Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 123, Nets 111
(01-03-2020, 05:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 04:26 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 12:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(01-03-2020, 10:40 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I actually really liked the rotation last night. Luka looked locked in when he came in with 10 minutes left in the 4th and subsequently scored a quick 15. 

I do think the wear and tear of the season is getting to him though, and Luka hasn't looked 100% since the ankle injury.

The JJB lineups did not work. Starting five had terrible chemistry and was down 10 early. Jackson, JJB, Doncic and Powell on the floor together was an initation for the Nets to score at will. RC made the right adjustments after his early experiments failed. Kleber started the second quarter. Powell wasn´t used as the single big and played most of his minutes next to Kleber. Boban replaced both as the single big for the bench unit.

That said. The Mavs need another option that can play minutes at PF/C.

One word.  BOBAN

Mavs don't need another big, especially another BIG of the type that Carlisle really doesn't want to play in his system anyway. 

Seems a lot of fans don't recognize how Boban's presence on the floor absolutely changes the game offensively, giving them the other type of scoring they lack against certain defenses.  It presents some defensive challenges but it also gives them rebounding boost and forces at least one opposing big to stay glued to Boban around the rim. 

Dallas commentators mention it several times and Harp seems to really make a point of it.  Boban changes the floor for Dallas on offense in a really good way as a change of pace scoring. 

Thing is, he's only playing because KP is hurt, no matter how well he plays.  Get another bruising big man, its not going to change if history is any indicator.  They won't fit the system.  
At this point Boban has a better chance to get time probably just because he's been a team player and earned some trust.

Boban is an option but it really depends on the matchup. He can be a big positive or a huge liability. Last game was perfect for him. The Nets don´t have a stretch big and even a big body like Deandre looks like a child next to Boban.
The Mavs need another rim protector that can either shoot or rim run. 6 more fouls and hard defense on a given night. Without KP the only regular rotation bigs that RC will play are Kleber and Powell. Both are not good in single big lineups. Looking at the lineup numbers it seems like the ideal solution is playing both of them together. For no KP cases that leaves Boban as the only remaining big of the bench.
In other words in theory the Mavs have 96 minutes for PFs/Cs. RC likes to play small ball 4s like DFS or Jackson so in reality the Mavs probably have 80 minutes for bigs.

Currently we have:
KP 31 min
Powell 26 min
Maxi 24 min

Boban 10 min

When KP is out the 3 remaining guys aren´t enough to cover his minutes

Good analysis, I like the post but as I've observed, Carlisle is not as likely to play Big all those minutes in replacement of KP as he is to simply go with more small ball minutes.   We're more likely to see minutes go to either a small forward like Jackson or even 2/3 wing or 3 guard lineup to eat up minutes vs. a traditional PF / C.   

Powell and Kleber have achieved the difficult status of being BIG men that Rick Carlisle is actually willing to trust and play.  Boban, not so much but has some trust, as you say depending on matchups.  I happen think he can survive more match ups than Rick Carlisle thinks but that's not going to happen so whatever. 

Your point is valid but I think the solution for Coach is going to be more small ball minutes rather than going out and getting another PF/C or even if they do that they actually play the guy.  I'll be happy to be wrong.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 123, Nets 111 - by Dahlsim - 01-03-2020, 05:54 PM