Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 111, Clippers 126
(08-07-2020, 06:01 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-07-2020, 05:56 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: When the Mavs aren't hitting their threes, it's very hard for them to win. There doesn't seem to be a Plan B. 

They hit 35 % on threes, which is decent. The biggest issue by far is very bad defense. If I remember correctly, they have number 19 defense in the bubble. Most of the effort should go into improving it. No way they can win against Clippers by giving them wide open shots and layups all night long.
Agree that the defense is subpar. Maybe that's where most of the effort should go in the medium- and long-term. The thing is, I don't think that's going to get materially better in the Bubble. Tbh, I don't think they have the players at this point to be a really good defensive team. Rick noted that they were at a size disadvantage at several positions, and they're not getting bigger and stronger in the next few weeks. 

Whereas, there actually might be a way to make it easier for Luka to get to the basket in the short term. I recall Rick successfully making adjustments in that respect in the playoffs before. And if Luka gets inside, that should get the guys better threes. Of course, they have to knock them down, and at a better than decent rate. 

As you point out, when you look past this season, you have to look at more substantial changes.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 111, Clippers 126 - by mavsluvr - 08-07-2020, 09:05 PM