Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2024 Playoffs- 2nd Round: Oklahoma City Thunder - Dallas Mavericks- MAVS WIN 4-2!
Iztok and Mike on game 3.

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/178964...69699?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

We have much bigger things to worry about and it really doesn’t matter but I wonder if the mavs have 4 players in their top 100 list next time they do it. They had two previously with Kyrie being in the high 30’s. Pj and a lively should be on it right? lively for upside as the backend of the top 100 are a lot of young players. I think Cason Wallace and the Jazz center were on the list. Again, doesn’t matter but I just wonder where we fall on their next list.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(05-11-2024, 06:02 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://www.landofbasketball.com/statist...es_2_1.htm

Gotta feel pretty good about the odds, right about now.

I’m actually glad game 3 wasn’t a blowout. Keeps the Mavs from getting complacent.

This data almost makes it feel like home court is a disadvantage unless you go to seven games.

Our SOP seems to be go steal a game on the road.  That is just crushing to the team with Home Court Advantage.  If you get game 3 and one of either 4 or 5, you can close it out at home in game 6.  It is playing with fire if you don't get game four because the advantage gained from stealing one on the road is lost.  Hopefully that doesn't happen again this time.

I almost did a pre-series post to say that I thought this series would come down to the best "Josh".  I thought our Josh and Lively were the biggest keys to our 16-0 run yesterday after giving up 10 straight to start the second half.  One of the other had made a contribution to everything that happened during that run.  Our Josh is 7/18 from three in this series (39%).  Their Josh is 1/8 from 3.  Our (bench) Josh is averaging 18.7 minutes.  Their (starter) Josh has been limited to 13.7 minutes per game.  Their Josh has been negative in all three games.  Our Josh has been +9 and +15 in the two wins.

I realize others are contributing much more.  But, in a game of inches, every inch matters.  To the extent the stars offset each other, Josh vs. Josh is an important inch.  

PJ has also been an important inch (maybe a foot), but we've also given ground with the loss of Maxi.  He would have been incredibly helpful yesterday.

Welcome back Tim Hardaway.  I like that he's working the midrange game and getting to the basket.  For the most part he's taking what the game gives him and not shot-hunting as he so often does.  And, he's playing real D.  Not the "Hardaway Waive" that he so often does.

If Lively looks scared and Josh/Tim aren't hitting, we are in trouble with a sub-standard version of Luka.  If the three of them play up to their ability, we can overcome the loss of Maxi (unless Luka's injuries take an even bigger toll on his game).
Like Reply
Dereck Lively II Muse @DL2Muse
This time last year we were stressed about whether we were going to keep our draft pick or send it to New York.

This year we’re stressed about an upcoming Game 4 against a 1 seed that we’re up 2-1 on in the 2nd round, in part due to the stellar play of that draft pick.

Funny.

[Image: GNYx-2CXYAAOZ5_?format=jpg&name=large]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
huge game tonight. I expect a good game from OKC. Mavs can't let up at all.
Like Reply
Anyone near Lively's age still playing in the playoffs. Amazing how much is being asked of a 20 year old. Such valuable experience.

Peyton Watson is 21. He had a good year but has lost minutes in the Minny series. I guess the only true guys are Chet (22), Cason Wallace (20), Giddey (21), and Jaylin Williams (21)
Like Reply
Wow, Giddey is only 21, I thought he was older. The series is on the line for OKC, so I expect their best punch from them. Mavs on the other hand breath a bit more easily. Still, Mavs will prevail in this one too. Mavs in 6!
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • fifteenth, Lukedoncic, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 08:59 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow, Giddey is only 21, I thought he was older. The series is on the line for OKC, so I expect their best punch from them. Mavs on the other hand breath a bit more easily. Still, Mavs will prevail in this one too. Mavs in 6!

Me too.   He has really struggled the first 3 games and appears to be the man on the outside moving forward.   I still think he can be really good.   Maybe slightly below all star.   If I was a dreg of the league, I would look to go after him.   I wonder if OKC would take a top 5 pick for Giddey and their pick?

I hope you are right tonight.  I am not as optimistic.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 09:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Me too.   He has really struggled the first 3 games and appears to be the man on the outside moving forward.   I still think he can be really good.   Maybe slightly below all star.   If I was a dreg of the league, I would look to go after him.   I wonder if OKC would take a top 5 pick for Giddey and their pick?

Giddey is decent when he commands the ball. I think OKC will trade him for a good/great big wing. Washington (Kuzma) or Utah (Markanen) could be interesting situations for him and have wings that could interest OKC. Perhaps Portland (Grant).
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 08:59 AM)omahen Wrote: Wow, Giddey is only 21, I thought he was older. The series is on the line for OKC, so I expect their best punch from them. Mavs on the other hand breath a bit more easily. Still, Mavs will prevail in this one too. Mavs in 6!

IMO, the stakes are so high this could really turn into a Wrestlemania episode. If the refs continue to allow the agressiveness shown in games 1-3, then I think OKC will contiue to turn it up and see how much they get away with. I'm not sure how this is helping grow the brand though.

If OKC responds to PJ's continued success by staying home, it could open things up for Luka and/or Kyrie and the PnR game.

If the league office tells the crew to clean it up, it could be a Mavs runaway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 09:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Me too.   He has really struggled the first 3 games and appears to be the man on the outside moving forward.   I still think he can be really good.   Maybe slightly below all star.   If I was a dreg of the league, I would look to go after him.   I wonder if OKC would take a top 5 pick for Giddey and their pick?

Giddey is definitely going to be their main piece in a trade for a disgruntled star. Only question is will Giddey learn to shoot or will his value torpedo? Because his rookie extension is about to come up and at that point a lot of his value relies on being a great player on not a big contract.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 09:38 AM)michaeltex Wrote: IMO, the stakes are so high this could really turn into a Wrestlemania episode. If the refs continue to allow the agressiveness shown in games 1-3, then I think OKC will contiue to turn it up and see how much they get away with. I'm not sure how this is helping grow the brand though.

If OKC responds to PJ's continued success by staying home, it could open things up for Luka and/or Kyrie and the PnR game.

If the league office tells the crew to clean it up, it could be a Mavs runaway.

I think the Mavs need/want the physicality. OKC and their foul baiters love FTs. Hopefully we can keep being physical and no lines are crossed for either side, it'll play to the Mavs benefit.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Mavs2021, rocky164
Like Reply
this series is going the same trajectory as the clippers series, mavs in 6.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukaMVP's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Any extra motivation for Luka to see his former running mate having the greatest individual playoff run in NBA history? Luka already is locked in a struggle that will define whether he or SGA is considered the preeminent point guard of this generation. To add fuel to the fire, a Luka loss in this series while the injury plagued and banged up Brunson advances behind an epic string of 40 point games will knock Luka down to third in the point guard pecking order next season. Hopefully, Luka takes it personally, like Jordan did with Drexler or Hakeem did with Robinson and we finally get a couple of whine free Luka Specials and he puts his rivals in their place.
Like Reply
(05-14-2024, 11:23 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Any extra motivation for Luka to see his former running mate having the greatest individual playoff run in NBA history?  Luka already is locked in a struggle that will define whether he or SGA is considered the preeminent point guard of this generation. To add fuel to the fire, a Luka loss in this series while the injury plagued and banged up Brunson advances behind an epic string of 40 point games will knock Luka down to third in the point guard pecking order next season. Hopefully, Luka takes it personally, like Jordan did with Drexler or Hakeem did with Robinson and we finally get a couple of whine free Luka Specials and he puts his rivals in their place.

I'm sorry, but are you saying Brunson is having the single greatest individual post season run of all time? That's a wild take. He wouldn't even be considered as eligible for such a thing unless he wins the title this year and that's not happening. Also Brunson is not going to be ranked ahead of Luka regardless of what happens this post season. That's an overreaction to Luka sucking this post season. That's too much recency bias imo. I do think SGA is going to be viewed better than Luka even if we win this series and he's earned that. It's up to Luka to earn his respect back, so to speak.
[-] The following 2 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
I agree with BigDirk41. Brunson is impressive but this is going to age similarly to Trae Young's postseason run a couple of years back. Now he is a one-dimensional guard who can not defend again. Brunson is OBVIOUSLY nowhere close to being a generational talent. He is a great player, don't get me wrong and yes, I am salty that we lost him, but he has peaked on an all-star-level.
[-] The following 1 user Likes meistermatze's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 12:12 AM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I'm sorry, but are you saying Brunson is having the single greatest individual post season run of all time? That's a wild take. He wouldn't even be considered as eligible for such a thing unless he wins the title this year and that's not happening. Also Brunson is not going to be ranked ahead of Luka regardless of what happens this post season. That's an overreaction to Luka sucking this post season. That's too much recency bias imo. I do think SGA is going to be viewed better than Luka even if we win this series and he's earned that. It's up to Luka to earn his respect back, so to speak.

I get the saltiness, but I wouldn't put it past Brunson to lead the Knicks to a title this year. Likely? No, of course not. Possible? Absolutely. He's got that heart.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 09:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think the Mavs need/want the physicality. OKC and their foul baiters love FTs. Hopefully we can keep being physical and no lines are crossed for either side, it'll play to the Mavs benefit.

I think the Thunder have crossed the line repeatedly.  I'm fairly objective on this series as I placed a bet during the preseason for the Thunder to win the championship.  Although I'm a Mavs fan, I'm also a Thunder fan this season. 

I still think the Thunder have made multiple attempts to injure Luka.  There have been multiple trips from behind while he was running the ball up the court including the one that loosened his tooth.  That was Dort running into his legs and was not accidental.  Dort was not looking away when he ran through Luka.  This is not something that happens regularly in NBA games.  During game 4, JDub crashed into Luka from the side during a "reach".  He came at an angle where Luka didn't see him coming and knocked Luka over.  It wasn't an attempt to get the ball as he had no chance of actually stealing possession.   It was rather a dirty play meant to knock Luka over.   These should have all been called as flagrant fouls.  

Similar attempts occurred multiple times during the Clippers series.  These dirty takedowns have invariably been against Luka.  

I've watched a lot of playoff basketball and Jayson Tatum, SGA and Anthony Edwards are not being hit in this way.  For some reason, the league is permitting some dangerous plays against Luka.  Even Kyrie isn't being attacked in this same way.  Really, none of the other Mavs are. 

I don't think Mark Daigneault has suggested this explicitly except by telling Lu Dort and Cason Wallace to "be physical" with Luka.  

I do think there's some discussion among opposing players though that they'd like to be the one who takes Luka out of the playoffs.  I don't recall any similar blatant targeting in the modern NBA except against Luka.  I think a lot of opposing players really hate the guy.  I think they also are embracing a smart strategy.  A Luka high-ankle sprain likely takes the Mavs out of the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 05:09 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think the Thunder have crossed the line repeatedly.  I'm fairly objective on this series as I placed a bet during the preseason for the Thunder to win the championship.  Although I'm a Mavs fan, I'm also a Thunder fan this season. 

I still think the Thunder have made multiple attempts to injure Luka.  There have been multiple trips from behind while he was running the ball up the court including the one that loosened his tooth.  That was Dort running into his legs and was not accidental.  Dort was not looking away when he ran through Luka.  This is not something that happens regularly in NBA games.  During game 4, JDub crashed into Luka from the side during a "reach".  He came at an angle where Luka didn't see him coming and knocked Luka over.  It wasn't an attempt to get the ball as he had no chance of actually stealing possession.   It was rather a dirty play meant to knock Luka over.   These should have all been called as flagrant fouls.  

Similar attempts occurred multiple times during the Clippers series.  These dirty takedowns have invariably been against Luka.  

I've watched a lot of playoff basketball and Jayson Tatum, SGA and Anthony Edwards are not being hit in this way.  For some reason, the league is permitting some dangerous plays against Luka.  Even Kyrie isn't being attacked in this same way.  Really, none of the other Mavs are. 

I don't think Mark Daigneault has suggested this explicitly except by telling Lu Dort and Cason Wallace to "be physical" with Luka.  

I do think there's some discussion among opposing players though that they'd like to be the one who takes Luka out of the playoffs.  I don't recall any similar blatant targeting in the modern NBA except against Luka.  I think a lot of opposing players really hate the guy.  I think they also are embracing a smart strategy.  A Luka high-ankle sprain likely takes the Mavs out of the playoffs.

During a televised time out OKC coach yelled to his players “more collisions’. No one commented but I agree with you that what we are seeing is very purposeful and is likely coming from their coach of the year. Of course maybe it’s not just referees that some hate Luka. We can speculate as to why but then some people just hate Dallas or Cuban. Hopefully the NBA office is as aware of this as they were for needed defense refereeing changes.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 06:09 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: During a televised time out OKC coach yelled to his players “more collisions’. No one commented but I agree with you that what we are seeing is very purposeful and is likely coming from their coach of the year. Of course maybe it’s not just referees that some hate Luka. We can speculate as to why but then some people just hate Dallas or Cuban. Hopefully the NBA office is as aware of this as they were for needed defense refereeing changes.

We might be able to tell tonight if excessive stuff starts sending Luka to the line.
Like Reply
(05-15-2024, 06:09 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: During a televised time out OKC coach yelled to his players “more collisions’. No one commented but I agree with you that what we are seeing is very purposeful and is likely coming from their coach of the year. Of course maybe it’s not just referees that some hate Luka. We can speculate as to why but then some people just hate Dallas or Cuban. Hopefully the NBA office is as aware of this as they were for needed defense refereeing changes.

If I remember it correctly Daigneault was complaining about screens. Wasn't happy with the lack of contact and the inabilty to create space for their ballhandlers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply