Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
2023 DRAFT: Mavs take Lively, OMP, sign Mike Miles to 2-way, sign Jordan Walker
(06-05-2023, 12:55 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: I don't think most people see JJJ even at the extreme ceiling outcome. JJJ is 6'10/7'4ws and over 240lbs. Hendricks is not even close to that. Most comps are like current Jerami Grant. Maybe a decent ceiling comp is Jerami Grant mixed with some John Collins. Developing to current Jerami Grant really fast isn't bad though considering it took Jerami Grant himself many years to get to this point.

Difficult to find a better comparisation than JJJ. Collins had no 3-point range in college and was a way better finisher in the paint. Grant has never been a rim protector/shot blocker. A few posts mentioned a more athletic version of Kleber. Personally I think that´s the best one.
Like Reply
(06-05-2023, 01:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Difficult to find a better comparisation than JJJ. Collins had no 3-point range in college and was a way better finisher in the paint. Grant has never been a rim protector/shot blocker. A few posts mentioned a more athletic version of Kleber. Personally I think that´s the best one.

I was trying to go off of current NBA Grant/Collins as the ceiling with Collins being more of an offensive role comp. More athletic version of Kleber seems decent enough. Kleber is 240lbs too though. Is Hendricks gonna bulk up to 240? Idk about the JJJ comparison at all though. JJJ 3 blocks/g in 21 mins in college. Hendricks 1.7 blocks/g in 34.7mins. JJJ 5.5 blocks/40 mins,  Hendricks 2 blocks/40mins. If Hendricks can crack 1.5-2 blocks/g in the NBA from the 4 position then he's gonna be an elite supporting rim protector. Does he have the build to play 5? Maybe for the Mavericks and that's about it. Actually the best ceiling I can think of is Jarred Vanderbilt with a 3pt shot or maybe Jonathan Isaac with a better shot?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(06-05-2023, 01:25 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: I was trying to go off of current NBA Grant/Collins as the ceiling with Collins being more of an offensive role comp. More athletic version of Kleber seems decent enough. Kleber is 240lbs too though. Is Hendricks gonna bulk up to 240? Idk about the JJJ comparison at all though. JJJ 3 blocks/g in 21 mins in college. Hendricks 1.7 blocks/g in 34.7mins. JJJ 5.5 blocks/40 mins,  Hendricks 2 blocks/40mins. If Hendricks can crack 1.5-2 blocks/g in the NBA from the 4 position then he's gonna be an elite supporting rim protector. Does he have the build to play 5? Maybe for the Mavericks and that's about it. Actually the best ceiling I can think of is Jarred Vanderbilt with a 3pt shot or maybe Jonathan Isaac with a better shot?
Jonathan Isaac with a better shot is pretty much JJJ.
Like Reply
Rafael Barlowe in his latest Pod says Utah at #9 may have an interest in taking Coulibaly.  Common wisdom says they want a PG, but the thinking is there will be a PG still there at #16.  

That might push Black or Ausar Thompson back to 10.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(06-05-2023, 07:00 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Rafael Barlowe in his latest Pod says Utah at #9 may have an interest in taking Coulibaly.  Common wisdom says they want a PG, but the thinking is there will be a PG still there at #16.  

That might push Black or Ausar Thompson back to 10.

Thoughts on Ausar?

Probably nothing but he did work out for the Wizards yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BTRowland/status/166...5628681218
Like Reply
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtHoVcBu_...ODBiNWFlZA==
Like Reply
(06-05-2023, 08:16 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtHoVcBu_...ODBiNWFlZA==

Hmm....

Didn't Mr. Bilas attend Duke?

I guess I'm questioning his objectivity...
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-05-2023, 07:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Thoughts on Ausar?

Probably nothing but he did work out for the Wizards yesterday.

https://twitter.com/BTRowland/status/166...5628681218

I always felt that the Wizards were a likely landing spot for Wallace and that might determine whether one or two of Black, Hendricks and Walker fall to the Mavs. They need a (defensive-minded) PG next to Beal, but SF would also be an option. If they go with a big line-up of

Beal
Kuzma
Porzingis
Gafford

then I´d say Wallace is a natural pick. Schlenk might also have enough of midget PGs that can´t defend.  Big Grin Big Grin

Ausar Thompson might fall, if the Magic don´t take him at #6. Maybe Utah would consider him at #9, too.

I still say odds are heavily in Mavs favour that one of Black, Hendricks and Walker will be available at #10, especially since Ainge is not afraid to reach for his guy.
Like Reply
(06-05-2023, 10:55 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I always felt that the Wizards were a likely landing spot for Wallace and that might determine whether one or two of Black, Hendricks and Walker fall to the Mavs. They need a (defensive-minded) PG next to Beal, but SF would also be an option. If they go with a big line-up of

Beal
Kuzma
Porzingis
Gafford

then I´d say Wallace is a natural pick. Schlenk might also have enough of midget PGs that can´t defend.  Big Grin Big Grin

Ausar Thompson might fall, if the Magic don´t take him at #6. Maybe Utah would consider him at #9, too.

I still say odds are heavily in Mavs favour that one of Black, Hendricks and Walker will be available at #10, especially since Ainge is not afraid to reach for his guy.

Awwww, that's so cute that you think we aren't trading the pick (hopefully just down) for fool's good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-04-2023, 05:59 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: My favorite source for scouting videos is releasing his Coulibaly video at 11pm.

Spins had Hardy as a Top Six guy in last year's draft.  Thought everyone might want a little positivity to start their day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhkQ0-pS02k
Like Reply
(06-05-2023, 10:55 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I always felt that the Wizards were a likely landing spot for Wallace and that might determine whether one or two of Black, Hendricks and Walker fall to the Mavs. They need a (defensive-minded) PG next to Beal, but SF would also be an option. If they go with a big line-up of

Beal
Kuzma
Porzingis
Gafford

There was talk yesterday of Coulibaly going as high as nine.  

It makes sense for Orlando to either go Black or the lesser Thompson.  I think two of the PF's go to Detroit (probably Whitmore) and Indy.  So, the way I might put it (if Utah reaches and Wallace goes to Washington) is Dallas would have a shot at the lesser of Hendricks/Walker and the lesser of Thompson/Black.  Utah could use any of those guys, so if they don't reach then it is likely one of those four is left at #10.
Like Reply
(06-04-2023, 05:59 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: My favorite source for scouting videos is releasing his Coulibaly video at 11pm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTgTyA04dWg

Watching it, I am really worried about this one.
Looks like a guy with all athletic tools, but doesn't have a single reliable way to score in the next level. 
Not a fan of those tbh.
Like Reply
(06-06-2023, 08:27 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: Watching it, I am really worried about this one.
Looks like a guy with all athletic tools, but doesn't have a single reliable way to score in the next level. 
Not a fan of those tbh.
Yeah could easily be the next Frankie Smokes. That´s a pick you make, when you are loaded with picks and can afford a miss. As usual we cannot.
Like Reply
TE's available for teams we might trade down with:

OKC (12)     10,183,800   
ATL (15)        6,292,440   
UTH (16)       9,614,379
HOU (20)       Cap Space
BRK (21/22)  18,131,146

Brooklyn is the only team with a TE big enough to absorb Bertans, but they won't because they have tax issues of their own.  

Atlanta has even worse cap issues than Brooklyn, so isn't likely to use their TE

OKC could absorb and keep Reggie if they wanted.  

Everyone else could take on McGee, or Reggie's guarantee (rather than us using the S/W).  The best trade down candidates are Utah and OKC based on cap space still available after taking on salary.  If we employ this strategy, as some in the media have suggested, the trick is to do this as part of a larger trade.  That way it doesn't look like we gave up #10 for salary space under the apron(s).
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
This is a great moment to trade down to dump the contract of Bertans. After all everybody brings a present to your anniversary. And this is the 10th anniversary of trading down from Giannis to add 100k to reach Dwight Howard´s max salary. I hope they do an anime video, too.
Like Reply
If Dick or HENDRICKS is available at 10 I’d take one of them. If not, I’d trade down and unload Bertans or THJ
Like Reply
(06-07-2023, 08:10 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: This is a great moment to trade down to dump the contract of Bertans. After all everybody brings a present to your anniversary. And this is the 10th anniversary of trading down from Giannis to add 100k to reach Dwight Howard´s max salary. I hope they do an anime video, too.

I don't expect the fan base to get the difference, but this isn't Plan Powder (if it happens).  You can keep the pick and either not get more than a 10% trade spread and not get the MLE (maybe both) and probably have to S/W someone and impact your cap for years to come.  These restrictions are daunting.

Or, you can find a way to sell this as an asset play that made the such-and-such trade and/or the such-and-such signing legal when it wouldn't have been otherwise.  Just a few million makes a huge difference.
Like Reply
(06-07-2023, 08:26 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't expect the fan base to get the difference, but this isn't Plan Powder (if it happens).  You can keep the pick and either not get more than a 10% trade spread and not get the MLE (maybe both) and probably have to S/W someone and impact your cap for years to come.  These restrictions are daunting.

Or, you can find a way to sell this as an asset play that made the such-and-such trade and/or the such-and-such signing legal when it wouldn't have been otherwise.  Just a few million makes a huge difference.

Also makes a difference whether you draft the next Giannis or the next Shane Larkin. Tongue

Doesn´t make much of a difference whether you spend the MLE on the next Reggie Bullock, Delon Wright or Josh Richardson, when your team is in desperate need of more high end talent. When you have no assets the only way is the draft.

The only reason to trade down is that you are 100% convinced that your BPA will be available 4-5 spots later and you can extract extra value from a trade down. Doing it to gain some short-term financial flexibility is once again atrocious short-sighted decision-making.
Like Reply
(06-07-2023, 07:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: TE's available for teams we might trade down with:

OKC (12)     10,183,800   
ATL (15)        6,292,440   
UTH (16)       9,614,379
HOU (20)       Cap Space
BRK (21/22)  18,131,146

Brooklyn is the only team with a TE big enough to absorb Bertans, but they won't because they have tax issues of their own.  

Atlanta has even worse cap issues than Brooklyn, so isn't likely to use their TE

OKC could absorb and keep Reggie if they wanted.  

Everyone else could take on McGee, or Reggie's guarantee (rather than us using the S/W).  The best trade down candidates are Utah and OKC based on cap space still available after taking on salary.  If we employ this strategy, as some in the media have suggested, the trick is to do this as part of a larger trade.  That way it doesn't look like we gave up #10 for salary space under the apron(s).
This is where I’m at as well. Utah and OKC make sense. Utah especially. There’s the front office connection there. Both of those teams could be motivated to grab the player that falls to 10. And both could facilitate a 3 team deal

On top of that, i like the idea of trading down and staying in the top 16. Leonard Miller and Lively are 2 guys that could be there around then 

Any of OKC’s young players make sense to you? I feel like it would be more like 12 and a few 2nds coming back. Maybe Bullock into the TPE
Like Reply
(06-07-2023, 09:16 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: This is where I’m at as well. Utah and OKC make sense. Utah especially. There’s the front office connection there. Both of those teams could be motivated to grab the player that falls to 10. And both could facilitate a 3 team deal

On top of that, i like the idea of trading down and staying in the top 16. Leonard Miller and Lively are 2 guys that could be there around then 

Any of OKC’s young players make sense to you? I feel like it would be more like 12 and a few 2nds coming back. Maybe Bullock into the TPE

So you guys are advising Mark Cuban, the moron king, to facilitate trade downs with Sam Presti and Danny Ainge, two of the premium talent evaluators of the last two decades? I´d rather figure out why Presti or Ainge desperately want to trade up to #10. Who is the players they can´t wait for at #12 or #15. Then pick that guy.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply