Poll: Who elevated their game to seal the win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bullock (+8, 20 pts, 4 rbd, 4-11 3pt shooting)
3.13%
1 3.13%
DFS (+14, 13 points, 2 rbd, 3 stl)
0%
0 0%
Powell (+9, 14 pts, 5 rbd, 3 stl, 6-6 shooting)
0%
0 0%
Luka (+19, 33 pts, 13 rbd, 15 ast, 2 stl, 2 monster dunks)
93.75%
30 93.75%
Brunson (+1, 19 pts, 5 rbd, 4 ast)
0%
0 0%
Boban (+1, 2 pts, 1 rbd, 1-1, crowd energy bringer)
0%
0 0%
Whoever decided to run 2-3 zone at half time
3.13%
1 3.13%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 53 DIRKIE: Luka seals it! (94%)
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1489856057992171521
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, ReunionMav
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1489850959551508482
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Not an evil robot, ReunionMav, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 08:32 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: LOL, here we go again.
Luka playing well and the narrative becomes "just some injury bugging him" and not overweight.

He was, and probably still overweight, but NOT as much as the start of the season.

Again, I'm not saying he should trim down to 220, he just needs to be wherein he has the balance of speed and power.

That little bump in speed is really helping him (as much as not being injured).

This is the best Luka to date, some of best career performances are in the stretch after his injury ended. To me that is extremely strong evidence that injury was the only issue here. The little extra weight is only good IMO, he is much stronger now in the paint and as rebounder. The difference between now and some weeks ago, is only the injury and covid. You can't go from fat to slim in few weeks. It is the injury that is the main difference.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 09:16 AM)burekemde Wrote: To me that is extremely strong evidence that injury was the only issue here.

I've always felt like the weight stuff was overblown, but did you read the quote in the other thread from Luka, himself? 

It was an issue. Maybe not to the extent of what was discussed around here, but it was an issue.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 09:18 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I've always felt like the weight stuff was overblown, but did you read the quote in the other thread from Luka, himself? 

It was an issue. Maybe not to the extent of what was discussed around here, but it was an issue.

yes i did and to me it also confirms that it was much less issue than discussed around here. It was a samll issue that could be fixed in such a short time of weeks. If you are fat you need seasons to get back in shape. The key issue was the injury that prevented him by far the most. He was limping and like that you cant play at all.The fat thing was clearly completely overblown. Also stating that he is bad defender. He has been elite since his injury ended
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • ReunionMav
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 09:21 AM)burekemde Wrote: The key issue was the injury that prevented him by far the most. He was limping and like that you cant play at all.

I think the two issues worked together. 

The extra weight put more stress on the ankle. The ankle made it harder to lose the weight. 

But, Luka himself had a quote about weight/conditioning. HE said he couldn't play this well and this long early because of that. So, it was a thing.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 09:21 AM)burekemde Wrote: yes i did and to me it also confirms that it was much less issue than discussed around here. It was a samll issue that could be fixed in such a short time of weeks. If you are fat you need seasons to get back in shape. The key issue was the injury that prevented him by far the most. He was limping and like that you cant play at all.The fat thing was clearly completely overblown. Also stating that he is bad defender. He has been elite since his injury ended

Luka's quote says the opposite of what you're saying. He says he couldn't lose it all quickly,  it took time. And be said that he couldn't play these kinds of minutes early (talking about the weight)
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BallySportsSW/status...9270648832

Boban shouldn´t be an option. Failed when the Mavs really needed him. I expected more from the highest paid janitor in the league.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
As for Luka on his conditioning, the ESPN broadcast reported that Luka now has his own chef. That sounds like a man serious about better nutrition and therefore energy, health and body efficiency. 

That is part of Luka’s actions which do reflect his words. I still hate using the W word. It comes way to close to disrespecting our own Superstar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReunionMav's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 09:34 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Luka's quote says the opposite of what you're saying. He says he couldn't lose it all quickly,  it took time. And be said that he couldn't play these kinds of minutes early (talking about the weight)

He fixed this small issue. I agree. Luka also states this. The big issue was injury, as also stated by Luka before. It was not long ago he was called fat by so many on this forum. You don't go fat to fit in few weeks time, its that simple. I think people that heavily criticised Luka should accept that this was a small issue and that this was way overblown by them. The big issue was Lukas injury and he did address that in many interviews how much problems that has been causing to him, he stated that a lot more, so this was clearly the major reason for some "struggles" if you can call that going 25-8-8... How about mentioning the injury as a reason? But no - he was called "fat". The second big issue was that he was overworked from not having a summer off. These two things were major issues, but looking at him play even early in season it was obvious he was the best Luka to date, when he was not limping, and not overused in games. Wrongly he was also stated as terrible defender by some in here, when now we clearly see the reason was the injury, he plays elite defense.

This is obvious now that this was completely overblown. Small issue yes as stated also by Luka, but the big issue was the injury - also stated much more by Luka multiple times before.

This is the best Luka ever. He is stronger, fitter, smarter, and takes better decisions.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:10 AM)ReunionMav Wrote: As for Luka on his conditioning, the ESPN broadcast reported that Luka now has his own chef.

Luka had his own chef (at least) two years ago already
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:26 AM)burekemde Wrote: He fixed this small issue. I agree. Luka also states this. The big issue was injury, as also stated by Luka before. It was not long ago he was called fat by so many on this forum. You don't go fat to fit in few weeks time, its that simple. I think people that heavily criticised Luka should accept that this was a small issue and that this was way overblown by them. The big issue was Lukas injury and he did address that in many interviews how much problems that has been causing to him, he stated that a lot more, so this was clearly the major reason for some "struggles" if you can call that going 25-8-8... How about mentioning the injury as a reason? But no - he was called "fat". The second big issue was that he was overworked from not having a summer off. These two things were major issues, but looking at him play even early in season it was obvious he was the best Luka to date, when he was not limping, and not overused in games. Wrongly he was also stated as terrible defender by some in here, when now we clearly see the reason was the injury, he plays elite defense.

This is obvious now that this was completely overblown. Small issue yes as stated also by Luka, but the big issue was the injury - also stated much more by Luka multiple times before.

This is the best Luka ever. He is stronger, fitter, smarter, and takes better decisions.

You're just not going to give this up are you.  The man just said all you need to hear on this issue.  I've not been involved in this debate at all, but if you don't think people recognize that you are just building a straw man (everyone called him fat) to make yourself feel better, you are mistaken.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Arioch, Kammrath, KillerLeft, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:26 AM)burekemde Wrote: You don't go fat to fit in few weeks time, its that simple.

Nobody is using the word "fat" (today, at least). 

He said "when the season started." That's way, way more than a "few weeks time."
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:36 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You're just not going to give this up are you.  The man just said all you need to hear on this issue.  I've not been involved in this debate at all, but if you don't think people recognize that you are just building a straw man (everyone called him fat) to make yourself feel better, you are mistaken.

This comment is on a personal level, therefore I will not comment this further.

I was debating the statement (made by many) that "Luka was fat", and that this statement is overblown, as there is no logical explanation in that he could in matter of weeks rise to his best ever level. Hence, he was not fat. It was a minor issue with weight at best - that seems fixed easily. The big issue clearly was injury, Luka said himself that this prevented him.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:44 AM)burekemde Wrote: as  there is no logical explanation in that he could in matter of weeks rise to his best ever level.

15 weeks is a looooong time, man.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:38 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nobody is using the word "fat" (today, at least). 

He said "when the season started." That's way, way more than a "few weeks time."

Luka was called fat by many on this forum and around the league.

After his injury ended, magically he is at his top shape. I think this is plenty of evidence enough to state that most likely the major issue was injury related. And that the minor issue was weight related. Luka agrees to that, and he stated this both for the injury and the weight.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:48 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: 15 weeks is a looooong time, man.

A few weeks ago he was called fat. By many in here as well as in media. Not 15 weeks ago. Magically after his injury ended, he plays at his best ever level. Coincidence? I don't think so. Luka stated himself that the injury was what prevented him.

I fully agree that he needed to play himself in shape through the season. All other seasons was the same story. He had no offseason - this is exactly what Luka refers to. This was minor issue. The big issue, was the ankle injury. He was never fat however, and is not fat.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:54 AM)burekemde Wrote: A few weeks ago he was called fat. By many in here as well as in media. Not 15 weeks ago.

Meh, I think it's pretty established that everyone, even the most harsh criticizers of his conditioning, agreed that it was improving over the course of the season. 

I think you're arguing things that aren't really involved in the debate. 

I think the injury WAS significant, but I think part of the cause of the injury was trying to do things on the court while carrying too much weight. Like I said before, both issues were problems (we can debate the extent of each all we want) and both worked together to create a perfect storm of difficulty.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:10 AM)ReunionMav Wrote: As for Luka on his conditioning, the ESPN broadcast reported that Luka now has his own chef. That sounds like a man serious about better nutrition and therefore energy, health and body efficiency. 

That is part of Luka’s actions which do reflect his words. I still hate using the W word. It comes way to close to disrespecting our own Superstar.

I would not be surprised that is a team hired chef on behalf of Luka. I remember during Luka's rookie year a reporter asked what has been the hardest thing since coming to the NBA and Luka said the food. He elaborated a bit and he said american food isn't really good and all he'd been eating is bolognese with Poli (I think that's a company from Spain) ground meat. Not necessarily the healthiest thing.

Edit: He did shout out Nick and Sam's though as the place he'd been eating at the most!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-05-2022, 11:54 AM)burekemde Wrote: I fully agree that he needed to play himself in shape through the season. All other seasons was the same story.

And this is the point that some were trying to make. This is just not something that can often be said about guys like Lebron, Chris Paul, Kawhi Leonard, KD, Paul George, etc. 

Was it overblown by some? Absolutely, imo, but it's not nothing, or even minor, really. Luka does need to learn to be better about this in order to take his spot among the all time greats. I think he will. By the time he's 28, I doubt we'll even remember this argument.
Like Reply