Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Sexton On the Market? | ORL Likes Hartenstein?
(05-26-2024, 04:07 AM)omahen Wrote: Utah also has #29. Mavs can't trade 2025 pick on draft night unless they get 2024 FRP back. If they don't get the 2024 FRP, they could agree behind closed door that the team is drafting for Mavs and then actually trade the rookie in July. But I don't think these kind of moves ever happen.

Edit: are you sure that OKC deal with Bertans wasn't finalized until July? Because that would also mean, that on draft night, Sacramento was sending Holmes into TE that was not there yet until July. What if the OKC-Mavs deal would go sour for whatever reason? If teams are ok doing such deals, that opens up a lot of possibilities

Yes, it was completed July 6th.  OKC didn’t have cap room to take Bertans until the new season.  It would be exactly the same as the Utah idea except the picks are in different drafts.  Since the trade wouldn’t be final until after the draft, there wouldn’t be any restriction on trading the 2025 pick.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I´m honestly not worried about re-signing DJJ as long as he´s in the MLE range. They´ll make that work. If he gets offered more we are done. The question is whether they can make any moves to improve the roster besides retaining the current players.  Something like Dwight Powell for Jalen Smith, who seems to be in the Carlisle doghouse and has some player option leverage. At 24 he´s perfectly lined-up with our core and he gives us that outside dimension that Gafford/Lively (currently) cannot. Plus more young players  means more re-trade value to maybe acquire that reliable 3rd 20 PPG scorer.
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 10:34 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Yes, it was completed July 6th.  OKC didn’t have cap room to take Bertans until the new season.  It would be exactly the same as the Utah idea except the picks are in different drafts.  Since the trade wouldn’t be final until after the draft, there wouldn’t be any restriction on trading the 2025 pick.

In that case Utah is certainly a viable option. They have 29 and 32 depending on if Mavs like something in this year draft. San Antonio is next with #35 and #48. Rest of late firsts or high seconds are on teams that are unlikely to have cap space. Mavs would get a nice TE and they could use part of it, depending on the other moves and on how much is left after they resign DJJ. Perhaps some team would value shedding a useful 5 mil or so player (or demand less compensation)

As Mavs I would definitely bet on myself that 2025 pick would be around #25. The trade partner would be betting that something goes wrong for Mavs and pick ends up much better for them.
Like Reply
@esidery
The Suns are hoping to pursue LeBron James this offseason, which is why Bronny James is a very serious draft option at No. 22 overall to potentially lure him in.

Phoenix appears to believe they can convince LeBron to join forces with Kevin Durant, Devin Booker and Bradley Beal to create a historic superteam.

LeBron would be sacrificing almost $50 million next season, if he were to legitimately consider joining the Suns on a veteran’s minimum contract.

Could the Suns really be plotting LeBron and Bronny as their big plan? It certainly seems that’s on the table.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Collins was a hot topic back when KP was still on the team and didn't want to ever rim run with his glass knees and also before he mangled his finger. He's overpaid but he's one of those shooting big wing lob threats so he would probably be fine here. Jazz supposedly gonna go big fish hunting so maybe at least worth a look to see if the Mavs could jump in on a multiteam deal with THJ's expiring helping someone. Should at least consider it as a backup if DJJ gets Bruce Brown'd if it doesn't cost much more than THJ. Not sure who can start in DJJ's spot though, gotta consider that as well, can PJ play that role? I think OMax has the build for it but obv still needs experience. Green/OMax depending on the matchup? There aren't a ton of super fast guards out there anymore other than like Fox/Ja, Kyrie is on this team so doesn't count.
Like Reply
Collins is a non-idea for the Mavs. PJW is a far better fit, making way less money. JC gets way too much salary for what help he could offer -- absurd salary for a backup. No way they can fit him in, nor would they want to.
[-] The following 4 users Like F Gump's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, omahen, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Well the Mavs are currently up 2-0 in the WCF with an absurd salary on a guy that shouldn't even be in the rotation if Maxi were healthy and is only getting 5 mins even with him out, just sayin. Gotta do something with that expiring money, better start thinking of ideas. Signing DJJ may not be possible even with a shed thj completely at the cost of the 2025 1st.
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 04:36 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Well the Mavs are currently up 2-0 in the WCF with an absurd salary on a guy that shouldn't even be in the rotation if Maxi were healthy and is only getting 5 mins even with him out, just sayin. Gotta do something with that expiring money, better start thinking of ideas. Signing DJJ may not be possible even with a shed thj completely at the cost of the 2025 1st.

I disagree on resigning DJJ. He's already stated in an interview with Cato that his intention is to resign here and the amount of teams with the ability to give him a massive contract are probably more intrigued with a host of other guys first. He also knows what it's like to be on the outside of the league and being a journeyman. He fits well here in Dallas, and that means something. So much so that I think there is weight to him choosing a 1 year slight discount to stay and be rewarded vs. cashing in for a slightly bigger deal where he may look awful on a new team. 

It takes truly special offensive players to hide his weaknesses. He was on Portland at an MLE level contract at the time when Dame and CJ were the backcourt and he looked almost unplayable in the playoffs. It caused him to be shipped to Chicago for an even smaller deal and he looked even more unplayable there. 

I think DJJ realizes that he's better off staying with the only team that makes him look great. So much so that he may be convinced to take a 1 year cheap deal and then be rewarded. 

I've waffled back and forth on this. I can see him wanting to lock in a secured, relatively large, contract this summer. But I can also see him understanding the Mavs cap situation and wants to stay by any means necessary. Even if it means taking a slight discount early.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 04:36 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Well the Mavs are currently up 2-0 in the WCF with an absurd salary on a guy that shouldn't even be in the rotation if Maxi were healthy and is only getting 5 mins even with him out, just sayin. Gotta do something with that expiring money, better start thinking of ideas. Signing DJJ may not be possible even with a shed thj completely at the cost of the 2025 1st.

No argument that THJ is overpaid. But (a) he can't be traded for Collins, and (b) Collins is a bigger, worse salary -- that's going in the exact opposite direction.

THJ at the worst is gone in a year.

The days of taking on BAD salary, to improve a team, those don't work any more (unless you have a very low payroll, which is far from the case with the Mavs). It's a hard cap world now, and when your payroll is full, you're done until you find a way to un-full it.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Jmaciscool, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Keeping rookie scale contracts flowing in as your depth pieces is important as well. dumping the 2025 1st just to get rid of THJ will likely lead to roster issues down the road. Collins maybe too expensive but some other deal(s) that keep the 2025 1st might be the better way to go. Not sure what to think about flipping a 25 for a 24 in a supposedly all time weak draft class.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jakeospikez's post:
  • F Gump, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 04:20 PM)Jakeospikez Wrote: Collins was a hot topic back when KP was still on the team and didn't want to ever rim run with his glass knees and also before he mangled his finger. He's overpaid but he's one of those shooting big wing lob threats so he would probably be fine here. Jazz supposedly gonna go big fish hunting so maybe at least worth a look to see if the Mavs could jump in on a multiteam deal with THJ's expiring helping someone. Should at least consider it as a backup if DJJ gets Bruce Brown'd if it doesn't cost much more than THJ. Not sure who can start in DJJ's spot though, gotta consider that as well, can PJ play that role? I think OMax has the build for it but obv still needs experience. Green/OMax depending on the matchup? There aren't a ton of super fast guards out there anymore other than like Fox/Ja, Kyrie is on this team so doesn't count.

You are talking about trading for a guy making over 20 that does not belong in our starting lineup. Can’t do that in todays cap world. 

Plus, the Bruce brown thing prolly needs to stop. He is a bigger name and basically signed a one year 22 mil contract that guaranteed he would be traded. I can’t think of a better way for DJJ to get back to making the min after one year. That means a 3 for 30 contact would be more lucrative, especially somewhere that maximizes his talents and potentially leads to another non min contract
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 05:25 PM)mvossman Wrote: You are talking about trading for a guy making over 20 that does not belong in our starting lineup. Can’t do that in todays cap world. 

Plus, the Bruce brown thing prolly needs to stop. He is a bigger name and basically signed a one year 22 mil contract that guaranteed he would be traded. I can’t think of a better way for DJJ to get back to making the min after one year. That means a 3 for 30 contact would be more lucrative, especially somewhere that maximizes his talents and potentially leads to another non min contract

I guess I don't understand the Bruce Brown comment.  He signed a 2 year 45 million dollar contract.  That has a team option by 6/28.  There are reports that the Raptors are going to trade him, but I would guess the odds that contract is picked up somehow.   At the worst he made, 22 million last year and then is a free agent and can sign a MLE type contract with a contender.

Or the worst is Toronto or another dreg picking up the contract and he has 45 milllion over 2 years and is a FA next year.  Life changing money for a guy who only had one year with solid pay with Denver.    

I think he is much better off now.   Maybe he passed on the opportunity to repeat but I believe Denver could only offer less than 10 million with a wink wink deal for the following season.   If he is smart, his future generations should be taken care of with probably another solid payday coming up.  

Just my thoughts.
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 06:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I guess I don't understand the Bruce Brown comment.  He signed a 2 year 45 million dollar contract.  That has a team option by 6/28.  There are reports that the Raptors are going to trade him, but I would guess the odds that contract is picked up somehow.   At the worst he made, 22 million last year and then is a free agent and can sign a MLE type contract with a contender.

Or the worst is Toronto or another dreg picking up the contract and he has 45 milllion over 2 years and is a FA next year.  Life changing money for a guy who only had one year with solid pay with Denver.    

I think he is much better off now.   Maybe he passed on the opportunity to repeat but I believe Denver could only offer less than 10 million with a wink wink deal for the following season.   If he is smart, his future generations should be taken care of with probably another solid payday coming up.  

Just my thoughts.

He has already been traded once and he should have been traded at TDL to a team that could use salary relief. He had a terrible season and is not worth near that contract. If his option gets declined like it should have been his value would be much lower than when he signed the year before. I guess DJJ could gamble that he gets traded to a team as dumb as Toronto.

If DJJ plays a season like Bruce just did he would definitely be back to min salary contract like he signed with us. If Bruce is looking at MLE contract after that season then we are looking at apples to oranges to begin with
Like Reply
LeBron joining any team on vet min would be an insult to him, whatever the reason. he may join bronny for less pay someday but not at this time when he thinks he can still contend as the main guy imho.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukaMVP's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
The Clippers are expected to show interest in Kyle Lowry and Chris Paul, per @TheSteinLine

“I nonetheless heard this week that Paul and Kyle Lowry, whose free agency is looming after finishing last season in Philadelphia, are veteran guards said to interest the Clippers ... with a further variable to factor in stemming from Russell Westbrook's still-to-be determined status. Westbrook has a $4 million player option for next season that he must decide on by June 29.”
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 08:35 PM)LukaMVP Wrote: LeBron joining any team on vet min would be an insult to him, whatever the reason. he may join bronny for less pay someday but not at this time when he thinks he can still contend as the main guy imho.

Yeah, the rumor that PHX believes they can convince him to play for the minimum, if true (big if, nowadays) just goes to show how screwed and desperate PHX really is. That's not a plan, that's a hail marry. LeBron James won't play for the minimum. I doubt the players' association would even allow that, frankly.
Like Reply
(05-26-2024, 11:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, the rumor that PHX believes they can convince him to play for the minimum, if true (big if, nowadays) just goes to show how screwed and desperate PHX really is. That's not a plan, that's a hail marry. LeBron James won't play for the minimum. I doubt the players' association would even allow that, frankly.

Also want to know how they can convince him. If LBJ takes the minimum he can pick between 30 teams. Why would he pick the dysfunctional mess in Phoenix. Even if they add LeBron they still don't have any kind of rim protection, perimeter defense or rebounding. Just one more guy that needs the ball in his hands.
Like Reply
^^ This is all hyperbole. LeBron's a$$ ain't going nowhere. He'll bluff he's exploring free agency. But all his other business interests lies in LA.
Like Reply
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/5/27/...-offseason

Sixers can be major players in the FA, trade market.
Like Reply
@esidery
Dorian Finney-Smith is a strong candidate to be traded from the Nets this offseason.

Brooklyn shopped Finney-Smith at the deadline receiving robust interest from contenders.

All of the following teams who reportedly checked in on Finney-Smith could circle back leading up to the draft: Bucks, Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Kings, Lakers, Suns, Thunder.
Like Reply