going to be hard without KP.

time to change the avatar?  Smile
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 09:08 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: time to change the avatar?  Smile

done
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 10:14 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: done

https://media.giphy.com/media/QA1mexM96R.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
(12-24-2020, 11:33 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: The man had 32 points are we kidding ourselves? He started the game 0/6. Brutal start I agree. He ended the first quarter 2/9. 

Everyone couldn't buy a damn bucket. You know what Luka shot the next 3 quarters? 3/6, 3/5, 3/6. 9/17 overall. 53%

The only real issue was that he couldn't hit a single three, which isn't surprising because everyone was colder than ice. 

Luka didn't have a game to his standards, but thats just because our standards of him are of ridiculous proportions. He started cold but played the rest of the game slightly positive. Luka wasn't the reason why we lost the game.

Sure he had 32 points. Still he couldn´t punish neither Ayton nor Smith on the switch. Couldn´t go one-on-one against Bridges either. He obviously doesn´t have the pop in his step, which made him totally unguardable by PG and KL in the playoffs. Many many times Westbrook has had 32 points and I called it a bad game. If you´re super inefficient AND make very bad clutch decisions, that´s a brutal game (for Luka´s standards) -> I give you that appendix.

He´ll always be able to score 30 on 20+ shots. Guess what, the great players don´t need so many and we happen to have had one of the most brilliant examples in Dirk. How many times did he score 25 on 12 shots? 

Just saying Luka having 32 makes any argument against him impossible is short-sighted and will result in complaceny and in the end lack of success.
Like Reply