Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Paul George to Test Free Agency After No Contract Extension
(01-10-2024, 05:49 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Biyombo just got waived...

Get 'im!!!
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, hakeemfaan, Mavs2021
Like Reply
Is it too late to save money on Morris?
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 06:17 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: Is it too late to save money on Morris?

Isn’t today the deadline for Morris guarantee?
Like Reply
6 more days before the Kuzma trade.
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 06:41 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Isn’t today the deadline for Morris guarantee?

Nope, that has already come and gone.

Biyombo was paid in full. The Grizz wanted the roster space for a diff player.
Like Reply
So there is now a window with which to pursue Biyombo, BUT even a minimum contract at this point would start to eat into the amount we can take back into a trade slot.

How long before 10 day contracts are available?
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 10:46 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: So there is now a window with which to pursue Biyombo, BUT even a minimum contract at this point would start to eat into the amount we can take back into a trade slot.

How long before 10 day contracts are available?
  • 10-days are doable now. 
  • Mavs don't have any roster spaces. 
  • Would a 10-day deal be enough to land him?
  • Does this motivate the Mavs to do some trade sooner that leaves them with an empty space? 
  • Or do they even perceive a need for another C?
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 11:46 PM)F Gump Wrote: [*]Or do they even perceive a need for another C?
[*]
Come on, man. Kidd's the coach, not the GM.
Like Reply
@Con_Chron)
Steph Curry on whether he feels the Warriors need to show the front office by the trade deadline that this group should stay together: "It’s pretty evident that if things stay the same ... That’s the definition of insanity, right? Do the same thing and expect the same result?"
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-10-2024, 11:46 PM)F Gump Wrote:
  • 10-days are doable now. 
  • Mavs don't have any roster spaces. 
  • Would a 10-day deal be enough to land him?
  • Does this motivate the Mavs to do some trade sooner that leaves them with an empty space? 
  • Or do they even perceive a need for another C?

As to point 5, Nico came out early in the season that they were looking at trades to bring in more size and rebounding. Biyombo does that, at a very cheap cost. 

Now the only issue is the roster spots. Point 4 solves that pretty well. A 3 for 1 trade opens up 2 spaces, 1 for Biyombo, and 1 for 10-days pretty easily. 

I think the course is clear imo.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@wojespn)
The Grizzlies are waiving center Bismack Biyombo, sources tell ESPN. He made a good impact with franchise and could be brought back again. Memphis is expected to add another big on a newly available two-way contract.

NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Dejounte Murray is a name to monitor for the Golden State Warriors, per @anthonyVslater
Like Reply
Bleacher is "crazy". Expiring Siakam would cost Indy Jarace Walker (top 10 pick in 2023 draft) and two protected FRP according to them. On the other hand, Hunter and Murray combined (Hunter is on a decent deal and Murray on a great deal) are worth Moody (one more year on his rookie deal, not shown much in his first three years), one FRP and 2 SRP.

A proposed Mavs move for Jerami Grant has Omax in it, so it will not have many fans around here. Other than that, I like.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1010...s-and-buzz
Like Reply
Toronto beat writer and Cato discuss potential Siakam to Mavs deal on the Athletic. Seems like Toronto guy would accept bascially best possible Mavs offer. I hope Mavs would be able to negotiate for something less, but I would consider this deal too.

To Dallas: Siakam (more salary needed due to Green poison pill putting Toronto in tax)
To Toronto: Grant Williams, Tim Hardaway Jr., Josh Green, Olivier-Maxence Prosper, 2025 second-round pick (originally belonging to Toronto), 2026 first-round pick

https://theathletic.com/5193654/2024/01/...e-raptors/
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 08:16 AM)omahen Wrote: Toronto beat writer and Cato discuss potential Siakam to Mavs deal on the Athletic. Seems like Toronto guy would accept bascially best possible Mavs offer. I hope Mavs would be able to negotiate for something less, but I would consider this deal too.

To Dallas: Siakam (more salary needed due to Green poison pill putting Toronto in tax)
To Toronto: Grant Williams, Tim Hardaway Jr., Josh Green, Olivier-Maxence Prosper, 2025 second-round pick (originally belonging to Toronto), 2026 first-round pick

https://theathletic.com/5193654/2024/01/...e-raptors/

i expect any trade for Siakam (and probably Grant) to hurt.  This is probably closer to reality though.   Question though, I wonder what the split would be if the Mavs could keep one of OMAX, Green or future first.   I wonder what the breakdown would be here for which one the board would want to keep.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Sacramento offer was Barnes, Huerter, Mitchel and FRP (or potentially more). No indication if this was acceptable to Toronto, but is a deal Mavs could match in quality.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/kings-rumors...an-murray/
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 08:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: i expect any trade for Siakam (and probably Grant) to hurt.  This is probably closer to reality though.   Question though, I wonder what the split would be if the Mavs could keep one of OMAX, Green or future first.   I wonder what the breakdown would be here for which one the board would want to keep.

I'd keep Omax.
[-] The following 5 users Like Winter's post:
  • ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 08:41 AM)omahen Wrote: Sacramento offer was Barnes, Huerter, Mitchel and FRP (or potentially more). No indication if this was acceptable to Toronto, but is a deal Mavs could match in quality.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/kings-rumors...an-murray/

To your point here, I think the Toronto beat writer is out of touch on the market for a potential free agent who can walk for free.  Recent reporting seems to reflect that.  He's asking for two useful players and 3-4 assets.  I suspect the deal is closer to two useful players and one asset.  Or one useful player and one asset.  Teams who give up too many things will only have the MLE to replace what was traded away if things go poorly.  Any one of Green/2027/OMax would be painful.  Losing two plus two rotation players like GWill and THJ won't happen IMHO.

One other thing...I don't believe the writer is correct about Josh's PP causing a LT issue.  The trade machine counts his higher number in team salary.  I believe PP is just a trade matching mechanism and doesn't add to team salary for tax purposes.  Too lazy to look it up, but no one is being paid that salary, so it logically wouldn't count.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 10:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: To your point here, I think the Toronto beat writer is out of touch on the market for a potential free agent who can walk for free.  Recent reporting seems to reflect that.  He's asking for two useful players and 3-4 assets.  I suspect the deal is closer to two useful players and one asset.  Or one useful player and one asset.  Teams who give up too many things will only have the MLE to replace what was traded away if things go poorly.  Any one of Green/2027/OMax would be painful.  Losing two plus two rotation players like GWill and THJ won't happen IMHO.

One other thing...I don't believe the writer is correct about Josh's PP causing a LT issue.  The trade machine counts his higher number in team salary.  I believe PP is just a trade matching mechanism and doesn't add to team salary for tax purposes.  Too lazy to look it up, but no one is being paid that salary, so it logically wouldn't count.

I think Toronto side is hoping for "either you pay big or we keep and resign Siakam ourselves". Siakam himself is the first one that might have something to say about that in the summer. 

Interesting for me was that Cato agreed with valuation and didn't provide the counter offer.
Like Reply
(01-11-2024, 10:05 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: To your point here, I think the Toronto beat writer is out of touch on the market for a potential free agent who can walk for free.  Recent reporting seems to reflect that.  He's asking for two useful players and 3-4 assets.  I suspect the deal is closer to two useful players and one asset.  Or one useful player and one asset.  Teams who give up too many things will only have the MLE to replace what was traded away if things go poorly.  Any one of Green/2027/OMax would be painful.  Losing two plus two rotation players like GWill and THJ won't happen IMHO.

Looking back at the last trade deadline. Kyrie's value was at an all time low due to his contract situation and off court issues. Siakam comes with the same questions about his future contract. Two useful players and one asset would be comparable to SD/DFS/1st. Is Siakam worth more/less?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply

Thanks for saying all this, so I don't have to do it myself.

I think you're right on whether or not Josh's PP would cause TOR a LT issue. PP impacts trade matching, but not payroll and tax totals. And he does remind us that TOR is up against the tax line, just like DAL is, but as long as the salary totals going both ways are very close to the same, neither should go over the tax line.

I also agree the Dallas offer is a bit too rich, in light of the risk of Siakam as a FA. TOR is trying to get out from under that risk, so it's real. I would be in favor of the basic contour of the trade, but whittle down the extras. Something like this:

To Dallas: PS, 2027 SRP
To TOR: THJ, GWill, Green, 2026 FRP (contingent on 2024 conveying, protected 1-10, if either contingency pushes it out of 2026 then it becomes 2027 unprotected)

That leaves Dallas barely under the tax line, with 13 players, but with just enough room to use 1st year players to fill the slot (10-days, promote a 2-way, etc) and still remain tax-free.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply