Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 3rd Round: Minnesota Timberwolves - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-1!
We need to win it all this year. It could be our best chance in the Luka-Kyrie Era

The West is so stacked and will be better next year. OKC will be a force for years when they add the right pieces (maybe as soon as this summer).

Now is our time
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • Lukedoncic, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
@NBAW0RLD24

Players are shooting 90-216 (41.7 FG%) when guarded by Luka Doncic this playoffs.

That’s the lowest FG% when guarded by ANY player this playoffs
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BiasedSlightly/statu...3166219526

Are we sure Lively can't defend in space?????
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 11:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/BiasedSlightly/statu...3166219526

Are we sure Lively can't defend in space?????

We’re sure he CAN!
Like Reply
What I’ve gathered from listening to talk from Wolves players and Finch:

- They were just tired from their grueling series vs Denver
- The Mavs didn’t do anything to win the game the Wolves just played awful
- The Mavs are guilty of defensive 3 seconds all the time
- Most of the Mavs screens are illegal
- Wolves didn’t execute their game plan at all, in fact it was maybe their worst execution all season
- Shooting 49 threes wasn’t because the Mavs forced them to it was because they allowed them to…and they had at least 10 more great looks they could have taken too

I think that about sums it up
[-] The following 3 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, SleepingHero, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 12:49 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: What I’ve gathered from listening to talk from Wolves players and Finch:

- Wolves didn’t execute their game plan at all, in fact it was maybe their worst execution all season
- Shooting 49 threes wasn’t because the Mavs forced them to it was because they allowed them to…and they had at least 10 more great looks they could have taken too

Wow, tell me your franchise hasn't been to the WCF in a generation without telling me your franchise hasn't been to the WCF in a generation. 

Even if all that was true (it's not) you don't say that much crap publicly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 12:51 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow, tell me your franchise hasn't been to the WCF in a generation without telling me your franchise hasn't been to the WCF in a generation. 

Even if all that was true (it's not) you don't say that much crap publicly.

Best thing that can happen to us. If we somehow manage to match their energy and desperation and shooting efficiency in game 2 they could be in for a rough awakening, but then it‘s possibly too late.
[-] The following 2 users Like Knutsen's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
JJ and LeBron on the series:

https://youtu.be/yZyl0YUID6Q?si=kCe4bpNu6-eApFzj
Like Reply
I don't buy that they didn't want to play deep drop defense. There is no way that players get it wroing all game long. After timeouts. After halftime. When the coach had all the time in the world to make them aware of it.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
I expect a better Minny game tonight. Dallas didn't play great either, but I really expect a really aggressive Wolves team. No days off for the Mavs. Just because you won on the road doesn't mean you let up because you got one.

I hope for a close game late. Make Minny make the winning plays late if they get the Win. Maybe they feel the pressure and you leave 2-0. A tight game late is where the Mavs really have been good.

As I said after last game, my biggest fear is an aggressive Minny team with a friendly whistle where PJ and/or Lively get in early foul trouble.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 12:49 AM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: What I’ve gathered from listening to talk from Wolves players and Finch:

I am reading in Slovenia media (didn't look for original statement), that Finch said he told his players he was very dissapointed with their attitude. He said he is not sure if his guys realized they are in the conference finals and what it means.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 07:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I expect a better Minny game tonight.  Dallas didn't play great either, but I really expect a really aggressive Wolves team.  No days off for the Mavs.    Just because you won on the road doesn't mean you let up because you got one. 

I hope for a close game late.  Make Minny make the winning plays late if they get the Win.  Maybe they feel the pressure and you leave 2-0.    A tight game late is where the Mavs really have been good. 

As I said after last game, my biggest fear is an aggressive Minny team with a friendly whistle where PJ and/or Lively get in early foul trouble.

I agree, especially the foul trouble part. 

I need a Mavs win tonight after all the comments coming from the Wolves players and their coach. They gave zero credit to the Mavs and basically said they gave the Mavs a lucky win. 

Hitting them in the mouth and going up 2-0 would be such validation. 

Need another Luka+Kyrie barrage and the same intense defense from everyone. Hopefully PJ/DJJ continue their play. If Green can wake up and not play for the Wolves that'd be great too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Because Hardy is slipping into the lineup and taking THj minutes, I'm beginning to wonder if he might suddenly hit a hot streak. Given the rather weak performance of other wing players on the bench, he might be given a longer leash in a game like this. He'd have to hit a few shots pretty quickly, but I'm not sure that's really out of the question.

Almost every pundit expects Minnesota to recover tonight. It's so one-sided, I almost think that's a good reason to feel the opposite.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 09:58 AM)Winter Wrote: Almost every pundit expects Minnesota to recover tonight. It's so one-sided, I almost think that's a good reason to feel the opposite.

I am not so optimistic. I think Minny will show their A game while Mavs will not. Mavs have been their best when it was needed most and not so good when it wasn't. I hope I am wrong of course. They have to lose 2 games at some point to win in 6 Smile
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 10:07 AM)omahen Wrote: I am not so optimistic. I think Minny will show their A game while Mavs will not. Mavs have been their best when it was needed most and not so good when it wasn't. I hope I am wrong of course. They have to lose 2 games at some point to win in 6 Smile

I can definitely see that side of it.
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 09:10 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: We need to win it all this year. It could be our best chance in the Luka-Kyrie Era

The West is so stacked and will be better next year. OKC will be a force for years when they add the right pieces (maybe as soon as this summer).

Now is our time

Although it is true that the West could be even better next season, I think we'll improve as a team as well.  

PJ Washington has fit in seamlessly post-trade but I think Gafford will benefit from training camp reps and more time with this current roster.

Young guys like Jaden Hardy and Josh Green should improve (maybe Luka as well?)

I think Kidd has room to improve as a coach and expect some growth there.  

Most importantly, Dereck Lively is on a trajectory to become a defensive star.  I think he's two seasons away from being a top-5 defensive player in the NBA.  His rebounding will improve as he gets stronger.  His offensive game has plenty of room for growth.  He is so much better than I thought he would be when we drafted him.  Tyson Chandler is the common comparison but Lively actually has the potential to be so much better than Tyson.  I'm calling it now-  Lively will be a top-20 player in the NBA in 3 years.   

In summary, I think the Mavericks will also improve next season.  I also think the Western Conference teams relying on aging superstars will continue to fall off- the Lakers, Warriors, Clippers and Suns.  Two of those will be replaced in the playoffs/play-in by the Grizzlies and the Rockets.  The Mavericks are currently one of the top-4 teams in the NBA and barring major injuries, will finish with a top four record next season.
[-] The following 2 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • mvossman, The Jom
Like Reply

It's aggravating but I give the Wolves credit for something important.  

There was not a single dirty play against Luka in the entire game.  No tripping him up from behind or pulling him down on screens.  No stepping on his ankle or jumping on his back.  The Thunder and especially the Clippers behaved very differently.  The Wolves can fail to give credit if they like as long as they play fairly.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 07:15 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I expect a better Minny game tonight.  Dallas didn't play great either, but I really expect a really aggressive Wolves team.  No days off for the Mavs.    Just because you won on the road doesn't mean you let up because you got one. 

I hope for a close game late.  Make Minny make the winning plays late if they get the Win.  Maybe they feel the pressure and you leave 2-0.    A tight game late is where the Mavs really have been good. 

I'm sorry but you don't hang 33 on a team in the first quarter when you're exhausted from the previous series, either mentally or physically. The Mavs didn't play to their potential either so I think they find out tonight that the Mavs are the better team and we go up 2-0. Had they ended up beating us, none of the exhausted or effort stuff would have ever been mentioned. It's an inexperienced team that doesn't know what it takes at this level and just because they want to play better doesn't mean that we can't also. Mavs go up 2-0 tonight!
Like Reply
If they keep Ant on Kyrie this whole series, it will be a short series for them. Kyrie is obviously in elite condition and Ant can't contain him regardless.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 01:09 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: If they keep Ant on Kyrie this whole series, it will be a short series for them. Kyrie is obviously in elite condition and Ant can't contain him regardless.

I have a great feeling about where the Mavs are in this series, but I'm not so sure I agree with this, just yet. That was NOT Edwards' best effort the other night (or the best defensive effort from McDaniels, for that matter). I think both of them are capable of making things much harder for Luka/Kyrie than what they showed in game 1. 

This game 2 is going to be illuminating on several fronts, but my guess is that we come out of it with a much bigger sense of what the Mavs are up against in this series.
Like Reply