Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(02-02-2023, 03:25 AM)omahen Wrote: I agree, building a champion is difficult. Playing basketball in NBA is also difficult. Some players are better some are worse. Same goes for front offices. Some are successful, some are not. Mavs are clearly not. It is not enough that they wish to build a contender. They have to actually execute. If we would look at it that way, every player could be excused for shooting 1-15 daily. He really wants to hit those shots, no one doubts. He is not missing them on purpose, no one doubts. But at the end it is about making them, not shooting them. 

100%. We could use the same logic and apply it to any given job. At some point results matter. Good intentions can only get you so far.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MFFL, omahen
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 03:25 AM)omahen Wrote: I respect Dameris, but I find it difficult to agree with the piece below. Fans have the right to express their feelings. Fans have the right to put pressure on their team. So nothing wrong about that. Reactions of Mavs FO, Luka and so on were also appropriate, although perhaps Cuban would be smarter to just ignore it. 

I agree, building a champion is difficult. Playing basketball in NBA is also difficult. Some players are better some are worse. Same goes for front offices. Some are successful, some are not. Mavs are clearly not. It is not enough that they wish to build a contender. They have to actually execute. If we would look at it that way, every player could be excused for shooting 1-15 daily. He really wants to hit those shots, no one doubts. He is not missing them on purpose, no one doubts. But at the end it is about making them, not shooting them. 

Chuck Cooperstein on Twitter: "Its something Mavs fans don't want to hear or read. But all need to. Excellent work here from @bdameris" / Twitter
The quote talks about getting Luka a star. I’m one that doesn’t even want that, how about start at just keeping the guys that work well next to him? After that, get more? Don’t care about getting a star, get Luka more talent on the roster and he’ll do the rest!
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 09:58 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The quote talks about getting Luka a star. I’m one that doesn’t even want that, how about start at just keeping the guys that work well next to him? After that, get more? Don’t care about getting a star, get Luka more talent on the roster and he’ll do the rest!

I agree.  I will gladly take a top 20 player to pair with Luka, but I hope that isn't the only plan.  Lets find some dawgs and tough guys who can play in important games.   Maybe 3rd best players on a team.   If you add two of those guys, this team is much better.   How would we look if we added a JET, Matrix and Chandler to this team?   All have warts but all were championship players.    Luka can bridge the gap if you find the right kind of players...even if they are really #3 type players.   They need to be the right type of players though.   

Another example, Bojan was traded for Kelly Olynyk this offseason.  Two years ago, Lauri was traded for a late first and Derrick Jones.  How about finding those type of deals over the next 12 months?
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, mvossman
Like Reply
In a perfect world, we would be sitting here with Luka and Jalen and talking about Dinwiddie trades.   Maybe Din and picks for OG or Siakam?   Add one of those to the roster and look out.

Luka
Jalen
Siakam
DFS
Wood

Green
Bullock
Maxi
Powell
Hardaway

Maybe not favorite but a team close.   The tax would be high but this team would have a fighters chance against almost everyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 09:58 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: The quote talks about getting Luka a star.

The quote does, but the mural the article is reffering didn't. It just said get Luka some help. It seems to me Mavs FO is always on the hunt for the star and never succeeding in doing it.
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 10:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree.  I will gladly take a top 20 player to pair with Luka, but I hope that isn't the only plan.  Lets find some dawgs and tough guys who can play in important games.   Maybe 3rd best players on a team.   If you add two of those guys, this team is much better.   How would we look if we added a JET, Matrix and Chandler to this team?   All have warts but all were championship players.    Luka can bridge the gap if you find the right kind of players...even if they are really #3 type players.   They need to be the right type of players though.   

Another example, Bojan was traded for Kelly Olynyk this offseason.  Two years ago, Lauri was traded for a late first and Derrick Jones.  How about finding those type of deals over the next 12 months?
Exactly, I myself didn’t want to pay Brunson his extension last offseason, but I myself am not paid to get that right. I don’t get to watch him day in and day out either. 

I also would argue that the Wood trade was one of those good deals. Add JB to this team (at his max extension) and we do look a ton better right now, no doubt in my mind we’d be sitting comfortably in HCA territory. If we still didn’t think JB was the right player, he’d have a ton of value in this current environment in trade. JB would be a great start to a package for Siakam AND FVV for instance.
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 10:09 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree.  I will gladly take a top 20 player to pair with Luka, but I hope that isn't the only plan.  Lets find some dawgs and tough guys who can play in important games.   Maybe 3rd best players on a team.   If you add two of those guys, this team is much better.   How would we look if we added a JET, Matrix and Chandler to this team?   All have warts but all were championship players.    Luka can bridge the gap if you find the right kind of players...even if they are really #3 type players.   They need to be the right type of players though.   

I have found myself coming more and more around to this line of thinking.  They don't need a star next to Luka, and their efforts to land them in either free agency or via trade (KP) have been disasters.  Luka really just needs quality 2 way starters next to him in order to contend.  Folks have posted that Iztok piece pointing out that their top 5 salary guys are all sub par defenders.  That needs to change.

As far as the trades you mention above, lets hope that the Wood trade turns out to be a good example.
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 10:42 AM)omahen Wrote: The quote does, but the mural the article is reffering didn't. It just said get Luka some help. It seems to me Mavs FO is always on the hunt for the star and never succeeding in doing it.
Therein lies the problem. The FO is perpetually looking for the star, many of the fans are pushing for that to happen still. Instead of all these years of looking for the grand slam had we been looking for singles and doubles, our team would be set up GREAT right now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/nbafan78/status/1621...44097?s=61&t=HxLvo6jaZvqjkcyeT4SC3Q

Great news on Maxi.
Like Reply
Haven’t seen anything about this. If I missed it, I apologize.

https://twitter.com/scammersultan/status/1621118779127402499?s=61&t=sHmGj4gDiB7CPdy6XKSiGQ
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...6133634048
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...7734479872
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 11:55 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Therein lies the problem. The FO is perpetually looking for the star, many of the fans are pushing for that to happen still. Instead of all these years of looking for the grand slam had we been looking for singles and doubles, our team would be set up GREAT right now.

They need to do BOTH. 

And for the record, not all if what they’ve done has been stupid. The stupid things they have done have been REALLY stupid, but Green and Hardy look like good picks to me. The DFS and Kleber extensions were both solid doubles. There are other positive developments.
Like Reply
(02-02-2023, 10:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Haven’t seen anything about this. If I missed it, I apologize.

Is this the one chance to remove Mark Cuban from the Mavs? If so PLEASEEEEEEEEE.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1621...mRqIAtAAAA
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...3559120898
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 07:33 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/KevinGraySports/stat...3559120898

Even the Nuggets aren't truly scary. I really hope Nico has some magic to work
The past several years has been the most wide open and subpar the top of the West has been in decades. Such a shame we couldn't take care of some business and at least get to the Finals once
Like Reply
Saturday night should be fun

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1621608329842774017
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 03:38 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Saturday night should be fun

https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1621608329842774017

It's official, Dinwiddie is being packaged for Kyrie.
[-] The following 4 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, mvossman, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-03-2023, 03:38 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Saturday night should be fun

click clank I'm a tank
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply