Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 121, Grizzlies 96
(03-07-2020, 03:26 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Undermanned Mavs Extinguish Grizzlies

The Mavericks impressed their home fans with a decisive victory over Memphis, despite missing 4 1/2 players. Great win in this important stretch!

Game Story

The injury whack-a-mole continued apace, as Barea returned to the lineup, but Hardaway (illness) and Doe Doe (hip flexor) went out. Powell and Brunson continued on the long-term disabled list. Rick experimented with a starting lineup of Luka/Curry/Lee/KP/Maxi.

This one was all Mavs. Point differentials by quarter were +5, +7, +18, -5. If anything, the score line might flatter the Grizz. It was a demolition job, with lots of fireworks from the home team. 

Players

Luka (30 min) put up a line of 21-4-6, and had two steals. His hand was still visibly bothering him, and he hurt it again when he fell backward and used his hands to brace his fall. It was affecting his shot, as he was 7-20 from the field, 2-8 from deep, and 5-8 from the line. There were three Mavs in negative territory, and Luka was uncharacteristically one of them, at -6. He was still entertaining, but clearly not 100%. 

Luka played into the fourth quarter, although the Mavericks had a 20+ point lead. I was holding my breath, having a nervous feeling that the team was tempting fate. Fortunately, things worked out. I assume the Mavs know what they're doing, playing Luka with an injury that is bothering him when the game has been decided as a practical matter. It seems like it would delay the recovery to be constantly re-injuring it, but I defer to the team's excellent medical staff on such matters. Anyway, it was great to see the team blow out an opponent, despite Luka having a bit of an off night, by his own stellar standards. He still did some great things, and Rick loyally called his game "terrific."

Maxi (30 min) did well in a starting role. I really like the Maxi-KP combo defensively. He was 9-4-2, with 2 blocks, but his impact isn't primarily measured by the box score. 

Lee (29 min) got a starting berth, and impressed with 13 points (5-6 FGA), 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals, and a block. He also did a great defensive job on Morant and Brooks. Looked like a real, honest-to-goodness starting player! Rick gushed over the "tremendous" game Lee had, singling out two late-clock threes in the fourth quarter to keep the game in hand when the Grizz were looking like making a run. Courtney was smiling after the game, saying he had gotten a kick out of being an "old guy" guarding a candidate for rookie of the year. Lee fits well into the schemes -- one wonders if he will have a role in the postseason. 

Kristaps (29 min) put on an absolute CLINIC in this one. He had 26 points (9-19 FGA), 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, and 4 blocks. And he was even more dominant than his line would suggest, with the team an amazing +38 when he was on the court. OMG. He scored from everywhere on the floor, hitting threes, posting up, cutting, rolling, doing everything there is to do. No one could guard him, and Memphis had to settle for looking terrified any time he got the ball. Not only that, but he was crushing it on the defensive end, as well.  

Rick waxed enthusiastic over his star's "terrific" play, talking about his productivity, rim protection, rebounding, diving to the floor, making smart plays, and playing every minute in a winning way. What a fierce competitor! Considering KP's slow start to the season, seeing him play with this level of outstanding skill and superlative BBIQ is truly a thrill. Where should he be criticized? I got nothing. 

Boban (4 min) got a few garbage-time minutes, and took the opportunity to score 9 points. I love watching this guy play, lol. He had two buckets where he calmly made a motion like he was putting a book up on a shelf, to drop the ball in the basket like he didn't even notice the guy frantically guarding him. He also delighted the crowd with a three (be still, my heart!). What a fun player! 

Go Mavs!

Luka looks banged up, limping and hand hurting. Confused   Hope RC won't run him in the ground. Dodgy  Yes he's young but still may need to steal the young guy some recovery rest, especially for those knees.  Don't want to wear those out this early in his career. 

Lee has to start getting a little more love. Heart  This guy has showed some real veteran step up ability and energy. His teammates seem to really recognize it too. 

Really nice to see something coming together on the Mavs bigs.  KP in unicorn mode, Exclamation Exclamation Maxi continuing to come into his own Exclamation (DP was too, unfortunately).  

Boban is criminally under appreciated. Cool  Yes he's a 'fun' player but let's not imply he shouldn't be taken too seriously which seems to be what Carlisle's usage often indicates. 9 points in 4 minutes?  That kind of offensive ease and efficiency should offset some defensive weakness and get used more seriously in key stretches.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 121, Grizzlies 96 - by Dahlsim - 03-08-2020, 08:35 AM