Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 9: BRK (4-7) @ DAL (6-3) | 96-94 win
(11-08-2022, 12:21 AM)cow Wrote: Dorian needs to stop passing the rock, he's been doing that shit all season.  He did hit a three and a bunch of crucial free throws.
Angel Prince hate detected!
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 12:27 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Angel Prince hate detected!

I'm honest despite my love.  Dorian really looks unsure of himself to start the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 12:19 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka is carrying too much of a load for the whole game and is exhausted by the end of the games AND there is ZERO offensive threat outside of Luka on the court to end the games, due to the decision of the Kidd.

Agreed. Luka went back in 3 mins early in the 4th qtr. Dinwiddie sucked so bad tonight. He's lucky Green showed up.
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 12:25 AM)cow Wrote: He also put KD on the line to tie the game.  Definitely an up and down final few minutes for him.

Not to take the heat off of DFS there, but it was pretty obviously Kidd’s strategy to foul again once KD got the ball. Just did it too late, and that’s why I have always hated that strategy.
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 12:42 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Not to take the heat off of DFS there, but it was pretty obviously Kidd’s strategy to foul again once KD got the ball. Just did it too late, and that’s why I have always hated that strategy.

It's the whole season in a nutshell though.  Something I've noticed a lot, is even with the ball moving, a lot of our guys aren't pulling the trigger on offense.  The chemistry of the team just feels off which I guess makes sense with JB out and the new additions.  Giving Powell minutes has really righted the ship and is the reason we aren't a .500 team anymore which is something I didn't think I'd ever say.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 12:42 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Kidd’s strategy

Yep, that failure falls first and foremost on the coach. They almost LOST the game instead of having a "worst case scenario" of going to OT at home.
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 12:45 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Yep, that failure falls first and foremost on the coach. They almost LOST the game instead of having a "worst case scenario" of going to OT at home.

Think he'll teach the team how to box out for an intentionally missed free throw tomorrow?
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 12:44 AM)cow Wrote: It's the whole season in a nutshell though.  Something I've noticed a lot, is even with the ball moving, a lot of our guys aren't pulling the trigger on offense.  The chemistry of the team just feels off which I guess makes sense with JB out and the new additions.  Giving Powell minutes has really righted the ship and is the reason we aren't a .500 team anymore which is something I didn't think I'd ever say.

Continuity really helps!

To be fair, they look a ton better than they did during the first couple of months last season. They might figure some things out soon.
Like Reply
I think Dinwiddie’s last post game presser caught up with him tonight. He may not get a call again until after the all star break!
[-] The following 2 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • F Gump, The Jom
Like Reply
(11-07-2022, 08:21 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: Kidd makes no sense.  Apparently McGee is a better matchup against Brooklyn.  Who's their starting center?

So what's the over/under for McGee in terms of +/-?

I say McGee is at least a -10 tonight

McGee with a terrific line today:

3 minutes: 0 points 0 rebounds 0 steals 0 blocks 1 turnover (-4)

Great day at the office for McGee.  I believe he would have gotten a -10 if Kidd had started him in the 2nd half.  So Kidd thought McGee should start because of the matchup with Claxton?  Alrighty then
Like Reply
Bad game to watch. A lot of stupid mistakes. Horrible officiating - what was with 70 offensive fouls on both sides???
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 01:06 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I think Dinwiddie’s last post game presser caught up with him tonight. He may not get a call again until after the all star break!

I was wondering the same thing. Refs can get away with making your life miserable by how they call fouls, if they feel like it.
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 01:06 AM)Mavs03 Wrote: So Kidd thought McGee should start because of the matchup with Claxton? 

I think so. That's why McGee was signed, to have a player to stifle players like Claxton. Unfortunately, if that designated player turns out to be not good enough, you're screwed.

Frankly, like him or not, McGee is way better than he's showing. Frustrating.
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 01:06 AM)Mavs03 Wrote: McGee

I genuinely think Luka does not like playing with McGee because of his inane mistakes. Something Kidd did not expect. This is forcing Kidd's hand because there have been MULTIPLE times I see Luka look to the bench after McGee singlehandedly gives up an 8 point swing. 

I think McGee has value, I just don't think he's the right fit for Luka. I'd look to ship him off to a team with big man help like BRK funnily enough.

I wonder if a team like BRK is desperate enough to do a Cam Thomas for McGee swap 1 for 1.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
entertaining win.  Almost an excruciating lose.

My 2 thoughts waking up this morning:

1) This team needs to work way to hard to win a game.   Maybe I have only just watched the Mavs mostly and other teams have dropped games they should have won, but I just feel like the Mavs don't have many ways to win games.  They need Luka to be Luka and everyone else to play 110 MPH out there.   And they have to hope one other player steps up on offense.

2) The new front office had results last year (WCF), but as I look at this roster I wonder how many guys do I consider core guys who are still a part of that core in 3 years?   DFS probably.   Not sure after that.  Maybe Green, but that is making a big leap after his strong play.    It is a big concern for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
Seth Curry looked bad last night.   I think it is important to remember that most shooters are rhythm players.   When they are not in rhythm their game can look ugly.   Joe Harris, Bullock and Hardaway are also examples.    They made mention how Joe Harris has been out for a lot of last year and sometimes it takes time.   I think that is important to remember.

At one of the breaks (maybe halftime) they were showing KD highlights throughout his career crossing people up.  What a special talent.   Just terrible for Brooklyn that they have not built a good team around him (I guess KD deserves some blame as well).   Brooklyn played hard, but there is not much there at the moment.   I guess in theory Simmons and O'neal are your wing defenders.   O'neal, Harris, Curry are your open shooters.   And KD and Irving score and create baskets.   I do wonder if they break the team up or look for a win now move with a guy like Myles Turner.   I still think with a healthy KD you have a chance....but things obviously have to change there fast.
Like Reply
Very interesting who closed the game last night.  Not Reggie and not Dinwiddie.  Instead Powell and Green joined regulars in the closing lineup...Luka, DFS and Maxi.  If Green can consistently close, it feels like Kidd has three mainstays in Luka, DFS and Maxi and can mix and match the next six player in the nine man rotation however he pleases.  It is probably nice to be that deep.  It is also a bit disconcerting that no one is clearly ahead of the rest of the pack for those last two spots.

Green surpassed Reggie in minutes for the first time.  Makes sense.  Bullock was -18 (and -38 On-minus-Off).  Green was +11 (and +20 On-minus-Off).  One game wonder?  Or, culmination of a trend that has seen Green's minutes bumped up five games in a row (from 13 to 15 to 17 to 19 to 20 to 27).  He won't continue to have a TS% in the 900's (though his .578 last year wasn't bad at all).  Even something in the low 600's combined with the way he changes the game defensively should be enough to keep him in the 24 minute range consistently.  It will be interesting to see what happens if Hardaway misses any time.  Right now, everything Green does offensively is gravy.  Without THJ, what Green did last night becomes more of a requirement.  His little mini burst in the second quarter is kind of expected by now.  But his open lane drive and especially the long three from the top of the key in the mid-fourth showed a mental toughness that is very encouraging.

I'm putting the 6-0 run Brooklyn had (back to back 3's) toward the end on Luka.  He was bitching about calls both times and the D wasn't set.  It was especially maddening on the in-bounds play where there was plenty of time to set the D.  A nice lead evaporated in a flash.  

Got to hand it to Maxi.  He really brought it on the defensive end last night.  Broken record I know, but here is how the big combo's worked last night:

-4   McGee/Solo Big
-11 Wood/Solo Big
-1   Powell/Solo Big
+1  Maxi/Solo Big
+9  Maxi/Wood
+8  Maxi/Powell
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, dirkfansince1998, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 08:20 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: who closed the game

The goal by the end of the year for Kidd should be closing lineups of..... 

Luka/JG/???/???/Wood.

I think usually Maxi and DFS would be in there, but depending on matchups it could be SD or RB or THJ as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 08:20 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It is probably nice to be that deep.  It is also a bit disconcerting that no one is clearly ahead of the rest of the pack for those last two spots.

I guess that is the glass half full/empty question. Deep roster or simply lacking top end talent?
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(11-08-2022, 08:20 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:  
Green surpassed Reggie in minutes for the first time.  Makes sense.  Bullock was -18 (and -38 On-minus-Off).  Green was +11 (and +20 On-minus-Off).  One game wonder?  Or, culmination of a trend that has seen Green's minutes bumped up five games in a row (from 13 to 15 to 17 to 19 to 20 to 27).  He won't continue to have a TS% in the 900's (though his .578 last year wasn't bad at all).  Even something in the low 600's combined with the way he changes the game defensively should be enough to keep him in the 24 minute range consistently.  It will be interesting to see what happens if Hardaway misses any time.  Right now, everything Green does offensively is gravy.  Without THJ, what Green did last night becomes more of a requirement.  His little mini burst in the second quarter is kind of expected by now.  But his open lane drive and especially the long three from the top of the key in the mid-fourth showed a mental toughness that is very encouraging.

Something that didn't occur to me until I heard it on Locked-On just now.  Josh was setting the picks in the fourth bringing his man to Luka knowing Luka either gets the double or the smaller player.  It sets Green up to be the relief valve if the double comes.  It puts a great deal of trust in his hands in a tight game in the fourth.  Very encouraging.  What is happening with Green is more than just energy and hitting open 3's.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath, mvossman, Paul Gasol, WillE
Like Reply