Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NEWS: Donnie out | Nico Harrison (Nike) as Pres/GM | Fin as VP | Dirk as Advisor
(06-18-2021, 08:19 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The correct answer is still that you don't do *anything* regarding free agency/the draft/trades until the new guy comes in. He needs a blank slate. But you all are correct - the hire needs to take place within 6 days (the one week clock started yesterday) and we are progressively screwed with any days beyond that that the hiring process takes.

Mark has probably been thinking of the GM for a bit.  I would hope.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 07:27 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think we can stop with the posts about Duffy clients coming here.  The Duffy relationship with Mark has always been poor.  It was the Duffy relationship with Donnie that overcame the history with Cuban.  I suspect Duffy takes a wait and see attitude rather than pushing any more of his guys this direction (its not like the JRich thing turned out like he hoped).

I think there's some truth to that, but I don't think it's the whole story. We've all heard the story about Cuban and Duffy after the Nash saga, but I think it was MacMahon who said yesterday that Duffy's biggest problem with Dallas was how Carlisle treated his other clients like Rondo and Collison. Reading between the lines we have the same suspicions about JRich. Notice the stories recently about how Carlisle treated Mejri like crap? Duffy client. And the big elephant in the room is Luka, especially with the rumors that he and Carlisle maybe didn't get along so well. So while Donnie leaving can be a negative, Carlisle leaving can be an even bigger positive depending on who Cuban hires to replace him.

Duffy is a big-time agent. He's used to being the bad guy and having conflicts with front offices when he moves players against the wishes of the teams -- that's just part of the business. But the real issue is when his clients aren't put in the best position to succeed on the court, as that directly affects their careers. And that’s primarily a coaching issue. 

So personally, I think the end result could be a big positive on the Duffy front. As you said, literally everything we know about relationships and biases are completely out the window. Including the negatives. Cuban has the opportunity to put guys in place who work extremely well with agents like Duffy, and honestly that's what I would focus a lot of the search consultant's energy on. Burn it down and build it back much better.
Like Reply
I think replacing Carlisle and bringing in Dragic onboad with an etremely good faith offer could do a lot of Luka and Duffy damage control.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1405908544658935809
Like Reply
Dan brought up a good point - Duffy's riff is w/Rick and how he handled Duffy clients.  So I hope Rick ends up in Indy as there new coach.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 10:52 AM)chaparral Wrote: Dan brought up a good point - Duffy's riff is w/Rick and how he handled Duffy clients.  So I hope Rick ends up in Indy as there new coach.

Carlisle going back to Indiana would be ... something.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 10:41 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/1405908544658935809

OMG, when he starts reading down Kirk's list of all the ridiculously unintelligent things Cuban has said over the years...
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:19 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I think replacing Carlisle and bringing in Dragic onboad with an etremely good faith offer could do a lot of Luka and Duffy damage control.

Cuban is the one Duffy doesn't like (and vice versa). That has been common knowledge amongst Mavs fans since Nash left. 

Now, maybe Carlisle and Duffy had some beef too, but that's new info that's just now coming out after the fact. Nothing remotely close to the HUGE problem between he and Cuban. 

Either/both cases were trumped by Donnie's GREAT relationship with Duffy, and that was very likely one of the reasons Luka maneuvered to get drafted here.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:02 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Cuban is the one Duffy doesn't like (and vice versa). That has been common knowledge amongst Mavs fans since Nash left. 

Now, maybe Carlisle and Duffy had some beef too, but that's new info that's just now coming out after the fact. Nothing remotely close to the HUGE problem between he and Cuban. 

Either/both cases were trumped by Donnie's GREAT relationship with Duffy, and that was very likely one of the reasons Luka maneuvered to get drafted here.

You think it's "new info" that Carlisle had a horrendous relationship with two Duffy clients?

Do you thinks its new info that maybe Rick didn't have a great reptuation around the league as a player's coach?
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:02 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: the HUGE problem between he and Cuban

MacMahon seemed to say that Cuban and Duffy had the one Nash incident and that was it. They had one thing to "get over" and "get past" while Duffy has a LONG list of issues with RC. That's the strong impression I got from MacMahon.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 09:12 AM)Tyler Wrote: I think there's some truth to that, but I don't think it's the whole story. We've all heard the story about Cuban and Duffy after the Nash saga, but I think it was MacMahon who said yesterday that Duffy's biggest problem with Dallas was how Carlisle treated his other clients like Rondo and Collison. Reading between the lines we have the same suspicions about JRich. Notice the stories recently about how Carlisle treated Mejri like crap? Duffy client. And the big elephant in the room is Luka, especially with the rumors that he and Carlisle maybe didn't get along so well. So while Donnie leaving can be a negative, Carlisle leaving can be an even bigger positive depending on who Cuban hires to replace him.

Duffy is a big-time agent. He's used to being the bad guy and having conflicts with front offices when he moves players against the wishes of the teams -- that's just part of the business. But the real issue is when his clients aren't put in the best position to succeed on the court, as that directly affects their careers. And that’s primarily a coaching issue. 

So personally, I think the end result could be a big positive on the Duffy front. As you said, literally everything we know about relationships and biases are completely out the window. Including the negatives. Cuban has the opportunity to put guys in place who work extremely well with agents like Duffy, and honestly that's what I would focus a lot of the search consultant's energy on. Burn it down and build it back much better.

FANTASTIC stuff.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 08:22 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dan, you have been our most valuable poster over the past year or so. I think you left out the biggest piece by far of the Cuban/Duffy concern. If your comments here are germane, it would seem that the single biggest reason for Mavs fans to panic ought to be climbing into the orange if not the red.

Who cares about Duffy?  JRich got plenty of chances here and sucked. 

I will say this again about Luka. Teams that are petrified of their stud leaving and bend over time and again end up losing him anyway.  Cuban’s job is to do the right thing. The right thing is to hire the most qualified GM out there who can be had. After that you have to trust the GM’s plan.   If that is not good enough for Luka, so be it.
Like Reply
It's weird how we all listened to the same interview and two differing sets of thoughts emerged:

1.  Cuban is the main problem with the Mavs.  He is not only the source of dysfunction but also likes to have the final say in player personnel decisions.

VS

2.  Carlisle and Donnie had to go because Luka/Duffy don't like Carlisle and Donnie isn't as smart as Bob.  What great moves by Cuban.  Now I'm optimistic about the Mavs future.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 11:50 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: It's weird how we all listened to the same interview and two differing sets of thoughts emerged:

1.  Cuban is the main problem with the Mavs.  He is not only the source of dysfunction but also likes to have the final say in player personnel decisions.

VS

2.  Carlisle and Donnie had to go because Luka/Duffy don't like Carlisle and Donnie isn't as smart as Bob.  What great moves by Cuban.  Now I'm optimistic about the Mavs future.
Just like with everything, I am a wait and see guy. IMO the change needed to be made no matter what. The variable is what MC does going forward. I think promotion from within fully signals and solidifies his reign as just another Jerry Jones, in a slightly different way. 

If that is the case, this more than likely continues to be the same team as the Cowboys with names changed. If not, it could still be a bad choice of GM and coach, but it would seem that without the history MC would have with the new personnel, he could become much more traditional with being a results driven owner. That would be a good change too IMO!
Like Reply
Woj says that no one of real stature will take the Mavs' helm if Voulgaris is still going to be involved. Adds that he thinks Cuban realizes that, and that Bob realizes it, too.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/26...-Voulgaris
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/realgm/status/140596...20387?s=21
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 02:13 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Woj says that no one of real stature will take the Mavs' helm if Voulgaris is still going to be involved. Adds that he thinks Cuban realizes that, and that Bob realizes it, too.

It's encouraging to hear that Cuban realizes Bob hurts more than helps, and in some capacity, Bob recognizes it as well.

I take this as gospel given that Woj is the one that said it. Hopefully Cuban actually follows through...
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 06:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: It's encouraging to hear that Cuban realizes Bob hurts more than helps, and in some capacity, Bob recognizes it as well.

I take this as gospel given that Woj is the one that said it. Hopefully Cuban actually follows through...

I think we may be reading a little more into this than what was actually said. 

Woj says Cuban realizes that no one of stature will come here if Bob is still in the middle of things. He did not say that Cuban intends to hire a person of stature. 

Whether Cuban really intends to surrender the reins necessary to make an elite hire is TBD.
Like Reply
(06-18-2021, 06:56 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Woj says Cuban realizes that no one of stature will come here if Bob is still in the middle of things. He did not say that Cuban intends to hire a person of stature. 

Whether Cuban really intends to surrender the reins necessary to make an elite hire is TBD.

[Image: 7LEE.gif]
Like Reply
It’s kind of an odd thing to report, no? I imagine WOJ starting a text group labeled “persons of stature” and frantically asking them what conditions they’d need to work for the Mavs.
Like Reply