TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
Fleeced: 
Transitive verb

A) To strip of money or property by fraud or extortion 

B) to charge excessively for goods or services
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jason Terry's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
This is exactly what I wanted to see when they traded KP. I loved it. I was almost gone because I was getting sick of Cuban and his junk moves. But, when I saw they traded KP and got Bertans and Dimwiddie they got my attention. Went into GS's house and took their candy. Wow.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
(02-27-2022, 11:28 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Fleeced: 
Transitive verb

A) To strip of money or property by fraud or extortion 

B) to charge excessively for goods or services

It feels more like a one mans trash is another mans treasure to me.

Washington was even more looking to get ridd of them, than we wanted to get out of the KP situation.
Like Reply
With the report of no timetable for KP’s return, that knee injury is more than is being reported. That says a lot more about KP’s value when he was traded. With that said, no wonder the return was such that all we could get was a couple players the other team was desperate to get rid of.
Like Reply
I am going to give the new guys a month of watching them before I really have a true feel on their games.   I have liked how they both have played so far.  I really like how Dinwiddie if he can get a half of step on you, he can get to the rim and finish.  In the highlights I watched of him in Washington, he looked like he lost a half of a step.   Maybe it is the more open floor here,  but he has looked fine getting into the paint.

As far as Bertans goes, he has some dawg in him.   Plays with a little bit of an edge.   He is not the prototype soft three point shooter.   I like how he has jumped in and is getting shots up and also playing with a little bit of an attitude.   Get those bench T's Laser!
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 08:10 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: he looked like he lost a half of a step.   Maybe it is the more open floor here

I think it is two things:

1) He is in a situation that matters again (so better effort...see how fired up out there he was last night??).

2) Better spacing is essential for guys who love to drive (and DB has been HUGE at opening things up on that end...and the Mavs are better in general than WAS as well).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 07:39 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: With the report of no timetable for KP’s return, that knee injury is more than is being reported. That says a lot more about KP’s value when he was traded. With that said, no wonder the return was such that all we could get was a couple players the other team was desperate to get rid of.
This also helps to realize why Tor backed out of their deal. Once it got close to make the deal time, the Mavs (knowing KP would have to pass a physical) had to fully disclose the extent of the injury. Tor says they’re out and so Nico is left scrambling to find another team that doesn’t care. Was is fine tanking this season cause it’s lost with Beal being out anyway. So we can have their two least wanted contracts if we tip them a second.
[-] The following 4 users Like ItsGoTime's post:
  • mvossman, Smitty, sterlingmallory, WillE
Like Reply
Since the trade - 4 Games (Mavs 3-1)

Dinwiddie: 14 PPG / 3 REB / 3.3 AST / 1 STL   --   64% FG / 46% 3FG / 72% eFG / plus-11.1

Bertans: 9.8 PPG / 2.8 REB   --   43% FG / 39% 3FG / 7 3PA / 61% eFG / plus-20.7

KP: 0 PPG / 0 REB / 0 AST / 0 STL   --   0 FG% / 0 3P% / 0 eFG% / DNP DNP DNP DNP
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • F Gump, Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 08:10 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am going to give the new guys a month of watching them before I really have a true feel on their games.   I have liked how they both have played so far.  I really like how Dinwiddie if he can get a half of step on you, he can get to the rim and finish.  In the highlights I watched of him in Washington, he looked like he lost a half of a step.   Maybe it is the more open floor here,  but he has looked fine getting into the paint.

As far as Bertans goes, he has some dawg in him.   Plays with a little bit of an edge.   He is not the prototype soft three point shooter.   I like how he has jumped in and is getting shots up and also playing with a little bit of an attitude.   Get those bench T's Laser!

My thoughts with it are that Dinwiddie was coming off an ACL tear. That takes a year to get right. He was just about to start getting back to his old self again around the time of the trade. So, he's getting his first step back along with being in a better situation. Luka creates space which he will gladly take advantage of. 

Bertans is exactly what we needed out of KP. A high clip 3 point shooting big with some dog in him. KP was too passive and thought he was a star so he wanted touches in the post. That's not a good fit with Luka.

I'm much more into what they do on the floor rather than the name on the jersey. Glad to see Nico and Kidd are as well. I can't stand the approach of get all of the big names and let them figure it out. It's more about roles and guys knowing theirs.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
Like Reply
Is it just me, or does SD look pretty good turning the corner and getting to the rim? Early speculation was that his knee injury was hurting his game.

Not criticizing anyone's take from the trade, just asking if I'm seeing what others are seeing.
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • F Gump, Smitty
Like Reply
Davis "Hans" Bertans has come a long way since living next door to Tom Hanks in "The Burbs".

[Image: burbs1.png]
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 02:21 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Is it just me, or does SD look pretty good turning the corner and getting to the rim? Early speculation was that his knee injury was hurting his game.

Not criticizing anyone's take from the trade, just asking if I'm seeing what others are seeing.

I agree. His first step on the blow by layup, with his left hand, in the 4th quarter, was A++

I see nothing that shows a balky knee. I think lack of motivation, while playing for the Wizards, could have been the reason for some to say otherwise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
SD seems to be pretty good at getting the switch and then exploiting it.

All around great ball movement in the 4th quarter. Patient and unselfish to get the best shot. Everyone was involved and not just waiting around for Luka to do something. Maybe portends better close outs for close games?
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 03:00 PM)michaeltex Wrote: SD seems to be pretty good at getting the switch and then exploiting it.

I have to think there's also the reality that the opponent's best on-ball defender is often NOT going to be guarding SD, because of Luka or JB or both being in the game.

That's a reason why the Mavs are not likely to let JB go imo - having multiple attackers in the game who create offense by breaking down the defense and getting to the rim increases the level of defensive difficulty exponentially.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, michaeltex, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 03:59 PM)F Gump Wrote: I have to think there's also the reality that the opponent's best on-ball defender is often NOT going to be guarding SD, because of Luka or JB or both being in the game.

Yep. I've been screaming "multiple ball-handlers" since I was stuck home during the pandemic and watched every single game from every team of the bubble playoffs except maybe 1-2. The biggest takeaway from that experience, by FAR, was how much more ball-handling every other team in the playoffs had than Dallas.
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 02:21 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Is it just me, or does SD look pretty good turning the corner and getting to the rim? Early speculation was that his knee injury was hurting his game.

He has a much quicker first step than I was expecting. He has that burst that other players aren't expecting either.

Perhaps he was so disengaged in WAS he was just phoning it in...? One of the only explanations that comes to mind because I also heard from WAS boards that Dinwiddie had lost his burst.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 04:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He has a much quicker first step than I was expecting. He has that burst that other players aren't expecting either.

Perhaps he was so disengaged in WAS he was just phoning it in...? One of the only explanations that comes to mind because I also heard from WAS boards that Dinwiddie had lost his burst.

I think he was just recovering from an ACL injury. Think about how long it took Powell to look close to right again. 

What if he's already this explosive but not even fully recovered yet? What if there's another gear we won't see until next season?
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 04:59 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think he was just recovering from an ACL injury. Think about how long it took Powell to look close to right again. 

What if he's already this explosive but not even fully recovered yet? What if there's another gear we won't see until next season?

Powell was Achillis, which is much tougher to come back from.  ACL is more likely to be a full recovery, but it does take time.  As someone mentioned, this is about the right time for him to get fully healthy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-28-2022, 04:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yep. I've been screaming "multiple ball-handlers" since I was stuck home during the pandemic and watched every single game from every team of the bubble playoffs except maybe 1-2. The biggest takeaway from that experience, by FAR, was how much more ball-handling every other team in the playoffs had than Dallas.

It was my biggest disappointment from the offseason.  They even stated their biggest need was a ball hander with size.  The two most likely candidates would have been DeRozan and Din.  Was not a huge fan of either, but it would have made more sense than THJ.

Kind of funny how things worked out.  If we sign Din in the offseason, its likely to start.  But without signing anybody, Brunson had to step up more and exploded this season.  Now Brunson is starting and Din is coming off the bench.
Like Reply
Okay... I will admit that the early returns show a much more vast contribution than I was expecting - I am still  concerned Bertrans will not play anywhere near worth his contract, but Din is more than I expected, and then some...

Get Holmes for THJ and call this team ready for the PTP'ers Baby!
Like Reply