Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NEWS: China upset w/ NBA...NBA will lose $400 million
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6ar55eFe_WDqzQrp0ajX...zyw5c-e2z-]
Like Reply
[Image: article-4946-2.jpg]

President Xi Makes NBA All-Star Team

U.S.—The NBA has found itself at odds with its lucrative Chinese market, and the league is doing its best to appease the Chinese government. In a move intended to patch things up with China, the NBA announced that President Xi Jinping has made the All-Star team this year.

The president will tower under the competition at an intimidating 5'11". Especially threatening to the opposing team will be the president's ability to imprison or execute any player who dunks on him. He is also expected to execute players on his own team who speak out against him or suggest he's unfit for the basketball team.

Oppressed Chinese citizens will be forced to form a human pyramid that the president can climb up in order to dunk on the baskets. He is expected to play all the positions and be named the MVP.

https://babylonbee.com/news/president-xi...-star-team
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 07:39 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 01:30 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Regardless of what you think about Donald Trump, it is actually hilarious(ly sad) that the same people in the league who openly oppose him don't have the balls to call out China. Really puts things in to perspective.

(Two political posts in one night, I'm outa control)

Folks know about Trump. He's in our own backyard, and if you're on twitter, in your face. 

But folks have to read to know what's going on in China, although they've been brutal and oppressive to their own citizens since Mao (for about 70 years). Should we take folks in the U.S. to task for not openly opposing events in Kashmir, with the Kurds in Syria and Iraq, in Sudan, in Yemen, or in Myanmar? 

I'm not up on all the current human rights disasters worldwide. I just pulled up genocidewatch.com to type out that list. I mean maybe you're right, maybe we should all be talking about these things and openly opposing the oppressive regimes, but we typically don't.

China's been through a lot. (This is NOT a defense of their current actions) Going back to the late 1800's, China was manipulated by foreign forces due to a lack of technological sophistication. European and US participation in the Boxer Rebellion, basically ended the Chinese dynastic period. This was followed by the 2nd Sino-Japanese War, in which Japan's troops did horrendous things to the Chinese population (see Nanking Massacre). This was conflict was still ongoing when the US entered WWII,  the Flying Tigers were over there trying to help the Chinese. Immediately after WWII, there was civil war between communist and non-communist forces that lasted until 1949 when Mao's side took control and China became a communist country with a lot of horrible events behind a veil of secrecy to get the population in-line. So now that China is an economic powerhouse and there is upward mobility among the population, nobody there is going to stand for any criticism from outsiders and you'll find a lot of support for the government's position on this topic at least.

All I'm saying is that there is a lot of violent history there that has been perpetrated by the powerful on the non-powerful which leads to some social positioning that is counter to our westernized mindset. I think it's horrendous what is happening in HK and some of those drone shots look like something from a dystopian future but short of actually going to war, there is not a lot leverage the outside world has to change the situation.

Now I'm going to try and think of more pleasant topics, like how hard it's going to be to stop KP if he's feeling it.
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 04:47 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(10-10-2019, 07:11 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I usually don't get political, but this is why I will always support the right to bare arms for all free men. 1.4 billion ruled by a handful of control freak losers and there is nothing they can do about it. I'm forever grateful that much braver men than I made my home the most free on the planet.

You can´t honestly believe that if the US government decided to deploy the full force of their military arsenal like stealth fighters, drones and tanks and decided to control you with physical force rather than monetary one, you´d be able to do a damn thing about it with your semi-automatic rifles and handguns. China is controlled by their government. The West is controlled by corporations.  All in the game yo.  Wink

Like I said earlier... I'm not debating this stuff on our Mavs board
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Let´s take it back to basketball. Genius move by Morey. Now that the Rockets are already millions and millions over the cap, he´s sabotaged the cap to be reduced by 15%, so nobody else can make signings either. Big Grin
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 07:39 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 01:30 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Regardless of what you think about Donald Trump, it is actually hilarious(ly sad) that the same people in the league who openly oppose him don't have the balls to call out China. Really puts things in to perspective.

(Two political posts in one night, I'm outa control)

Folks know about Trump. He's in our own backyard, and if you're on twitter, in your face. 

But folks have to read to know what's going on in China, although they've been brutal and oppressive to their own citizens since Mao (for about 70 years). Should we take folks in the U.S. to task for not openly opposing events in Kashmir, with the Kurds in Syria and Iraq, in Sudan, in Yemen, or in Myanmar? 

I'm not up on all the current human rights disasters worldwide. I just pulled up genocidewatch.com to type out that list. I mean maybe you're right, maybe we should all be talking about these things and openly opposing the oppressive regimes, but we typically don't.

Seems like they should study up considering Trump has had pretty much 0 effect on the NBA, but apparently China can throw a tantrum and potentially reduce the salary cap by 15%!

There is the issue though... All about dollar bills.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
Steve Kerr is new face of new NBA logo

[Image: EGi0ajgU4AMP8LC?format=jpg&name=medium]
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 09:49 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Let´s take it back to basketball. Genius move by Morey. Now that the Rockets are already millions and millions over the cap, he´s sabotaged the cap to be reduced by 15%, so nobody else can make signings either. Big Grin

Smart guy. He had to do something. He knows they will be irrelevant in a couple years.

(10-11-2019, 06:38 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 04:47 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: You can´t honestly believe that if the US government decided to deploy the full force of their military arsenal like stealth fighters, drones and tanks and decided to control you with physical force rather than monetary one, you´d be able to do a damn thing about it with your semi-automatic rifles and handguns. China is controlled by their government. The West is controlled by corporations.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=790b761157a581fa78fd32f7e4...=giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 09:49 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Let´s take it back to basketball. Genius move by Morey. Now that the Rockets are already millions and millions over the cap, he´s sabotaged the cap to be reduced by 15%, so nobody else can make signings either. Big Grin

And he likely screwed my teams ability to trade CP3 too.  That is going to be one expensive tweet when all is said and done.  But I applaud him for speaking thats what NBA wanted.  Also ironic to see folks like Steve Kerr squirm and flop like a fish out of water unable to comprehend how his prior statements were so toxic yet now he plays dumb.  He’s a hypocrite who was making political statements the past 2 years yet now won’t stand up for freedoms in HK against oppression.  Everyone who railed against POTUS yet now is supporting Commy China should never have another say in anything important ever again.  This one tweet highlighted their love of money and two faced prior rants as drivel.  They never believed in anything except to go with the flow and blast POTUS when it was convenient even skipping WH invites yet now they support Commy China.  Morey did some great work here by exposing these frauds
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 10:58 AM)ThunderMav Wrote:

And he likely screwed my teams ability to trade CP3 too.  That is going to be one expensive tweet when all is said and done.  But I applaud him for speaking thats what NBA wanted.  Also ironic to see folks like Steve Kerr squirm and flop like a fish out of water unable to comprehend how his prior statements were so toxic yet now he plays dumb.  He’s a hypocrite who was making political statements the past 2 years yet now won’t stand up for freedoms in HK against oppression.  Everyone who railed against POTUS yet now is supporting Commy China should never have another say in anything important ever again.  This one tweet highlighted their love of money and two faced prior rants as drivel.  They never believed in anything except to go with the flow and blast POTUS when it was convenient even skipping WH invites yet now they support Commy China.  Morey did some great work here by exposing these frauds

Love ya PP, but this is ridiculous. I'm not saying you're the only one saying this stuff, but...

Speaking about domestic politics: Giving a political opinion when asked is anyone's right, to speak or not speak, regardless of their job. It's silly for you and others to hate Kerr for having political thoughts that differ from your own. Disagreeing with Trump doesn't make someone toxic or the devil. And it would be silly of me to call you toxic because you agree with Trump. The thing that's toxic is this belief that the other side is the devil. I'm not on either side so I guess you and the anti-Trumpers can both call me the devil if you want. 

Speaking about China: It's actually refreshing for someone to say that they need to get educated on the topic. Would that we would all do that more!!! It's crazy. I can tell by your comments that you're not very educated about what's going on in China. It seems like you don't even know what the protesters want. I'm far from an expert. I've only read a couple of articles. I actually linked a good one here but no one commented on it. Most are probably just content to remain ignorant yet keep firing their hot sports opinions about the sound bites of other people. 

I've said this already in this thread, and I'll say it again. I think the Chinese government is brutal and oppressive, and it has been for about 8 decades. And I'd like for all of China to be ruled by a more reasonable government, not just for Hong Kong to retain their system. 

But that doesn't mean that everyone in the U.S. who refrains from comment is stupid. They may just prefer to actually know what they're talking about before speaking.
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 12:00 PM)fifteenth Wrote: But that doesn't mean that everyone in the U.S. who refrains from comment is stupid. They may just prefer to actually know what they're talking about before speaking.

So true.

I saw some celebrity post a picture from a photoshoot in Israel and she was getting blasted for not calling out Israel in regards to the whole Palestinian conflict.

She is just some girl who sings and does photoshoots yet she is supposed to know enough to take sides on such a complex issue. People can't be experts on everything. It's madness out there these days.
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 12:00 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 10:58 AM)ThunderMav Wrote:

Love ya PP, but this is ridiculous. I'm not saying you're the only one saying this stuff, but...

Speaking about domestic politics: Giving a political opinion when asked is anyone's right, to speak or not speak, regardless of their job. It's silly for you and others to hate Kerr for having political thoughts that differ from your own. Disagreeing with Trump doesn't make someone toxic or the devil. And it would be silly of me to call you toxic because you agree with Trump. The thing that's toxic is this belief that the other side is the devil. I'm not on either side so I guess you and the anti-Trumpers can both call me the devil if you want. 

Speaking about China: It's actually refreshing for someone to say that they need to get educated on the topic. Would that we would all do that more!!! It's crazy. I can tell by your comments that you're not very educated about what's going on in China. It seems like you don't even know what the protesters want. I'm far from an expert. I've only read a couple of articles. I actually linked a good one here but no one commented on it. Most are probably just content to remain ignorant yet keep firing their hot sports opinions about the sound bites of other people. 

I've said this already in this thread, and I'll say it again. I think the Chinese government is brutal and oppressive, and it has been for about 8 decades. And I'd like for all of China to be ruled by a more reasonable government, not just for Hong Kong to retain their system. 

But that doesn't mean that everyone in the U.S. who refrains from comment is stupid. They may just prefer to actually know what they're talking about before speaking.

Its ok that we disagree and I never hate anyone who disagrees with my opinion.  But people who are in positions like Kerr should refrain from it lest their words come back on them.  Maybe you didn’t see his latest remarks?  I don’t like that sports got into politics but they did so when it was convenient for them.  

Here is a great article about Kerrs latest remarks:

Steve Kerr Compares Genocidal Chinese Dictatorship To Americans Being Killed By Rifles

Golden State Warriors coach Steve Kerr made some absurd comments Thursday night about the Chinese dictatorship and gun violence in America.
The NBA and China have been in the news nonstop ever since the Houston Rockets GM tweeted support for pro-democracy protesters in Hong Kong. You’d think expressing support for democracy instead of communism would be a winning idea. However, the NBA has been dealing with the fallout ever since, and not everybody seems to be on the same page.
Kerr isn’t just not on the same page, but he seems to be under the impression that gun violence in America is comparable to agovernment that has killed tens of millions of people.
Kerr said the following when asked if he’d been asked about China’s horrific record on human rights:
Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.65098)]No. Nor has our record of human rights abuses come up either. You know, things that our country needs to look at and resolve. That hasn’t come up either. None of us are perfect, and we all have different issues that we have to get to. And, saying that is my right as an American. It doesn’t mean I hate my country. It means I want to address things, right? But, people in China didn’t ask me about, you know, people owning AR-15s and mowing each other down in a mall. I wasn’t asked that question. So, we can play this game all we want and go all over the map. There’s this issue and that issue. The world is a complex place and there’s more gray than black and white.[/color]
I want to be crystal clear here because I don’t want there to be any gray area at all. Kerr might be okay with the gray areas on this topic but I’m not. (SOURCE: ESPN Not Interested In Getting Involved In NBA/China Feud, Deadspin Memo Was ‘Misreported’)
Steve Kerr is a coward. Let me repeat that so there’s no confusion at all. Steve Kerr is a coward, and he’s the worst kind of coward.

Instead of just keeping his mouth shut, he chose to open it and prove to the world he’s a fool. The communist dictatorship is responsible for millions of deaths. Millions of people have been killed over the decades thanks to the policies and actions of the Chinese leadership. As we speak, they’re rounding up Muslims in camps and cracking down on protests in Hong Kong.

In 2017, a total of 403 people were killed in America by rifles, according to the FBI. Steve Kerr is trying to compare the deaths of millions at the hands of a brutal dictatorship to a few hundred deaths by rifles, as of the latest FBI data for 2017.

In what fantasyland are those two things even close to being the same? How much money is Steve Kerr making from the Chinese that he’ll throw his own country under the bus instead of shining a light on the atrocities of the dictatorship in China?
While I’ve always disagreed with Steve Kerr politically, I always thought he was a very smart guy. I no longer feel that way.

Anybody dumb enough to compare the deaths of a few hundred people, which is still incredibly tragic, to the massacre of millions is not a smart man. It’s that simple.

When given the opportunity to shine a light on the millions killed in China, Kerr dropped the ball and instead embarrassed himself.
Shame on Kerr and shame on everybody who has enabled this shameful situation. He’s a coward and the world should know it.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/11/steve...ce-ar-15s/
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 12:09 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 12:00 PM)fifteenth Wrote: But that doesn't mean that everyone in the U.S. who refrains from comment is stupid. They may just prefer to actually know what they're talking about before speaking.

So true.

I saw some celebrity post a picture from a photoshoot in Israel and she was getting blasted for not calling out Israel in regards to the whole Palestinian conflict.

She is just some girl who sings and does photoshoots yet she is supposed to know enough to take sides on such a complex issue. People can't be experts on everything. It's madness out there these days.

Yeah, talk about complicated! That's a conflict that's thousands of years old! And many of the folks raging about that issue do so because siding with the Palestinians has become part of the in vogue position some how. Before folks give me their opinion on that one I want them to give me a paper on the Ancient Near East, the great empires that traded taking Canaan and Israel for themselves, the people groups that lived in that area from the time of Assyria through the Ottoman Empire, the history of antisemitism, how all of these things played into the World Wars, a recounting of the 6 day war, a history of the goals of pro-Palestinian groups through the decades, a recounting of all violence done by both sides, a history of all past treaties and accords, and an essay on why a solution has not been reached.
Like Reply

So true.

That´s why they should refuse to voice an opinion unless they have educated themself on the topic. Social media (especially twitter) makes it easy for people to coment on a lot of topics. That´s not always a good thing.
I think fifteenth made a good point about the complexity of the mentioned topics. There is no black and white.
Like Reply
[Image: EGlDAowU4AEM1tO?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 12:31 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: Its ok that we disagree and I never hate anyone who disagrees with my opinion.  But people who are in positions like Kerr should refrain from it lest their words come back on them.  Maybe you didn’t see his latest remarks?  I don’t like that sports got into politics but they did so when it was convenient for them.  

Dude! Kerr did not "Compare Genocidal Chinese Dictatorship To Americans Being Killed By Rifles".  I just read Kerr's quote over and over again to try to understand the author's point. Kerr did not compare China's issues to ours. There is not way you can diagram those sentences and show me where he did that.

If you think that's a great article, then we're just a million miles away from seeing eye to eye on this. That  article and that website look like complete click bait garbage.

This quote is ridiculous: "You’d think expressing support for democracy instead of communism would be a winning idea."

The author has no idea what Steve Kerr thinks about democracy, communism, China's cultural revolution in the 80s, the killing of millions of folks because of religion, keeping Muslims in a concentration camp, or the standoff between China and protesters in Hong Kong, because Kerr didn't say anything about it! Why is Kerr or anyone else required to give someone with a microphone a dissertation on these topics? 

(10-11-2019, 12:37 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

So true.

That´s why they should refuse to voice an opinion unless they have educated themself on the topic. Social media (especially twitter) makes it easy for people to coment on a lot of topics. That´s not always a good thing.
I think fifteenth made a good point about the complexity of the mentioned topics. There is no black and white.

And even if the issue isn't complicated, why do we require folks to say anything at all when a microphone is put in their face? I don't get it.
Like Reply
(10-11-2019, 12:53 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 12:31 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: Its ok that we disagree and I never hate anyone who disagrees with my opinion.  But people who are in positions like Kerr should refrain from it lest their words come back on them.  Maybe you didn’t see his latest remarks?  I don’t like that sports got into politics but they did so when it was convenient for them.  

Dude! Kerr did not "Compare Genocidal Chinese Dictatorship To Americans Being Killed By Rifles".  I just read Kerr's quote over and over again to try to understand the author's point. Kerr did not compare China's issues to ours. There is not way you can diagram those sentences and show me where he did that.

If you think that's a great article, then we're just a million miles away from seeing eye to eye on this. That  article and that website look like complete click bait garbage.

This quote is ridiculous: "You’d think expressing support for democracy instead of communism would be a winning idea."

The author has no idea what Steve Kerr thinks about democracy, communism, China's cultural revolution in the 80s, the killing of millions of folks because of religion, keeping Muslims in a concentration camp, or the standoff between China and protesters in Hong Kong, because Kerr didn't say anything about it! Why is Kerr or anyone else required to give someone with a microphone a dissertation on these topics? 

A good example of why people need to be more discerning of the information they choose to believe. Articles or tv stories that paint one side as evil or this or that are designed to use the outrage they generate to cultivate bias and create more clicks and revenue. It is a cynical practice that only disseminates misinformation and creates division for the sake of profit. 

And, I know plenty of people who can both disagree with Trump yet still support freedom of speech and expression, recognizing the repressive regime in China and support Morey's right to tweet about it. These are not mutually exclusive. Individuals, like the truth, are more complicated and nuanced than that.

Now... (for me at least) its back to basketball!
Like Reply
Trump himself has not said anything against China when it comes to what is going on in HK.  Even when asked he smartly took the time to blast Kerr and Pops than offer his own thoughts on what's happening there.  If China is such a brutal, repressive regime let's cut off all ties with them. Let's cut off ties with Saudi Arabia. Let's cut off ties with Pakistan for all their support of terrorism. Let's cut off ties with India for their lock down of Kashmir currently.  

When we cut off everyone, let's also explain patiently to others why we have the moral high ground when it comes to drone bombings that have killed a lot of innocent civilians; let's explain how we have propped up dictatorial regimes in different parts of the world; let's explain why minorities here have a higher chance of getting longer prison sentences, a higher chance of getting pulled over by cops, and a higher chance of getting shot when pulled over. 

International politics has always been based on mutual needs and convenience.  Why expect coaches and players to be the flag bearers for change there? And again, flag bearers of what exactly when there can be criticism levied at the US too?
Like Reply
(10-12-2019, 08:00 PM)hakeemfan Wrote: Trump himself has not said anything against China when it comes to what is going on in HK.  Even when asked he smartly took the time to blast Kerr and Pops than offer his own thoughts on what's happening there.  If China is such a brutal, repressive regime let's cut off all ties with them. Let's cut off ties with Saudi Arabia. Let's cut off ties with Pakistan for all their support of terrorism. Let's cut off ties with India for their lock down of Kashmir currently.  

When we cut off everyone, let's also explain patiently to others why we have the moral high ground when it comes to drone bombings that have killed a lot of innocent civilians; let's explain how we have propped up dictatorial regimes in different parts of the world; let's explain why minorities here have a higher chance of getting longer prison sentences, a higher chance of getting pulled over by cops, and a higher chance of getting shot when pulled over. 

International politics has always been based on mutual needs and convenience.  Why expect coaches and players to be the flag bearers for change there? And again, flag bearers of what exactly when there can be criticism levied at the US too?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Kerr ABSOLUTELY did compare those and he knew what he was doing.  When asked if he'd been asked about China's human rights atrocities, he deflected and said he'd neither been asked about America's atrocities and brought up AR-15s and people shooting up shopping malls.

THAT IS ABSOLUTELY a comparison and he made it...don't deflect for that moron.

If you can compare 1,000,000 Uyghur people...ONE MILLION PEOPLE...in concentration camps and people put in indefinite imprisonment or just outright shot for horrible crimes like praying BY THE GOVERNMENT to some crazy shooting up a shopping mall, then you are a complete moron and you should never speak on political issues again. 

I have FRIENDS who are missionaries in China who have had to flee from the area, in the last year or so, where they were working with the Uyghur people.  They would talk about getting calls in the middle of the night and someone's dad was just drug out of his home in front of his kids, with his wife getting beaten by Government troops, with no charges...and that's normal. 

Let me tell you too...those people would kill for the accommodations that people are up in arms about at our border.  

The stories of what they are doing to the church in that country is pathetic.  My wife taught ESL in China at a university for a summer and it's ridiculous.  When I would call her, they'd listen in on the phone calls and open our mail.  There was a list of words that I couldn't say or she'd be in trouble.  

While I FULLY believe that we have a greater responsibility to speak up about our country, because we are citizens of this country.  Still, to clap back with a citizen shooting up a shopping mall and hold that card up next to the atrocities that are sanctioned and completely by the Chinese government...geesh, you should have your public talking privileges revoked indefinitely.

EOS.
Like Reply