Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
I don’t think it’s wise to trade G Will with his value so low. I think he will rebound and if we still want to trade him we could get better value

Seems like the only guys that will move at the TDL are the disgruntled players and some expirings. There’s just not much out there and competition is fierce

Boucher and PJ Tucker……both known disgruntled players. I don’t see many teams asking for them. Neither team wants to buy out those players. We could use one of them

Holmes plus Hardy/SRP

Doesn’t move the needle much but it sets us up better going forward
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Dallas made an attempt to acquire Quentin Grimes, with discussions mainly focusing on Josh Green, per @MikeAScotto

However, this proposal was turned down by New York

(Via http://bit.ly/3Stlt4N)

Things that make you go hmmmmmm
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is kind of telling on a few fronts, if true.

[Image: yes-nod.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:56 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Lateral move but Grimes has one advantage. One more year on a cheap contract. Are the Mavs trying to generate space under the first apron?

I would argue Grimes is better than Green.  Better defender and more aggressive on offense.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is kind of telling on a few fronts, if true.

I think Mavs tried to get their FRP back in the process.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Okstate819
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I actually don't mind the rumored Holmes+Curry+Draft compensation deal for PJ. That's cheap enough.

If CHA could just accept 2 2nds instead of 2027 FRP then we're cooking with gas. 

If I understood Dan’s post from earlier, he was basically saying that it would be better with Williams going instead of Holmes, and I think part of the logic there is to take some of the burden out of the draft capital to carry the deal. In other words, replace Holmes with Williams and just maybe you can get it down to two seconds? I would do that for sure.

Plus, that preserves the Holmes and Hardaway expiring contracts to use over the summer or at the next deadline.

Lots of people are suddenly down on Washington, now that it looks like he’s the guy, but to my mind getting a do over on Williams by transforming him into Washington without giving up too much in order to do it would be a nice trade deadline. Just depends on the deal.

(02-08-2024, 10:01 AM)Smitty Wrote: I think Mavs tried to get their FRP back in the process.

What makes you think that? Is that just your speculation?

My assumption is that the Knicks either don’t think Green is as good as Grimes or that they don’t think either of them is worth the kind of contract Green just got. Kind of seems like the Mavericks agree, if the rumor is true.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Maybe we can do a 3-way where:

DAL: Brown+PJ
TOR: 2027 FRP+Lowry 
CHA: Holmes+Curry+1 2nd 

If rumors are to be believed Charlotte is trying to get off of Lowry money. They'd save a lot here and still get some draft compensation for PJ.

I just now realized that Brown can't be aggregated in a trade this TDL and the deal as proposed the Raptors can't do cause Lowry makes too much. The Mavs also need to send out way more money than just Holmes+Curry. About 18 mil more if they want to stay under the tax.

Might be DOA

Chris Haynes (@ChrisBHaynes)
A deal between Atlanta Hawks and New Orleans Pelicans for Dejounte Murray has halted with no progress in sight by the trade deadline, league sources tell @NBAonTNT, @BleacherReport.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bridges will be an unrestricted free agent this summer and the Hornets will retain his Bird Rights.

Bridges controls where he wants to be. Also redundant with PJ...
Like Reply
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The Phoenix Suns are shifting their focus toward Royce O’Neale, per @DuaneRankin
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 10:02 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:

What makes you think that? Is that just your speculation?

My assumption is that the next either don’t think Green is as good as Grimes or that they don’t think either of them is worth the kind of contract Green just got. Kind of seems like the Mavericks agree, if the rumor is true.

Grimes is reportedly “disgruntled”. Green is probably worth a FRP. The report is that the Knicks quickly shot down the offer. Makes sense that they were trying to get back the FRP in the trade.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 10:06 AM)Smitty Wrote: Grimes is reportedly “disgruntled”. Green is probably worth a FRP. The report is that the Knicks quickly shot down the offer. Makes sense that they were trying to get back the FRP in the trade.

Maybe. I think that’s a generous reaction to the news, personally.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Yeah, I think the Mavs idea was to get Grimes and a first and then use that first to get Washington or Kuzma.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moviemavguy's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 10:01 AM)mvossman Wrote: I would argue Grimes is better than Green.  Better defender and more aggressive on offense.

Grass isn't always greener. Statistically they are basically the same player. Last season Grimes with a little more volume. Green more efficient. This season Green is clearly ahead. Grimes lost some minutes after the Knicks added DiVincenzo and just like Green in the past he is struggling when he isn't getting consistent minutes.
Not sure about the defense. I think Grimes is better on ball. Certainly when it comes to screens. But Green plays a little bit bigger and contributes on the boards.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 10:08 AM)Moviemavguy Wrote: Yeah, I think the Mavs idea was to get Grimes and a first and then use that first to get Washington or Kuzma.

Yep. Exactly what I think also.
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 09:57 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I actually don't mind the rumored Holmes+Curry+Draft compensation deal for PJ. That's cheap enough.

I hate it.  We are paying a first for bench player on a terrible team, hoping he will get better.  Best case he is worth the first but he could just as easily be another GWill.  Its very unlikely this team can contend with PJ in the starting lineup, so why are we paying assets for him?  This screams desperation.  And if we ever get healthy, how are we going to divide up the minutes across our 10 role players.  We are going to depress the value of some of those guys.

It is also really stupid to pay assets to get off Holmes.  He will be an expiring contract in half a season.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, omahen, SleepingHero, SweetFidelia
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 10:08 AM)Moviemavguy Wrote: Yeah, I think the Mavs idea was to get Grimes and a first and then use that first to get Washington or Kuzma.

Maybe you’re right, but if so that was a very dumb thing to try. “Hey, New York, take this player who is similar to the one you are selling only already getting paid a lot of money instead of still on his rookie deal. Oh yeah, and give us a first for the trouble.“

If you guys think that was what they were trying to accomplish…yikes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Honestly I posted this in jest last night but why aren't we trying to do a DFS reunion tour?

Nets apparently aren't getting nearly the same calls for Dodo. His value has tanked. Dinwiddie also wants out BADLY.

THJ+Holmes+2027 for DFS+Dinwiddie works. And it also gives us a 20 mil expiring deal where we could retain DJJ this summer.
Like Reply
I argued a week ago that Grimes might be better than Green. (Or at least equal player and better fit)

Thus, a 1st coming to Dallas in that swap is pretty funny to me.
Like Reply
As I say this:

Marc Stein- BRK wants at least 1 first rounder for DFS. Mavs haven't been in it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-08-2024, 10:11 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I argued a week ago that Grimes might be better than Green.  (Or at least equal player and better fit)

Thus, a 1st coming to Dallas in that swap is pretty funny to me.

Grimes is still on a rookie contract. That alone probably makes him more valuable.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply