Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka 23-24 Scoring Champ! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(08-07-2022, 08:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: If we are looking for an alternative to McGee with the tax MLE, I would have leaned towards Rubio.  That is somebody that might get close to 75% of Brunson production if healthy.  A Wood, Rubio, Whiteside offseason would have gotten a B from me, even after they flubbed the Brunson situation.

I have been hoping to see Rubio in a Mavs uniform for like 4 years. Would’ve loved that.
Like Reply
Here's where I stand:

-Annoyed as hell by losing Brunson for nothing

-Set at Center even if we move Powell

-Need another ball handler

-Would like a bigger wing but we can probably get by without one of DFS stays healthy

-Apparently higher on Wood, THJ, Maxi, Bertans than the rest of the board
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 3 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • ballsrchr, mvossman, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 09:15 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Here's where I stand:

-Annoyed as hell by losing Brunson for nothing

-Set at Center even if we move Powell

-Need another ball handler

-Would like a bigger wing but we can probably get by without one of DFS stays healthy

-Apparently higher on Wood, THJ, Maxi, Bertans than the rest of the board

I'm with you except its hard to see where Bertans is going to get minutes.  All of the 4 minutes are going to be used up by Dorian or the Maxi/Wood combo.  I don't see him getting any kind of regular minutes unless someone gets injured.
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 10:19 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm with you except its hard to see where Bertans is going to get minutes.  All of the 4 minutes are going to be used up by Dorian or the Maxi/Wood combo.  I don't see him getting any kind of regular minutes unless someone gets injured.

Obviously I'm not the coach, but I'd be playing DFS a lot more at 3, no minutes for Dwight or traded, McGee would be low minute situational at least during regular season. I'm obviously not a fan of his contract, but we know this man can shoot the lights out and space the floor. You should be able to play him at least 10 minutes in the playoffs vs the other teams second unit and he might mess around and drop 5 3s and win you a game.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 07:52 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't see any way we are going to acquire somebody at this point that could get near 75% of Jalen's production.  Dragic would not have done that.  We would have to send out picks or a top 8 player to get there.  

My offseason grade is a D.  I would have gone up to C if they had signed Dragic, and if they manage to pull off Powell for Beverly swap it might be even a little higher, but I don't think he provides 75% of what we got from Brunson.  I'm fairly sure the only player we are going to add to the roster this offseason that can give you that is Wood.

I mentioned 75% of Jalen's production entering last year.   I have been long on the mountain that Jalen and Luka would play well together and Jalen should be starting.  But I don't think that opinion was in the majority.   My statement also weighs heavily on Spencer lifting up his #'s with increased opportunities.   But I think it is fair to say can you find 75% of Jalen's production the team was predicting entering last year when he was slated to come off the bench.   Now at this time in the offseason, that may be difficult.  But it is what will be a factor in my offseason grade when the offseason is finished.

(08-07-2022, 11:06 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Obviously I'm not the coach, but I'd be playing DFS a lot more at 3, no minutes for Dwight or traded, McGee would be low minute situational at least during regular season. I'm obviously not a fan of his contract, but we know this man can shoot the lights out and space the floor. You should be able to play him at least 10 minutes in the playoffs vs the other teams second unit and he might mess around and drop 5 3s and win you a game.

While the Mavs may lack a second star they are filled with capable players.  I have no idea where Bertans gets his minutes, but it would be nice if he is just not a 17 million multi year contract gathering dust on the bench.  It is just really tight for minutes though.   

There will be injuries though and that will give opportunities to fringe rotation guys.  There will be chances to win and earn playing time.   Someone, not sure who, will take advantage of it.
Like Reply
With the open roster slot, I think a couple of possibilities are in play...

DAL, like most other teams, are waiting to see if there is a big Westbrook/Mitchell/Durant mega-deal, with the hopes that (even if they are not a primary participant) there will be opportunities for improvement from the fallout. If the deal doesn't materialize, then just go into the season with the open spot (possibly filled with a waivable minimum player).

If this happens, then we need to watch the early season returns for a play-in level team that is not functioning well and decides to get into the Victor Wembanyama sweepstakes early. Or has an injury that makes an expiring Powell even more attractive. Unless somebody craters early, I'd start looking for trade action just after the Christmas holidays.

Right now it's just mid-offseason doldrums. Baseball is mind numbingly boring and the biggest news is whether some multi-millionaire golfers are going to approach billionaire-hood by switching to a Saudi-backed golf league. I find myself looking forward to seeing some EuroBasket, even the friendly games.
Like Reply
(08-07-2022, 10:19 PM)mvossman Wrote: I'm with you except its hard to see where Bertans is going to get minutes.

I agree with you on the minutes crunch, and also don't see minutes available for Bertans.

That being said, I think he is likely to get way more minutes regularly than we can see right now. He is talented enough to be a significant contributor, AND they would want to boost his perceived value in case there's a trade to be had. They need another desirable trade chip.

Besides, he can really be a plus when he plays, and I think Kidd gravitates towards that sort -- he's a sniper from distance who opens the floor for Luka, he's big, he's a good rebounder, and he was better than advertised on defense.
Like Reply
(08-08-2022, 09:17 AM)michaeltex Wrote: With the open roster slot, I think a couple of possibilities are in play...

DAL, like most other teams, are waiting to see if there is a big Westbrook/Mitchell/Durant mega-deal, with the hopes that (even if they are not a primary participant) there will be opportunities for improvement from the fallout. If the deal doesn't materialize, then just go into the season with the open spot (possibly filled with a waivable minimum player).

If this happens, then we need to watch the early season returns for a play-in level team that is not functioning well and decides to get into the Victor Wembanyama sweepstakes early. Or has an injury that makes an expiring Powell even more attractive. Unless somebody craters early, I'd start looking for trade action just after the Christmas holidays.

Right now it's just mid-offseason doldrums. Baseball is mind numbingly boring and the biggest news is whether some multi-millionaire golfers are going to approach billionaire-hood by switching to a Saudi-backed golf league. I find myself looking forward to seeing some EuroBasket, even the friendly games.

Not all that bad. The NFL will be starting up in a couple of weeks.
Like Reply
(08-08-2022, 01:12 PM)F Gump Wrote: I agree with you on the minutes crunch, and also don't see minutes available for Bertans.

That being said, I think he is likely to get way more minutes regularly than we can see right now. He is talented enough to be a significant contributor, AND they would want to boost his perceived value in case there's a trade to be had. They need another desirable trade chip.

Besides, he can really be a plus when he plays, and I think Kidd gravitates towards that sort -- he's a sniper from distance who opens the floor for Luka, he's big, he's a good rebounder, and he was better than advertised on defense.

Nice thing about Bertans is you kinda know if he is hot right away.  If he misses two or three, you can pull him within 30 seconds.  Smile
Like Reply
(08-08-2022, 04:10 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Not all that bad. The NFL will be starting up in a couple of weeks.

And Dallas is blessed with another well run and drama free franchise...
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(08-08-2022, 04:10 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Not all that bad. The NFL will be starting up in a couple of weeks.

That means all of use Cowboy fans are waiting to see what kind of mess Jerry rolls out and claims this group is a contender.

Old enough to remember all those seasons under Landry where the path to the Super Bowl ran through Dallas. Down a few years, then the sale and the Jimmy/Troy/Emmit era. Then Jerry's ego got too big, Jimmy said F you and it has been mediocrity for as far as the eye can see.
Like Reply
(08-09-2022, 11:48 AM)michaeltex Wrote: That means all of use Cowboy fans are waiting to see what kind of mess Jerry rolls out and claims this group is a contender.

Old enough to remember all those seasons under Landry where the path to the Super Bowl ran through Dallas. Down a few years, then the sale and the Jimmy/Troy/Emmit era. Then Jerry's ego got too big, Jimmy said F you and it has been mediocrity for as far as the eye can see.
At least Jerry got 3 championships before retiring the team. Cuban only wanted 1.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(08-09-2022, 11:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: At least Jerry got 3 championships before retiring the team. Cuban only wanted 1.

Jerry would have had to fire Jimmy sooner to only get 1.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...0734561282
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3437...iors-bucks

So, ESPN thinks the Mavs will go backwards by 3.5 wins compared to last season.

Is that reasonable?

They sure came out of the gate slowly last year.  But after lots of missed games, and the KP trade, posted a pretty stellar second half.

Was that an outlier?  Or should we project a continuation of their second half through an entire season?

Yes, Brunson's gone. But we've upgraded with Wood, McGee, and the return of THJ.  Is that a wash?

Or is ESPN's projection based solely on improved competition in the West?

I think I'll take the over.
Like Reply
(08-10-2022, 08:42 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3437...iors-bucks

So, ESPN thinks the Mavs will go backwards by 3.5 wins compared to last season.

Is that reasonable?

They sure came out of the gate slowly last year.  But after lots of missed games, and the KP trade, posted a pretty stellar second half.

Was that an outlier?  Or should we project a continuation of their second half through an entire season?

Yes, Brunson's gone. But we've upgraded with Wood, McGee, and the return of THJ.  Is that a wash?

Or is ESPN's projection based solely on improved competition in the West?

I think I'll take the over.

LOL, I'll solidly take the under, unless the Mavs do something mind-blowing to replace Brunson.

The absolute key to last year was the three-playmaker construction after the trade for Dinwiddie. Now we have two. If that isn't addressed, of fricking course the Mavs are going backwards, and it's rather a gaslight to assert otherwise.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Mapka
Like Reply
My regular season rankings:

Tier I 

1. Golden State Warriors - Adding Klay for the whole season should put them as #1 seed even with the role players losses.
2. Denver Nuggets- Great core for Jokic to play around, no more excuses.
3. Phoenix Suns - Still a good regular season team. Teams will start to target Paul a lot more. 
4. Minnesota Timberwolves Could be a juggernaut if everything works out. 
5. LA Clippers - Title favorites that will lose a lot of games lost due to health management.

Tier II 

6. Dallas Mavericks - Expecting the same problems to haunt DAL with Luka Hero-ball, Wood is a wildcard.
7. Los Angeles Lakers - Sneaky candidate to surprise, since everyone is counting them out.
8. Portland Trail Blazers - Lillard can win some games by his own and his core isn't that bad (comparable to DAL).
9. Memphis Grizzlies - Not having JJJ to start and adding a bunch of rookies will hold them back.
10. New Orleans Pelicans - Zion health still a concearn, young fellas would have to develop nicely for them to move up.
11. Sacramento Kings - Even with an improved roster, it's hard to put them ahead of any team in front.

Tier III 

12. Utah Jazz - Still can compete with Donovan and role players, but will tank and move down when they trade him.
13. Oklahoma City Thunder - SGA will put them a little ahead of the other tanking teams.
14. Houston Rockets - Could develop their rookies into a decent starting unit for next season.
15. San Antonio Spurs - Tank for Wembanyama.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
[-] The following 3 users Like HAguiar95's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft, Magickian
Like Reply
(08-10-2022, 09:49 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: My regular season rankings:

Tier I 

1. Golden State Warriors - Adding Klay for the whole season should put them as #1 seed even with the role players losses.
3. Phoenix Suns - Still a good regular season team. Teams will start to target Paul a lot more. 
5. LA Clippers - Title favorites that will lose a lot of games lost due to health management.

Tier II 

6. Dallas Mavericks - Expecting the same problems to haunt DAL with Luka Hero-ball, Wood is a wildcard.
7. Los Angeles Lakers - Sneaky candidate to surprise, since everyone is counting them out.
8. Portland Trail Blazers - Lillard can win some games by his own and his core isn't that bad (comparable to DAL).
9. Memphis Grizzlies - Not having JJJ to start and adding a bunch of rookies will hold them back.
10. New Orleans Pelicans - Zion health still a concearn, young fellas would have to develop nicely for them to move up.
11. Sacramento Kings - Even with an improved roster, it's hard to put them ahead of any team in front.

Tier III 

12. Utah Jazz - Still can compete with Donovan and role players, but will tank and move down when they trade him.
13. Oklahoma City Thunder - SGA will put them a little ahead of the other tanking teams.
14. Houston Rockets - Could develop their rookies into a decent starting unit for next season.

I'll swap Wolves and Grizzlies. The rest ist quite reasonable.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mapka's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft, Magickian
Like Reply
(08-10-2022, 09:49 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: My regular season rankings:

Tier I 

IMO, GSW is overrated despite winning the Larry O. Lost a lot of depth, health issues are lurking and Draymon is pissed if he doesn't get his max extension.
Good position, maybe even #1 if everybody comes back healthy and motivated
They have missed their window. DAL showed their vulnerabilities. Lost some depth. and CP3 was looking old when we last saw him.
Big question is whether KAT and Gobert can coexist effectively. Would not have rated this high myself. 2nd tier until they prove it.
Health is always a concern. Will Kawahi come back effectively (again). Still a strong candidate once the playoffs start.

Tier II 

Luka's conditioning in early season needed for quick start. Wood has some big expectations attached.
If WB is still on team come January 1st, then LALs are lottery bait again. ( Oh wait, they don't have any picks)
IMO, this team will either bet surprisingly good or really bad. If the latter, it's fire sale time.
A lot of these guys are young enough to expect to compete on talent alone. Now that they are more known, wins may come harder.
I'm not a big Zion fan, I don't think he cares enough (yet) but this could be the Cinderella team of this season.
Maybe more tier III than tier II.

Tier III 

Ainge gets a low expectation, freebie season to wheel and deal.

Nice parsing of expectations for next season. Thanks for sharing with everyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Magickian
Like Reply
Kings looked great on paper last year too.
Like Reply