Poll: Do the Mavs out-rebound AND score more points in the paint tonight against PHX?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
No
58.33%
7 58.33%
They out-rebound them, but don't score more points
0%
0 0%
They score more points in the paint, but lose the rebound battle
41.67%
5 41.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYOFF ROUND 2 GAME 1: DAL (0-1) vs. PHX (1-0)| 114-121 loss
I'm not betting on a sweep, but JB and Din just needs to have decent games for the Mavs to stay competitive.

The key here is Maxi - if Maxi plays a B- or C+ game, the Mavs will lose.
Maxi needs to bring at least his A- and B+ game for the Mavs to win.
Like Reply
(05-02-2022, 11:43 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'm not betting on a sweep, but JB and Din just needs to have decent games for the Mavs to stay competitive.

The key here is Maxi - if Maxi plays a B- or C+ game, the Mavs will lose.
Maxi needs to bring at least his A- and B+ game for the Mavs to win.

You got a really good performance from Maxi tonight and we got blown out.  I don't really care what the final score says.

Dinwiddie has been a major playoff disappointment.  I'm going to give JB a bit of a pass because of foul trouble.
Like Reply
(05-02-2022, 11:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Give me...

1. Luka
2. Bridges

Bridges is everything people THINK DFS is.

But seriously, Bridges is arguably the most important player on the Suns.

He is a really good player, but don't think he is in the same category as Paul or Booker.  

The most important development in this series is how badly Ayton is going to kill our frontcourt and can Brunson play high level against this suffocating defense.  I think those are the keys.  If we can't figure out a way to contain Ayton we are doomed, and if Brunson figure it out against this length we are doomed.
Like Reply
(05-02-2022, 11:44 PM)mvossman Wrote: He is a really good player, but don't think he is in the same category as Paul or Booker.  

I was being a little cheeky.

CP3 and Booker are "better" because of how they carry offensive loads, no question. BUT I think Bridges is the kind of guy who makes a whole TEAM work. CP3 and Book need Bridges as much as Bridges needs them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(05-02-2022, 11:44 PM)mvossman Wrote: If we can't figure out a way to contain Ayton we are doomed, and if Brunson figure it out against this length we are doomed.

I want to see small-ball against Ayton. 

And yes, if JB cannot be Robin, it's over.
Like Reply
(05-02-2022, 11:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: BUT I think Bridges is the kind of guy who makes a whole TEAM work. .

Sounds like what Kidd says about God King.  Bridges is nice but he isn't asked to do as much as Dorian.
Like Reply
I don't like Chris Paul but he sure is playing well for an old guy.
Like Reply
(05-02-2022, 11:49 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I don't like Chris Paul but he sure is playing well for an old guy.

He never had apex athleticism.  This should give us all hope for a very long Luka career.
Like Reply
(05-02-2022, 11:49 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I don't like Chris Paul but he sure is playing well for an old guy.

Chris Paul is a savant. Nothing else to say.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
51-36 rebounding advantage for the Suns, while they shot 50/40/100 as a team. We also shot the ball pretty ball: 47/41/72.

I can tell you what happens, when they start to miss. They´ll grab rebounds.
I can also tell you what happens, when we start to miss. They´ll grab more rebounds. 

Powell/Kleber combined for two rebounds in 41 minutes. It´s simply not good enough. Offer Carlisle THJ/Powell for Myles Turner, maybe his irrational love for Powell will him see pull the trigger. Worst case we got off the THJ money.

Going after more veterans roleplayers will simply not raise the ceiling of this team. We need to sign young players that at least can be projected trade assets going forward, if they play well. Nobody gives us sh*t, if RoLo puts up 12/8 and we aren´t winning an NBA title either, but if Smith or Hartenstein do it, you have an asset that can go along way toward a Gobert trade for example.
Like Reply
(05-03-2022, 12:00 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: We need to sign young players that at least can be projected trade assets going forward, if they play well. Nobody gives us sh*t,

We should have been drafting those players.  Our biggest issue is that our last good draft pick is about to get paid.  Now look at Phoenix who have have Ayton, Bridges and Johnson who are all on their rookie deals.
Like Reply
(05-03-2022, 12:03 AM)cow Wrote: We should have been drafting those players.  Our biggest issue is that our last good draft pick is about to get paid.  Now look at Phoenix who have have Ayton, Bridges and Johnson who are all on their rookie deals.

Curious what Sarver will do paying those guys and how long CP3 can be good.  PHX chip window is small.
Like Reply
(05-03-2022, 12:13 AM)Hypermav Wrote: Curious what Sarver will do paying those guys and how long CP3 can be good.  PHX chip window is small.

Ayton expires this season, Johnson has one more year left.  Bridges extension kicks in next year.  They've got CP3 for two more years as his last year is no-guaranteed.  I'm guessing they'll let Ayton and Johnson walk.  This will be there best shot at a chip and they'll have a good chance next year too.  After that they'll need to retool around Booker and Bridges.   Though I wouldn't count CP3 out, even when he's 39.

As an aside, I'd love to be in the Cam Johnson sweepstakes when he hits free agency.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Hypermav
Like Reply
You have to believe the Mavs can make things at least as tough as the Pelicans did. The Mavs will have to find a way to make the games ugly. The most important stat for tonight was zero, as in, the Mavs committed zero hard fouls.  Dinwiddie and Brunson need to play much better on both sides of the floor. They were tonight’s anti Lukas.
Like Reply
(05-03-2022, 12:30 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: You have to believe the Mavs can make things at least as tough as the Pelicans did. The Mavs will have to find a way to make the games ugly. The most important stat for tonight was zero, as in, the Mavs committed zero hard fouls.

Biggest difference between the Mavs and the Pelicans is the Pelicans have JV and Hayes doing work on the boards and putting in some points.
Like Reply
In terms of matchups, the first game was basically

CP3>>Brunson
Luka>>Booker
Crowder>Bullock
DFS~=~Bridges
Ayton>>>>Powell

Suns' bench>>Mavs' bench

We need way more from Brunson and the bench in the 2nd game, because the Ayton matchup is more or less hopeless.
Like Reply
Tough game 1 with Phoenix showing they are a very good team. Despite Mavs shooting it well, the game wasn't as close as the score would lead us to believe. We can only hope Phoenix deops significantly in their efficiency.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
Definitely its on the defense. We scored points. We are suited to stop the inside game and the 3 point shot. Phoenix is super efficient mid range 2 point team, several if not many of their players. They are more a complete team than we have met so far. It needs major adjustments on defense. At the moment, we need to adjust to them, not the other way around. We need more step up on defense with the intensity that we are used to. This series can be won by Luka Magic and defensive adjustments.
Like Reply
Just not enough defense from the mavs. Powell looks to be the weak link. Luka is working too hard on offense and it hurts his defense. He had to after Brunson played so terrible. We need better defenders
Like Reply
Biggest difference I see is, Phoenix ain't Utah, especially on defense.
Like Reply