Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2021-2022 ROSTER TALK: [ARCHIVED]
(01-13-2022, 05:19 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: At the beginning of the Laura Gunn sounder he says...If Dragic were to get to the Mavs, DFS is a name I've heard come up a lot.

Wait... what? Is that implying a direct trade or something else? I feel like I'm missing some major context.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:19 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: At the beginning of the Laura Gunn sounder he says...If Dragic were to get to the Mavs, DFS is a name I've heard come up a lot.

Aw. Hell. No.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
I can't see DFS traded but if he were to go, then everyone but Luka is available imo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypermav's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:19 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If Dragic were to get to the Mavs, DFS is a name I've heard come up a lot.

About a year ago I dreamed about simple Dragic trade conversations evolving and expanding to turn into Siakam for KP at the heart. AND Fischer said Chris Boucher is available via trade....
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:22 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I can't see DFS traded but if he were to go, then everyone but Luka is available imo.

They've put together some synergy (at least until last night's hiccup). I would like to see what this team could do with some more reps - preferably with the addition of whatever we could get back for KP.
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:22 PM)Hypermav Wrote: I can't see DFS traded but if he were to go, then everyone but Luka is available imo.

right
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply

Listening to that again, my read is she missed the beginning of the Dragic thought. Then the DFS thought was the beginning of a new sentence, unconnected to Dragic.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth, sterlingmallory, Tyler
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:26 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Listening to that again, my read is she missed the beginning of the Dragic thought. Then the DFS thought was the beginning of a new sentence, unconnected to Dragic.

This exactly. I never got the impression they were implying a dragic for dfs trade was possible. Just two unconnected thoughts. One saying the Mavs still want Dragic, I would assume likely through a buyout, and another saying he has heard Dorian's name come up a lot.
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:24 PM)Kammrath Wrote: About a year ago I dreamed about simple Dragic trade conversations evolving and expanding to turn into Siakam for KP at the heart. AND Fischer said Chris Boucher is available via trade....

Toronto did something similar with the way they brought in Trent Jr. and his Bird rights at the TDL last year.  

You can do KP/DFS/WCS/Burke for Siakam, Dragic and Boucher and get your 4 for 3 to retain Chriss.  It puts us under, but really tight to the LT.  I'm not sure the trade checkers are capturing all of the nuances of team expenses right now.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath, Tyler
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No, why? Sorry, I don't get the joke.

as in Townsend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:38 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Toronto did something similar with the way they brought in Trent Jr. and his Bird rights at the TDL last year.  

You can do KP/DFS/WCS/Burke for Siakam, Dragic and Boucher and get your 4 for 3 to retain Chriss.  It puts us under, but really tight to the LT.  I'm not sure the trade checkers are capturing all of the nuances of team expenses right now.

I still think that's a poor deal in terms of adequate return for DFS. If it were KP/DFS/Powell/WCS, then that would be more tolerable, presuming 1) Siakam is healthy, 2) the Mavs send no picks (KP for Siakim is a fair deal by itself), 3) the Mavs can somehow flip THJ for Turner, and 4) Brunson is re-signed (either by extension if legal now, or by under-the table handshake now) *this* year so there's no offseason drama.

Luka/Dragic/Brunson/Burke
Brunson/Green/Smokes/SBrown
Bullock/Green/Siakam
Siakam/Maxi/Chriss
Turner/Boucher/Bobi
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 05:38 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: You can do KP/DFS/WCS/Burke for Siakam, Dragic and Boucher and get your 4 for 3 to retain Chriss.  It puts us under, but really tight to the LT.

Interesting. Make it KP/DFS/Powell/Burke and it's not only a lot less tight this year but also creates more cap flexibility next year to keep Brunson.
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, Jmaciscool, Kammrath
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 06:05 PM)Tyler Wrote: Interesting. Make it KP/DFS/Powell/Burke and it's not only a lot less tight this year but also creates more cap flexibility next year to keep Brunson.

Prolly need to send out Brunson to get Turner, and he is more expendable now that you have your secondary creator (Siakim) and your backup point (Dragic).
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 06:14 PM)mvossman Wrote: Prolly need to send out Brunson to get Turner, and he is more expendable not that you have your secondary creator (Siakim) and your backup point (Dragic).

You had to bring up the one thing that would be almost as bad as DFS for Turner. While DFS has more value to the Mavs long-term, Brunson has more leaguewide value. Nope. Indy can have THJ and a first rounder before I give them Brunson or Green.
Like Reply
If we can keep 1 of Maxi or DFS, it would be GREAT! If not, hopefully we bring back what we need to at least partially fill in that hole.
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 06:18 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If we can keep 1 of Maxi or DFS, it would be GREAT!

We can! We can keep BOTH, actually! HUZZAH!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 06:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: We can! We can keep BOTH, actually! HUZZAH!!!
Wah, wah, waaaaaaaaahhhhhhh.
Like Reply
IMO THJ, KP, Powell are the players to move. These are the players that are not a fit with our scheme at the moment. THJ can be a fit when his shots go in, but he is too inconsistent for a deep playoff run and I dont trust him to perform well consistently. 

Luka and Brunson are stars with special skills that fit excellent each other, must keep players, and consistent. Maxi and DFS are great teamplayers that are excellent with Luka and Brunson, and should be kept. They are consistent enough to be trusted for a deep playoff run. They do so many small valuable things you dont see on stat sheets.

We need to trade the inconsistent players, that are not a fit with Luka and upgrade with better talent and that fits more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-13-2022, 06:25 PM)burekemde Wrote: IMO THJ, KP, Powell are the players to move. These are the players that are not a fit with our scheme at the moment. THJ can be a fit when his shots go in, but he is too inconsistent for a deep playoff run and I dont trust him to perform well consistently. 

Luka and Brunson are stars with special skills that fit excellent each other, must keep players, and consistent. Maxi and DFS are great teamplayers that are excellent with Luka and Brunson, and should be kept. They are consistent enough to be trusted for a deep playoff run. They do so many small valuable things you dont see on stat sheets.

We need to trade the inconsistent players, that are not a fit with Luka and upgrade with better talent and that fits more.

Thing is that the rest of the league knows that as well. Mavs have to give up something nice to get something nice.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I'm out on all this talk of DFS and Maxi trading.  Lets find a third team (charlotte) and do an effective swap KP for Turner (and prolly Lamb for salary matching).  Turner and two defensive wings (DFS and Bullock) allows us to have a plus defense while starting Luka and Brunson.  That also drops payroll by 16 mil, which gets us most of the way to avoiding tax and still signing DFS and Brunson.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply