Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: Sexton On the Market? | ORL Likes Hartenstein?
(05-23-2024, 08:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: We would all prefer it that way but as others mentioned. What do you do if DJJ gets offered more than the taxMLE. You won't be able to bring everyone back and of course most of us would prefer to move on from THJ but that also isn't a given because you need to find a team that can absorb his salary (large parts of it).
I would assume that people in the front office are having the same discussion on a daily basis. Who is the most expendable rotation piece? What is the best way to use the few available assets to keep the core together/improve it? That's where the THJ ideas are coming from. Frome a pure asset management point of view it wouldn't be smart to give up stuff to get rid of him because is contract is going to have more value at the deadline.

This to the point. Just looking at this playoffs and Mavs bench contracts above 10 mil, here is my opinion on the order of importance (from least to most important):
1. THJ - getting less and less minutes. Can only be positive on a great defensive team that needs shooting. Lets not forget, he is not even an elite shooter as he is 35 % from three for the season and 36 % for career. He only provides volume at mediocre accuracy. He is over 30 and he is what he is. My opinion is firm, Mavs would have to pay an asset to someone taking most (or all) of his salary into cap-space. 
2.  Maxi - he is great when available, but unfortunately that is very rare. He played in 37 games last season and in 43 games this one while also missing more than half of playoffs at this point. If someone is willing to bet on him and pay something, I would consider moving him. Its not like Mavs are not surviving without him. Bring a low cost replacement or give his minutes to Omax.
3. Green - young and perhaps still has upside. Current production probably doesn't match his new contract, but someone could see an upside for that to change and pay assets for him. 
4. Gafford - plays considerable and stable role. In principle back-up centres (I would assume he might become a back-up next season already) can be get for low money, but his fit has been so great it would really have to be a great opportunity to consider moving him. If there is a FA centre willing to go to Mavs for far less money than Gafford, why wouldn't the team looking at Gafford just sign that centre instead of trading for Gafford? 

Under assumption that DJJ wants more than tax MLE but not more than the full MLE, my offseason plan would be to check the market if there is anyone willing to pay assets for Maxi or Green (I would also check that for THJ, but I have no hope) to take them into capspace. If not, I am paying someone to take most (or all) of THJ contract into capspace or any combination of THJ/Green/Maxi for a good rotation player saving 10 mil in the process.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 08:43 PM)Smitty Wrote: There are a few posters here, that I consider smart basketball people, that view THJ as a positive. It only takes one GM to think the same. I feel very strongly that THJ will be moved, if needed, to bring DJJ back.

I’ve said over and over that very few players, if any, have went from vet minimum to 14M AAV. I’ll believe it when I see it.

He’s still a 8/3/1 player this year. Career 7/3/1. Of course he’s been a great POA defender and an excellent fit here. He did jump to 10/4/1 so far in the playoffs but I hardly think that screams 4yr-55M to some other team after 1yr-3M.

Related to THJ, only the pool of GMs from teams with capspace are relevant for Mavs. Not many of those around. It also doesn't only take one GM. If there is no competition, why would that one GM pay Mavs for the privilige to take THJ into capspace? Everyone knows:
a) THJ is not in Mavs plans as he is way overpaid for what he provides for Mavs
b) Mavs need to save salary if they want to retain DJJ over the taxMLE salary
c) THJ strength is shooting only but only in volume, as he is not terribly efficient doing it. These kind of players are putting up numbers on bad/average teams, but rarely have a significant role on contenders

Related to DJJ, teams know Mavs can't offer more than MLE and that Mavs are likely to find a way to offer same money up to MLE, which will make DJJ stay with Mavs. So the cleanest path to him for non Mavs teams, if they really want him, is to offer him more than MLE. The advantage is, that only cap space teams can offer more than MLE and most of those teams don't need a player like DJJ. Still, it only takes one Smile Examples of (non rookie contract) players from last summer that got huge increase of salary:
- Bruce Brown went from 6 mil to 20 mil
- Max Strus went from min to approximately 15.5 mil average
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 07:37 AM)omahen Wrote: Related to THJ, only the pool of GMs from teams with capspace are relevant for Mavs. Not many of those around. It also doesn't only take one GM. If there is no competition, why would that one GM pay Mavs for the privilige to take THJ into capspace? Everyone knows:
c) THJ strength is shooting only but only in volume, as he is not terribly efficient doing it. These kind of players are putting up numbers on bad/average teams, but rarely have a significant role on contenders

Related to DJJ, teams know Mavs can't offer more than MLE and that Mavs are likely to find a way to offer same money up to MLE, which will make DJJ stay with Mavs. So the cleanest path to him for non Mavs teams, if they really want him, is to offer him more than MLE. The advantage is, that only cap space teams can offer more than MLE and most of those teams don't need a player like DJJ. Still, it only takes one :) Examples of (non rookie contract) players from last summer that got huge increase of salary:

Yeah, I’m not going to go over the THJ positive and negatives. Plenty of people have covered every angle of that one. 

Thanks for those two names though. I guess I could have done a bit of research instead of just saying a blanket statement like “very few, if any”. 

I did go look at their stats the previous year and salary. Both aren’t in the same boat as DJJ but Brown is a pretty close comp.

In his age 26 season he went from a career 9/5/2 to 11.5/4/3.4 on a championship team. Playoffs 12/4/2. His defense being his calling card like DJJ.

After his rookie contract was up, he signed a 1 year QO with BKN and then a 2 year TPMLE with Denver. Opted out of the 6M PO and struck gold when Indy paid him basically 1 year 22M to steal him away from the Champs.

Again, not the same situation. Never a vet min player and arguably a much better 2-way player on a championship team. But close enough to have some concern if the Mavs win the ship. 

We can all worry about that in the offseason though. I trust Nico and Lindsey will figure it out. I personally would be more concerned if he had a career year or something but he’s basically doing what he’s always done. Just that he’s exactly what this team was missing.

Edit: Per 36:
Last year: 12.9 pts | 6.2 rbs | 1.4 ast | 1.2 stl | 1.5 blk
This year: 13.3 pts | 5.0 rbs | 1.5 ast | 1.1 stl | 1.0 blk
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • F Gump, omahen
Like Reply
In some situations, the combo of offering a player "all we can possibly offer" and being a place he really wants to play is enough to get him to sign. The fact that DJJ has been on the other side of that equation, where it was NOT a good fit for him and he was miserable, will very likely come into play. Whether that would be enough to ensure they will work together and find a way, that remains to be seen, but it gives me some hope.

OTOH at the TDL I kept mentioning the Mavs needed to do a deal to somehow carve out more room for an upcoming DJJ re-sign, and they didn't. I hope it won't prove to be a fatal oversight.
[-] The following 6 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, SleepingHero, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
mavs gain any room if they move Powell for air? I suspect he is here as your emergency 3rd center and good morale guy. I am sure a team would take him on though. I don't think they move him. Would that clear up any room if he was moved?
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 08:50 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: mavs gain any room if they move Powell for air?  I suspect he is here as your emergency 3rd center and good morale guy.  I am sure a team would take him on though.  I don't think they move him.  Would that clear up any room if he was moved?

Not enough to move the needle. As they sit, on working math they have about $0 to pay DJJ and be below the hard cap with a small but reasonable cushion. So they have to outdo $5.2M (tx MLE) to do any better on the MLE. (TxMLE can be used and go past Apron 1 hard cap. The bigger NT MLE cannot, and have to use it and still stay and remain below that hard cap number.)

Powell for air only gives about 1.9M, since you have to refill the salary slot (min is 2.1M).
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 07:05 AM)omahen Wrote: This to the point. Just looking at this playoffs and Mavs bench contracts above 10 mil, here is my opinion on the order of importance (from least to most important):
1. THJ - getting less and less minutes. Can only be positive on a great defensive team that needs shooting. Lets not forget, he is not even an elite shooter as he is 35 % from three for the season and 36 % for career. He only provides volume at mediocre accuracy. He is over 30 and he is what he is. My opinion is firm, Mavs would have to pay an asset to someone taking most (or all) of his salary into cap-space. 
2.  Maxi - he is great when available, but unfortunately that is very rare. He played in 37 games last season and in 43 games this one while also missing more than half of playoffs at this point. If someone is willing to bet on him and pay something, I would consider moving him. Its not like Mavs are not surviving without him. Bring a low cost replacement or give his minutes to Omax.
3. Green - young and perhaps still has upside. Current production probably doesn't match his new contract, but someone could see an upside for that to change and pay assets for him. 
4. Gafford - plays considerable and stable role. In principle back-up centres (I would assume he might become a back-up next season already) can be get for low money, but his fit has been so great it would really have to be a great opportunity to consider moving him. If there is a FA centre willing to go to Mavs for far less money than Gafford, why wouldn't the team looking at Gafford just sign that centre instead of trading for Gafford? 

Under assumption that DJJ wants more than tax MLE but not more than the full MLE, my offseason plan would be to check the market if there is anyone willing to pay assets for Maxi or Green (I would also check that for THJ, but I have no hope) to take them into capspace. If not, I am paying someone to take most (or all) of THJ contract into capspace or any combination of THJ/Green/Maxi for a good rotation player saving 10 mil in the process.

The goal is to send out a contract into cap space (you can't generate 10 mil in a salary matching deal), which means you are very likely dealing with a rebuilding team.  Hard to see any reason why a rebuilding team would have interest in Maxi, especially since he is not expiring.  Just don't see Maxi outgoing making any sense.  Green would be a real possibility.  You might even be able to get an asset back for Green (but I don't think it would be a first).  Then maybe you trade Timmy (plus that asset and maybe 25) for an upgrade to replace Green.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 07:37 AM)omahen Wrote: Related to THJ, only the pool of GMs from teams with capspace are relevant for Mavs. Not many of those around. It also doesn't only take one GM. If there is no competition, why would that one GM pay Mavs for the privilige to take THJ into capspace? Everyone knows:

Related to DJJ, teams know Mavs can't offer more than MLE and that Mavs are likely to find a way to offer same money up to MLE, which will make DJJ stay with Mavs. So the cleanest path to him for non Mavs teams, if they really want him, is to offer him more than MLE. The advantage is, that only cap space teams can offer more than MLE and most of those teams don't need a player like DJJ. Still, it only takes one Smile Examples of (non rookie contract) players from last summer that got huge increase of salary:

Thanks for the breakdown. 

Bruce Brown was offered that contract because IND had the space to spend and they wanted to have a contract for a trade match. They said as much during the TDL after Siakam. 

Strus got a big offer for sure, but he's teetering on the line of adequately paid/overpaid. 

All those things you said were true regarding THJ, but if the Mavs found a way to turn Bertans, who by all accounts is a worse player with a worse contract at the time, into space+Lively (which then turned into Holmes+OMax, which then turned into Gafford), then I can't see why THJ+something can't net a similar return. Especially since THJ will have value around the league from teams needing volume shooting like Detroit, Orlando, Portland, or even the Pelicans. 

The first major crossroads is what DJJ decides. If he takes the tax-MLE, then the Mavs can use THJ's contract to get yet another impact player and look even stronger. If DJJ wants to lock in his big contract now (and I think he will), then Nico+Lindsey+Finley will have to get creative to generate enough space for the MLE while finding an impact guy without touching the top 6 guys (Luka/Kyrie/DJJ/PJ/Gafford/Lively).

I will keep beating the Thybulle drum and offer Green+THJ to Portland for Thybulle. It works in the trade machine alone.

Maybe Portland will want a splashier move. What about:

Giddey+THJ to POR

Jerami Grant+Green to OKC

Thybulle to Dallas

Why does Portland do this? Well they get a big playmaking forward to pair next to Scoot, who doesn't really have the playmaking chops. They get off of Grant's contract and break it into 2 smaller pieces (with a Giddey extension looming, but THJ expiring so it balances out).

OKC gets their 30mil contract they need for trades, a big 4 who can score and rebound, Green's addition is a tack on but he can be removed with no issues.

Mavs generate about 17 mil of room and can offer DJJ his full MLE and it only cost them Green+THJ but they get Thybulle who is one of the best POA defenders in the league. If Green stays put the Mavs only get about 5 mil of space and can only really offer DJJ a deal starting at 7 a year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 09:25 AM)mvossman Wrote: The goal is to send out a contract into cap space (you can't generate 10 mil in a salary matching deal), which means you are very likely dealing with a rebuilding team.  Hard to see any reason why a rebuilding team would have interest in Maxi, especially since he is not expiring.  Just don't see Maxi outgoing making any sense.  Green would be a real possibility.  You might even be able to get an asset back for Green (but I don't think it would be a first).  Then maybe you trade Timmy (plus that asset and maybe 25) for an upgrade to replace Green.

I agree Green is the most likely one and would be my priority. I think it shouldn't be difficult to replace a role he plays.

In general I would agree about Maxi in an average year, but it might be a bit different this time. The following teams have cap space (among some others that will likely be tanking): OKC, Orlando, Philly and Detroit

OKC has roughly 35 mil of cap space with basically no cap holds of relevance and is in high need of a PF and back-up center. Their sights will likely be for some high end targets, but they might also have interest in some depth. 

Orlando has roughly 25 mil of cap space that might be lower depending on what they do with a couple of their FAs (no one really crucial, guys like Fultz, Harris, Bitadze - he has only 2 mil cap hit). They have higher needs elsewhere on the roster than a PF/C hybrid. But Mosley knows Maxi, so perhaps there is some love there. Or perhaps there is no love because he knows him Smile 

Philly has 55 mil of cap space and most of it will likely go to overpaying some big name. Might be they will still try to operate as an over the cap team or they will have a very rough time filling the gaps with remaining cap space. I find it unlikely to have interest in Maxi.

Detroit has 65 mil of cap space before likely giving new deals to Wiseman (30 mil cap hold) and Fontechio (5 mil cap hold). There will be plenty left even after resigning them. They are a big mistery as they are still looking for a new GM, but I think their overall direction would be to end the tank and start a positive trend. They have holes all over the roster and there might be some interest for a guy like Maxi. Although I don't find it very likely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 09:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: All those things you said were true regarding THJ, but if the Mavs found a way to turn Bertans, who by all accounts is a worse player with a worse contract at the time, into space+Lively 

Look at it as Mavs selling Cason Wallace and Bertans for space and Lively. OKC wanted Wallace and they were affraid he would be gone by their pick. Taking Bertans was the OKC price for getting Wallace. Just the same way Mavs will have to pay the price to dump THJ if they choose so. OKC didn't mind Bertans too much, as they had all the cap space they wanted with team already more or less set. They found use in his more or less expiring contract, just didn't use it well (failed Hayward trade). 

I would love to do some exchange of 2025 pick and salary for lower salary and 2024 pick, but there are no teams with relevant cap space on draft night.
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Cavaliers plan to meet with Donovan Mitchell shortly after the NBA Finals to present their four-year, $208 million extension offer, per @WindhorstESPN (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/br...0656617429).

Cleveland believes the firing of J.B. Bickerstaff increased their chances of Mitchell signing long-term.

Mitchell’s future with the organization will likely have a firm answer before the draft.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 09:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: then I can't see why THJ+something can't net a similar return. Especially since THJ will have value around the league from teams needing volume shooting like Detroit, Orlando, Portland, or even the Pelicans. 

The first major crossroads is what DJJ decides. If he takes the tax-MLE, then the Mavs can use THJ's contract to get yet another impact player and look even stronger. If DJJ wants to lock in his big contract now (and I think he will), then Nico+Lindsey+Finley will have to get creative to generate enough space for the MLE while finding an impact guy without touching the top 6 guys (Luka/Kyrie/DJJ/PJ/Gafford/Lively).

I will keep beating the Thybulle drum and offer Green+THJ to Portland for Thybulle. It works in the trade machine alone.

Maybe Portland will want a splashier move. What about:

Giddey+THJ to POR

Jerami Grant+Green to OKC

Thybulle to Dallas

Why does Portland do this? Well they get a big playmaking forward to pair next to Scoot, who doesn't really have the playmaking chops. They get off of Grant's contract and break it into 2 smaller pieces (with a Giddey extension looming, but THJ expiring so it balances out).

OKC gets their 30mil contract they need for trades, a big 4 who can score and rebound, Green's addition is a tack on but he can be removed with no issues.

Mavs generate about 17 mil of room and can offer DJJ his full MLE and it only cost them Green+THJ but they get Thybulle who is one of the best POA defenders in the league. If Green stays put the Mavs only get about 5 mil of space and can only really offer DJJ a deal starting at 7 a year.

Portland and NO don't have cap space to offer salary relief. A third team would need to be involved where either Portland or NO send their salaries and pay for that team to take it. NO will probably be in some major moves involving Ingram and I don't really see how THJ could fit into that. Portland will surely be tanking again (they are just not good enough) and I don't see them as THJ taker. Your proposed deal is perhaps interesting for both OKC and Portland, but they could just simply make Giddey for Grant swap, as OKC has enough cap space to eat the salary difference. Not sure they are high on Green as they have a huge number of decent cheap bench guards like Joe, Wiggins and so on.

One more thing: I don't think Green+THJ for Thybulle works. I think trade machines are not accurate at this point of time (are they calculating based on 2023-2024 season or already the new season). I was playing around the other day and got some strange responses from the trade machine. Even if it would work, I don't think Green has higher value than Thybulle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 08:43 PM)Smitty Wrote: There are a few posters here, that I consider smart basketball people, that view THJ as a positive. It only takes one GM to think the same. I feel very strongly that THJ will be moved, if needed, to bring DJJ back.

I’ve said over and over that very few players, if any, have went from vet minimum to 14M AAV. I’ll believe it when I see it.

He’s still a 8/3/1 player this year. Career 7/3/1. Of course he’s been a great POA defender and an excellent fit here. He did jump to 10/4/1 so far in the playoffs but I hardly think that screams 4yr-55M to some other team after 1yr-3M.

He might not receive 4yr-55M offers but every organization in the NBA is watching the playoffs and imagining DJJ on their roster right now.  Players are often paid very well based on a successful playoff run.  DJJ has been really great during these playoffs.  I believe there will be many teams willing to pay at least 10M per year.  

The hope is that DJJ recognizes that he's found the perfect situation for his style of play and is willing to take some discount to stay where he is thriving.  There may be room for some compromise but I'll be shocked if that compromise is for less than 10M per year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
If anyone is interested, per spotrac's numbers, here are teams who can be in play with cap room this summer:
PHI, DET, UTA, ORL, SA, OKC

Here are the teams who probably won't have NT MLE to offer:
PHX, MIN, BOS, DEN, MIL, MIA, LAL, GS, MEM, LAC, POR, ATL, CLE, NO, SAC?, NY
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 07:05 AM)omahen Wrote: This to the point. Just looking at this playoffs and Mavs bench contracts above 10 mil, here is my opinion on the order of importance (from least to most important):

Man, I agree with this! Gafford (so far) has been VERY durable and available. That's a good thing. 

I think this Kleber injury shouldn't count with all of his others, despite the result being the same. I think almost anyone would've been out on that fall. I think this one was just bad luck, but it doesn't change the fact that he is unavailable when they need him the most. But, there just aren't a lot of players like him, that's the problem. I'd LOVE to find another, younger one.
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 09:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I will keep beating the Thybulle drum and offer Green+THJ to Portland for Thybulle. It works in the trade machine alone.

What? No. That is world's from being legal, and no the TM doesn't accept it either (it's says you need to reduce the salary going to POR by over 18M!).

In fact, POR has salary issues and there's a good chance they won't be able to do any trade that has them accepting more than they send out.

I am leery on Thybulle in general. I don't think he's a need, with PJW and DJJ already here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
We should probably bring TPE's into this discussion.  Some of the list below can be used either in a June trade or a July trade and some are obviously not realistic possibilities or have trouble being legal besides the two I'll note below.

Atlanta and Brooklyn currently have TPE's large enough to take on THJ

Additionally, Memphis can take on Green on his 24/25 salary next season

Additionally, Chicago, Detroit, NY, Philly, Portland, Toronto, Utah and Washington have TPE's large enough to take on Green's number in the current season.  I haven't checked hard-caps or other reasons some of these might not work.  For instance, Miami and Phoenix also have a TPE of this size, but would not be able to use it because of their salary status.

Any team that can use their NT MLE next season can use it like a TPE and take on Green since his salary is less than the projected NT MLE.

Dallas has two TPE's ($4.95 and $4.0) it can use to facilitate a trade that isn't a salary match.

There are more paths available to us to reduce salary for DJJ (and possibly add an asset) than we've really explored fully in these discussions.  I'm not a fan of trading Green, but his contract amount appears to have been set in a way it could easily be traded under the new MLE rules that start this coming season.  If you do that and create the room needed for DJJ (it would need to be a bit under the NT MLE, but well more than the TP MLE according to FG's numbers), then you still have THJ's contract (and 2025) to use to add an upgrade.  We can afford two outgoing players for one returning player if that one returning player upgrades the THJ/Green minutes while also getting us the money needed to keep DJJ.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Lukedoncic, mvossman
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 10:49 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, I agree with this! Gafford (so far) has been VERY durable and available. That's a good thing. 

I think this Kleber injury shouldn't count with all of his others, despite the result being the same. I think almost anyone would've been out on that fall. I think this one was just bad luck, but it doesn't change the fact that he is unavailable when they need him the most. But, there just aren't a lot of players like him, that's the problem. I'd LOVE to find another, younger one.

I would argue that a lot of players of his size age would not try to Superman from behind the foul line. I can’t for the life of me get what he was trying to do there
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 09:15 AM)F Gump Wrote: Not enough to move the needle. As they sit, on working math they have about $0 to pay DJJ and be below the hard cap with a small but reasonable cushion. So they have to outdo $5.2M (tx MLE) to do any better on the MLE. (TxMLE can be used and go past Apron 1 hard cap. The bigger NT MLE cannot, and have to use it and still stay and remain below that hard cap number.)

Powell for air only gives about 1.9M, since you have to refill the salary slot (min is 2.1M).

So (and please, correct me if I'm wrong), getting enough room to go over the tax MLE will require moving THJ, Green or Gafford, right, and the question is HOW they move one of those guys. Like, we're hoping they can do so productively to bring in at leas one usable player or draft capital while still accomplishing the savings, rather than just dumping one of them for air. 

Do I have the right situation in mind, or is there something I'm missing? 

Because if that's the crux of it, it's got to be THJ. I'd agree with you that Green would be my next choice before Gafford, but I also think THJ is probably the least likely to be used in a productive deal we LIKE (though it's not impossible). 

Is it fair to say a move that opens up the MLE for DJJ and accomplishes something productive, like adding a player or draft capital, might require moving TWO of those guys?
Like Reply
(05-24-2024, 10:22 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: He might not receive 4yr-55M offers but every organization in the NBA is watching the playoffs and imagining DJJ on their roster right now.  Players are often paid very well based on a successful playoff run.  DJJ has been really great during these playoffs.  I believe there will be many teams willing to pay at least 10M per year.  

The hope is that DJJ recognizes that he's found the perfect situation for his style of play and is willing to take some discount to stay where he is thriving.  There may be room for some compromise but I'll be shocked if that compromise is for less than 10M per year.

I don’t disagree entirely. 4-55M is just the NTMLE. I’m simply pointing out that we LOVE DJJ as Mavs fans, rightfully so. Just that it would be incredibly rare for a player to go from Vet min to 14M AAV when he didn’t even have a career year. He’s literally done exactly what he’s always done. It’s just that the Mavs needed exactly that. 

I listened to some NBA guys a month or two ago and I’m paraphrasing here but they said when a player signs for vet minimum they are almost always going to remain vet minimums, that NBA executives view it that way almost unanimously. Of course, DJJ deserves a raise I just find it hard to believe it’ll be around the $14M number people are worried about. The tax payer MLE of 5.2M is still a sizable raise from 2.7M.

And if the Mavs do have to make room because of another team pulling an Indy (Bruce Brown), I’ve already pointed out the connection with DET and THJ and the Mavs with Grimes. It will cost something most likely and I’ve already said I think the ‘25 SRP (TOR) seems right.
Like Reply