Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is the Rationale for the Mavs Failing to Use the TPE?
What would it mean for the Mavs(Nico), Cuban or the players available?
Like Reply
Probably that there is no player available to get with it that would make the playoff rotation.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump, MrGoat, Tyler
Like Reply
Not using the TPE wouldn´t be bad. Not using the taxMLE would be concerning. Cuban being cheap has been a topic in the last couple of years and it would be hard to argue that it isn´t the case if they don´t use the taxMLE.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MrGoat, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 09:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not using the TPE wouldn´t be bad. Not using the taxMLE would be concerning. Cuban being cheap has been a topic in the last couple of years and it would be hard to argue that it isn´t the case if they don´t use the taxMLE.

What if they split it as a means of making multiple offers at above the minimum to secure the minimum(ish) guys they prefer? They’ve done that in the past and you hated it, but if you hadn’t objected to the chosen players so much, would the strategy have still bothered you?
Like Reply
(06-20-2022, 09:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: What if they split it as a means of making multiple offers at above the minimum to secure the minimum(ish) guys they prefer? They’ve done that in the past and you hated it, but if you hadn’t objected to the chosen players so much, would the strategy have still bothered you?

Wouldn´t make a big difference if we are just talking about Cuban´s willingness to pay. Just my personal thought that more often than not two above minimum guys aren´t as useful as a single player. In the end it depends on the involved players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
The Mavs TPE requires a trade, where the other team is going to trade you a player you want. It can't be used on a player making 11M or more.

The TPE itself isn't an asset, it's just air. So you still have to offer something of enough value for that player (unless the team hates the player so much that they will give him to you for free -- which would be very unlikely, in light of the caliber of player the Mavs are looking for).

Most TPEs go unused, because they are given when a team reduces salary in a trade, and their use means the team will be giving back the salary reduction they worked to get in the first place.
Like Reply
Basically the most sensible use of the TPE would be to acquire a 2nd round pick by taking on a perceived bad salary or leveraging a team that wants to generate capspace for free agency.

So this combines things that literally only the Dallas Mavericks don´t do, cause....

1. Mark Cuban does not believe in draft picks.
2. Mark Cuban does not believe in taking on bad contracts for compensation.
3. Mark  Cuban has not spent money on such a move ever.
3.1.) So you better believe he´s not doing it now, when he´s in luxury tax territory.

It´s what we always do. We give away draft picks to sign mediocre players like Delon Wright in free agency, while other teams then acquire him for two draft picks from us, so we can sign more Delon Wrights in free agency. 

Hopefully the new MBT is smarter than that.

So far all we have seen is the new MBT trying to be smarter than the old MBT, while working around Mark Cuban´s playbook. I have seen no new pages added (yet).

Zach Collins +#38
Mo Harkless + Alex Len + #37

could be very sensible moves to me.
Like Reply
(06-21-2022, 01:16 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Basically the most sensible use of the TPE would be to acquire a 2nd round pick by taking on a perceived bad salary or leveraging a team that wants to generate capspace for free agency.

So this combines things that literally only the Dallas Mavericks don´t do, cause....

1. Mark Cuban does not believe in draft picks.
2. Mark Cuban does not believe in taking on bad contracts for compensation.
3. Mark  Cuban has not spent money on such a move ever.
3.1.) So you better believe he´s not doing it now, when he´s in luxury tax territory.

It´s what we always do. We give away draft picks to sign mediocre players like Delon Wright in free agency, while other teams then acquire him for two draft picks from us, so we can sign more Delon Wrights in free agency. 

Hopefully the new MBT is smarter than that.

So far all we have seen is the new MBT trying to be smarter than the old MBT, while working around Mark Cuban´s playbook. I have seen no new pages added (yet).

Zach Collins +#38
Mo Harkless + Alex Len + #37

could be very sensible moves to me.

Why not just buy a secondrounder, if that's what we want?
I'm pretty sure you can get one from OKC for the cash we can give out.
Why would you waste 30Mio on something you could get for 2Mio or maybe 1Mio or 3Mio.

That said, what kind of player do you want to pick then?
Like Reply
With the contracts of DP, SD, DB, THJ in place, the Mavs are not in the position to add another bad contract via the TPE (receiving draft compensation), the cost would be way too high due to tax implications. 

No team will give away a useful player on an OK contract into the TPE for free ... 

So the only use-case for the TPE would be trading for a useful player with no salary match required on the other team and draft compensation (future first most likely) going out. Unlikely such a trade can be found that interests both the MAvs and another team until the TPE expires.
Like Reply
I always operate under the assumption TPEs are going to expire unutilized.  They have very little value except for a team that is just looking to dump salary, and you're usually not going to get a great return in that situation.
Like Reply
(06-21-2022, 02:50 AM)Mapka Wrote: Why not just buy a secondrounder, if that's what we want?
I'm pretty sure you can get one from OKC for the cash we can give out.
Why would you waste 30Mio on something you could get for 2Mio or maybe 1Mio or 3Mio.

That said, what kind of player do you want to pick then?

Cause you´ll sign a player of Zach Collins or Mo Harkless quality for similar money in free agency anyway, so you can just acquire them via the TPE and get the 2nd round pick for free and keep your TP-MLE alive.

I´d pick the BPA, but most likely a center. I actually think Nzosa has the most upside.
Like Reply
(06-22-2022, 01:48 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Cause you´ll sign a player of Zach Collins or Mo Harkless quality for similar money in free agency anyway, so you can just acquire them via the TPE and get the 2nd round pick for free and keep your TP-MLE alive.

I´d pick the BPA, but most likely a center. I actually think Nzosa has the most upside.

If the player is worth the money in free agency. Why would a team trade player x/y/z and attach a pick? Why would the Spurs just gift away Collins now that he is finally healthy and actually looking promising? And why would they pay the Mavs to do that?
Like Reply
(06-22-2022, 01:58 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: If the player is worth the money in free agency. Why would a team trade player x/y/z and attach a pick? Why would the Spurs just gift away Collins now that he is finally healthy and actually looking promising? And why would they pay the Mavs to do that?

Cause they might need the capspace to sign Ayton to an offer sheet.
Like Reply
(06-21-2022, 06:03 AM)Halfnir Wrote: With the contracts of DP, SD, DB, THJ in place, the Mavs are not in the position to add another bad contract via the TPE (receiving draft compensation), the cost would be way too high due to tax implications. 

No team will give away a useful player on an OK contract into the TPE for free ... 

So the only use-case for the TPE would be trading for a useful player with no salary match required on the other team and draft compensation (future first most likely) going out. Unlikely such a trade can be found that interests both the MAvs and another team until the TPE expires.
Just a year ago DAL traded JRich for ‚air‘. He’s nothing special but certainly better than most minimum guys.

Moves like that happen regularly so let’s not create a false narrative here. Bogut to DAL years ago was also a straight salary dump. Or when we took on Zaza. Both easily better than most minimum guys.
Like Reply
(06-22-2022, 01:38 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Just a year ago DAL traded JRich for ‚air‘. He’s nothing special but certainly better than most minimum guys.

Moves like that happen regularly so let’s not create a false narrative here. Bogut to DAL years ago was also a straight salary dump. Or when we took on Zaza. Both easily better than most minimum guys.

I was mostly with you until you threw Bogut's name in there.  Bogut was not better than a min salary guy at that point in his career.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • MrGoat
Like Reply
revisited
Like Reply
(06-27-2022, 10:57 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: revisited

Was there a free 10 mil player that was worth to dive further into the tax? Cause I can't see one.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I would have liked to have seen Nerlens Noel.  I know it seems like aiding the enemy, but he would be easy enough to move, and it doesn't necessarily make it harder for us to sign JB.
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 01:27 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: I would have liked to have seen Nerlens Noel.  I know it seems like aiding the enemy, but he would be easy enough to move, and it doesn't necessarily make it harder for us to sign JB.

You're basically giving the Knicks the space to sign Brunson to a starting salary of $28 mil a year with that move. And for what? 

Make the Knicks spend the assets to free up that space first, and if you really want Noel take him back in a SnT for Brunson then. 

Obviously I prefer the Mavs just keep JB instead, and I frankly don't really like Noel at all.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
After doing some looking and reflecting, it seems to me that the idea of Noel is way better than Noel the player. He's not really who we wish he was.

I want a guy who will control the lane, and who plays above the rim. The most telling stat imo: in the 2021-22 season, over the entire year, he had 3 dunks. Not per game. In total for the whole season.

3.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg.

Combine that with the azz he was, when he played in Dallas (the hot dog eating incident was epic, but also told quite a story), and I doubt the Mavs have any interest whatsoever.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply