Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 3.92 Average
AROUND the NBA: DET Fires GM Troy Weaver
(05-20-2024, 02:07 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly! I need some more sports hate.

RC mailed it in the last year in Dallas. He grated on Luka and there was never a future there. 

Donnie lost his touch after 2011 and felt like he could just rebuild moneyball style. Cuban agreed. Those two together were dumb and dumber. 

RC is a fantastic X's and O's coach. His offense was always beautiful. He always found a way to make the team competitive. I loved having him as the Mavs coach right up until 2021 and the last Clippers playoffs. He lacked the ability to get his guys to buy in and divided locker rooms more often than bringing them together. 

I'm curious to see how long he lasts with the Pacers and where they are from now in 3 years.

I think RC will most likely jumb from coach to the GM with the Pacers, although he seems to really enjoy coachibg.
Also, I really appreciate that he asked out, he could have probably stayed but would have been on a hot seat. He spared everyone the trouble and moved on.

As for Donnie, I still appreciate how he got us Luka and Jalen in one draft, along the likes of Maxi, DFS etc. I think ad you said he is good for rebuild and probably will do well in similar job. Frankly, I think Detroit could do well with him, more than most of their candidates and especially with them keeping their GM .
Like Reply
well this list is interesting.....didn't really read it closely. But a big huh when I saw Luka at 4.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/5/22/...r-rankings
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 07:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: well this list is interesting.....didn't really read it closely.  But a big huh when I saw Luka at 4.

Maybe it's just me, but feels like the Ringer has been pretty down on the Mavs and Mavs players since the Kyrie trade and the sad passing of Tjarks (who was a big Mavs fan).

Scroll down their recent NBA articles and compare the number that have been written about every other team compared to the Mavs...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 07:30 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: well this list is interesting.....didn't really read it closely.  But a big huh when I saw Luka at 4.

Its interesting because he is #2 on their current player rankings, right behind Jokic.  Seems they think Shai (who is older) and Ant are going to pass him by.  We shall see.  Ant is finishing his 4th year and is nowhere near what Luka was offensively by his second year.
Like Reply

That list is silly
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Eh, they include a metric based on marketability. Whatever. Same outfit has Luka ranked #2 in their top 100 nba players.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Ar...amazon-nbc

NBA formalizing deals with Disney, Amazon, NBC
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 01:51 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Ar...amazon-nbc

NBA formalizing deals with Disney, Amazon, NBC

Lovely...How many streaming services am I going to need to watch all Mavs games?
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, HoosierDaddyKid, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 02:49 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: I think RC will most likely jumb from coach to the GM with the Pacers, although he seems to really enjoy coachibg.
Also, I really appreciate that he asked out, he could have probably stayed but would have been on a hot seat. He spared everyone the trouble and moved on.

As for Donnie, I still appreciate how he got us Luka and Jalen in one draft, along the likes of Maxi, DFS etc. I think ad you said he is good for rebuild and probably will do well in similar job. Frankly, I think Detroit could do well with him, more than most of their candidates and especially with them keeping their GM .

Kevin Pritchard is POBO.  RC could step in if he decides to give it up. Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird are advisors.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 02:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Lovely...How many streaming services am I going to need to watch all Mavs games?

It's GOT to be better than it has been these past couple of years.
Like Reply
(05-22-2024, 02:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Lovely...How many streaming services am I going to need to watch all Mavs games?

Probably just Amazon. 

ESPN is Disney so maybe Hulu too
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Why are you guys not using nbaleaguepass? You have limitations for it regarding TV rights (blackouts)? Its working perfectly for me in Slovenia
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 02:49 AM)omahen Wrote: Why are you guys not using nbaleaguepass? You have limitations for it regarding TV rights (blackouts)? Its working perfectly for me in Slovenia

Local teams are always blacked out, to promote the local broadcasts, which used to work as a system before the hellish past few years of Bally.
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 02:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Local teams are always blacked out, to promote the local broadcasts, which used to work as a system before the hellish past few years of Bally.

Interesting. I have no limitations here, despite local sport channels buying rights for NBA games.
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 02:56 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Local teams are always blacked out, to promote the local broadcasts, which used to work as a system before the hellish past few years of Bally.

It's really a crazy system that the closer you are to Dallas the harder it is to watch Mavs games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 07:16 AM)Jmaciscool Wrote: It's really a crazy system that the closer you are to Dallas the harder it is to watch Mavs games.

I remember being blacked out as far as Temple one night. Whats hilarious is that I couldn't watch Houston games either. Only Spurs, which were ironically the farthest team from me.
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
ESPN Sources: The Cleveland Cavaliers dismissed coach JB Bickerstaff on Thursday. Bickerstaff led Cavs to conference semifinals and won 99 regular-season games in past two years, but change comes with hope of advancing deeper.
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 02:49 AM)omahen Wrote: Why are you guys not using nbaleaguepass? You have limitations for it regarding TV rights (blackouts)? Its working perfectly for me in Slovenia

Because I live in Texas and can only watch about 1/3 of the games.  It blacks them out because it says I live in the local viewing area--Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.  It is true I live in Texas, but out in the boondocks 120 miles from Dallas (as the crow flies), 150 miles from San Antonio, and nearly 200 miles from Houston.

I have no local service that runs any of those games.  Hell...any games at all.  I have no other way to watch the mavs games--except youtube TV which even blacks out some games, because of the NBA contract.  I would spend money if something would work, but nothing does.

So I resort to those nefarious methods that I can't speak of.  BUT...nothing would work last night because of rain and thunderstorms and no electricity, no internet.

So I had to watch the game on my phone sitting in the truck with the phone plugged in for power.   What a life!
[-] The following 4 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Lukedoncic, SleepingHero, The Jom
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 09:24 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
ESPN Sources: The Cleveland Cavaliers dismissed coach JB Bickerstaff on Thursday. Bickerstaff led Cavs to conference semifinals and won 99 regular-season games in past two years, but change comes with hope of advancing deeper.

I don't think he deserved to be fired.  I thought they overachieved this season despite some terrible injury luck and an ill-fitting roster.

I think either he or Frank Vogel would make excellent lead assistants for coach Kidd next season.  Now that he has more job security, I hope Kidd will be open to having an assistant coach with some head coaching experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(05-23-2024, 09:53 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: Because I live in Texas and can only watch about 1/3 of the games.  It blacks them out because it says I live in the local viewing area--Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.  It is true I live in Texas, but out in the boondocks 120 miles from Dallas (as the crow flies), 150 miles from San Antonio, and nearly 200 miles from Houston.

I have no local service that runs any of those games.  Hell...any games at all.  I have no other way to watch the mavs games--except youtube TV which even blacks out some games, because of the NBA contract.  I would spend money if something would work, but nothing does.

So I resort to those nefarious methods that I can't speak of.  BUT...nothing would work last night because of rain and thunderstorms and no electricity, no internet.

So I had to watch the game on my phone sitting in the truck with the phone plugged in for power.   What a life!

I respect you more for doing that!
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply