Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLM the official message of the NBA
(08-13-2020, 09:50 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(08-13-2020, 08:31 PM)haveitall Wrote: Previously I have made a statement as to why I will not watch the nba this season and why I do not support BLM.  Here are a few articles that show how problematic these protests have been.  Do ethics matter to sports fans?  They do for me because I am against injustice and mistreatment of people which right now is aimed at people who chose police as their occupation. 

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/chicago-lo...ds-inside/

https://nypost.com/article/chicago-cop-r...pe-report/

As a "black life" myself, I feel you.   The support many express for BLM is more for the slogan and what it directly implies i.e. a cry against blatant race based discrimination such as seen in some particularly visible cases. 

Most sane people don't appear to really support or even pay attention to these moves to defund and attack police officers.  It's very unfortunate that these things are being conflated and even more tragic that whole segments of the media simply don't cover it.  The result is entire portions of american population don't really see the same news stories at other segments. 
Much of the country couldn't accurately  recognize the extent of what is happening to police departments and officers because its not being covered on news outlets they watch and follow.  Sad

I actually see and hear plenty of black people who are horrified by the violence and looting. For example the group that stopped looters in Chicago. It’s hard to end racism. The only way is to meet people and talk and be open minded. But to me what needs to happen is an emphasis on the fact that blacks are Americans first (the ones born here). Most have been here longer than most whites (I am first generation immigrant). Emphasizing the word black segregates blacks I the minds of the public. It adds to division, right now if you hear what most people are saying it makes things worse. If police reform is the goal to avoid another George type death than try to make body cams universal, hire more black cops, hire top cops who are black. But don’t create divisiveness especially with abuse toward police.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: BLM the official message of the NBA - by haveitall - 08-14-2020, 12:45 AM