Poll: How would you grade this potential signing?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
11.11%
3 11.11%
B
25.93%
7 25.93%
C
37.04%
10 37.04%
D
11.11%
3 11.11%
F
0%
0 0%
L.O.L.
14.81%
4 14.81%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FA: Kemba Walker to DAL | his knee is "not good"
(11-29-2022, 11:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Thing is that Cuban most likely doesn´t want that. Otherwise you don´t hire an unexperienced GM and openly speak about all the stuff he still has to learn. If I had to guess Rosas was that kind of guy and he only lasted three month.

Interesting theory about Rosas. You might be spot on. 

And to return to your observations about RC. It seems like he has embraced making himself a GM before being a coach this year. I wish we could have seen that in Dallas, whether that was something RC needed to grow into or if Cuban was blocking that from happening by being short-sighted.
Like Reply
To me, the Nico hire from day one has been the World Wide Wes role. They needed a guy that was plugged in. Remember three summers ago, the Mavericks and Bobcats with Mitch Kupchak were the only two teams caught with their pants down while the rest of the league agreed to contracts during the moratorium. The way Nico has been treated from his introductory press conference to “he’s not there on player evaluation” has been borderline demeaning. He’s here to find out if Spencer Dinwiddie or Zach Lavine or Damian Lillard is disgruntled behind the scenes. I remember when SD hit the game winner in Brooklyn and ran over to dap him up. 

I think he provides very little input into team building.  He’s a way for Cuban to shield himself from team building criticism, just like Cynthia Marshall is here to shield him from bad behavior in the organization criticism.

He seems like a great dude that has worked hard to hold a prominent, well paying GM job so nothing against him. But I literally laugh when I see fans post “I trust in Nico.”
[-] The following 3 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 11:20 AM)Kammrath Wrote: That really isn't my position. I just think McGee, Sterling Brown, no Dragic, Facu, were Kidd driven (and think there is quite a bit of evidence to that). I speculate that Wood was Nico driven simply because of how Kidd has responded. But that is total speculation. You are 100% accurate that it COULD be that Kidd wanted Wood and then immediately changed his mind. 

I just think the overall evidence is that Nico is NOT imposing his will in anyway on the roster. It seems like Kidd and Cuban are more likely to be the real power at work. And I personally think Kidd has a TON. That has been my working theory since early in the season.

I'm not sure why you think Kidd has a "TON" of influence.  The guys he supposedly had input into are all small contracts.  By far the two biggest decisions made were letting Brunson walk and the Wood trade and there is no indication he had any significant input on either.
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 12:53 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm not sure why you think Kidd has a "TON" of influence.  The guys he supposedly had input into are all small contracts.  By far the two biggest decisions made were letting Brunson walk and the Wood trade and there is no indication he had any significant input on either.

That's a fair counterpoint...hadn't consider the connection of Kidd's influence and the size of the contracts. Interesting. Will have to give it more thought.
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 01:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: That's a fair counterpoint...hadn't consider the connection of Kidd's influence and the size of the contracts. Interesting. Will have to give it more thought.

I mean, when you think about it, doesn't it make total sense that Cuban is definitely involved north of a certain price point?

And when you think about it more, isn't the whole "you snag all the small/medium sized contracts you want, but you can't really plan longterm because I'll just swoop in and arbitrarily decide who's worth keeping when it's time to pay them and who isn't" the worst of all possible scenarios, regardless of who the strongest player evaluation voice is? 

I mean, I don't know, obviously, but I'd bet money that everyone in that building wanted Brunson back. That Cuban wouldn't offer as much or more as NY might or might not have made any difference, but I bet there are some grumblings about it, either way. Heck, that might be the beginning and end of some of the chemistry issues we've seen, honestly.

(11-29-2022, 11:42 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If I had to guess Rosas was that kind of guy and he only lasted three month.

Yeah, I remember thinking Rosas was an idiot for getting himself sideways here so quickly...back then. I think now he might've just looked around, observed what a madhouse the team is and found a way out as quickly as he could. If that's the case, kudos to him!
Like Reply
Any one know what jersey number was assigned to Kemba?
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 01:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean, when you think about it, doesn't it make total sense that Cuban is definitely involved north of a certain price point?

And when you think about it more, isn't the whole "you snag all the small/medium sized contracts you want, but you can't really plan longterm because I'll just swoop in and arbitrarily decide who's worth keeping when it's time to pay them and who isn't" the worst of all possible scenarios, regardless of who the strongest player evaluation voice is? 

I mean, I don't know, obviously, but I'd bet money that everyone in that building wanted Brunson back. That Cuban wouldn't offer as much or more as NY might or might not have made any difference, but I bet there are some grumblings about it, either way. Heck, that might be the beginning and end of some of the chemistry issues we've seen, honestly.

Good thoughts.
Like Reply
Not going to lie. Even though the Mavs are getting mocked mercilessly for this move seeing Kemba averaged over 11 points on over 36% from deep last season looks downright sexy compared to what we got out of Facu. It's an A on paper, watch him completely forget how to shoot once he's takes the court here though.
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 01:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I mean, when you think about it, doesn't it make total sense that Cuban is definitely involved north of a certain price point?

Yeah, I remember thinking Rosas was an idiot for getting himself sideways here so quickly...back then. I think now he might've just looked around, observed what a madhouse the team is and found a way out as quickly as he could. If that's the case, kudos to him!

So, Cuban has Nico on a short leash?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/15...8559090688
Like Reply
[Image: Fiw3REGWQAIfl18?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...0864370690
Like Reply
Like Reply
The GM discussion being had is interesting. When Kidd was acquired he saw the workings of the "Triangle of Trust", it was Mark, Donnie and RC. That triangle later turned out to be an octagon, but I think it was firmly a triangle before and shortly after the championship. 

Is that, kindof the position Nico, Kidd and Mark play to this day? Maybe Kidd asked for it to be that way when the job was discussed? Maybe that was the appeal with this job over any other one? 

The 3 listen to all their advisors (Dirk, Finley, scouts, etc.) opinions, bring all the info to a triangular table (specially made for this setup) and discuss what will be done. They bring all the trade talk to the same table and discuss parameters and then Nico and some of his underlings get to work on the phones. The tweet about Cuban stepping back this offseason might have either brought in another voice to the triangle (Finley), or it became the duo of trust.

That, to me, sounds like what is and was happening we first heard of it. Now, Nico seems timid, but if the 3 discussed the ideas and let Nico make the final decision, there could be an element of influencing his decisions from 2 more "alpha" guys at the table, so some things look like Kidd making the decision while other things look like Mark made the decision. All the final decisions are made by Nico, he just follows what path he thinks is best based on the discussion had.
Like Reply
Spancer replaced Brunson. But nobody replaced Spencer. Kemba is the new Spencer.
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 11:46 AM)michaeltex Wrote: One year, non guaranteed means KW is flip-able at the TDL, correct? Small salary, but one that is instantly disposable by the trade partner.

No. And no.

There is no angle to trade KW as part of a bigger deal so the other team can waive him. Part of the problem is that a non-guarantee deal doesn't count in the matching math at all.

But he can't be traded anyhow. The TDL is sooner than the 90 days you have to wait. And then, he will be a FA again.

This is a "tryout" or "make good" deal, exactly like Facu's. He's here day-to-day or week-to-week, staying only as long as they think he adds value. Until Jan 10, he can be waived with no further obligation, just pay for the part of the season he was here (at the league-subsidized minimum rate), which allows them to see if they like what they get. And, of course, it's the cheapest contract possible.

After Jan 10, his deal automatically would be guaranteed for the rest of the season, if he's still on the roster. So that's a bit of a deadline for him to show his worth (if he makes it that far, of course).
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(11-29-2022, 07:57 PM)F Gump Wrote: No. And no.

There is no angle to trade KW as part of a bigger deal so the other team can waive him. Part of the problem is that a non-guarantee deal doesn't count in the matching math at all.

But he can't be traded anyhow. The TDL is sooner than the 90 days you have to wait. And then, he will be a FA again.

This is a "tryout" or "make good" deal, exactly like Facu's. He's here day-to-day or week-to-week, staying only as long as they think he adds value. Until Jan 10, he can be waived with no further obligation, just pay for the part of the season he was here (at the league-subsidized minimum rate), which allows them to see if they like what they get. And, of course, it's the cheapest contract possible.

After Jan 10, his deal automatically would be guaranteed for the rest of the season, if he's still on the roster. So that's a bit of a deadline for him to show his worth (if he makes it that far, of course). worth by then,
Thanks for the clarification.

He is "dumpable" if a TDL deal arises where DAL has to take back an extra player in a 1-for-2 or 2-for-3 swap.

So, yeah, another tryout but with a high recognition name this time. But not an impediment to upgrading the roster. Although KW is probably an upgrade over Facu.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 11:00 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Thanks for the clarification.

He is "dumpable" if a TDL deal arises where DAL has to take back an extra player in a 1-for-2 or 2-for-3 swap.

So, yeah, another tryout but with a high recognition name this time. But not an impediment to upgrading the roster. Although KW is probably an upgrade over Facu.

I think at this point there's very little nuance to this deal. KW is just a guy, who used to be good and MIGHT be able to help, and who is out of favor far enough that he's willing to sign a deal with minimal financial commitment.

The fact that he is willing to sign so cheaply tells us about his demand. Be wary of expecting much. While he had the right game for it at one time, not sure he has enough left to offer what they need so badly. We'll see.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Dahlsim, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 11:52 AM)F Gump Wrote: I think at this point there's very little nuance to this deal. KW is just a guy, who used to be good and MIGHT be able to help, and who is out of favor far enough that he's willing to sign a deal with minimal financial commitment.

The fact that he is willing to sign so cheaply tells us about his demand. Be wary of expecting much. While he had the right game for it at one time, not sure he has enough left to offer what they need so badly. We'll see.

I think "MIGHT be able to help" is a massive undersell.  Pop on a replay of last nights game and watch Josh Green try to advance the ball past midcourt after the Din ejection.  He gets stripped twice and turns the ball over once.  That isn't going to happen to Kemba.
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 11:52 AM)F Gump Wrote: I think at this point there's very little nuance to this deal. KW is just a guy, who used to be good and MIGHT be able to help, and who is out of favor far enough that he's willing to sign a deal with minimal financial commitment.

All agreed, except maybe this point: 
Quote: KW is just a guy,

At only 32 the mileage on his body overall is still modest.  I said overall because its all about his knees, evidently the left knee in particular.  How is his knee really?  If his knee is good for stretches, can the the Mavs and their medical staff manage his minutes and wear to get high quality "all star" stretches of play behind Luka & Spencer? 

Facu was just a guy, maybe not even a guy so that move never made sense to me other than being a friend of Luka. Facu is a small guard non-shooter.  Kemba a multi time NBA all star and basketball offensive savant is a shooter and definitely more than a guy.  He isn't so far from his prime to be washed up on age.  Is he healthy enough, long enough to fill the missing guard role? 

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2020/12...e-what-is/ 

Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]“It was the best way to go. It definitely calmed my knee down to tell you the truth. I’m feeling really good right now, so like I said, I’m just taking my time, and trying to continue to feel good, and get stronger.”[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]Walker’s remarks echo that of former NBA players like Tracy McGrady who have received the treatment, claiming it eliminates pain in the affected joint and breathes new life into their careers.[/color]

If Walker's knee treatment has more of a Kobe effect on his game, with his credentials and talent I would say its still potentially a great move for Dallas. They have Luka and Dinwiddie in front and young guys they are developing behind him.  Its going to take smart coaching and health good fortune but a guy that can put up all star stretches and explode in key games is more than a guy

Its the same question they had about KW in Boston: 
Quote:[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]The results for players who have had the treatment range from favorable in the case of Bryant, helpful in McGrady’s situation, to a small boost for several careers that would have probably otherwise ended.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]Walker’s situation is likely closer to Bryant’s than the other examples above, given he was still playing at a high level even when his knee was bothering him.[/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.72)]While it’s impossible to say what his outlook will be without the expertise and information his doctors are working with, it seems plausible for the Bronx native to return to something closer to his best self should all go well with the treatment if past examples can help us understand his situation.[/color]
Like Reply