Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Bulls 109
Mavs Deliver Clunker in Chicago

The Mavericks let another one slip away in an absent-minded effort against one of the Eastern Conference's bottom feeders. 

Game Story

Both sides entered the contest banged up. The Bulls had several players out, including Lauri Markkanen and Zach LaVine. For the Mavs, Porzingis was held out on the SEGABABA, Seth was out with lower back tightness, and Brunson was still rehabbing his shoulder. Luka was able to return after a game resting his injured thumb. WCS returned to the team after missing several games due to a death in his family. He dressed, but didn't play. We wish him and his loved ones all the best. The night's starting lineup was Luka/THJ/DFS/Lee/Maxi. 

The Mavs got off to a good start, and ended the first period leading 29-19, with Luka making his re-entry sporting a 10-point quarter. Both teams played to a draw in the second, and the visitors maintained their 10-point lead, going into halftime at 58-48.

According to the coach, the first part of the third quarter proved Dallas' downfall. The Bulls came out with intensity, and the Mavs looked like they were ready to load up the bus and head out. Their 10-point advantage turned to a 4-point deficit within six minutes. They never recovered. A couple of boneheaded Bulls errors made the game interesting in the last minute, but in the end, the Mavericks folded their tents and went home. 

Analytics

The difference came down to possessions, with the Bulls putting up 10 more shot attempts than the Mavs. Both teams were putrid from deep (Mavs 29%, Bulls 28%). The Mavericks depend on their three-point shooting as a matter of course, but THJ was 4-12, Luka 1-8, and the bench 0-6. Yikes. Our boys missed five free-throw attempts, which was more than twice the point differential for the game. The Mavs had an uncharacteristic 18 turnovers, surrendering 18 points, and also allowed 22 second-chance points. A lot of sloppy errors, along with poor shooting, doomed their efforts. The bench was beaten 60-19. Oof! Still, the team took advantage of some similarly poor play by the Bulls, and had a chance to win or tie at the end. 

Players

Luka (38 min) returned to play long minutes, and had a 23-5-9 line. His sprained thumb had improved since his last game, according to Rick, but it was clearly still bothering him. He completed 8-20 FGAs, missed three free throws, and had 4 turnovers, and I think the thumb played a part in those peccadillos. In addition, however, it seemed to me that he reverted to an extent to forcing the issue and trying to "do it all," rather than trusting his teammates and letting the game come to him against a poor team. The Bulls double-teamed him all night, and he is still adapting to giving the ball up in those circumstances. I guess Rome wasn't built in a day. Anyway, hope he recovers well. 

Tim (36 min) led the team with 26 points on 10-21 shooting. At the beginning of the season, I was pretty much on the fence regarding this player. I have realized now that I have gotten to where I really enjoy watching him play. He can have a tendency to get a little shot-happy, but when he is essentially the second option, he takes responsibility on himself to score. I love his quick release, his energy, and his versatility in putting points on the board. 

Maxi (34 min) had 13 points, 10 boards, and 3 blocks in a starting role. He has come a long way as a player this season, especially in terms of being a threat from long range (3-7 3PTA on the night). However, the team struggles without Porzingis on the floor, and Maxi is better as a supporting actor. Still, can't complain too much on this score. 

DFS (32 min) was a bright spot on a generally insipid night, with an 18-7-3 line. He was 7-10 from the floor, and his plays included three triples and a couple of ferocious flushes. I am intrigued with Doe Doe's development on the offensive end, and I think we should keep our eye on it. If the Mavs could count on the forward for double-digit scoring consistently, that would be major. He looked very confident out there. 

Wright (27 min) led the bench in minutes, and had 6 assists and 4 rebounds. He did a pretty good job of facilitating, but took (and missed) only two shots, and had some terrible turnovers and defensive lapses. I can't explain it. 

Lee (24 min) had 8 points as a starter, but his impact on the court was limited by his being in foul trouble for most of the game. 

Boban (22 minutes) got an unusual extended runout. I confess that I love it when Bobi plays. The gentle man-mountain made scoring look so easy -- 14 points on 7-11 shooting. In addition, he caused problems for the Bulls inside, and recorded 12 rebounds. Rick thought he was great on the court, and said they thought the tempo of this match would be slow enough to enable Boban to contribute. 

I don't exactly know why Carlisle always praises Marjanovic with left-handed compliments, but there we are. A couple of other observers laughingly remarked that during practice or before games, Bobi is always kind of goofy-looking, going around smiling and yucking it up, looking like a guy whom no one takes too seriously, but he is unfailingly ready and professional when his number is called. Jet thinks Rick should consider playing Boban more, as he is a mismatch nightmare for opponents and has a good shooting touch. 

Barea (13 min) had 5 assists, but didn't score. Not his best outing. 

Jackson and MKG had short stints on the floor, during which not much happened. 

Bulls. The short-staffed Bulls were better than I expected, mostly in the area of playing hard and staying focused. This was in contrast to the Mavs, who didn't seem to be concentrating, even being taken to task by Harp for allowing an offensive rebound and put back off a missed Chicago FTA. The Chicago squad is banged up, and has little to play for except pride, and kudos to them for making a game of it. 

Remarks

Rick was disappointed in his squad's disposition, especially in the third quarter. On the brighter side, he loved the last minute, in which the team scrapped for two steals, and Luka's half-court heave over two defenders at the buzzer was right in the slot, although it didn't fall. However, he volunteered that the NBA doesn't allow for taking 12 minutes off during a game.

The FSSW studio crew were disappointed in the team's energy level, although Dana did point out that it was the Mavs' fifth game in eight nights, and they might have been running low on gas. They attributed the poor mentality to this being a "getaway game" -- the last game at the end of a long road trip, everyone is ready to go home, they have a weak opponent, they anticipate a comfortable win, they're looking ahead to a big game on their return home, they don't play very hard, and they get punched in the mouth. Courtney Lee had no use for those excuses, saying that their job is to compete at the highest level, and they had instead let the match slip through their fingers. 

The Mavs have been mired in 7th place for a while, and it has been games like this that have kept them from having enough consistency to climb the seeding ladder. There are a number of reasons they might not have played their best in this contest. It was the fifth game in eight nights, at the end of a lengthy road trip. Luka's hand was still hurt. KP, Seth, and Brunson were out. Conditions weren't the best, to be sure. Still. . . .

Next. The Mavs face the Pelicans at the AAC. This should be an exciting game, and hopefully the Mavericks will be healthier, more rested, and more up for it. Good times. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 107, Bulls 109 - by mavsluvr - 03-03-2020, 03:28 AM