Poll: Who will win the series?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
DAL (4-0)
0%
0 0%
DAL (4-1)
7.32%
3 7.32%
DAL (4-2)
39.02%
16 39.02%
DAL (4-3)
29.27%
12 29.27%
UTA (4-3)
2.44%
1 2.44%
UTA (4-2)
12.20%
5 12.20%
UTA (4-1)
2.44%
1 2.44%
UTA (4-0)
7.32%
3 7.32%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
PLAYOFFS ROUND 1: #4 DAL (4-2) vs #5 UTA (2-4) |
(04-27-2022, 12:05 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Conley is their biggest problem.
Agree, Conley needs to be a backup somewhere to end his career (Utah has a backup). In all honesty, they might be better off getting a well defending guard/wing and let Mitchell take over PG duties. He does anyway. The league needs lots more Jrue Holiday clones!
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:09 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Agree, Conley needs to be a backup somewhere to end his career (Utah has a backup). In all honesty, they might be better off getting a well defending guard/wing and let Mitchell take over PG duties. He does anyway. The league needs lots more Jrue Holiday clones!

22-23:  $22,680,000
23-24:  $24,360,000 ($14,320,000 Guaranteed)
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:18 PM)cow Wrote: 22-23:  $22,680,000
23-24:  $24,360,000 ($14,320,000 Guaranteed)
Yep, he would be a very expensive backup for a year, I just think that’s probably his best oncourt use. Not sure who would be interested in taking him on. Maybe a SGA swap for Conley and 3-4 picks? That would make Utah pretty dangerous IMO.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Yep, he would be a very expensive backup for a year, I just think that’s probably his best oncourt use. Not sure who would be interested in taking him on. Maybe a SGA swap for Conley and 3-4 picks? That would make Utah pretty dangerous IMO.

Think the first available FRP is '26.  They don't own their pick this year so no draft day deals.  If it were my team, I'd probably try to cash out on Mitchell and see if I could return some value on Gobert.  Clarkson has two years left on his deal but I'm guessing he opts out for one last big pay day.  That team feels closer to a rebuild than a contender but I guess it all comes down to how you evaluate Mitchell who I think is more of a Robin than a Batman.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...2682454017
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...2682454017

This is a great way to reflect what we’re seeing statistically. Thanks for sharing. The most interesting part to me is the follow up of how many picks he’s defending. Almost one for one with possessions in game 4 but dealt with so many per possession in game 3.

I assume Bojan was more excited about the extra day between games than anyone else in the series.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:52 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: This is a great way to reflect what we’re seeing statistically. Thanks for sharing. The most interesting part to me is the follow up of how many picks he’s defending. Almost one for one with possessions in game 4 but dealt with so many per possession in game 3.

I assume Bojan was more excited about the extra day between games than anyone else in the series.

I'm still kind of pissed we aren't hammering him more with his full court pressure on Luka/Jalen.  That or giving the ball to Dorian/Bullock to dribble past the timeline.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:55 PM)cow Wrote: I'm still kind of pissed we aren't hammering him more with his full court pressure on Luka/Jalen.  That or giving the ball to Dorian/Bullock to dribble past the timeline.

Interesting you say that because I actually thought that I saw Dorian and others bringing the ball up more than ever in the past two games compared to the regular season but wonder if the numbers back that up. Certainly agree on the hammering though. Just hit him with a screen a few times 60ft from the hoop and those full court presses slow down pretty quick I would think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 01:00 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: Interesting you say that because I actually thought that I saw Dorian and others bringing the ball up more than ever in the past two games compared to the regular season but wonder if the numbers back that up. Certainly agree on the hammering though. Just hit him with a screen a few times 60ft from the hoop and those full court presses slow down pretty quick I would think.

The crazy thing is  that he hurt his shoulder in the last game or the previous.  I know my coaches would have been ruthless with picks if he was still applying full court pressure at that point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 01:03 PM)cow Wrote: The crazy thing is  that he hurt his shoulder in the last game or the previous.  I know my coaches would have been ruthless with picks if he was still applying full court pressure at that point.

Ya as soon as I saw that I assumed his shot was going to be toast regardless of how much defensive he’s playing. To your point though sometimes I don’t feel like we test other teams injuries enough. I mean it’s the playoffs, if you’re on the floor you’re fair game. Really hope we go hard at Mitchell in game 6 to test that hammy assuming he plays.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 10:50 AM)Winter Wrote: You could argue that, but that's not saying much.

And if you're Utah and you're out in the first round.... where are you going to make big changes? It's either Mitchell or Gobert. No?

That's a fair point.

Regarding UTA making changes, I think this has been a long time coming. They've been pretty much the same team for the last 2-3 years. Conley was supposed to be the guy that took them over the top but he's either been underwhelming or injured and no in between. 

The smart play for UTA would be to trade Mitchell to NYK for everything they have. A move to me that would reminisce a lot like the path Denver took getting rid of Melo. Getting 2-3 good players and picks just seems like smart asset management for a guy who's been subtly wondering out loud of UTA is the right place for him. 

After that, I don't know what they do. Hard to build around 30 year old Gobert after trading Mitchell so they might as well blow it up and get what they can get. Even harder to imagine what kind of return Gobert would get in a trade that'd keep UTA competitive as he's so integral to their success already. That's why I think UTA is either trading Mitchell flatly, or both him and Gobert are gone. Just doesn't really make much sense to me otherwise.

(04-27-2022, 12:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...2682454017

https://twitter.com/iztok_franko/status/...9861074946
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I think Reggie cleaned Bojan's clock with screen a couple of games back. Right before the ball crossed mid-court, dribbler (Brunson?) made a close cut and ran the defender into Bullock. Saw it on a clip, but I don't remember where.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:35 PM)cow Wrote: Think the first available FRP is '26.  They don't own their pick this year so no draft day deals.  If it were my team, I'd probably try to cash out on Mitchell and see if I could return some value on Gobert.  Clarkson has two years left on his deal but I'm guessing he opts out for one last big pay day.  That team feels closer to a rebuild than a contender but I guess it all comes down to how you evaluate Mitchell who I think is more of a Robin than a Batman.
I don’t think they need to get rid of both. I also don’t think Gobert would get as much return as they would need to really put the right team around Mitchell. IMO, the picks being a problem, that trade of Conley and picks for SGA, you could either expand it to add Mitchell and Dort on both sides. The money savings should be enough to overcome the difference between SGA and Mitchell. That gives Gobert much needed help on the perimeter. After that they pick up a really good defense minded coach with a good offensive assistant and they could be off to the races again next year. The other thought would be a trade for Dejuante Murray and stuff for Mitchell. That gets them more defense and adds a guy that is closer to Goberts timeline.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 03:37 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t think they need to get rid of both. I also don’t think Gobert would get as much return as they would need to really put the right team around Mitchell. IMO, the picks being a problem, that trade of Conley and picks for SGA, you could either expand it to add Mitchell and Dort on both sides. The money savings should be enough to overcome the difference between SGA and Mitchell. That gives Gobert much needed help on the perimeter. After that they pick up a really good defense minded coach with a good offensive assistant and they could be off to the races again next year. The other thought would be a trade for Dejuante Murray and stuff for Mitchell. That gets them more defense and adds a guy that is closer to Goberts timeline.

I just think Utah is in a weird place.  If I had to pick between the two, I'd show loyalty to Mitchell but if I had to guess, Gobert is more likely to show loyalty back.  In reality I don't think Mitchell is that dude but is way too good to ever let you be bad enough to pair him with that dude.  And Gobert is immature and there is something about him that a lot of players in the league don't like.  He's also grossly overpaid.  You could probably get a ransom for Mitchell and someone would give you something for Gobert.  I don't hate your idea of SGA, Dort, Clarkson, Gobert though.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 04:21 PM)cow Wrote: I just think Utah is in a weird place.  If I had to pick between the two, I'd show loyalty to Mitchell but if I had to guess, Gobert is more likely to show loyalty back.  In reality I don't think Mitchell is that dude but is way too good to ever let you be bad enough to pair him with that dude.  And Gobert is immature and there is something about him that a lot of players in the league don't like.  He's also grossly overpaid.  You could probably get a ransom for Mitchell and someone would give you something for Gobert.  I don't hate your idea of SGA, Dort, Clarkson, Gobert though.
Ya, unless SGA and Gobert can become a quality pnr partnership, you'd be relying heavily on SGA, Clarkson, Bojan (aging) and Ingles (aging) for your offense. I think that defense could become pretty stifling though.
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 12:25 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Yep, he would be a very expensive backup for a year, I just think that’s probably his best oncourt use. Not sure who would be interested in taking him on. Maybe a SGA swap for Conley and 3-4 picks? That would make Utah pretty dangerous IMO.

So...

Dallas trades Bertans, Boban, and Burke for Conley and the '26 FRP?

Wouldja?
Like Reply
(04-27-2022, 01:57 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: That's why I think UTA is either trading Mitchell flatly, or both him and Gobert are gone. Just doesn't really make much sense to me otherwise

I think the same. If you're serious about rebuilding anyway.

But I suspect their front office will have to have a strategic plan going forward. If you didn't want a protracted rebuild, I could see it being easier to build around Gobert than Mitchell. Still, there may be more push to get Gobert moved if he has soured with the fan base.
Like Reply
Some more really fun Jazz news currently breaking...

Jazz Assistant Keyon Dooling Placed On Leave After Fraud Charge | Hoops Rumors
Like Reply

Remember how bad the Mavs were shooting at the beginning of the year, when they were learning the defense? The Jazz are trying to do the same thing now, in the middle of a playoff series.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuGXi77Op_k&ab_channel=DallasMavericks
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply