Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...9799686144
Like Reply
From Marc Stein in conversation with Fred Katz....

Quote:Fred's contention that the Knicks remain such heavy favorites to ultimately land Mitchell because even their second-, third- or fourth-best offers are likely to beat out the competition.

The pressure on the Knicks' front office to get this done given the mandate president of basketball operations Leon Rose faces to acquire a true All-Star.

My contention that the trade won't be held up by haggling over the likes of Quentin Grimes or Obi Toppin if the sides can ultimately come to an agreement on draft compensation.
Like Reply
(07-30-2022, 02:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: From Marc Stein in conversation with Fred Katz....

My contention that the trade won't be held up by haggling over the likes of Quentin Grimes or Obi Toppin if the sides can ultimately come to an agreement on draft compensation.

Comments like this make me hopeful that my favorite "Big Mavs Move Ahead" really might be looming.

The Mitchell-to-NY deal happens, and as a part of it, Dallas swaps THJ (to DET) for Burks/Rose. DET's cost for THJ is "Burks + 2RP" but that pick goes to NY to compensate for Rose, but NY sends it to UT as part of the Mitchell compensation. All those pieces satisfy the NBA's touch rule for 3-or-more team trades.

NY's outgoing for Mitchell becomes ..
Rose to Dallas
Toppin, Quickley, Grimes to UT
Picks

Net for UT for Mitchell: 3 young prospects, a pile of picks, a massive $20M salary reduction, and an even bigger TPE (probably 30M).
Like Reply
Knicks get: Mitchell, cap neutral 

Mavs get: Bojan, cap neutral 

Lakers get: Conley, Fournier and Bertans, adds $10 million to cap

Jazz get: Westbrook, Toppin, Reddish, Josh Green, 3 Knicks FRP’s(including Mavs 23 now unprotected) , 2 Mavs SRP’s, 2 Lakers SRP’s, Lakers FRP pick swap, $10 million cap savings 

Knicks and Mavs give up assets to get the 2 best players in the deal

Lakers get off the Westbrook deal and get 3 usable players in a similar way to the KP deal while also giving up minimal assets 

Jazz get a haul
Like Reply
(07-31-2022, 08:22 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Knicks get: Mitchell, cap neutral 

Mavs get: Bojan, cap neutral 

Lakers get: Conley, Fournier and Bertans, adds $10 million to cap

Jazz get: Westbrook, Toppin, Reddish, Josh Green, 3 Knicks FRP’s(including Mavs 23 now unprotected) , 2 Mavs SRP’s, 2 Lakers SRP’s, Lakers FRP pick swap, $10 million cap savings 

Knicks and Mavs give up assets to get the 2 best players in the deal

Lakers get off the Westbrook deal and get 3 usable players in a similar way to the KP deal while also giving up minimal assets 

Jazz get a haul

So we give Josh Green, 2 SRP and remove a critical protection of our pick to change Bertans into Bojan?
Like Reply
(07-28-2022, 11:49 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Just read an article about Tor’s ask for OG. They want an “elite C” in exchange. Is it possible we just got close enough to that this summer? If Wood quickly moves into the starting lineup due to his dedication to defense, I could see him being a big part to a trade for OG. Of course, if Wood is that good, no one will want to trade him and instead will want to watch him walk in FA.

Wood probably walks anyway after he saw how they did Brunson. Enjoy him while you can.
Like Reply
Chicago Bulls Would Get Donovan Mitchell For Coby White, Lonzo Ball, Patrick Williams, And 3 First Round Picks In Proposed Trade (msn.com)
Like Reply
(08-01-2022, 07:14 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Chicago Bulls Would Get Donovan Mitchell For Coby White, Lonzo Ball, Patrick Williams, And 3 First Round Picks In Proposed Trade (msn.com)

Interesting.  The bulls are in a real interesting spot.   Orlando has their pick this upcoming year (top 4 protected).   Vucevic is a FA and from all accounts probably not the best fit there.  What a trade by Orlando BTW.  

The Bulls looked great to start the season.  They played a fun style of play and were one of the better stories in the first half last year.   I don't think it would be smart to expect Derozan to have the same type of season as last year.   He was great during the first half of the season...probably his best play of his career.   There seems to be some concern about Lonzo's knee.  

To me they seem like a team who at its peak is a top 4 team who maybe wins a round in the playoffs.   On the other hand, they are a 8-10 seed if things go wrong.   Not a great place to be stuck at when you are missing your first round pick and have a lot of guys making good money.   

Not sure if that Mitchell trade makes them better or worse moving forward.    I do expect the Bulls could be a team who makes a big move during the season.  If they think they are a player away or if they decide their current group will never reach the top of the East.
Like Reply
I don't think a combination of Mitchell/Lavine/DeRozan works.
[-] The following 2 users Like Halfnir's post:
  • mvossman, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 03:09 AM)Halfnir Wrote: I don't think a combination of Mitchell/Lavine/DeRozan works.

Yeah, it is a weird combination.  I tend to agree.

I do think the Bulls could be a team who does a panic move this upcoming season.  Whether they struggle to start the year or think they are one player away from joining the top 4 in the East.   There time is pretty much now and they look to me as a probable first round exit type team.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 03:09 AM)Halfnir Wrote: I don't think a combination of Mitchell/Lavine/DeRozan works.

Agreed.  Of course, neither does Mitchell/Brunson either.  Not a decent perimeter defender in that bunch.
Like Reply
(08-02-2022, 09:35 AM)mvossman Wrote: Agreed.  Of course, neither does Mitchell/Brunson either.  Not a decent perimeter defender in that bunch.

The problem might be Mitchell Angel

But Mitchell/Lavine/DeMarre with Caruso and freelancing/blocking center might be a lot of fun and success.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...1264004099
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketbllnews/status...0782447621
Like Reply
(08-01-2022, 07:14 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Chicago Bulls Would Get Donovan Mitchell For Coby White, Lonzo Ball, Patrick Williams, And 3 First Round Picks In Proposed Trade (msn.com)

It should be mentioned that this trade ( Donovan Mitchell For Coby White, Lonzo Ball, Patrick Williams, And 3 First Round Picks ) was NOT said to have been proposed by CHI or by UT, but by some blogger (Jack Simone) on a fan/aggregator site (heavy.com).
Like Reply
I hate Westbrook as a player, but this is a trade I would say yes to. THJ + Bertans for Westbrook and two unprotected FRP is huge. Big cap space next season for trades and nice haul of picks to dangle around. 

5 Brutal Russell Westbrook Trades LA Lakers Need to Actually Consider | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report
Like Reply
(08-04-2022, 01:35 PM)omahen Wrote: I hate Westbrook as a player, but this is a trade I would say yes to. THJ + Bertans for Westbrook and two unprotected FRP is huge. Big cap space next season for trades and nice haul of picks to dangle around. 

5 Brutal Russell Westbrook Trades LA Lakers Need to Actually Consider | News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Love it for asset-building. Hate it for Luka keeping. Not a good look to abandon a season when you have Luka on roster and the clock ticking.
Like Reply
(08-04-2022, 01:35 PM)omahen Wrote: I hate Westbrook as a player, but this is a trade I would say yes to. THJ + Bertans for Westbrook and two unprotected FRP is huge. Big cap space next season for trades and nice haul of picks to dangle around. 

That would be a no brainer.  Those picks would be insanely valuable.  Is that enough salary?  Thought we would need to throw in Powell?  If Westbrooks was not such a knucklehead, he could even fit the 3rd playmaker/creator role, but its more likely we would have to send him home.
Like Reply
(08-04-2022, 01:35 PM)omahen Wrote: THJ + Bertans for Westbrook and two unprotected FRP is huge.  [url=https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10044173-5-brutal-russell-westbrook-trades-la-lakers-need-to-actually-consider][/url]

I would do that deal (Mavs would also have to include Powell as expiring filler contract). OTOH I wouldn't do the one in the article.

But it's all moot. The Lakers would never do any of it. They are said to be unwilling to include 1 future FRP, much less 2, to be shed of RW. Which, of course, is why talks to move him continue to go nowhere.
Like Reply
Yeah, if the Lakers were willing to attach two 1st round picks to Westbrook he’d have been traded by now. Would be a no brainer for us.
Like Reply