Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
(05-10-2024, 05:22 AM)omahen Wrote: Not sure if this was posted already or not (video was done after game 1). Great analysis of OKC defense. Basically they are totally clogging the paint and guarding both stars, giving the other Mavs the Giddey treatment. Worked for them in game 1, didn't work in game 2. Lets see if they will keep the plan going forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-NnjxkZEXA

Great analysis!

It explains why Gafford and Lively are having such a difficult time around the hoop.

Their strategy of packing the paint, plus the lack of favorable whistles, and Dallas poor 3-point shooting in Game 1 spelled doom.

But in Game 2, their 3-point shooting came alive, so they won.  And they kept OKC off the offensive glass.  And they didn't turn the ball over.

It was a satisfying win, but it still bugs me that it required an abnormally good shooting night.  I'd love to see Dallas figure out some defensive handcuffs. Like, maybe hold OKC to 40% shooting?
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 11:23 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: It was a satisfying win, but it still bugs me that it required an abnormally good shooting night.  I'd love to see Dallas figure out some defensive handcuffs. Like, maybe hold OKC to 40% shooting?

That's the thing...

"Abnormally good shooting night" absolutely applies in a "relative to how Dallas has shot so far in these playoffs" sense, BUT, if you ignore TWO players (everyone but Luka, Kyrie and whichever 5 is in the game) so much against ANY OTHER TEAM in the playoffs, they'll shoot you out of the game in about one quarter. 

So, the Mavs really need to change their mindset, imo. This abnormally good shooting night needs to be the norm, moving forward, at least until the defense is forced to somewhat respect shooters and open up some space for Luka/Kyrie to do their thing. I don't think there IS a defensive gear that can keep OKC to double digits, scoring wise. They're just too good, offensively. Chet will probably have a rough shooting night from deep (he certainly had several in Round 1) and MAYBE SGA will, too, but advancing past this round is going to require the Mavs to shoot confidently when the ball finds open players, imho. No way around it. 

One of the many reasons it sucks that Kleber is out. 

On the plus side, I think we all know that Hardaway isn't going to hit threes in one game and then go back to his slump. I'd guess we have at least 2-3 more of this heater, and one of them might even be better than 6-10. I hope so, anyway. Green's rhythm has been trending back to normal over the past couple of games, finally. 

It's really about whether or not Washington and DJJ can sink enough to keep the defense honest.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 12:01 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's the thing...

"Abnormally good shooting night" absolutely applies in a "relative to how Dallas has shot so far in these playoffs" sense, BUT, if you ignore TWO players (everyone but Luka, Kyrie and whichever 5 is in the game) so much against ANY OTHER TEAM in the playoffs, they'll shoot you out of the game in about one quarter. 

So, the Mavs really need to change their mindset, imo. This abnormally good shooting night needs to be the norm, moving forward, at least until the defense is forced to somewhat respect shooters and open up some space for Luka/Kyrie to do their thing. I don't think there IS a defensive gear that can keep OKC to double digits, scoring wise. They're just too good, offensively. Chet will probably have a rough shooting night from deep (he certainly had several in Round 1) and MAYBE SGA will, too, but advancing past this round is going to require the Mavs to shoot confidently when the ball finds open players, imho. No way around it. 

One of the many reasons it sucks that Kleber is out. 

On the plus side, I think we all know that Hardaway isn't going to hit threes in one game and then go back to his slump. I'd guess we have at least 2-3 more of this heater, and one of them might even be better than 6-10. I hope so, anyway. Green's rhythm has been trending back to normal over the past couple of games, finally. 

It's really about whether or not Washington and DJJ can sink enough to keep the defense honest.

It's a make or miss league.  Boston one of the best 3 pt shooting teams in the league, shot 8-35 last night in their 118-94 loss. Cleveland OTOH is not a prolific 3 pt shooting team shot 13-28 almost 50% Just have to hope the hot shooting from last night continues. PJ and Green had wide open looks and knocked them down. I'm sure OKC will make adjustments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Eh, game 1 was culture shock. After fisticuffs all series long with the Clips, the league pulled the chair on em and whistled a regular season game. Mavs adjusted and killed it last night.

By my count, Thunder only have 6 playable dudes. Mavs have 8. Absent further injury, I like our spot a lot.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 12:14 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: PJ and Green had wide open looks and knocked them down. I'm sure OKC will make adjustments.

See, that's just it...I'm not so sure I'd adjust anything, were I in their shoes. If you were running OKC's game plan, what would scare you more, based on how the Mavericks have played since the TDL, another game full of open shots for PJ, Green and DJJ, or a game where your defense isn't super shaded towards Luka/Kyrie? I believe I'd be in the "let's see if you guys can do it again" mindset, myself. 

It's going to be interesting to see what OKC does for game 3, but my instincts tell me at least one shooter is going to have to be "hot" in every game the rest of the way for the Mavs to win this series.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, fifteenth, Lukedoncic, omahen
Like Reply
The adjustment I expect from OKC is to minimize Giddey's involvement until he's ultimately not on the floor at all.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Regarding the 3 pt shotting, I have some hope based on how Josh Green's and PJ's shooting seems to be trending. As round one progressed, they both started hitting their threes. So, this game wasn't a complete anomaly. And I agree that Timmy probably has some more shots to hit.

Also, I wonder if the newness of this team contributes to their slow start in a series.

Before the playoffs I wondered if our mid-season trade would pay true dividends next season, while this season was a bit like 2010 leading to 2011. The Mavs are proving my theory to be inaccurate, except that, with a greater comfort level in the offense, with a training camp under their belt, the shooting from role players could be better next season. But it's nice to see at least a few role players starting to hit some shots now.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 10:55 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: The offense has woken up. I hope that lasts, because they’re playing great defense and it’s still not enough  to keep that OKC offense down, the way it did to LAC.

I don't think they can suffocate OKC for an entire game like they did to LAC. But as long as they have 3-4 bursts of no baskets for 2 minutes, I think that's enough. From lasts nights game they had several stretches like that:

[Image: 1788804469565608029_0.jpg?ex=663f04ba&is...height=498]
[Image: 1788804469565608029_1.jpg?ex=663f04ba&is...height=576]
[Image: 1788804469565608029_2.jpg?ex=663f04bb&is...height=660]
[Image: 1788804469565608029_3.jpg?ex=663f04bb&is...eight=1166]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 12:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think they can suffocate OKC for an entire game like they did to LAC. But as long as they have 3-4 bursts of no baskets for 2 minutes, I think that's enough. From lasts nights game they had several stretches like that:

[Image: 1788804469565608029_0.jpg?ex=663f04ba&is...height=498]
[Image: 1788804469565608029_1.jpg?ex=663f04ba&is...height=576]
[Image: 1788804469565608029_2.jpg?ex=663f04bb&is...height=660]
[Image: 1788804469565608029_3.jpg?ex=663f04bb&is...eight=1166]

Totally agree, their defensive identity will get them through the crucial stretches, as long as they're more focused than the opponent. BUT, I still feel the shooting has to be passable to GET them to those crucial moments.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 12:17 PM)The Jom Wrote: Eh, game 1 was culture shock. After fisticuffs all series long with the Clips, the league pulled the chair on em and whistled a regular season game. Mavs adjusted and killed it last night.

By my count, Thunder only have 6 playable dudes. Mavs have 8. Absent further injury, I like our spot a lot.

By my count, Dallas used their bench for 61 minutes of the game, OKC 78.

To be fair, Giddey was so ineffective that he only played 11 minutes. So it's almost like 30 or so bench minutes "should" have gone to him.  In that case, Dallas' bench would have had more PT.

The four bench guys that saw real PT (Jay Will, Wallace, Joe, and Wiggins) shot 12-22 and did a pretty good job, although plus-minus was negative.

Dallas bench (mostly Lively, Green & Hardaway) shot worse (11-25), but their plus-minus was outstandingly positive. 

So I'm not sure I can make a firm conclusion about who's bench is superior yet.
[-] The following 2 users Like DallasMaverick's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 12:20 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The adjustment I expect from OKC is to minimize Giddey's involvement until he's ultimately not on the floor at all.

Giddey is talented but doesn't fit on that team at all.  He's a really great passer and because of his size, can take it to the rim and finish fairly well.  He's also a great rebounder for a guard.  He's like a very poor man's Luka Doncic.  He's bad off the ball though and is below-average defensively.  They should trade him this off-season to a team where he can run the offense.  The Spurs, Nets and Wizards would all be good fits for him.  

On the Thunder, he should simply be the backup point guard when SGA isn't playing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
It is too bad about Kleber. I was looking at the stats, and Chet does a remarkable job of not fouling and getting in plenty of minutes - and is generally effective against our big men. Yet we still have no good solution when he's out of their lineup. OKC is just built to outwork their opponent up and down the court, and to play bigger than they are when Chet is not playing. Jaylin Williams is their Maxi Kleber. But I'm hoping we can find some ways to punish them more when Chet is out.

I did notice I think PJ making bigger moves to the basket to take advantage of size, and DJJ perhaps being more available as a lob threat. But I don't think we can just bank on perimeter shooting as our sole offensive weapon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Maybe I worry too much, but I'm a little concerned that Dort's physicality is going to get someone, e.g. Luka, hurt before this is over? Grabbing, pulling while fallling, "accidentally tripping", general agressiveness are good defense if you're from OKC, but it's taking chances with the health of one of our superstars. I know it's a physical game, especially the playoffs, but some of the defensive tactics seem a little excessive.

BTW, I loved how the noise level went from deafening to bedroom quiet with over 2 minutes left in the game. Kyrie shot his last FTs with less noise than the practice facility.
[-] The following 3 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 02:34 PM)Winter Wrote: …I was looking at the stats, and Chet does a remarkable job of not fouling and getting in plenty of minutes - and is generally effective against our big men. Yet we still have no good solution when he's out of their lineup. OKC is just built to outwork their opponent up and down the court, and to play bigger than they are when Chet is not playing. Jaylin Williams is their Maxi Kleber. But I'm hoping we can find some ways to punish them more when Chet is out….

I don’t think that’s going to survive the first road tipoff. Remember how awful Gafford was first 2 games in LA? The whistles will be different at home. Our younger and bigger fellas will have a chance. I expect Lively and Gaff to both look like monsters tomorrow night.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
Just gotta keep hitting those wide open 3's
OKC's entire defensive philosophy, especially when Chet is sitting, is to rotate hard and cut off the easy layups/dunks
They'll have to adjust if PJ and company keep hitting them
Then we'll get more of the regular dunks we're used to
Like Reply
Has Luka been downgraded to questionable for gm3?
Like Reply
(05-10-2024, 10:52 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Has Luka been downgraded to questionable for gm3?
@GrantAfseth
Dallas Mavericks superstar Luka Doncic (right knee sprain; left ankle soreness) is questionable to play Game 3 against the OKC Thunder.

Like Luka said, if he can walk, he can play.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://streamable.com/d9mtc3

AI is going to ruin society.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
PJ is a solid 3rd option who can creates his own shots. dude beat his defender on multiple 1 on 1 occasions and also made several assists, and more importantly OKC didn't expect him to play that way that good, which disrupted their D to such an extent that our role players began to see easier shots and delivered. PJ's influence on the game was far beyond his stats imho. PJ has been solid defensively and now he is doing his job at offense as well.
Like Reply
Do not have a good feeling about another afternoon game with less rest for Luka tbh
Like Reply