Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 0.0 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
63.64%
7 63.64%
Sixers
36.36%
4 36.36%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 53: PHI (37-17) @ DAL (29-24) | 95-113 loss
(04-12-2021, 11:57 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: I read some article recently that the Mavs are looking for another guard next to Luka. So they realize the issue too. Plus that tells me they are on the correct path to not get Luka to fall into bad habits. Maybe they went a bit overboard this year with the 3 and D guys around Luka that they overlooked the value of a legit 2nd option ball handler.  

The Mavs are doing the correct thing. Let us see how this team and Luka looks in a couple of years.  

It is hard to know what is motivating this uptick in Luka off-the-ball.  Are they testing certain looks?  Are they giving him in-game "load management"?   Something no one has mentioned is that some of the alternative ball handlers may be trying out for their own jobs next season.  I'm in agreement that Luka has to be able to succeed off the ball.  All-Luka All-the-Time just won't work.  But, Dallas has to have that guy who can create for himself and others.  Otherwise we are simply degrading the offense for the sake of diversity.  

It is easy to get wrapped up in current season standings and whether we seeded 6th or 7th.  But, the long game is what really matters here.  For all we know JRich wasn't brought here to be a long-term fit.  It is possible he was a way to get a second and a (kind-of) expiring contract.  Curry wasn't the solution to all of our problems either, but his $8mm next year may have been in the way of whatever the plan is.  I'm kind of glad the (collective) board has kind of moved on from iterations of a John Collins pursuit.  Most of our recent discussions have revolved around ball handlers who can also be a third scoring threat.  People like Ball or DeRozan or THT or the geriatric PG's being added seems much more likely.  If Brunson or JRich is your second guard, then you have issues.  If they are your third guard, you may have something.  Similar things can be said about Maxi and DFS, but they appear much more difficult to replace than JRich and/or Hardaway.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 53: PHI (37-17) @ DAL (29-24) | 95-113 loss - by DanSchwartzgan - 04-13-2021, 08:19 AM