2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(06-15-2022, 08:42 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:
Wood       Powell

DFS          Maxi/Bertans
Bullock    THJ
Brunson  Green/Pinson
Luka        Dinwiddie/Frank

So what is next?

Right now I look at Maxi being a true swing big backing up 5 and 4.  I also look at Dorian as playing both the 4 and the 3.  So:

Wood/Maxi/Powell
DFS/Maxi/Bertans
Bullock/DFS/Green
Luka/THJ/Pinson
Brunson/Din/Frank

The minutes are tight for Timmy and Din.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 09:17 PM)mvossman Wrote: Lot easier to stomach this after dumping the bottom 4 on the roster.  Probably don't have to worry about Frank getting dumped either.

As great as this trade looks, is it too early for me to be concerned how this is going to be a top 10 defense starting Luka/Brunson/Wood?

The defense was really good with Powell and Wood is pretty much a direct upgrade to all of Powell's weaknesses as long as he can handle the mental part of it. I'm on board even if the defense isn't great. Let Luka pad the hell out of his stats. Wood is the best 5 you can get for him in this market on offense and I don't think it's really close other than running small ball 5 Collins for a ton more assets.
Like Reply
Its crazy how much this changes the conversations on here.  No more talking about the bottom of the roster, probably much less talking about the draft.  No more talking about guys like Gobert or Turner.  Probably rules out guys like Collins and Grant as well.

Would we still spend the tax MLE on a defensive center?

Does a Tobias Harris trade make any more or less sense?  That is one of the few that we could still possibly pull off.

Is there an overpriced defensive 4 that we could possibly target with some combination of Timmy, Powell and Green?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 09:24 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: The defense was really good with Powell and Wood is pretty much a direct upgrade to all of Powell's weaknesses as long as he can handle the mental part of it. I'm on board even if the defense isn't great. Let Luka pad the hell out of his stats. Wood is the best 5 you can get for him in this market on offense and I don't think it's really close other than running small ball 5 Collins for a ton more assets.

This has to be the scary part... Powell is probably a top 5 BBIQ  player among the centers in the league. His heart and mind really helped him overcome some size disadvantages and even some athletic ones. IF a player is close to Powell athletically they will not look good trying to replace him without a high sense of BBIQ. So that is my concern on the defensive end. I feel confident that he will fit in nicely on offense, but how that equates - I will just say that I am hopeful.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...96738?s=21&t=m2ak5IRGj5arjo_n8Ncg3w
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...1521396738
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 06:59 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...uka-doncic

Question, did Jalen Smith do enough in Indy that another team offers him their full MLE?  Does a team with cap offer more?    With his age and skillset there should be a lot of competition.  The question is...how much competition.  I really believe he could have a jump in his future and you may be getting him at the right age.   Just may not be possible for our MLE that we have.   We will see.  

You can make the case to go hard after Jalen and sign a center at 26 may be the best direction this offseason.   I am not quite there for a center at 26 at this point.  Although if you were right on both, you really add length to our front court while keeping your assets open for a move in the future.

I hope that Jalen Smith is our target for the tax payer MLE

I think he's ready to blossom into a very useful player and I also think that his agent will steer him towards Luka for a big payday in 3 years
Like Reply
For all the flack Wood gets for his defense, he at least has the physical tools to be an ok shot blocker. A lot of these blocks in this compilation are on all-star level players. He has seasons over 1 block/game in the nba. Powell is always around .5. Direct upgrade in that regard. Should be more engaged on a contender than a rebuilding team which he didn't sign up for when he picked the Rockets originally and they immediately traded Harden after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3up35GVPUOs
Like Reply
So they want a wing per McMahon. Any chance they can lure PJ Tucker? Batum has been discussed before but he seems dead set on returning to the Clips.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
RE: "Playoff Rotation Wing"

TJ Warren?
OPJ?
Danuel House?

Feels like a trade will be how they have to find this desired wing.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 09:23 PM)mvossman Wrote: Right now I look at Maxi being a true swing big backing up 5 and 4.  I also look at Dorian as playing both the 4 and the 3.  So:

The minutes are tight for Timmy and Din.

Does a Tobias Harris trade make any more or less sense?

Tobias crossed my mind pretty quickly also.  Feels to me like we need an O for D swap somewhere and he doesn't really fit that bill.  Crowder would slot in really nicely though.  If you look at this as tightened playoff rotation (where guys play multiple position as in your depth chart, we now have 8 instead of 6...progress.

Wood
             Maxi
DFS

Bullock   THJ

Brunson
             Dinwiddie
Luka
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 10:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Tobias

Does he fit the "playoff rotation wing" priority?

If the Mavs are chasing a "playoff rotation wing" does that mean THJ is outgoing?
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 10:19 PM)loki Wrote: So they want a wing per McMahon. Any chance they can lure PJ Tucker? Batum has been discussed before but he seems dead set on returning to the Clips.

I wonder if maybe Boucher would make sense at the tax MLE?  A defensive 4 would make a lot of sense.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 10:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Does he fit the "playoff rotation wing" priority?

If the Mavs are chasing a "playoff rotation wing" does that mean THJ is outgoing?
It’s not a guarantee, but the rumors were that he was being shopped at the TDL. I’d say they at least keep shopping him. That THJ for Holmes and Harkless still looks pretty good to me.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 10:32 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Tobias crossed my mind pretty quickly also.  Feels to me like we need an O for D swap somewhere and he doesn't really fit that bill.  Crowder would slot in really nicely though.  If you look at this as tightened playoff rotation (where guys play multiple position as in your depth chart, we now have 8 instead of 6...progress.

Wood
             Maxi
DFS

Bullock   THJ

Brunson
             Dinwiddie
Luka

Would Crowder fit into our TPE?  Fits the role of playoff wing.  Maybe PHX decides they will match any Ayton offer and look to move off Crowder’s salary.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 10:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Does he fit the "playoff rotation wing" priority?

It's a good question.  In my mind a healthy Timmy is already adding a playoff rotation wing.  I agree with Dan that focus should be defense, and Tobias does not really fit that need.  I'm struggling to think who though.  We just spent our best asset.

(06-15-2022, 10:40 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Would Crowder fit into our TPE?  Fits the role of playoff wing.  Maybe PHX decides they will match any Ayton offer and look to move off Crowder’s salary.

Got to think they could get an asset for a Crowder dump, but yes he does fit.
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 10:38 PM)mvossman Wrote: I wonder if maybe Boucher would make sense at the tax MLE?  A defensive 4 would make a lot of sense.

I have to imagine Toronto would offer more money than that to keep him. Definitely interested if he's available at that price though.
Like Reply
1. Re-sign Brunson

2. MLE Wing 6' 7" and up please. Should be able to play 3 or 4.

3. Re-sign Pinson

4. Vet min traditional big

I'm in a good mood so Dwight can stay and finish this contract in a nice 10 mpg role.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-15-2022, 11:02 PM)loki Wrote: I have to imagine Toronto would offer more money than that to keep him. Definitely interested if he's available at that price though.

Yeah.  It feels like it will be harder to find a quality big wing than center with the tax MLE.  Someone mentioned Batum, who I would love, but don't think we can pry him away either.  Tucker is already 37.  He was great this year but not sure what can be left in that tank.
Like Reply
Wings who could be had of the top of my head:

Gary Harris
Will Barton
Rudy Gay
Jeff Green
Like Reply