Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: NBA Formalizing Deals with ESPN, NBC, and Amazon| CLE Fires Coach
Justin Holiday is in Denver's playoff rotation. The stats say it's likely because he's suddenly shooting 40% from 3.

That just freaks me out a little. He had one good game in Dallas, and then couldn't see 5 minutes on the court for the rest of the season.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 08:54 PM)Winter Wrote: Justin Holiday is in Denver's playoff rotation. The stats say it's likely because he's suddenly shooting 40% from 3.

That just freaks me out a little.  He had one good game in Dallas, and then couldn't see 5 minutes on the court for the rest of the season.

That's the way it works sometimes. A player may not work out for your team, but fits in on another. He's made big shots for them.
Like Reply
Jokic is showing why he won MVP. 35 pts, 7 rebs, 7 asts.  Aaron Gordon has missed one shot on his way to 27 pts. Looks like this series is tied 2-2, 115-107. The road team has won every game in this series. Edwards finished with 44 pts.
Like Reply
I don’t know much about any of these draft prospects. It will be interesting if 2-3 separate from the pack. Right now it appears there is no consensus. One guy might be listed at 2 art one mock and 9 with another. It isn’t just one guy either.

It seems like some lottery teams may look to trade but it may be difficult to find value in any trades.
Like Reply
(05-12-2024, 07:08 PM)The Jom Wrote: I agree. But I expect they do win. And then win the next one too. So often playoff blowout wins are followed up with losses. The whistles have a lot to do with this.

Shows how little I know.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Jom's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Bucks blocked the Pistons from interviewing general manager Jon Horst for their President of Basketball Operations opening, per @JakeLFischer (https://sports.yahoo.com/the-big-lottery...42947.html).

Former Trail Blazers executive Neil Olshey also declined an interview request from the Pistons.

As Detroit looks for more interested candidates, Troy Weaver’s future with the organization will be decided by the new hire.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 12:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Bucks blocked the Pistons from interviewing general manager Jon Horst for their President of Basketball Operations opening, per @JakeLFischer (https://sports.yahoo.com/the-big-lottery...42947.html).

Former Trail Blazers executive Neil Olshey also declined an interview request from the Pistons.

As Detroit looks for more interested candidates, Troy Weaver’s future with the organization will be decided by the new hire.

The Pistons are a original, storied NBA franchise that has lost their way. They have fallen to the same position the Lions use to be in, and I'd never thought that would be the case. The Lions are legit now. The fact nobody wants the POBO job is very telling.
Like Reply
OKC only has one draft pick this year.

So their roster decisions will be a little simpler than if they were being forced to trade or cut players in order to get down to 15.
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Pistons are now planning to aggressively pursue Timberwolves executive Tim Connelly for their President of Basketball Operations role, per @ShamsCharania/@JLEdwardsIII (https://theathletic.com/5489718/2024/05/...-connelly/).

If Detroit offers Connelly $15+ million per year, it could be enough to pry him away from a championship contender.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 11:03 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Evan Sidery (@esidery)
The Pistons are now planning to aggressively pursue Timberwolves executive Tim Connelly for their President of Basketball Operations role, per @ShamsCharania/@JLEdwardsIII (https://theathletic.com/5489718/2024/05/...-connelly/).

If Detroit offers Connelly $15+ million per year, it could be enough to pry him away from a championship contender.He

That could be an interesting decision for Connelly.   Minny appears to be in a good spot and positioned nicely.  Wasn't he provided some kind of stake in ownership?   Their owner situation is a mess though.   The current owner is a bad owner.  The new owners may lack the financial resources to keep the team together.  

Detroit has a lot of young assets and are in the weaker east.   I would be looking for a ton of money and the ability to get rid of everyone who has been making decisions there the last 5 years.   And the ability to change coaches if it doesn't get better quickly.   Even that may not be enough.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 11:16 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: That could be an interesting decision for Connelly.   Minny appears to be in a good spot and positioned nicely.  Wasn't he provided some kind of stake in ownership?   Their owner situation is a mess though.   The current owner is a bad owner.  The new owners may lack the financial resources to keep the team together.  

Detroit has a lot of young assets and are in the weaker east.   I would be looking for a ton of money and the ability to get rid of everyone who has been making decisions there the last 5 years.   And the ability to change coaches if it doesn't get better quickly.   Even that may not be enough.

Getting handed 15 mil and carte blanche to build the team however you see fit is a pretty attractive offer. Plus they're in the east. 

Its a no brainer for me but maybe Detroit is really that bad both as an organization and city.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 11:26 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Getting handed 15 mil and carte blanche to build the team however you see fit is a pretty attractive offer. Plus they're in the east. 

Its a no brainer for me but maybe Detroit is really that bad both as an organization and city.
Me neither.   They are a long way away.  They shouldn't be as bad as they were this year.  

I think they have two guys in a healthy Cade and Duran who can't help you win games.  After that, I think Thompson and Ivey are intriguing developmental guys.   It seems like the rest of the roster are a bunch of odd fitting parts who they hope develop but really don't have any rhyme or reason on team building.   Add the 5th pick  to this equation as well.   

I am not sure overpaying for a veteran piece is the answer.  Especially if it is going to take 25 million to do that.  They definitely need some veteran pieces though.  Tough to have a veteran who can still play have any excitement playing for a bad team.   

in summary, while they are a long way away, a Cade, Duran, Thompson and Ivey pairing is a solid group of young prospects.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 11:41 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Me neither.   They are a long way away.  They shouldn't be as bad as they were this year.  

I think they have two guys in a healthy Cade and Duran who can't help you win games.  After that, I think Thompson and Ivey are intriguing developmental guys.   It seems like the rest of the roster are a bunch of odd fitting parts who they hope develop but really don't have any rhyme or reason on team building.   Add the 5th pick  to this equation as well.   

I am not sure overpaying for a veteran piece is the answer.  Especially if it is going to take 25 million to do that.  They definitely need some veteran pieces though.  Tough to have a veteran who can still play have any excitement playing for a bad team.   

in summary, while they are a long way away, a Cade, Duran, Thompson and Ivey pairing is a solid group of young prospects.

The real answer is trading Cade away to some team that will overpay. Cade is good, but he's not a franchise player. 

Duren is good. Also not a franchise player. Thompson is a transformative perimeter defender, also hard to imagine him being a 1st option. They have to rebuild from their rebuild at this point. One of the worst avenues a team can be in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 11:16 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: That could be an interesting decision for Connelly.   Minny appears to be in a good spot and positioned nicely.  Wasn't he provided some kind of stake in ownership?   Their owner situation is a mess though.   The current owner is a bad owner.  The new owners may lack the financial resources to keep the team together.  

Connely came with new owners who are now out of the picture and has a "player option" because of that. Minny situation will be interesting, especially if they don't make it past Denver. They are over the second apron with just 10 players under contract for next season. Monte Morris, Slow Mo and McLaughlin are rotation guys that will be FAs in the summer.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 11:26 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Getting handed 15 mil and carte blanche to build the team however you see fit is a pretty attractive offer. Plus they're in the east. 

I get the bad organization part, but the city is on the rebound. The NFL draft was there, and it was a huge success. I was born and raised there, so I've got a different perspective. It has problems like any other city. The Pistons went south as soon as they traded Chauncey Billups, then Tom Gores bought the team and he hired SVG to be GM and coach. A horrible combination with bad draft picks and trades.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 04:35 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I get the bad organization part, but the city is on the rebound. I was born and raised there, so I've got a different perspective. It has problems like any other city. The Pistons went south as soon as they traded Chauncey Billups and hired SVG.

They screwed up badly when the rest of the league evolved and entered the 4-out, 5-out spacing era. Building around twin tower dinosaurs like Monroe and Drummond. Bringing in SVG to recreate the Howard-Magic with Drummond as the new superstar center. With the expected outcome.
Crazy part is that if you look at their current roster it's still the same madness. They love non-shooting bigs. Instead of Monroe/Drummond they are trying lineups that feature Stewart/Duren or Wiseman/Duren.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 04:45 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: They missed out badly when the rest of the league evolved and entered the 4-out, 5-out spacing era. Building around twin tower dinosaurs like Monroe and Drummond. Bringing in SVG to recreate the Howard-Magic with Drummond as the new superstar center. With the expected outcome.
Crazy part is that if you look at their current roster it's still the same madness. They love non-shooting bigs. Instead of Monroe/Drummond they are trying lineups that feature Stewart/Duren or Wiseman/Duren.

I agree. Bad team management. The rich owner, Gores bought them and he treats them like a kid's shiny new toy. He's never involved or rarely at games, and he has Arn Tellum running basketball ops with his son as his top assistant. Both don't know shit about basketball. It's a mess that's going to take years to recover from.
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 04:52 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I agree. Bad team management. The rich owner, Gores bought them and he treats them like a kid's shiny new toy. He's never involved or rarely at games, and he has Arn Tellum running basketball ops with his son as his top assistant. Both don't know shit about basketball. It's a mess that's going to take years to recover from.

Wait, wait.  

Isn't this what fans on this board have been pleading about for years?  An owner that isn't visible at all, hires basketball people to make basketball decisions, and doesn't involve himself in any operations???

...or maybe Cuban's done the right thing, all along...
Like Reply
(05-13-2024, 05:11 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Wait, wait.  

Isn't this what fans on this board have been pleading about for years?  An owner that isn't visible at all, hires basketball people to make basketball decisions, and doesn't involve himself in any operations???

...or maybe Cuban's done the right thing, all along...

He didn't hire COMPETENT basketball people. That's my point. Troy Weaver has been a disaster. Cuban, was a good owner when he owned the team, but has made his share of gaffs as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/statu...8293759125

Shots fired at Pascal Siakam.
Like Reply