Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMMER LEAGUE: TT out w/ groin strain | JG not playing | Mavs go 1-4
(08-11-2021, 10:06 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I thought he already did get it.

Just a summer league/camp contract I am pretty sure.
Like Reply
I like Franks more Omuruyi. Small ball bigman who can stretch the floor a little.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:02 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Hinton is awful...the other players in Vegas have to be wondering how this guy got a 2-way contract that they're all fighting for

6´5 wing that averaged 2ast in college being forced to play full time PG. Set up to fail. He should be the one in the corner or cutting to the basket. Not the primary ballhandler.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:25 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 6´5 wing that averaged 2ast in college being forced to play full time PG. Set up to fail. He should be the one in the corner or cutting to the basket. Not the primary ballhandler.

For a team desperate for a backup point guard, you would think they get one for summer league.  They need to sign DSG or Frank or both.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:36 PM)mvossman Wrote: For a team desperate for a backup point guard, you would think they get one for summer league.  They need to sign DSG or Frank or both.

Problem with Ntilikina is that he played for France in the Olympics, but DSJ should be willing to go out there. Maybe the Terry injury creates that opening.
Like Reply
Frank averaged .6 assists last year.  His high is 3.2 his rookie season when he played almost 22mpg.  He is not the answer.  Dennis isn't great either in that regard but is easily ahead of Frank.
Like Reply
Terry hasn't been great but at least you see the potential flash and he is still scoring against this level of competition. Hinton can't even get double digits here...he has been outplayed in 2 games by the opposing team's 2-way players (Rayjon Tucker on Philly and Trent Forrest on Utah)

Summer league is essentially drafted rookies and 2nd year players + G-League fodder, you need to be able to show that you can put up some points if you want to have any chance at sticking in the NBA. Especially if you've already been with an NBA team for a season.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1425661997929037824
Like Reply
I´ll say this the OT rule is stupid, even if it is just SummerLeague. First to score? Play one minute or make it five points, but one score. That´s dumb.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • DallasBasketball
Like Reply
Hopefully Tyrell Terry is ok.  He's shown some flashes during the summer league.  Eugene Omoruyi needs to be signed as a 2 way player.  I like Hinton as a cheerleader, seems to be a good guy, but he hasn't shown anything to me.  Robert Franks could easily take his spot.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:14 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: Hopefully Tyrell Terry is ok.  He's shown some flashes during the summer league.  Eugene Omoruyi needs to be signed as a 2 way player.  I like Hinton as a cheerleader, seems to be a good guy, but he hasn't shown anything to me.  Robert Franks could easily take his spot.

We should be looking at other SL Teams for 2 way players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:14 PM)cow Wrote: We should be looking at other SL Teams for 2 way players.

I agree.  Last year, Hinton and Bey were our 2 way players.  Bey is already gone.  Hinton hasn't done anything to impress me.  But if we're focusing on our players...Omoruyi and Franks have clearly stood out.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:21 PM)Mavs03 Wrote: I agree.  Last year, Hinton and Bey were our 2 way players.  Bey is already gone.  Hinton hasn't done anything to impress me.  But if we're focusing on our players...Omoruyi and Franks have clearly stood out.

Gelo has been miles more impressive than any of our guys.  I'm not sure if I should laugh, cry or smile about that.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 10:44 PM)cow Wrote: Frank averaged .6 assists last year.  His high is 3.2 his rookie season when he played almost 22mpg.  He is not the answer.  Dennis isn't great either in that regard but is easily ahead of Frank.

Frank barely played last year, so that is a little misleading.  In his first 3 years he hovered around 3 assists and a little over one turnover in 21 minutes a game.  Not much different from what you got from DSJ his last two years.  It is also interesting that Frank got more run than DSJ when they both were in NY.

DSJ did look better in Detroit.  I would probably lean towards him of the two, especially because he is not complete shit show on offense and his defense seems to have improved.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:24 PM)mvossman Wrote: Frank barely played last year, so that is a little misleading.  In his first 3 years he hovered around 3 assists and a little over one turnover in 21 minutes a game.  Not much different from what you got from DSJ his last two years.  It is also interesting that Frank got more run than DSJ when they both were in NY.

DSJ did look better in Detroit.  I would probably lean towards him of the two, especially because he is not complete shit show on offense and his defense seems to have improved.

If we look at assist per minute, 9 minutes at .6 assists is still well below his career average during his rookie campaign.  His defense would probably be welcomed but he doesn't solve the issues the Mavs currently have.
Like Reply
(08-11-2021, 11:26 PM)cow Wrote: If we look at assist per minute, 9 minutes at .6 assists is still well below his career average during his rookie campaign.  His defense would probably be welcomed but he doesn't solve the issues the Mavs currently have.

I mean it was like 30 games at 9 per.  That is a small sample.  Hell if we are going off that sample, he was a 48% 3 point shooter, so lets bring him in as elite 3&D guy.  I'm going to trust the 180 games at 21 per of the previous 3 years as more indicative of who he is.  

I agree DSJ fits what we currently need more, but I can't help feel like Frank has higher upside.  If he could ever figure out that shot he would be a very good 3&D guy and a better playmaker than any of the 3&D guys we have now.
Like Reply
Out of the two, Eugene could play in the league now. Has good awareness, plays hard, has the body and does all the little things. The ball just seems to find him. Like a slightly bigger Jae.
Like Reply
I have not watched many games of thr NY Knicks. But whenever I watched them against the Mavs, Frank N. seems to defend Luka very well. And, I think he even shoots a decent clip from three against the Mavs. I think a flier on him will be interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RedFlag41's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
I am a Hinton fan, but his play has not been good so far.   To make it simple, he needs to be better on offense in the summer league environment.   He also needs to be a good open three point shooter.  If he is not, he has no chance.    His college percentages were solid.   I also think his defense has not been great.  He is competing hard, but I would say his defense has been average.   Hinton is a glue type player so how he would play in the NBA is different than how he would play in the summer league.   But to have a chance, he needs to shine in the summer league games more.

It is too bad Terry got hurt.  Hopefully he can play the next game.  If not, that would mean he got dinged up in the G-league bubble and now summer league.   Whatever positives he does on offense, I just wonder how his body is going to hold up and how he is going to be able to guard anyone in the NBA.   He is going to need a lot of time imo.

I saw some flashes with Onu.   He is really raw and he is going to be overwhelmed playing this competition level after playing four years at a really low competition level.   So right now you just want to see small flashes.   He is also a very far way away, but I think he should be getting a lot of minutes.   It sucks that Owens got hurt, but to be honest Onu is the more important long range developmental project.
Like Reply
(08-12-2021, 02:57 AM)RedFlag41 Wrote: I have not watched many games of thr NY Knicks. But whenever I watched them against the Mavs, Frank N. seems to defend Luka very well. And, I think he even shoots a decent clip from three against the Mavs. I think a flier on him will be interesting.

I don't know if Frank N is a diamond waiting to be claimed or completely overhyped. 

I DO know that Luka is one of the few players who make it ok for your PG-sized guy to be not so great of a PG. If he can catch and shoot and play D, he'd fit here. 

Now...that WOULD narrow down the options as to where in the lineup you can put other offensively skilled additions. They can't ALL be off-ball players exclusively. But, technically, a PG like that could work here with the right mix.
Like Reply